Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Announcement Trailer

Parker

I honestly feel there is a lot of potential left in the Uncharted series without Nate/Elena. I would totally be down for them to keep doing these side stories, maybe one for Sully in his prime. Sam after the events of UC4 maybe?

Also for $40 this is a day one purchase no questions asked. 

7 minutes ago, TVDex252 said:

I honestly feel there is a lot of potential left in the Uncharted series without Nate/Elena. I would totally be down for them to keep doing these side stories, maybe one for Sully in his prime. Sam after the events of UC4 maybe?

I'd rather see another Uncharted game with Nate.I haven't play UC4 yet but they could make a game and cover the events that happened between UC2 & UC3.Playing them back2back on ps4,i felt like i missed a lot

Edited by sephiroth4424
  • Like 1

Just now, sephiroth4424 said:

I'd rather see anonther Uncharted game with Nate.I haven't play UC4 yet but they could make a game and cover the events that happened between UC2 & UC3.Playing them back2back on ps4,i felt like a missed a lot

I get that but I felt UC4 ended perfectly where I really don't wanna see them doing anything else with him. Even if it were in the past. Im also kinda tired of his humor and personality after 4 games. But I totally understand why someone would want more with Nate.

• Like 2

That's a bit too expensive for me to consider a day one purchase. I love Uncharted, but I'm not willing to spend that much on something that isn't even a full game. And no, the inclusion of Jak and Daxter doesn't mean a whole lot to me. :P I'll just wait until it goes down in price before I pick it up.

• Like 1

Eh looks like more Uncharted to me which is great to those who enjoy the series, but I personally am not a big fan of the franchise at all. Didn't really like 4. Pacing was all over the place and I couldn't finish it. 

What I think is interesting is the Jak 1 pre-order bonus. Really looking forward to replaying the Jak games and with this I'm starting to wonder if all the Jak games are releasing on August 22nd or if it's just Jak 1.

Jak games are a day 1 buy for me so I hope they are released on the 22nd. Hopefully they also have a nice bundle with all the games I can just buy for 50 or 60 bucks. 

1 hour ago, TVDex252 said:

1 hour ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I'd rather see another Uncharted game with Nate.I haven't play UC4 yet but they could make a game and cover the events that happened between UC2 & UC3.Playing them back2back on ps4,i felt like i missed a lot

1 hour ago, Ratchet said:

Eh looks like more Uncharted to me which is great to those who enjoy the series, but I personally am not a big fan of the franchise at all. Didn't really like 4. Pacing was all over the place and I couldn't finish it. 

I like Nathan and wouldn't mind seeing more of him. I thought Uncharted 4 was the best of the franchise yet and its only flaw was the awful romantic plot tumour between Nathan and Elena. 

I guess I'd prefer non-Nathan titles though. One about Sully would be cool though I wouldn't mind if he wasn't in his prime, we could do with an old cool guy action game for once. Or a time skip and have the protagonist be 

Spoiler

Nathan and Elena's daughter.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the franchise but I certainly enjoy the games enough to want to play this iteration as well, even considering a day one purchase.

What I think is interesting is the Jak 1 pre-order bonus. Really looking forward to replaying the Jak games and with this I'm starting to wonder if all the Jak games are releasing on August 22nd or if it's just Jak 1.

Jak games are a day 1 buy for me so I hope they are released on the 22nd. Hopefully they also have a nice bundle with all the games I can just buy for 50 or 60 bucks. 

Having played the Jal trilogy two years ago on PS3, I can say I'd definitely play Jak1 again at some point but I'm kind of done with 2 and 3, much less fun than I remembered them being back on PS2. And Jak X was just mediocre (my opinion, though shared with many others).

I'd be surprised if you wouldn't be able to buy them for 60 bucks even without a bundle, they don't seem like games that will cost more than 15 a piece.

Edited by BillyHorrible
Somehow the "4" missed when I typed I thought it was the best of the series.
  • Like 2

With the annoucement of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy being paired up with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy as a pre-order bonus, things have gotten super more interesting! This is Naughty Dog's first time actually including one of their older games with their new games or any games at all. Insomniac has done it as well with their brother to JaD series, R&C via Deadlocked bundled with Full Frontal Assault, but now ND are doing it.

What makes this incredibly interesting though is how theres a strong parallel here:

• Jak and Daxter helped create the Uncharted series, as in both assets used from a handed off Jak sequel back in the mid 2000s helped to make Uncharted 1, and then concepts from the J.trilogy were used throughout the Uncharted series.
  • There's the obvious name reference ND took from JaD: The Precursor Legacy and arguably their handed off project known as JaD: The Lost Frontier (Frontier and Legacy can be treated as synonyms).
  • Thirdly, ND (unless Sony has a larger hand in this formation) are finally paying a more appropriate homage to the series that strongly helped Uncharted become the success it is today that aren't just easter eggs and minor other references, some of which are way too vague for everyone to notice is a nod to Jak.
  • For their first time, and with this particular series, Naughty Dog and/or Sony have made a genius business decision here, one which is impressive for a game that came out almost 20yrs ago (+ first aforementioned bullet point ^), and especially noteworthy for the missed opportunity with The Last of Us (PS3), yet another game that the Jak series helped create (with the numerous amount of Jak references present in it, moreso than Uncharted, as supportive proof), not having included a digital bundled version of Jak II and Jak 3 (since TPL would have been out of context here for its non-matching tone, and Jak II so happens to be a sufficient reboot in this case for the Jak series).

As for the decision on making it the first game bundled with UTLL as opposed to the others (II, 3, X)? This makes the most sense. Regardless if II, 3, and X were better games, using JaD:TPL still makes more sense. The double The Legacies aspect is very clever and cool, and this is the first Jak game. Randomly choosing a sequel would be illogical as there's actually 4 games to choose from, as opposed to there being only one choice (e.g Dead Space Extraction, CoD: MWR, CoD: C).

Edited by Mar

Now as for Uncharted, I like the take on a main character that isn't Nathan, but Uncharted is a pretty mediocre franchise overall (mostly because of the weak gameplay). Uncharted 4 certainly was not that good and it clearly, evidently had more problems than just "the romantic plot tumor", smh: (1. the whole call to action with Sam's character, 2. the over-focus on Sam [present and past/backstory], 3. to whom overshadowed Elena and Sully heavily, 4. the weakest cast throughout the whole series, 5. weak villains, 6. poor writing on Rafe's character from the literal beginning to end of game [his morals, beliefs, and actions contradict themselves], 6. the over abundance of climbing [padding], 7. the over-due gameplay editions that should have existed in prior titles includes the retcon grappling hook - 8. the poor pacing at times, 9. the poor presentation - storytelling wise - at the beginning of the game that did the opposite of what Uncharted 2's did, 10. weaker character development, 11. retcon brother who has never been mentioned, at all, serving as the concept that justifies a full on Uncharted 3 sequel, etc).

Seeing Chloe and Nadine (who still looks way too similar to Marlene) in this video just goes to show how really formulaic Naughty Dog have become. It's like grown up Ellie and grown up Riley in the Uncharted universe. Alternatively, you could also say it's just Nathan with the Chloe skin. It's the same structure of stories and concepts; looking for a treasure and strengthening relationship. How in the hell is this still fun or engaging? It's the samething, just via a change of scenery through the chars and world. As I was looking at Chloe figuring out the clues and so fourth, it just felt too familiar; it's the samething as watching what Nathan does in all the Uncharted games. Going to be the same jog through an environment and have casual to heavy conversations with filler climbing with armies of soldiers waiting to be killed by mediocre stealth mechanics, shallow combat, and simplistic shooting mechanics to doing not so engaging puzzles to rinse and repeat.

Naughty Dog just rely on storytelling and character interactions to carry their games. What about more innovation and compelling gameplay (something TLOU partially commited on)? There's literally no excitement to be found in the trailer, aside from the buff to sexualisation, which I appreciate for appropriate reasonings. It's Uncharted 4.5 with 2 females replacing the usual 2 males. How many installments do the franchise need before it becomes commonly accepted that there isn't much to these games at all and that they're incredibly formulaic and shallow? Main characters don't die.. even when they should or are falsely fore-shadowed to be, story is padded through extended boring climbing and "oh the treasure isn't here, it's there, no wait it's not here either", gameplay is shallow and convoluted, etc. 

Uncharted's flaws never seem to matter, at all. It's quite ridiculous. Why the hell does this series get away with it?! Mediocre, passable, average, are all relevant key words with the Uncharted series. I'm getting UTLL for one obvious reason and the other reason being Chloe's backstory, which is really not a good reason to get a game at prices like this and up. Uncharted does everything else passable, though to the extent that I can casually tolerate it (though U4 nearly took me a year to finish, a problem Ive never had with the other Uncharted games, even the remasters I played through less than 2 yrs ago).

Edited by Mar
Removed quoted post

1 hour ago, Mar said:

Uncharted 4 certainly was not that good and it clearly, evidently had more problems than just "the romantic plot tumor", smh: (1. the whole call to action with Sam's character, 2. the over-focus on Sam [present and past/backstory], 3. to whom overshadowed Elena and Sully heavily, 4. the weakest cast throughout the whole series, 5. weak villains, 6. poor writing on Rafe's character from the literal beginning to end of game [his morals, beliefs, and actions contradict themselves], 6. the over abundance of climbing [padding], 7. the over-due gameplay editions that should have existed in prior titles includes the retcon grappling hook - 8. the poor pacing at times, 9. the poor presentation - storytelling wise - at the beginning of the game that did the opposite of what Uncharted 2's did, 10. weaker character development, 11. retcon brother who has never been mentioned, at all, serving as the concept that justifies a full on Uncharted 3 sequel, etc).

Stop ridiculing my opinion. Having a different opinion than me is fine but you constantly feel the need to add stuff like "clearly", "evidently", "literally", "smh"... Just stop it.

Yes, I thought Uncharted 4 was the best of the four games. 1 through 3: campy, fun Indiana Jones plots, excellent cinematography, mediocre gameplay. U4 keeps all that except the gameplay is much improved, only real downside for me is the romantic plot tumour with Elena which is just distracting from the adventuring. "Shake your head" all you want, it is still my opinion.

1/2/3/11 are all basically the same point (you don't like Sam). Personally I didn't mind him that much, yeah it caused some retcons but I thought his character fits in well within the series.

4/5/6 (the Rafe 6)/10 all the same point (weak characters/development), I thought the only problem with the characters was that Chloe was missing. Yeah Rafe was not that great but then again I can't recall any of the 1-3 villains at all.

6 (the climbing 6): you call it padding, I call it a bigger focus on exploration. As someone who thinks Tomb Raider is too action oriented now and should go back to its platforming roots, I applaud this change of pace.

7 I don't get how something being added to a series that makes it better can be a detractor of the title because earlier installments didn't have it. That's like saying Mario Kart 64 is stupid for adding blue shells because Super Mario Kart should have had them already.

8/9 only thing wrong with the pacing and story presentation was the romance tumour, the rest was fine in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Mar said:

Seeing Chloe and Nadine (who still looks way too similar to Marlene) in this video just goes to show how really formulaic Naughty Dog have become. It's like grown up Ellie and grown up Riley in the Uncharted universe. Alternatively, you could also say it's just Nathan with the Chloe skin. It's the same structure of stories and concepts; looking for a treasure and strengthening relationship. How in the hell is this still fun or engaging? It's the samething, just via a change of scenery through the chars and world. As I was looking at Chloe figuring out the clues and so fourth, it just felt too familiar; it's the samething as watching what Nathan does in all the Uncharted games. Going to be the same jog through an environment and have casual to heavy conversations with filler climbing with armies of soldiers waiting to be killed by mediocre stealth mechanics, shallow combat, and simplistic shooting mechanics to doing not so engaging puzzles to rinse and repeat.

Naughty Dog hasn't "become" formulaic, they have always been formulaic. They're just better at presentation than many other devs.

Calling Chloe "Nathan with a Chloe skin" is pretty fitting as Nathan himself is the offspring of Lara Croft (combined with Indiana Jones), Uncharted going female protagonist while Tomb Raider doing less platforming and more Uncharted presentation means there's no telling which is which any more, we've gone full circle.

I and many others don't care if it's more of the same, people often like more of the same. I can't wait for the next Assassin's Creed game.

I agree that much of the gameplay has been mediocre in earlier Uncharted titles but 4 improved a lot and the presentation by Naughty Dog has always been great so I can't wait for more.

1 hour ago, Mar said:

Naughty Dog just rely on storytelling and character interactions to carry their games. What about more innovation and compelling gameplay (something TLOU partially commited on)? There's literally no excitement to be found in the trailer, aside from the buff to sexualisation, which I appreciate for appropriate reasonings. It's Uncharted 4.5 with 2 females replacing the usual 2 males. How many installments do the franchise need before it becomes commonly accepted that there isn't much to these games at all and that they're incredibly formulaic and shallow? Main characters don't die.. even when they should or are falsely fore-shadowed to be, story is padded through extended boring climbing and "oh the treasure isn't here, it's there, no wait it's not here either", gameplay is shallow and convoluted, etc. 

Uncharted's flaws never seem to matter, at all. It's quite ridiculous. Why the hell does this series get away with it?! Mediocre, passable, average, are all relevant key words with the Uncharted series. I'm getting UTLL for one obvious reason and the other reason being Chloe's backstory, which is really not a good reason to get a game at prices like this and up. Uncharted does everything else passable, though to the extent that I can casually tolerate it (though U4 nearly took me a year to finish, a problem Ive never had with the other Uncharted games, even the remasters I played through less than 2 yrs ago).

As said before, I think Naughty Dog, with Uncharted and The Last Of Us, has created games with mediocre gameplay, clichéd but engaging stories with excellent presentation and cinematography, which is why I keep coming back for more. It's too bad that Naughty Dog feels they're too mature to make another Crash or Jak 1 game but I wouldn't want a Jak 4 if it had meant missing out on The Last Of Us or Uncharted 3 or 4.

I thought Chloe and Sully were the best characters in the Uncharted franchise. With The Lost Legacy, one of these is getting their own title and I'm very happy about that. Now all we need is a standalone about Sully!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Stop ridiculing my opinion. Having a different opinion than me is fine but you constantly feel the need to add stuff like "clearly", "evidently", "literally", "smh"... Just stop it.

Yes, I thought Uncharted 4 was the best of the four games. 1 through 3: campy, fun Indiana Jones plots, excellent cinematography, mediocre gameplay. U4 keeps all that except the gameplay is much improved, only real downside for me is the romantic plot tumour with Elena which is just distracting from the adventuring. "Shake your head" all you want, it is still my opinion.

1/2/3/11 are all basically the same point (you don't like Sam). Personally I didn't mind him that much, yeah it caused some retcons but I thought his character fits in well within the series.

4/5/6 (the Rafe 6)/10 all the same point (weak characters/development), I thought the only problem with the characters was that Chloe was missing. Yeah Rafe was not that great but then again I can't recall any of the 1-3 villains at all.

6 (the climbing 6): you call it padding, I call it a bigger focus on exploration. As someone who thinks Tomb Raider is too action oriented now and should go back to its platforming roots, I applaud this change of pace.

7 I don't get how something being added to a series that makes it better can be a detractor of the title because earlier installments didn't have it. That's like saying Mario Kart 64 is stupid for adding blue shells because Super Mario Kart should have had them already.

8/9 only thing wrong with the pacing and story presentation was the romance tumour, the rest was fine in my eyes.

Naughty Dog hasn't "become" formulaic, they have always been formulaic. They're just better at presentation than many other devs.

Calling Chloe "Nathan with a Chloe skin" is pretty fitting as Nathan himself is the offspring of Lara Croft (combined with Indiana Jones), Uncharted going female protagonist while Tomb Raider doing less platforming and more Uncharted presentation means there's no telling which is which any more, we've gone full circle.

I and many others don't care if it's more of the same, people often like more of the same. I can't wait for the next Assassin's Creed game.

I agree that much of the gameplay has been mediocre in earlier Uncharted titles but 4 improved a lot and the presentation by Naughty Dog has always been great so I can't wait for more.

As said before, I think Naughty Dog, with Uncharted and The Last Of Us, has created games with mediocre gameplay, clichéd but engaging stories with excellent presentation and cinematography, which is why I keep coming back for more. It's too bad that Naughty Dog feels they're too mature to make another Crash or Jak 1 game but I wouldn't want a Jak 4 if it had meant missing out on The Last Of Us or Uncharted 3 or 4.

I thought Chloe and Sully were the best characters in the Uncharted franchise. With The Lost Legacy, one of these is getting their own title and I'm very happy about that. Now all we need is a standalone about Sully!

"Stop ridiculing my opinion"? You just wanted to get that in there so badly. Im not going to stop using verbs that are appropriate to a statement I make. Just because you dont see a problem, generally, doesnt mean it dont exist. First off, every game has more than 1 problem, so my word choice is already justified. And you're offended at my word choice for no good healthy reason. You act like im saying "your opinions are clearly wrong" or "U4 is obviously/evidently not the best", I merely said its obvious that the romance between E/D is not the only flaw with the game... since were talking about the whole game, includes MULTIPLAYER btw (boy that MP... hardly even active less than a year after release), not just the story mode.

Spoiler

You thought U4 was the best. Ok, I disagreed and listed some reasons why. It's the biggest game, yes, but part of that comes from a lot of padding, and bigger dont mean best. It was the same crap with Jak II, a game you have no problems criticizing. J2's city and some missions dragged out the game. U4 does the same via climbing.. something that's actually pretty commonly agreed upon by reviewers, and other stuff. Good cinematography =/= good story or plot btw.

No, im not biased like that where feelings control my judgments. Dislikes and likes are irrelevant when im trying my best to be objective, hence why I can openly and seamlessly criticize Jak if I need to. How does he fit well into the series? Because he was well acted? He doesnt fit as he was never mentioned prior to U4. He's a made up character who's supposely Nate's long lost brother. (Youre suppose to think from his role perspective, not him just generally as a regular char.) Fitting because he's a human who likes treasure hunting? What char has ever not fitted into an Uncharted game? You need to remember Uncharted had 3 full games, and because of it, made Uncharted a fully developed series by U3, enough to end the franchise there, as originally intended. Retconned brother is used to create U4. Retconned brother is used as the call of action for Nathan to adventure again because U3 development was too strong (GG U3), continue the Uncharted timeline. Retconned brother receives majority of spotlight. Meaningless foreshadowing becomes meaningless. Retconned brother overshadows Elena and Sully (U2 handle chars roles and screentime way better) and takes up do much screen time that its truly forgettable what Sully and Elena did in U4, which wasnt much anyway. Compared to their roles in Uncharted 3.. and even 2 though?! Chloe was better balanced than Sam. Naughty Dog had to use the blood card to justify an Uncharted 4. They werent creative enough to come up with a well thought out call to action. The plot then revolves around his uninteresting char (or can you tell me what makes him an interestering char?). And the camera is focused on him majority of the time.

The stuff I said with Rafe im not repeating. From what he is written to be, he's incompently handled; poorly written right from the beginning - a certain action he does in prison to certain mid story things he does.. all the way to the end of the game where he's out of character and contradicting his agenda. Apparantly ND had to do this because of their choice with Nadine, and the lack of a 3rd antagonist. (That hole they dug tho.) Nadine doesnt have his inconsistencies at all, especially towards the end where she expresses her feelings on a matter, because her role is nearly handled faithfully entirely. She has issues to, but the times she is on screen, her writing is actually on point. I think theres a misunderstanding here where you think good acting and expressive personality makes a good character or well written character. 

Exploration... that's not rewarded huh? So what youre saying is its fine in openworld games where a lot of large openworld space is really bland and just there to add to the size of the world. Its fine because of exploration.

No.. you know what? Im refraining from this argument. Im sorry but I just cant anymore. Your opinions are way too weird for me, seriously, and its clear I wont convince you, at all. 

Though I have to say your 7. was terribly flawed (and your Jak [1] part was biased since the presentation and cinematography started with Jak and was excellent and engaging. Jak still has more and plot-twist than Uncharted does to, and its never predictable like Uncharted's. If you disagree, I cant even, but it will make certain things obvious). That's not even a comparison that's simply a misunderstanding on your behalf. Like seriously, you didnt even try to understand my point. Theres literally a plot hole in U2 via the Tenzin ice segment now thanks to the U4, so that wasnt an opinion either. Driving is a late addition as ND incorporated it in both their prior franchises easily, and since Elena drove in U1 and Nathan drove a buggy in U2 via cutscene (note im getting tired of typing). The piton's concept... why do I have to go over common sense? All of a sudden, there are multiple sliding segments in U4? All of a sudden, theres larger wall and mountain gaps that require a piton in U4? All of a sudden the grappling hook makes a flawed return and is only now conveniently useful? The blue shell in Mario had never existed before, it's a fair new gameplay addition, and it doesnt contradict any past events that included it :facepalm:.

Opinions are opinions, but lets not act like people dont say stupid things, and that good counterpoints cant be made. I didnt even include the MP, which is relevant because it launched with the game, its a core feature, and a stample feature in the U.series. Im done here, but from a general perspective, U4 has more isdue than those 2 things you listed. That's all thst really matters. Not everything I said was an opinion.

I'm so excited for this addition to the Uncharted series, I already had this pre ordered when I purchased the season pass last year.

I am looking forward to seeing Chloe once again and get to experience an adventure with her, the recent trailer was so good.

Was partway through writing another reply (in the middle of trying to explain the difference between "opinion" and "fact") until I decided not to bother any more.

I really like Uncharted 4, I think it's the best in the franchise. That's my opinion. The story was just as clichéd as the previous games but the presentation was even better, the gameplay was a lot better, and the only big flaw I was bothered by during my first playthrough was how annoying it became to keep interrupting an adventure with some romance drama I wasn't even interested in as I thought Chloe was much more interesting than Elena. Those are my opinions.

How much fun I had with U4, combined with how much I like Chloe, how cool I think it is that there's more female protagonists these days and how much I like adventure stories in general means that I'm very excited for The Lost Legacy. That's all there is to it, and if you don't like it then for all I care you can jump down a cliff faster than Nate does when I'm actually trying to get him to jump to the side.

15 hours ago, Mar said:

Now as for Uncharted, I like the take on a main character that isn't Nathan, but Uncharted is a pretty mediocre franchise overall (mostly because of the weak gameplay). Uncharted 4 certainly was not that good and it clearly, evidently had more problems than just "the romantic plot tumor", smh: (1. the whole call to action with Sam's character, 2. the over-focus on Sam [present and past/backstory], 3. to whom overshadowed Elena and Sully heavily, 4. the weakest cast throughout the whole series, 5. weak villains, 6. poor writing on Rafe's character from the literal beginning to end of game [his morals, beliefs, and actions contradict themselves], 6. the over abundance of climbing [padding], 7. the over-due gameplay editions that should have existed in prior titles includes the retcon grappling hook - 8. the poor pacing at times, 9. the poor presentation - storytelling wise - at the beginning of the game that did the opposite of what Uncharted 2's did, 10. weaker character development, 11. retcon brother who has never been mentioned, at all, serving as the concept that justifies a full on Uncharted 3 sequel, etc).

I don't know. I for one am happy to have Chloe return because she pretty much disappeared midway through Uncharted 3 and I was disappointed she never really showed up in Uncharted 4 (besides multiplayer). For being a central character in Uncharted 2, I thought she deserved more so I'm glad to see Naughty Dog decided to give her the spotlight for once. 

4 hours ago, Terra said:

I don't know. I for one am happy to have Chloe return because she pretty much disappeared midway through Uncharted 3 and I was disappointed she never really showed up in Uncharted 4 (besides multiplayer). For being a central character in Uncharted 2, I thought she deserved more so I'm glad to see Naughty Dog decided to give her the spotlight for once. 

Im excited for her to? But ND have been relying A LOT now on using the past to better develop characters and/or introduce new ones (Ellie, Sam, Nathan TWICE, Sully, Sam). This backwards development process isn't too effective, given her role in Uncharted 3 was still terrible and she wasnt in Uncharted 4. Now they just create a side adventure game to give her screen time and development they couldnt do for her in the main series. (True AAA version of Left Behind tho.) That doesn't excuse her poor execution in U3 and absence in U4, which even you pointed out, that's cheap. (Then there's Charlie. ND's worse utilized character in their career?)

It was fine when it happened to Nathan in U3, cause it was within the main game. But happening again in U4 and it being used to make up most of the story is just a similar problem to me - using the innocent past life... to create a continuation/new story... to a fully developed story-line and character..., who's past was just recently explored and focused on in prior game -- lets do it again in the next game..., but expand on it... AND make a new story out of it. 

Anyways Ellie with Left Behind regarding the past to better develop characters, to, etc. My problem is how much ND rely on this formula (to cover themselves), trying to use a side adventure game to redeem themselves for her lackness in U3 and U4.

Will TLOU2 do a DLC for Joel's past, Ellie's past before the time skip, or the new character that inevitably be introduced in TLOU2? Let's see some future expansions, instead of using the past to cheaply develop characters more and give them screen time for their lack of screen time in main game (U2 didnt need it. U3 didnt do it. Is my point more clear yet?)  Again, my issue is how much ND rely on this to. It's worse enough their games are already similar with them - as in Uncharted and TLOU - always being 3rd person shooters, having similar swimming mechanics, an outright shared shallow melee combat system between U4/TLOU, etc. It's like the same games with slight different design choices. 

But overall, dont get me wrong. Im not actually arguing or disagreeing with you, it's the contrary actually. My only issue is the execution. She simply should have been in the main series games with Lost Legacy serving as a bonus or cherry on top kind of thing. Prioritizing, greatly, Sam in the MAIN SERIES over a staple Uncharted female character(s) and then using a DLC expansion that focuses on her particular char to redeem that decision made in U4 is my issue. It's more to it than that to, cause her entire absence in U4 is being exploited by ND by them using her absence to draw in more consumers/fans, hence why it's her instead of ANYONE ELSE. Supportive proof of this is her re-buffed ass to that the camera so happen to have showed a good bit of, heightening her return. (They even got Nadine up in there because they know she wasn't that good of a character in U4, but my concern is Chloe, especially since she's already a secondary main character of the franchise.)

Sorry for text wall.

Edited by Mar
Clean up for previous edit.

I was gonna be grabbing the disc version of the game, but if the price for the disc version is similar to the PSN one, I'm kinda tempted to go in for Jak. I mean, 55 AUD is a bit more than I was expecting (my guess was around 40 odd for the disc version) but since the disc will in all likelihood be 50 or just under at launch, I'd be inclined to go that way, but unless EB or someone also includes the Jak download, I might be swayed. I'd prefer the disc though, but throwing in a free game, whether it's just a PS2 re-release or not, is a good incentive to buy digital and I can get down with this shit.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I was gonna be grabbing the disc version of the game, but if the price for the disc version is similar to the PSN one, I'm kinda tempted to go in for Jak. I mean, 55 AUD is a bit more than I was expecting (my guess was around 40 odd for the disc version) but since the disc will in all likelihood be 50 or just under at launch, I'd be inclined to go that way, but unless EB or someone also includes the Jak download, I might be swayed. I'd prefer the disc though, but throwing in a free game, whether it's just a PS2 re-release or not, is a good incentive to buy digital and I can get down with this shit.

Anyone that pre-orders The Lost Legacy at participating retailers will receive a free digital copy of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for PS4 when it launches on August 22. For those who pre-order on PS Store, you’ll also get an Uncharted: The Lost Legacy PS4 theme designed by Truant Pixel.

Meh, never-mind. Forget what I said, i'm probably overthinking it, despite info like that at times are actually misleading, like the earlier misconception with MWR when it was announced to be coming with COD IW.

Edited by Mar

On 4/12/2017 at 7:14 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I haven't read everything in here but just stumbled on your bit here and your my boy so I gotta defend yo ass.

Uncharted 4 has the best gameplay by far, and it has (when taken on it's own) the best story of the series too. While it makes no sense at times in terms of new plotholes and shit it adds, honestly, if you take these games 100% super duper seriously, you're missing out because they're meant to just be fun adventure movies. The first three have perfectly serviceable stories and perfectly serviceable gameplay and I love them all, BUT, despite what anyone may say, there is nothing phenomenonally new about them. The first one dropped in 2007 or 2008 and it was fine for the time but even then the only thing new was the characters, the average gun play and run about gameplay had been done to death before by countless other games and done better at that. The story was the thing that pulled me to the games, the adventure element, all that shit, and on that front they're better than some of their contemporaries, but realistically, they're just a couple of dumb adventure games. Number 2 improved a lot, number 3 (crucify me) improved on that, and then number 4 dropped and was the best of the bunch by far. 

I loved Golden Abyss too, and the reason I loved it so much probably had something to do with it being an excellent PORTABLE game. As in it did something I hadn't seen before, it was better than average, it was snazzy, it was good. Uncharted 1-3 are perfectly great games, and they are great, I love them all as I said earlier, but they also don't do anything amazing that hasn't been done before. The writing is pretty good, but the writing is pretty good in a lot of other games too and if you look at U1 in particular, Nate doesn't even care that Sully was presumed dead for a while, like they were just partners on a job and not lifelong buds, they made it up as they went

THEY. MADE. IT. UP. AS. THEY. WENT.

And with that, let's call it "freedom" they went and made a bunch of plotholes in the continuity by giving Drake a brother in the 4th one who had never been mentioned before and that's fine because it was in the best interests of the forth game and the forth game benefited from it and the story benefited and sure it seems kind of fucking dumb but if you also just look at the games on their own and not in terms of continuity, the forth is by far the best and now the baby is up and I can't clarify so bye .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I haven't read everything in here but just stumbled on your bit here and your my boy so I gotta defend yo ass.

Uncharted 4 has the best gameplay by far, and it has (when taken on it's own) the best story of the series too. While it makes no sense at times in terms of new plotholes and shit it adds, honestly, if you take these games 100% super duper seriously, you're missing out because they're meant to just be fun adventure movies. The first three have perfectly serviceable stories and perfectly serviceable gameplay and I love them all, BUT, despite what anyone may say, there is nothing phenomenonally new about them. The first one dropped in 2007 or 2008 and it was fine for the time but even then the only thing new was the characters, the average gun play and run about gameplay had been done to death before by countless other games and done better at that. The story was the thing that pulled me to the games, the adventure element, all that shit, and on that front they're better than some of their contemporaries, but realistically, they're just a couple of dumb adventure games. Number 2 improved a lot, number 3 (crucify me) improved on that, and then number 4 dropped and was the best of the bunch by far. 

I loved Golden Abyss too, and the reason I loved it so much probably had something to do with it being an excellent PORTABLE game. As in it did something I hadn't seen before, it was better than average, it was snazzy, it was good. Uncharted 1-3 are perfectly great games, and they are great, I love them all as I said earlier, but they also don't do anything amazing that hasn't been done before. The writing is pretty good, but the writing is pretty good in a lot of other games too and if you look at U1 in particular, Nate doesn't even care that Sully was presumed dead for a while, like they were just partners on a job and not lifelong buds, they made it up as they went

And with that, let's call it "freedom" they went and made a bunch of plotholes in the continuity by giving Drake a brother in the 4th one who had never been mentioned before and that's fine because it was in the best interests of the forth game and the forth game benefited from it and the story benefited and sure it seems kind of fucking dumb but if you also just look at the games on their own and not in terms of continuity, the forth is by far the best and now the baby is up and I can't clarify so bye .

I agree completely. Yes, also with U3 being the best of the first three games.

I've actually started on U1 last night again and indeed, it's crazy how Drake acts about Sully's 'death', it's a fitting reaction for a partner/friend he's worked with for a couple of years and not a fitting reaction for a mentor and father figure who helped him as much as is now canon.

And it doesn't matter one bit because they're fun Indy adventure throwbacks. If The Lost Legacy is as bombastic and as blindly enthousiastic, I'll be very satisfied.

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You're suppose to take the story seriously. They're story driven games... that even go so far as to prioritize it over gameplay. Storytelling has been said by ND to be the most important part of games. If there's many flaws in the area that got the most attention, it's a serious deal, you dont just ignore it and pass it off as fine. Combined with the fact that this game is written from a claimed amazing writer, this certainly makes the existent plot holes, continuity issues, and poor writing a huge issue-

Claimed Amazing writer... from Story Driven-focused game

>Poor writing and pacing (not entirely ofc, but enough)

>Nonsensical opening presentation/prologue (unlike Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, and Jak 3) (should have started with kid Nate, not the out of place boat chase)

>Retcons/plotholes

>Cheap plot

>Weak plot twists (Jak 2/3 had better, in my proffesional opinion)

>Lazy call to action (especially since Sam is from scratch, with no prior hinted or foreshadowed existence)

>Etc

There's more to than just the writing in game, its things said outside the game as well. For one instance, U4 clearly should not exist; U3 perfectly concluded the series and story-line. U1 started with the legacy of Sir Francis Drake. Fast-forward- U3 made things more interesting by delving into the past of Nathan to see his obsession with Drake, the first game's focus. U3 ends perfectly with Nathan's peaked developed mentality that treasure hunting isn't worth it anymore and that ppl he cares about comes first. Drake's story-line was concluded as well by Nathan discovering why Drake had hidden AoTS from Queen Elizabeth. The ring that was the key to everything, and that Nathan had since U1, was abandoned and lost to, further establishing that true closure. The main villains who had been after Nathan, because of Drake's secret, since he was a kid, died as well. Nathan, Sully (scored some gold), and Elena got closure (and got remarried). Every literal thing in U3 was concluded, and Elena and Sully roles in U3 was simply fantastic. (But when other games with good endings get a sequel, it's a huge problem. Ofc TLOU is excluded as well... sigh.)

(Continued) U4 literally feels like a forced entry.. an excuse to make another game.. a milked installment in a franchise. U3 had the actual design of a true ending, it's not speculation.. it's not an opinion, it did. But this is another big reason why U4 is an issue. Naughty Dog specifically stated

"We realised that those three games – the trilogy – actually provided a particular narrative arc that led into Uncharted 4."

Now I want to first say, this is a weaker quote to the one I couldnt find, where they more boldly stated that the trilogy was certainly a "set up" to Uncharted 4's story. Many people have noticed that this is BS, and that from a story perspective, it doesnt make sense. U4 feels tacked on and forced in every way possible - from inferior character roles to inferior development to a weaker plot (=/= storytelling) - many fans agree that U4 feels disconnected. It clearly has the weakest and most forced call to action of all 4 games. It doesnt feel natural, it feels forced, especially after a game that wrapped up everything perfectly and peaked Nate's development. Their result and best work at making a sequel/continuation (mind you from acclaimed amazing writer) is creating a retcon brother that forces Nathan to break his vow/committment of treasure seeking and simultaneously attempts to force the players to care for him... let me repeat FORCE US to care about his (forced entry) character.

Getting to the other point I wanted to say is how moreso flawed that idea is by the fact in U3 when Nate's PAST was being exploited by Marlowe, she listed the following things:

• Mother and Father and their roles: Mother committs suicide (mind you Uncharted 4 RETCONNED that to by saying she died a different way), Father abandons child at the (specified) age of 5yrs old..
  • Entrusted to Saint Francis Boy's Home (U4 got that part right at least...)
  • Drake is not Nathan's name
  • Established marriage with Elena (wife)
  • Drake's orphan status

all except Nate's brother. We know U4 explained why Sam was never found, but it actually doesnt justify both why Sam was never mentioned throughout the whole series and why Marlowe never mentioned Nate's sibling, DESPITE having his literal personal files and naming every other inline personal info about him: MOTHER, FATHER, WIFE, Brother, False Birth Name, Orphan... yet she couldn't even merely HINT nor mention Nate's dead brother. Just remember she had no problem list his DEAD mother.

Yes, that made it up as they go along statement is contradicted by ND's false claim that this was all planned. Honestly, they contradicted themselves yet again, but I don't want to keep adding text, even unnecessary details such as one of their multi-excuses for not making a Jak 4 (said one yr before U4 released) - "the characters are really developed, and it's hard to make a new story around that" - applied to U4, yet it was still made no problem.

And again, this doesnt include MP. ND get away with way too much shit. Im tired of the common, strong criticisms the Jak games get, yet TLOU and Uncharted are both ignored and untouched by majority. This isn't about being right, but for anyone to state U4 only has that one issue is just ignorance, something you actually did not do, which I ofc respect. It's not an opinion, it's simply not. Because you don't know it =/= opinion. Im tired of people bashing me for me stating the truth.

U3 had the better story (ill toss in imo just cause, even though others don't have to when they say their opinion). Game-play wise, U4 is the best, yes, but its being said under the implication that it means a lot or its something to write home about. Let's talk a little about that. The retcon grappling hook is ok, it's a consistent mechanic so ill leave it at that.

Now with the later additions, the buggy is only driveable some times in the game, and while the jak'ing a buggy concept  (cool to see an idea similar to the Jak sequels) during a convoy chase is actually pretty damn cool, it only happens 1-2 times.

Next is the Piton.. it's not all that interesting. IIRC, Tomb Raider utlizes it better. This will be the weakest consistent mechanic because it acts as an filler-add-on to an already commonly agreed upon boring GP feature (climbing) and because you get it late in the game.

That leaves the terrain slides. Im not impressed with this becoming a full core feature.. it literally has focus as if such a mediocre thing should be partially important. Doesnt Tomb.R also do this better, I think. If not then its the Grappling.H........... 

On top of that, ND dont combine the core mechanics enough to create engaging experiences. You only start to see it at the end where you jump from slide to slide and jump from slide to mid air grappling hook, in sequence.

Good gameplay is also determined by consistency of existent mechanics, hence why some dont count (Boat, jak'ing vehicles, etc).

There's also the fact that ND technically nerfed the combat depth the melee system had in U3 for U4, thus hurting GP a bit. Feeling smoother doesnt overwrite the fact that it lost any depth it had. It's back to (U1/2/3 where) enemies can dodge, parry, and block your attacks, but you cant do any of that back, just button mash scripted attacks with square and button mash triangle when grabbed to escape.

(Continued GP) Meanwhile, Nathan's combat inventory (excuse me, lack of a combat inventory) never increases. Jak's did, Joel's did, Nate's doesnt. It's the same non-innovative carry two guns and a few grenades only. Killzone, Ratchet, and other shooters have increased inventory space. Jak's concept in particular was amazing for being able to seamlessly transition between multiple weapons without a GUI. Borderlands, Ratchet, Horizon, etc all have needed GUIs.

I missed a point, but this brings me back to Story. So if the story driven game has mediocre gameplay and a flawed story, why is it being defended, and how is it amazing? Specifically talking to you, as Ill clearly get multi-team by other Uncharted fans, to which will be too overwhelming to reply to all if them constantly.

Im also tired of MP being ignored by certain Uncharted fans - that I dont care for MP or like it so it doesnt matter mentality - when other parts of the community acknowledge the issues with it and ALL their MP games that the ND Community strongly agree upon ND ruining in all their games. MP exist, and it makes up part of the full game; development time and resources went into it, so yes it matters.

Not trying to come off rude or anything, ND games except Jak ofc are just overly-praised and overrated. (Good thing GG released Horizon Zero Dawn.) They're cool, fun, and polished mostly, but there are much better stories and compelling gameplay games/experiences out there. You can enjoy and prefer.... any game you like (U4 is your favorite? NP. UGA is your favorite? NP), I don't have any problem with anyone who prefers or favors whichever installment, I only have a problem when games' issues are ignored and are then claimed as best thing ever.. and when a person believes there's only one problem with a video game, which is just foolish.  Btw: I've been mostly generally speaking. 

Dont hurt me please.

Edited by Mar

HOLY SHITSNACKS WHAT A TEXTWALL!

@Mar fine, you win, I'm going to respond one more time to try and get you to understand my opinion.

Most of the stuff you mention as being problems, simply are not problems to me. The padding you mention didn't register eith me, I enjoyed the whole game except for the romance subplot. I like exploring for the sake of exploring, it's no coincidence that I call Breath Of The Wild the best game ever made. It's not padding to me, it's more fun stuff to do. All the retcons didn't register as I played U4 for U4 without caring too much about what came before, I got annoyed just as little by it as when Sully was being retconned as Nathan's replacement father.

Simply put, I have a great ability to not care for stuff. I don't care for the lack of combat inventory - one small gun, one large gun, a few grenades... Simple and to the point, and I don't use about 70% of the inventory of Witcher III. I don't care that the story is clichéd and flawed - I've watched Expendables 2 several times now. I can like stories if they're clichéd - sometimes I even like them because of it. More than anything you say, I care about Elena nagging Nathan about stopping with treasure hunting, even though the excitement of treasure hunting is what attracted her to him in the first place. She trapped Nathan and then tries to make him give up his dream job! I constantly thought Chloe was a better match...

Simply put, the most important thing to me is if I have fun. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was awesome for me and I greatly enjoyed it, but do I ever mention the bad story? Nope, because it was not bad enough for me to consider it as a flaw. I call The Crew one of the best racing games in recent years, I never mention how inaccurate the city and town maps are simply because I'm not bothered by it enough to mention it. The only thing bothering me in U4 was the romance drama, the rest did not deserve mention. For me, it was an excellent fun game with some bad relationship drama, that's it. It's why I think it's so weird you constantly talk about 'facts'. In arguments with me and others, using terms as "clearly" et cetera since opinions about what is and isn't bad can go quite far even to the points about retcons, padding and others. What you think is clearly padding, others just call more time to have fun with the game.

And since you keep trying to get me to talk about multiplayer: I hate online multiplayer. Almost always. I love couch multiplayer games which is why I prefer Nintendo consoles, and why I mainly use the PS4 for graphics powerhouses. I hate online multiplayer games and I always ignore multiplayer these days. Always. Unless it's something like The Crew where you just see others and interaction is optional. I never play the multiplayer (check my card, didn't even get the tutorial trophies in U4, U3, DOOM...) unless I know of nothing better to do for a few moments, and I never take it into account when talking about a game because the single player is what matters to me. Online multiplayer is not for me and it's sad that resources go to it, but I never factor it into my opinion of a game simply because I never play the multiplayer. Only time I use it as a factor is when the multiplayer is big and single player is lacking, like Star Wars Battlefront or HAWX.

Hope you get now what my opinion is and why it is so different from what you call facts.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1