Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

2 minutes ago, Pixel-CAT- said:

So just a suggestion but I would rather change the "Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 6 months " to "Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 3 months" since these suggestions are almost the same and you would have the advantage that you can play a wider variety of games that fit the month.

Thank you @xFalionx (^_^ )

I would definitely give it a go and don't be afraid of the rarity of the trophies. The game describes itself as a 2D Box Rolling & Extend Platformer, which is a perfect description of the game. The gameplay is OK, nothing really special. There isn't some kind of deep story. It's just - a 2D Box Rolling & Extend Platformer -. 

Trophy wise: The trophies are surprisingly easy if you follow @A1rPun's guide. There aren't some kind of collectibles, and you don't have to worry about the no dead and the under 10 minute trophies since you will notice that you'll earn them automatically by going for all the other trophies. If you like easily obtainable rare trophies, then play this game :lol:. If you don't really care about trophies then I'm afraid that the gameplay becomes very boring after 3-4 hours.

Anyways hope this little review was helpful (^_^ )

Well, there's a reason it's 6 months. Having it be less than that would give some people, almost like me, the ability to select between all of their games, which isn't the point of this event. Having it be more than that would give some participants a really hard time selecting games, and maybe even disqualify some because they just don't have any games that old. I think that 6 months is a really good balance between those two extremes and allows in some cases for a somewhat restricted selection of games, while only keeping a small amount of people out of the event. In those cases, there are still the 2 skips that everyone is free to use. I left the 3-month suggestion as it is, because I'm not particularly against it, even though it's getting close to being too broad. If it was a 12-month suggestion instead, I'd have changed that to a smaller value.

That review was helpful indeed. ^_^ I sure love rare trophies, even though I'm probably gonna feel disappointed to get trophies that rare which are way easier than the ultra rares I've worked hard for. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try it in the future. :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I really hope the six months wins out...for me, I have a load of backlog games that I have had for more than 6 months:

Dishonored

The TALOS Principle

Outlast

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Lords of the Fallen

No Man's Sky

Assassin's Creed Unity

Just to name a few.

15 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Even if the theme ends up being something else, you could still play quite a few of these games:

In Shadow of Mordor, Lord of the Fallen and AC Unity you embark on an epic adventure,

No Man's Sky is artistic for sure, 

you're bound to find some kind of carriage or anything else with wheels in AC Unity,

and I'm sure you can find lots of other connections to one of the other themes.

12 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Indeed. I have a lot of versatility there.

For as much hate as No Man's Sky has gotten, and for how disappointed I was in the end (after I found out about the promises, luckily I went in almost blind so I enjoyed myself)...

No Man's Sky has an awesome soundtrack. Went to a concert of 65daysofstatic afterwards and it was still amazing (game wasn't mentioned even once though, even though their whole setlist came from that album. It was just "from our new album").

• Like 2

Now that Vita's 5th anniversary has arrived, I can finally report changes to my stats. I've also finished my fourth game for this month, PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, completing my last challenge and gaining me a platinum star for February as well as a golden star for the event challenge. I honestly didn't think that I'd be the first to complete all challenges. I guess the retro challenge might hae held some people back from that. ^_^ 

Anyways, here's my stats for anyone who's interested:

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +7

100% completed: +3

Completion: +7.88%

7 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Just got the platinum for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, which was also finished for the Vita 5th Anniversary and Winter Backlog events.  I'm also working on Tales from the Borderlands on PC for another one and should hopefully finish it before the month is over.

That's a platinum rank and a golden challenge star for you. have fun with Tales from the Borderlands. :) 

On 21-2-2017 at 4:32 PM, Pixel-CAT- said:

Trophy wise: The trophies are surprisingly easy if you follow @A1rPun's guide. There aren't some kind of collectibles, and you don't have to worry about the no dead and the under 10 minute trophies since you will notice that you'll earn them automatically by going for all the other trophies. If you like easily obtainable rare trophies, then play this game :lol:. If you don't really care about trophies and don't like platformers then I'm afraid that the gameplay becomes very boring after 3-4 hours.

Anyways hope this little review was helpful (^_^ )

One trophy was surprisingly difficult at some point in time :D glad you found my guide useful!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Somehow I feel left behind :( The percentages for certain components in FF13 is beyond horrible! I mean really, I should be done by now.

Yeah, don't feel bad about it. This event only requires you to play 1 game each month to alleviate stress and to allow participants to focus on other games in the meantime.

But I feel you, having played lots of grindy games, those can really feel tiresome at points. After all you get the same amount of trophies in 100 hours that you could get in 10 hours on another game.

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

So a quick update...

Finished plats on Danganronpa 2 and New Little King's Story for the Vita 5th anniversary event. Also finished Nightmares from the Deep for PS4.

Working my way through Ray Gigant and Starwhal, may have them done by the end of the month, we'll see how I manage on the harder challenges with Starwhal's rag doll controls.

And agreed that I am passing on voting, I'll just go with whatever gets decided for next month plus probably starting Rise of the Tomb Raider next month along with finding something to go with the theme.  Final Fantasy X has sort of been calling me back, too.

Thanks to everyone coming up with themes for next month, they all look cool.  My son is anxiously awaiting his Switch and the new Zelda game so I'll probably watch him play that a bit as well. I'll get around to it later once he is done.

This should cover me until I do my end of month stats update next week. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and my god-daughter will be visiting too.  Lots of fun!

• Like 1

I'm still doing The Witcher III... at my own pace. I'm now at total completion percentage 57,76%, or an increase of 0.08% ^-^

I could write some stuff up for my experiences with The Witcher III (I'm writing about it for the Casual event anyway and I'm probably going to post in the old backlog event as well about stuff like this) but I kind of get the feeling that this themed event is not really for impressions, am I correct in thinking that?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kevvik said:

So a quick update...

Finished plats on Danganronpa 2 and New Little King's Story for the Vita 5th anniversary event. Also finished Nightmares from the Deep for PS4.

Working my way through Ray Gigant and Starwhal, may have them done by the end of the month, we'll see how I manage on the harder challenges with Starwhal's rag doll controls.

And agreed that I am passing on voting, I'll just go with whatever gets decided for next month plus probably starting Rise of the Tomb Raider next month along with finding something to go with the theme.  Final Fantasy X has sort of been calling me back, too.

Thanks to everyone coming up with themes for next month, they all look cool.  My son is anxiously awaiting his Switch and the new Zelda game so I'll probably watch him play that a bit as well. I'll get around to it later once he is done.

This should cover me until I do my end of month stats update next week. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and my god-daughter will be visiting too.  Lots of fun!

Congrats on your Vita plats and your new platinum star. :) Good luck with the other games, you don't have that much time left before the end of February.

Have fun spending time with your family. ^_^ 

While I'm on the topic of time I'll abuse this response to give out a small reminder to @ShogunCroCop, @MortalRikku, @Enma8910, @Edunstar84, and @DrumKing294, who still have their bronze ranks for this month. While many of you already posted updates on your progress, I want you to remember that even if you don't manage to 100% or platinum a game, you can still get a silver rank for completing the story of a game that fits the theme.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm still doing The Witcher III... at my own pace. I'm now at total completion percentage 57,76%, or an increase of 0.08% ^-^

I could write some stuff up for my experiences with The Witcher III (I'm writing about it for the Casual event anyway and I'm probably going to post in the old backlog event as well about stuff like this) but I kind of get the feeling that this themed event is not really for impressions, am I correct in thinking that?

I guess I'll update that. ^_^ 

Yeah, back when I was playing Skyrim I was already like 150 hours before I completed the maybe 6 hour long main questline. That's one of the things that's so great about those games in my opinion.

Huh, I could have bet I wrote something about that in the OP but it must have slipped my mind. Of course you're encouraged to post your thoughts about the games you play, and discuss them with others who (don't) think like you. That's part of what keeps a thread feeling alive and kicking, and I don't think it would bother anyone. 

1 minute ago, xFalionx said:

Huh, I could have bet I wrote something about that in the OP but it must have slipped my mind. Of course you're encouraged to post your thoughts about the games you play, and discuss them with others who (don't) think like you. That's part of what keeps a thread feeling alive and kicking, and I don't think it would bother anyone.

Here you go, easy peasy, ctrl+c ctrl+vsy

Going to do an update on my work in The Witcher III. It's my intention to write some stuff about the games I play every once in a while, this will be shared in the Casual event as well which is more of a general backlog event where I register everything I do for other events, and in this case in my "What The Hell Is That Still Doing There" event because I've started this game over a year ago. My last post in the Casual event was about the first bit of the Crones storyline so for the sake of not having to write everything I think about the game right now, I'm going to pick it up here where I left off in the other thread.

L4a541a.png

Still going strong in The Witcher III. I really want to finally get through this amazing game and I'm prepared to cancel my Horizon Zero Dawn pre-order now if that's what it takes.

I finished the Baron story line two days ago. I enjoyed the Crones storyline much more once the Crones started appearing for real, it's a very compelling story line and a fitting end for the Baron's story - without too many spoilers, for those who have played the game: I chose to free the spirit based on the technicality that the Crones never specifically asked me to outright kill it, and I had a gut feeling that the Crones would become a worse evil than the spirit.

So, after finishing that storyline two days ago, yesterday was filled with doing a few side quests and some Witcher contracts, so I could level up a bit and get rid of some entries in my quest log before continuing to Novigrad, where I will go to today.

I can't stress enough how much I like the atmosphere in this game and how much I want to finally get through a game as large as this one. I got a minor freakout yesterday when I finished the Defender Of The Faith side quest at the southern shrine, decided to go east through the wilderness towards a Witcher contract near Downwarren and I found myself in the exact place where I was when I first gave up on the game - in the middle of nowhere with many enemies, suddenly reaching the end of the map with a devil warning, and without any fast travel points nearby. Ran north-northeast with Roach as fast as I could, was very glad to reach a fast travel marker.

• Like 1

OK, finally after Feb. 22nd, I can post a considerable update about eligible games:

• Day of the Tentacle had been completed - but it was already updated on my card (and its Platinum icon will be definitive as my "February rank");
  • Hitman GO had been completed, assuring me a Platinum star;
  • MouseCraft had been completed, assuring me a Golden star;
  • The Swapper had been completed, assuring me a Golden Star (second one);
  • Three Fourths Home had been completed, assuring me a Golden Star (third one);

• Rugby World Cup 2015 had been completed, but I don't know if it will assure me a Platinum star (since I completed Vita trophy list, and this game have a proper set for PS4 version..);
  • Doodle Kingdom had been completed - same situation as Rugby WC (besides being a Golden star instead of Platinum star, if they are applicable).

About Challenge ranks:

• I think I deserve a Golden star in "Retro game" because of Day of the Tentacle;
  • Please change the icon on "Different PSNP event" to Hitman GO's Platinum icon: 1S740aa6.png
  • Since I've finished five eligible games (considering worst secnario), I achieved Platinum Grade on "4 game within one month" Challenge;

And finally my updated status:

Platinum trophies: +10

100% completed: +11

Completion: +1.17%

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Crap! I forgot about the theme. Ummmmm.....I could in theory plat Tomb Raider in like 4 days. I've been totally concentrating finishing FF13. Those stupid Traps.

Since I'll be counting games until 24hours after the post announcing the end of February was made, you'll have a little more than 5 days. Getting a plat or 100% in that time might be hard, but at least it's better than 4 days.

20 minutes ago, JoaoQuique said:

OK, finally after Feb. 22nd, I can post a considerable update about eligible games:

<many, many completed games>

And finally my updated status:

Platinum trophies: +10

100% completed: +11

Completion: +1.17%

Oh boy, I was anticipating this ever since I saw your Vita's 5th anniversary list. Congrats on honoring Vita-tan with your multitude of games, gaining 2 platinum stars, 4 golden stars, a golden challenge star, and finally laughing at- and then promptly stomping the 4 games challenge in the face. I hope you are happy, I think it's still crying. ^_^ Oh, and I've also updated your stats.

And if you didn't figure it by now, both Rugby World Cup 2015 and Doodle Kingdom count, since while the trophy lists are separate, they are still the same. This also means you're only one game away from a golden star in the 4 games challenge

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I want to know what the theme of the next month will be, THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME

Well, it's only gonna take like 33 more hours. Since I'm also pretty excited about the new theme, I think you won't have to a lot longer than that until I draw a lucky winner.

@xFalionx different topic:

If you already have a platinum trophy but you haven't done the DLC yet, and you do it now, as what kind of trophy does it count for the main event?

Expecting it counts as a platinum for the challenges since 100% games without platinum count for that too.

Edited by BillyHorrible
changed "main game" to "main event" to prevent misunderstanding
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx different topic:

If you already have a platinum trophy but you haven't done the DLC yet, and you do it now, as what kind of trophy does it count for the main game?

Expecting it counts as a platinum for the challenges since 100% games without platinum count for that too.

Yeah, DLCs are pretty difficult to sort into my system but for now I've come up with this:

If your DLC is a standalone game that was included with the other game in such a way, like in the case of Alice: Madness Returns which had it's prequel released as a free DLC, it's not gonna give you a gold rank for the month but it's gonna count towards the challenges. Standard DLCs that add more content to an already existing game are useless at the moment, as these vary too much. I would however agree to give a silver rank for completing the DLCs of a game that you had already completed the story of beforehand, which won't be of use if you already managed to beat the story of a game.

To fix this problem, I'll probably add a challenge that's all about DLCs, either with a special update when enough people finish the already existing challenges, or in next year's thread.

2 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, DLCs are pretty difficult to sort into my system but for now I've come up with this:

If your DLC is a standalone game that was included with the other game in such a way, like in the case of Alice: Madness Returns which had it's prequel released as a free DLC, it's not gonna give you a gold rank for the month but it's gonna count towards the challenges. Standard DLCs that add more content to an already existing game are useless at the moment, as these vary too much. I would however agree to give a silver rank for completing the DLCs of a game that you had already completed the story of beforehand, which won't be of use if you already managed to beat the story of a game.

To fix this problem, I'll probably add a challenge that's all about DLCs, either with a special update when enough people finish the already existing challenges, or in next year's thread.

I'm thinking about doing the DLC for LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens. I understand if I don't get a higher rank in the main event, I'll just use it for the challenge "games you wouldn't have played soon" then.

Also still thinking about doing a quick completion of the last trophies in Everybody's Gone To The Rapture so I have the challenge for different event done because I honestly don't know how many platinums/100%s I'll do this year and the PS4 theme might be the easiest theme for me to get a 100% in.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm thinking about doing the DLC for LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens. I understand if I don't get a higher rank in the main event, I'll just use it for the challenge "games you wouldn't have played soon" then.

Also still thinking about doing a quick completion of the last trophies in Everybody's Gone To The Rapture so I have the challenge for different event done because I honestly don't know how many platinums/100%s I'll do this year and the PS4 theme might be the easiest theme for me to get a 100% in.

This will only count if those DLC are a standalone game, which I kinda doubt.

Sure, PS4 is probably one of the least restrictive themes, some of the later ones will probably be a bit more difficult to find games for.

I've been working on Destiny daily. This one was started for the 2nd KYC event. Only two trophies left for Plat, and they are for maxing out a sub class on my Warlock and Titan. I've got about 4 or 5 perks to unlock to be done with the Warlock, and then I can start on the Titan. I do every bounty I can daily for extra xp, run missions and do some PvP, and it nets me one or two perk unlocks a day, so I'm hoping to be done with the Warlock before the month ends. 

I also went back to The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, which I started for the first KYC event. I've come to the realization that point and click is not my genre. The story is interesting and there are some humorous parts but the puzzles and backtracking are just ridiculous. I've resorted to just blindly following a guide because it isn't fun to play for 20 minutes, know what I need to do, but have the game not let me until I exhaust a random dialogue option with a 3rd party. There are other times when I need to do specific action A in order to do B. But A won't even show up until you've talked to person X, done C, and talked to X again. It honestly feels deliberately set up to increase game time which is something I strongly dislike. If Mim (my wife for those who don't know) didn't enjoy the story, I would just delete this game and never give it a 2nd look. Also not sure if this would count as a Retro game. I should probably look into that. 

I'm not sure if I'll hit 4 games this month or not. I'd definitely have to abuse the whole '1 trophy left means it counts' clause, and I might have to fly through Unmechanical Extend or something similar. Just not sure it's worth it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

No, they're not standalone... I don't have 100% in the complete game now though thanks to the DLC but I will have afterwards, I thought that would count for something.

No, it doesn't. On the other hand, this enables the base games to count, so participants who don't own the DLC of a game can still get a rank for it.

2 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

@xFalionx, thanks for the reminder. I am trying my best to get story mode done in The Division before end of month, but there are no guarantees. I am behind where I would have liked to be.

You could always throw a short PS+ title in there, if you don't think you can manage to beat the story of The Division in time. There are always a few short and easy titles in there.

Otherwise, don't beat yourself up over it, it can't get worse than getting a bronze rank.

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

I've been working on Destiny daily. This one was started for the 2nd KYC event. Only two trophies left for Plat, and they are for maxing out a sub class on my Warlock and Titan. I've got about 4 or 5 perks to unlock to be done with the Warlock, and then I can start on the Titan. I do every bounty I can daily for extra xp, run missions and do some PvP, and it nets me one or two perk unlocks a day, so I'm hoping to be done with the Warlock before the month ends. 

I also went back to The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, which I started for the first KYC event. I've come to the realization that point and click is not my genre. The story is interesting and there are some humorous parts but the puzzles and backtracking are just ridiculous. I've resorted to just blindly following a guide because it isn't fun to play for 20 minutes, know what I need to do, but have the game not let me until I exhaust a random dialogue option with a 3rd party. There are other times when I need to do specific action A in order to do B. But A won't even show up until you've talked to person X, done C, and talked to X again. It honestly feels deliberately set up to increase game time which is something I strongly dislike. If Mim (my wife for those who don't know) didn't enjoy the story, I would just delete this game and never give it a 2nd look. Also not sure if this would count as a Retro game. I should probably look into that. 

I'm not sure if I'll hit 4 games this month or not. I'd definitely have to abuse the whole '1 trophy left means it counts' clause, and I might have to fly through Unmechanical Extend or something similar. Just not sure it's worth it. 

Good luck on Destiny but it sounds like you should easily be able to make it in time, especially considering the 24 hour extension after each month.

Yeah, point and click games really aren't for everyone. I personally only started to get what's fun about them when I played the 4 Deponia games on PC. After that I had a lot of fun with Day of the Tentacle Remastered that was on PS+ recently. I'd say before you completely give up on the genre, you might want to try this. I have no idea about The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, I never even heard of it, but what you describe seems like it's just not that good of a point and click game. 

While point and click games usually make you go through unrealistic and sometimes tedious processes to solve really difficult riddles, they usually drop enough hints for the puzzles to be solvable without guide or brute forcing through character options until something else unlocks.

Also, since the game was released in 2015 and Wikipedia doesn't say that it's a remake of an original game, it definitely doesn't count as a retro game.

While this theme has one of the biggest selections of titles available to play, most of the others shouldn't be too restricting to get 4 games done if you have a sizable collection of games.