Better PS3 controller?

A-Rebirth

I play daily... except if I take a few weeks break sometimes. When I play "daily" I can play games like 5-15 hours in a row. Also my kid is playing a lot. That also means that these original PS3 controllers get trashed way too often. I have to buy a few new controllers like every year. Every controller get worn out out... sticks stop working, buttons get locked etc. Without any bad handling! I want to look into some more premium or quality product with better materials that is a bit more long lasting. I've been digging into it a bit. I've heard that Scuff gaming made controllers of a little bit higher quality? Somebody else told me it would be a waste of money... I have no never tried these controllers. Are they made "better" than original controllers or is it only bs? How about other options?

The DualShock 4 works with about 70% of PS3 games although you would not get Sixaxis or rumble out of it. But if you're looking for a controller for your PS3 that is not a DualShock 3 then you're probably not going to have rumble or Sixaxis support anyway.

Edited by olimoo101

The newest matt black PS3 controllers last an insane amount of time I was playing for over 6 hours (i'm pretty sure i've been playing more than 15 hours with mine and it still hasnt needed to be charged) and it was stil on 3 bars, thats a brand new one, seems to last way longer than my older ones. See what other people say though.

Edited by Superbuu3

I have never had a problem using a DualShock 4 on my PS3 especially after they added the ability to connect wirelessly. That being said I do believe there are some older games that are not compatible but, I have not run into any naturally. As far as SCUF goes their controllers for PS3 are modified DualShock 3s so the base product would not be any sturdier.

Edited by PhantomOfThorns

I always thought the Sony DS3 was best? Mine last a big longer than yours, also, I've gotten real good at opening up a couple and piecing them together to make one good controller. That's a good way to extend the life of them.

I gotta agree with this. If you're having problems with DS3, they might be magnified with anything else.

I personally like DS3 better than DS4.

I play daily... except if I take a few weeks break sometimes. When I play "daily" I can play games like 5-15 hours in a row. Also my kid is playing a lot. That also means that these original PS3 controllers get trashed way too often. I have to buy a few new controllers like every year. Every controller get worn out out... sticks stop working, buttons get locked etc. Without any bad handling! I want to look into some more premium or quality product with better materials that is a bit more long lasting. I've been digging into it a bit. I've heard that Scuff gaming made controllers of a little bit higher quality? Somebody else told me it would be a waste of money... I have no never tried these controllers. Are they made "better" than original controllers or is it only bs? How about other options?

Just to apply some numbers to your scenario, at 5 hours a day you're looking at almost 2,000 hours a year, plus whatever your kid is playing. At 15 hours a day, that/s almost 5,500 hours a year, plus whatever your kid is playing. You're likely averaging between the two, around 3,500, plus your kids hours. I have no idea how long others expect controllers to last, but I'd think somewhere in the 10,000 hours is reasonable.

My experience is Sony controllers are way more durable and reliable than any third party, although I've never spent more than $40 on a 3rd party. I have three 3rd party controllers (madcatz, and two with no visible brands) and none of them last as long, feel weighted properly or are as reliable (random disconnects and unresponsive button presses) as the Sony controllers. 

I'd suggest you buy two identical controllers, preferably different colors to tell them apart easily. You use one, your kid can use the other exclusively. When yours is not in use, by you, keep it locked up. See which of your controllers gets "worn out" faster. Sometimes these mysteries aren't so mysterious when you eliminate as many variables as you can.

Maybe buy a PS2 controller with a converter cable? I used to give my PS2 controller hell and I only broke 1. This would also be a lot cheaper than buying DS3s. I can't really compare the quality because I take much better care of my DS3s. Only 1 or 2 have broke, though my controllers are lasting me longer as I get older. I don't know how old your kid is but you could give them a cheaper sturdy controller.

Maybe buy a PS2 controller with a converter cable? I used to give my PS2 controller hell and I only broke 1. This would also be a lot cheaper than buying DS3s. I can't really compare the quality because I take much better care of my DS3s. Only 1 or 2 have broke, though my controllers are lasting me longer as I get older. I don't know how old your kid is but you could give them a cheaper sturdy controller.

Yeah I agree... I played A LOT Playstation 2 back in the days... Maybe even more than PS3 for that whole generation. I didn't need to exchange a single controller since a few months after the PS2 release. That's incredible... Never thought about getting a PS2 controller and adapter. Also the "new" DS4 controllers seems to be of better quality than DS3 for PS3. They just "feels" better but maybe they're not as longlasting as they seems to be... I got my brand new PS4 Pro today and until now I have just been borrowing a original PS4 from the neighbour. So I have not that much experience of DS3 yet...

Just to apply some numbers to your scenario, at 5 hours a day you're looking at almost 2,000 hours a year, plus whatever your kid is playing. At 15 hours a day, that/s almost 5,500 hours a year, plus whatever your kid is playing. You're likely averaging between the two, around 3,500, plus your kids hours. I have no idea how long others expect controllers to last, but I'd think somewhere in the 10,000 hours is reasonable.

My experience is Sony controllers are way more durable and reliable than any third party, although I've never spent more than $40 on a 3rd party. I have three 3rd party controllers (madcatz, and two with no visible brands) and none of them last as long, feel weighted properly or are as reliable (random disconnects and unresponsive button presses) as the Sony controllers. 

I'd suggest you buy two identical controllers, preferably different colors to tell them apart easily. You use one, your kid can use the other exclusively. When yours is not in use, by you, keep it locked up. See which of your controllers gets "worn out" faster. Sometimes these mysteries aren't so mysterious when you eliminate as many variables as you can.

I did a misstake by getting (a few of) these controllers in used condition. And also a few of them I used was aftermarket controllers... The "new" controllers has been way more long lasting than the used ones or the aftermarket controllers... Maybe I shoudn't be so greedy and shouldn't expect cheaper aftermarket controllers being good at all. I've no good reason anyway to not buy new original controllers except that I'm looking for something even better. I don't want to keep a controller for one and a half year. I want to keep my controller for 3-4 years if not more... That's my main issue. But maybe there are no "premium", "high end" or "high quality" options around.

How about colorware? I know they're known for their true 24k gold controllers. But that may just be some "bling bling" rather than true quality. Are there not anyone at these forums that can tell if custom controllers like Colorware, Evil Controllers, Scuff etc. actually ARE better?? Do all of them only use original parts with just "custom" modifications? Or are any of them actually built better? I am really willing to pay 100 - 200 $ for a controller as long as there are any true difference except the design. And I'm not interested in mods/cheating just a better "feeling" and a more "solid" higher quality controller.

Edited by A-Rebirth

Hey Op, I use an Xbox one elite controller on my ps3 and ps4. I had to pay a bit for the adapter but it was worth it imo. The DS3 is a great controller and I do like it, however the rubber thumb grips seem to start melting as it's always hot were I live.

anything came inside the box with the system is always the best quality, i'm talking about the official first party dual shock 3 controllers, mine lasted 3 years stright before the left thumb stick started to have a mind of its own and finally let loose.

you can find these controllers everywhere, but be careful not to get yourself a fake ones, these none official controllers feel cheap, battery lasted 20 minutes or even worse, games that require motion sensor sixaxis like beyond: two souls won't work with them properly and the thumb sticks are so heavy.

I have several PS3 gamepads, some used on PS3, some used on PSTV. All but the PSTV ones are different colours, that being red, light silver and dark silver for PS3, black for PSTV. The red and light silver are mine, and the dark silver is my girlfriend's.

None of them have needed replacing, though one of the black PSTV ones (that is one of my oldest PS3 gamepads) has a break on the shoulder button that is an issue.

In my experience, the ones made by Sony themselves always seem to be more durable than the imitation ones.

I still have my original PS3 controller going strong, but my PS4 controller on the other hand is shot to bits. I'd stick to an original Sony PS3 controller - by the sounds of it, you are getting a lot of hours use out them anyway.

I also agree thar the original ones are best quality. Had my ps3 7 years and I am on my second pair. Its usually that a groove gets worn in the side of the stick for me, where it rubs the controller casing.

But i also think the ps3 controller is much more robust than the ps4 one. I am already on my third controller, one was replaced under warranty when the R2 trigger went. The second controller wasn't far behind, but i fixed that myself. Now the groove is back on that one too. And both this pair have buggered thumbstick covers that tore off. Thats an easy fix though, i like my knobbly covers