Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

22 hours ago, Fitzquaid said:

I've finished Transistor for February's theme, it was also for the Winter Backlog Challenge.  Gorgeous game, and trying different approaches to combat kept things fun, especially in new game plus where you have more and more options to set up really nasty degenerate combos.

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +2

100% completed: +1

Completion: +2.45%

Congrats on earning your platinum rank in February. :) I've updated your stats.

21 hours ago, Kevvik said:

I'm inclined to go with games on your profile 6 months+. Makes me wish I put more games on my profile as I have a number of games I've owned for some time but just didn't start yet but which I consider my personal backlog. Oh well, still have some that will count for this.

On an update note, I completed Day of the Tentacle Remastered for the PS4 monthly and another Retro star. Getting Danganronpa 2 ready to pop for the Vita event this month (once I grind through Princess Monomi, ugh).

Hopefully more later. 

Congrats on earning your platinum rank in February and being the first one with a golden star in the retro challenge. :D

I'll be drawing the theme for march on the 25th, so I'll have some time to discuss the exact definition of the theme, in Hemiak's case I'd personally make it something along the lines of Allowed are games that have been on your PSNP profile for more than 6 months, if all qualifying games have already been finished you may choose games that have been in your possession for more than 6 months. That way cleaning up your profile is the priority while people who already did that can still play more fitting games.

Also, congrats on getting Danganronpa 2 ready to pop, it's probably one of the best picks for the anniversary since it's such a great game. :)

I'm happy with my Persona 4 plat for the event. ^_^ 

55 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I'll be drawing the theme for march on the 25th, so I'll have some time to discuss the exact definition of the theme, in Hemiak's case I'd personally make it something along the lines of Allowed are games that have been on your PSNP profile for more than 6 months, if all qualifying games have already been finished you may choose games that have been in your possession for more than 6 months. That way cleaning up your profile is the priority while people who already did that can still play more fitting games.

I'd really rather it not be a must have been on your profile for at least 6 months, unless it doesn't have to be your PSNP profile or it could be a game owned for that long.  That's a bit unfair to those of us with few games on our profiles because most of mine haven't been there six months, are not my cup of tea, or too hard to platinum in a month.  Also one of mine that has been there over 6 months doesn't reflect that well because it sat at F rank for years and I just got a trophy in it recently.  So it looks like it's only been on my profile since November, when it's actually been there since the day the game released a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I'd really rather it not be a must have been on your profile for at least 6 months, unless it doesn't have to be your PSNP profile or it could be a game owned for that long.  That's a bit unfair to those of us with few games on our profiles because most of mine haven't been there six months, are not my cup of tea, or too hard to platinum in a month.  Also one of mine that has been there over 6 months doesn't reflect that well because it sat at F rank for years and I just got a trophy in it recently.  So it looks like it's only been on my profile since November, when it's actually been there since the day the game released a few years ago.

You have a point there, I guess I'll have to think some more about it. What I'm going for is more of a try to get games off your profile, if there's nothing on there anymore that you feel like playing, continue with games that you have owned for 6 months kind of deal, so my previous wording was pretty strict in that regard. I don't know about @Hemiak because it's his theme after all but I would personally want to look at their profiles first to see if there's something there that they can do before looking at other things in the time range. 

Well, basically my games on my PSNP profile for over 6 months are the following: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 and Demon Gaze.  If we count the one that sat at F for years until I got a trophy in November, then that would add htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary.  Not counting Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters since I'm looking to finish it for the Vita 5th Anniversary event, though if I don't make it in time with that one I'd definitely run with that and ensure I have at least two trophies besides the plat remaining.

Only one of those that is potentially doable is Demon Gaze, but it's also one that can become insanely hard if you messed up your builds or just suck at the game, and I do suck at the game.  The rest require at least a month and/or a lot of luck or may even be beyond my ability to plat (which is very likely with the FF and KH games).

• Like 1

Update: 

Have 1 episode left for Batman and then have the plat for that. 

Not made much more progress with Uncharted as thought I would crack on with a game that's been stuck in it's seal for far too long: Dark Souls 3, that game has been punishing. Not too far through it, have been the 4th boss and have many more to go. Yay :blink:

Hoping to get Batman finished this week as really good telltale series, so surprised as wasn't too keen on Game of Thrones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xFalionx said:

You have a point there, I guess I'll have to think some more about it. What I'm going for is more of a try to get games off your profile, if there's nothing on there anymore that you feel like playing, continue with games that you have owned for 6 months kind of deal...  

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. That way you're working towards clearing up stuff that's been sitting around a while. If nothing fits the bill then sure start something new. 

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, basically my games on my PSNP profile for over 6 months are the following: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 and Demon Gaze.  

X-2 can be finished in under 50 hours and it's not difficult at all. I just went back and finished it late last year. 

X takes around 100 hours but there isn't anything truly difficult in that game either. Remember, you only need to do one for the Plat rank, and then you can play anything else you want for the rest of the month. You could also start working on one or your games now so you wouldn't have to rush so much in March. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. That way you're working towards clearing up stuff that's been sitting around a while. If nothing fits the bill then sure start something new. 

X-2 can be finished in under 50 hours and it's not difficult at all. I just went back and finished it late last year. 

X takes around 100 hours but there isn't anything truly difficult in that game either. Remember, you only need to do one for the Plat rank, and then you can play anything else you want for the rest of the month. You could also start working on one or your games now so you wouldn't have to rush so much in March. 

The issue with X-2 is more I have the Vita version of the HD collection so it's digital.  My Vita has a 4GB memory card and X-2 takes almost all of it.  I actually don't have the space to install it right now and that's why I haven't gone back to it and getting another memory card isn't really an option right now even if I wanted to deal with how overpriced they are.

X is indeed a bit more difficult than one thinks because the trophies require stuff like dodging lightning bolts and a certain time in the chocobo racing and I suck at both of those.

What I'd rather clear up is something like Time and Eternity or Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse which I've owned since 2013 or 2014, but both have been on my profile only about 3 months.  The games left on my profile are mostly chip away bit by bit at.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

Update: 

Have 1 episode left for Batman and then have the plat for that. 

Not made much more progress with Uncharted as thought I would crack on with a game that's been stuck in it's seal for far too long: Dark Souls 3, that game has been punishing. Not too far through it, have been the 4th boss and have many more to go. Yay :blink:

Hoping to get Batman finished this week as really good telltale series, so surprised as wasn't too keen on Game of Thrones. 

One episode of Batman seems pretty doable, good luck with Dark Souls 3 though. ^_^ 

16 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Great, that settles it then. Now I'll only need to rephrase that as a rule in case your theme gets picked, and it should take a small miracle for it not to get picked, and we'll be set.

13 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

The issue with X-2 is more I have the Vita version of the HD collection so it's digital.  My Vita has a 4GB memory card and X-2 takes almost all of it.  I actually don't have the space to install it right now and that's why I haven't gone back to it and getting another memory card isn't really an option right now even if I wanted to deal with how overpriced they are.

X is indeed a bit more difficult than one thinks because the trophies require stuff like dodging lightning bolts and a certain time in the chocobo racing and I suck at both of those.

What I'd rather clear up is something like Time and Eternity or Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse which I've owned since 2013 or 2014, but both have been on my profile only about 3 months.  The games left on my profile are mostly chip away bit by bit at.

Oh god, and I thought my 8GB were bad. I guess if you aren't playing any of the other games on your Vita right now, you could copy them onto a PC to keep the game files and saves while playing something else.

Yep, the chocobo race is my personal nightmare, I didn't have much trouble with the lightning dodges though.

Since the theme would have a look at your profile and see if there's anything you like that fits the bill. If there isn't, go on to the things in your general possession kind of mindset, you should be alright. Also, no matter how many votes this theme gets, there's always the possibility of another theme getting picked since it's random. And if worse comes to worse, you could always use one of your skips for that month, even though I'd personally save them for later.

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

Damn, How did I miss this? Cool idea, sign me up!

stats right now...

Number of platinum trophies: 30

100% completed titles without platinum: 59 (not counting Never Alone - 100%ed the main game which has no platinum but have not bought the DLC)

current completion percentage: 50,68%

For this month, February, with the theme PS4 games, looking at the challenges and assuming a game can be part of several challenges at once:

retro game

I did a lot of these in January, don't know if I have anything left for PS4... going to think about this one and how it can fit the PS4 theme. I might just pick Star Wars Bounty Hunter, then I immediately have a pick for games that I would otherwise not have played soon.

game for other event

do games for the Casual Attack On Your Backlog count (because it's a backlog event as well so there is a lot of cross-writing)? If so, then I have already done Bound and I'm working on Color Guardians now

game that I would otherwise not have played (soon)

perhaps Star Wars Bounty Hunter like explained in retro, but could also be a PS+ game I had little intention of playing soon (or at least before KYC3)

edit: maybe I'll just play the first episode of Minecraft: Story Mode. Now THERE's a game I would not have played soon otherwise...

4 games

Bound (if you'll allow it, technically I did start and completely play through it in February though I did so before signing up)

Color Guardians (working on this now)

My theme idea for next month: racing. (I saw the "wheel" suggestion but I feel like too few people have such peripherals)

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

(...)

My theme idea for next month: racing. (I saw the "wheel" suggestion but I feel like too few people have such peripherals)

The "wheel sugestion" isn't about any periphericals - it's related to "if a game or any characters on it use a wheel and/or a wheel-like thing". It could be anything from a racing game to some atypical games (like "Wheel of Fortune", where contestants spin a wheel as part of the game).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoaoQuique said:

The "wheel sugestion" isn't about any periphericals - it's related to "if a game or any characters on it use a wheel and/or a wheel-like thing". It could be anything from a racing game to some atypical games (like "Wheel of Fortune", where contestants spin a wheel as part of the game).

Ah, I misunderstood the line then.

In that case, my suggestion is still "racing". Naturally there are some non-car racing games but I feel like doing just racing is more fun than 'anything with a wheel', which includes stuff like GTA V, any game where you have to turn a valve, Deadpool (which has a wheel of fortune like wheel thingie at one point), Transformers (many of which have wheels)...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Oh god, and I thought my 8GB were bad. I guess if you aren't playing any of the other games on your Vita right now, you could copy them onto a PC to keep the game files and saves while playing something else.

Strangely enough, Muramasa Rebirth won't ever show up as an option to transfer, and that's the one that is the problem since it has 4 DLC.  I have no idea why that is the case because every other game lets me copy it to my PC. 

• Like 1

You know what? Changed my opinion. I can play racing games with that wheel theme, I want to have a theme where Zelda counts in March!

The theme I choose is epic adventures! Anything goes as long as it's an epic so Zelda, Mass Effect, LEGO LOTR, Shadow Of Mordor, even Super Meat Boy could count.

Also, I just finished Color Guardians but I'm getting annoyed by the final boss so I may not do the platinum until I've decreased my backlog some more.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Damn, How did I miss this? Cool idea, sign me up!

stats right now...

Number of platinum trophies: 30

100% completed titles without platinum: 59 (not counting Never Alone - 100%ed the main game which has no platinum but have not bought the DLC)

current completion percentage: 50,68%

For this month, February, with the theme PS4 games, looking at the challenges and assuming a game can be part of several challenges at once:

retro game

I did a lot of these in January, don't know if I have anything left for PS4... going to think about this one and how it can fit the PS4 theme. I might just pick Star Wars Bounty Hunter, then I immediately have a pick for games that I would otherwise not have played soon.

game for other event

do games for the Casual Attack On Your Backlog count (because it's a backlog event as well so there is a lot of cross-writing)? If so, then I have already done Bound and I'm working on Color Guardians now

game that I would otherwise not have played (soon)

perhaps Star Wars Bounty Hunter like explained in retro, but could also be a PS+ game I had little intention of playing soon (or at least before KYC3)

edit: maybe I'll just play the first episode of Minecraft: Story Mode. Now THERE's a game I would not have played soon otherwise...

4 games

Bound (if you'll allow it, technically I did start and completely play through it in February though I did so before signing up)

Color Guardians (working on this now)

I've been wondering about that since you were showing interest when I discussed the idea with you back in the retro threads. 

You've been signed up now, welcome aboard.

You're right with that assumption, games can count for multiple challenges.

Since only gold ranks (complete all trophies of a game without platinum trophy or 100% finish a game without trophies) count towards challenges, you won't be able to complete any of those with your current state of Bound. An exception to this is the retro challenge which only requires a silver rank to be completed. 

As long as your game is fulfilling its role in an event, any kind of event is allowed. The rules of this event will still apply though, so even if your event only requires you to start a game, you would still have to earn a gold or platinum rank in the game to make it count.

Did you finish the story of Bound? That would earn you a silver rank.

Good luck with Color Guardians. :) 

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

You know what? Changed my opinion. I can play racing games with that wheel theme, I want to have a theme where Zelda counts in March!

The theme I choose is epic adventures! Anything goes as long as it's an epic so Zelda, Mass Effect, LEGO LOTR, Shadow Of Mordor, even Super Meat Boy could count.

Also, I just finished Color Guardians but I'm getting annoyed by the final boss so I may not do the platinum until I've decreased my backlog some more.

Good thing that you changed your mind right before I got to this section. ^_^ I've added your suggestion to the list and I like that you came up with something interesting.

Yeah the final boss is pretty annoying, even though I had more trouble with the one before that for some reason. Anyways, if you beat him once, this would also earn you a silver rank. Unfortunately there are no silver stars, so this wouldn't stack with Bound in case you finished the story of that game.

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Strangely enough, Muramasa Rebirth won't ever show up as an option to transfer, and that's the one that is the problem since it has 4 DLC.  I have no idea why that is the case because every other game lets me copy it to my PC. 

That sure is pretty weird, I never had that happen to me before. Did you check all the software categories? Maybe it's just sorted under the wrong category. The other thing I could think of is that maybe there are games with locked saves like there were some on the PS3, and since the saves are stored within the game files for digital Vita games it won't let you move the game at all. It's still very weird though. :hmm:

22 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I've been wondering about that since you were showing interest when I discussed the idea with you back in the retro threads. 

You've been signed up now, welcome aboard.

You're right with that assumption, games can count for multiple challenges.

Since only gold ranks (complete all trophies of a game without platinum trophy or 100% finish a game without trophies) count towards challenges, you won't be able to complete any of those with your current state of Bound. An exception to this is the retro challenge which only requires a silver rank to be completed. 

As long as your game is fulfilling its role in an event, any kind of event is allowed. The rules of this event will still apply though, so even if your event only requires you to start a game, you would still have to earn a gold or platinum rank in the game to make it count.

Did you finish the story of Bound? That would earn you a silver rank.

Good luck with Color Guardians. :) 

Good thing that you changed your mind right before I got to this section. ^_^ I've added your suggestion to the list and I like that you came up with something interesting.

Yeah the final boss is pretty annoying, even though I had more trouble with the one before that for some reason. Anyways, if you beat him once, this would also earn you a silver rank. Unfortunately there are no silver stars, so this wouldn't stack with Bound in case you finished the story of that game.

Ah, I understand now. So each month at least one game's story, but if I want the challenges I need to 100% stuff. And the challenges only need to be completed once...

Well, that will make me a wee bit less active in this event since I don't often go for 100% completion. Doesn't matter though, I've got enough backlog work to do.

Yes I completed the story in both Bound and Color Guardians, both have a trophy to prove it (Bound has a trophy for completing the story a second time and I have that trophy). Please use Bound as I'd rate it much higher than Color Guardians.

Can you explain the themes in some more detail for me so I can figure out what games to set aside? I understand Halloween and Christmas, but the others are less intuitive (and for Halloween and Christmas, does any horror or snow game qualify?)

P.S. I joined in February so if I'm correct I should get a hidden trophy in January.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ah, I understand now. So each month at least one game's story, but if I want the challenges I need to 100% stuff. And the challenges only need to be completed once...

Well, that will make me a wee bit less active in this event since I don't often go for 100% completion. Doesn't matter though, I've got enough backlog work to do.

Yes I completed the story in both Bound and Color Guardians, both have a trophy to prove it (Bound has a trophy for completing the story a second time and I have that trophy). Please use Bound as I'd rate it much higher than Color Guardians.

Can you explain the themes in some more detail for me so I can figure out what games to set aside? I understand Halloween and Christmas, but the others are less intuitive (and for Halloween and Christmas, does any horror or snow game qualify?)

P.S. I joined in February so if I'm correct I should get a hidden trophy in January.

Well, you can complete them multiple times and get golden stars for them, those are just for bragging rights though. But so are the stars for monthly ranks, meaning one platinum rank is the goal you should head for each month. 

For each their own, I might think of something for people who don't really care about trophies that much in the next iteration of this event, for now it's gonna be mostly focused on completion

Congrats on your silver rank for February then, I made sure to use one of the trophies from Bound.

They are meant to be less intuitive because it's just the general idea of that month. You didn't see it yet as you joined in a Random themed month, which has a different way of selecting a theme, but I usually put up a poll that decides next months theme with 2-4 choices based on that months general idea. I refrained from posting the full lineup of theme choices because that would take away a bit of the surprise. I can say that Advancement is about different stages of technological advancement though, since that ones a little less obvious than I'd hoped for, the others should be straightforward enough to provide the general idea of that month. The Halloween and Christmas themes will be handled like the others, so there will be a poll for them.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out, I overlooked that when copy pasting...

35 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Well, you can complete them multiple times and get golden stars for them, those are just for bragging rights though. But so are the stars for monthly ranks, meaning one platinum rank is the goal you should head for each month. 

For each their own, I might think of something for people who don't really care about trophies that much in the next iteration of this event, for now it's gonna be mostly focused on completion

Congrats on your silver rank for February then, I made sure to use one of the trophies from Bound.

I'm not too bothered by this being for completionists, there's a bunch of events for non-completionists running at the moment. I'll just do at least one story every month and I'll see if I ever do completions during the year, probably at least once or twice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xFalionx said:

That sure is pretty weird, I never had that happen to me before. Did you check all the software categories? Maybe it's just sorted under the wrong category. The other thing I could think of is that maybe there are games with locked saves like there were some on the PS3, and since the saves are stored within the game files for digital Vita games it won't let you move the game at all. It's still very weird though. :hmm:

Yep, checked everything, even photos and PSP games and no Muramasa Rebirth.  It's like the only exception to the rule of you can back it up.  FFX-2 HD is backed up, but with no room, can't install it so that isn't an option for March since I need to finish Muramasa Rebirth first.  But if I can go with Time and Eternity and/or Sam & Max which have been on my profile over 3 months (well, the first episode of Sam & Max, but I own them all) and owned for years that's fine by me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Yep, checked everything, even photos and PSP games and no Muramasa Rebirth.  It's like the only exception to the rule of you can back it up.  FFX-2 HD is backed up, but with no room, can't install it so that isn't an option for March since I need to finish Muramasa Rebirth first.  But if I can go with Time and Eternity and/or Sam & Max which have been on my profile over 3 months (well, the first episode of Sam & Max, but I own them all) and owned for years that's fine by me

That's unfortunate. Since you can pick games that you've owned for 6 months if you don't have anything on your profile that fits the bill and strikes your fancy, those games are gonna be fine.

But you shouldn't bet on Hemiak's suggestion alone because there's still about a 58% chance of a different theme winning the draw.  

6 hours ago, NebbyLunala said:

I'm tempted to suggest Shantae 1/2-Genie Hero for these themes but then I'd get lynched. xD

You wouldn't get lynched but I'd politely tell you to select something with a bigger selection of games to pick from, for example 2D games, metroid-vania games (at least I think the Shantae games could be classified as that (I didn't play any of them yet))or something like that. Of course you could always suggest a Epic adventures with awesome soundtracks theme. :P 

You would still need to sign up for the event though, only members can suggest games. ^_^ 

I'm quite busy in March thanks to the Switch, Hemiak's event (ten unplayed games) and Horizon Zero Dawn so if Hemiak's theme wins then I'm going to have to go with six months owned instead of on my card (thanks to YOUR OWN EVENT, Hemiak!) because I'm not going to bother with ANOTHER PS3/PS4 game that's been in my backlog for ages next to that event.

28 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

you could always suggest a Epic adventures with awesome soundtracks theme. :P

I'd be up for a theme like that though as it is right now, I can make Zelda count for both the epic adventure theme and the awesome soundtrack theme so combining it does not improve my chances. I'm going to count Zelda as well for "Games by studios that are based in (or originated in) a non English-speaking country" (they are based in Kyoto, after all) and "Artistic" (or does that last one have to be REAL artsy-fartsy like Hohokum?), so my chances are pretty much 50/50 of getting to use Zelda for this event. Of course, if non-English wins then I might be tempted to go with Horizon Zero Dawn as the developers are from Holland, like myself. That only leaves the wheel theme uncovered but I'd probably do at least one race game for Hemial's event anyway.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I've decided to try to work on The Witcher 3 again (love sandbox games but stuff like Witcher, Bethesda, Dragon Age often prove too big and long for me to finish) so I'm probably not going to do anything for this event the rest of February.

Only chance there is, would be if I decide to work out the platinum of Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, That would mean a platinum for this month, and two challenges done - 'games I would not have played soon' and 'games that count for a different event' (I could use it for the Casual Backlog event and it has already been used in KYC2, where I would post an update as well).

• Like 1

Got my platinum trophy for the month with Resident Evil 7 1S34b3e0.png  Had a lot of fun with this one.  I think it was a nice return to form for the series and reminded me of the original games in a number of ways.  Unfortunately I didn't really have much fun with the Madhouse run though.  I found that mode much more frustrating than fun even as a veteran of the series.  That said, the normal mode was fantastic and it may be the first game I buy the DLC for in pretty much ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've decided to try to work on The Witcher 3 again (love sandbox games but stuff like Witcher, Bethesda, Dragon Age often prove too big and long for me to finish) so I'm probably not going to do anything for this event the rest of February.

Only chance there is, would be if I decide to work out the platinum of Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, That would mean a platinum for this month, and two challenges done - 'games I would not have played soon' and 'games that count for a different event' (I could use it for the Casual Backlog event and it has already been used in KYC2, where I would post an update as well).

Sure, if a silver rank is enough for you, feel free to stay that way. :) There are quite a few people who did Gone to the Rapture in January, so that should be pretty doable.

Maybe you'll fall in love with The Witcher 3, like the friend I told you about in the financial backlog challenge thread, when you get further into the game.

58 minutes ago, Komrade_Konrad said:

Got my platinum trophy for the month with Resident Evil 7 1S34b3e0.png  Had a lot of fun with this one.  I think it was a nice return to form for the series and reminded me of the original games in a number of ways.  Unfortunately I didn't really have much fun with the Madhouse run though.  I found that mode much more frustrating than fun even as a veteran of the series.  That said, the normal mode was fantastic and it may be the first game I buy the DLC for in pretty much ever.

Congrats on your platinum rank in February. ^_^ 

37 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Continuing on working on the MP in Tomb Raider. I'm pretty sure I can get it done by the end of the month. Was hoping to be done with FF13 by now. I don't know how people complete this in less than 2 weeks. Hate that I get distracted so easily.

Mp trophies are always awful, good luck with yours. 

Those people usually play a game for 8-16 hours per day until they're done with it, usually using a guide from the start. I prefer to take my time and do a blind run first (but I do check for missables that could be easily avoided first :D) and then if I can't figure out the rest of the trophies on my own I start using a guide.