Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

13 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

You might have a point there. I'm not sure if I'd describe it with artistic but the setting sue is creative, and the plot is unique. I guess you might be able to bend the definition of artistic enough to make that game fit the theme.

Well, I think it would fit all too well for an artistic theme to be open to creative interpretations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, I'm glad it's not as bad as the end of last year for me. Hope things get better for you. :) 

Should I take that theme suggestion as I don't want to vote/suggest, I might vote/suggest later, or I'm voting for Hemiak's suggestion? ^_^ 

Anyways, congrats on your new platinum rank and golden star for February. I've also updated your stats, you've already gained more plats in these 2 months than I got last year. :P

Thanks.  :)

It's a "I don't want to vote/suggest", sorry for the confusion. I'm happy to just go along with whatever comes up. I wouldn't be able to name my top choice, and they all seem like great ideas.

Hemiak's is just... super non-restrictive, is all. Not a bad thing, simply makes it a bit harder to pick a game. :P

To be fair, like... 3-4 of those are mostly/entirely this year, everything else is from the platinum rain games finally rolling out.

• Like 1

I don't have a topic to suggest this time around. I will go with whatever gets decided though I don't mind doing the 6 month+ on your profile. I can try to do a few of those before continuing with my off profile backlog (that has also been around 6 months+ ? to understate some of them)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kevvik said:

I don't have a topic to suggest this time around. I will go with whatever gets decided though I don't mind doing the 6 month+ on your profile. I can try to do a few of those before continuing with my off profile backlog (that has also been around 6 months+ ? to understate some of them)

While you're mentioning Hemiak's theme quite a lot, I am taking this as a I don't want to vote/suggest instead of a I'm voting for Hemiak's suggestion. Correct me in case I'm wrong. :) 

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the event but since I discussed The Witcher 3 with a few people...

I'm buying the DLCs now in the sale, I really like playing the game again and I want more.

Have fun with them, my Witcher 3 loving friend said the DLCs were pretty great and really large in terms of content.

Just completed Chariot for trophy 6k and my 112th platinum. It's available on ps4 as well so hook me up with a plat star brother.  I also finished off Fez a couple days ago, which I would not have done if not for this event. Hoping to have Destiny finished within the week and one more ps4 game for the 4 this month.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/187-most-recent-platinum/?page=967

I did start Skylanders Superchargers today with my kids though, so my completion is a little lower than it should be at this point.

Plats: 112

100%: +1 (29 I think)

Comp: 72.12%

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 2

Yeah, I maybe should look at those stats once in a while since I'm not doing 100%s that often.

My completion rate is 50,74% now.

I need to be at 51,29% to counter Hemiak's KYC2 and at 52,79% to counter Hemiak's KYC1. After both events, I've mostly kept to playing new games so things should change a bit now that I decided to really focus on my backlog instead of buying new stuff.

I miscounted the first time around, I have 49 complete-icon.pngs not 59. It's tough counting those in a continuously self-refreshing page without a counter.

So my plat is still at 30 and my 100% counter at 49, both were like this at the start of the event and won't rise significantly.

I played loads of The Witcher this weekend but I'm not getting a lot of trophies out of it because I'm ignoring the trophies, I've turned off the notification and I'm just playing through the game casually. I've bought the DLC and want to get started on that right after finishing the main game's quests and contracts.

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Just completed Chariot for trophy 6k and my 112th platinum. It's available on ps4 as well so hook me up with a plat star brother.  I also finished off Fez a couple days ago, which I would not have done if not for this event. Hoping to have Destiny finished within the week and one more ps4 game for the 4 this month.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/187-most-recent-platinum/?page=967

I did start Skylanders Superchargers today with my kids though, so my completion is a little lower than it should be at this point.

Plats: 112

100%: +1 (29 I think)

Comp: 72.12%

Well, it isn't a platinum star but you've really earned yourself a platinum rank in February along with a golden star to go with it, and a golden challenge star. I've updated your stats, that's one hell of a rare plat you got there. If you've got 29 100%s now, it should be a +2 instead of a +1. :) 

Also, my condolences to your wallet, the Skylanders franchise is one hell of a money printer.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, I maybe should look at those stats once in a while since I'm not doing 100%s that often.

My completion rate is 50,74% now.

I need to be at 51,29% to counter Hemiak's KYC2 and at 52,79% to counter Hemiak's KYC1. After both events, I've mostly kept to playing new games so things should change a bit now that I decided to really focus on my backlog instead of buying new stuff.

I miscounted the first time around, I have 49 complete-icon.pngs not 59. It's touch counting those in a continuously self-refreshing page without a counter.

So my plat is still at 30 and my 100% counter at 49, both were like this at the start of the event and won't rise significantly.

I played loads of The Witcher this weekend but I'm not getting a lot of trophies out of it because I'm ignoring the trophies, I've turned off the notification and I'm just playing through the game casually. I've bought the DLC and want to get started on that right after finishing the main game's quests and contracts.

I've updated your stats.

I didn't even know you could turn off trophy notifications. I guess that might help with games that have trophy lists which don't require you to do everything in the game. I usually feel dissatisfied when I play a game I really love and I get the plat before I'm really done with it.

6 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I didn't even know you could turn off trophy notifications. I guess that might help with games that have trophy lists which don't require you to do everything in the game. I usually feel dissatisfied when I play a game I really love and I get the plat before I'm really done with it.

Yeah it's under Settings - Notifications (on the PS4). Personally I think it helps with games with a compelling story - that trophy pop is so distracting...

Edit: 50,74-50,68 is 0,06 by the way, not 0,16 ;)

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pixel-CAT- said:

@xFalionx Game Theme Suggestion For Next Month

• Games that allow you to use wheels and/or wheel like things

I also completed :platinum: Day of the Tentacle Remastered, and complete-icon.png TorqueL. Both games fit the theme of the month (^_^ )

Great, now the only suggestion (not counting the 3-month version of Hemiak's theme) with less than 2 users is the Games with awesome soundtracks (come on people, soundtracks are important :D).

Congrats on your new platinum rank with a shiny golden star to go along with it. How did you like TorqueL? I'm considering giving it a go because it looks quite unique.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pixel-CAT- said:

@xFalionx Game Theme Suggestion For Next Month

Games that allow you to use wheels and/or wheel like things

:(

9 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Great, now the only suggestion (not counting the 3-month version of Hemiak's theme) with less than 2 users is the Games with awesome soundtracks (come on people, soundtracks are important :D).

Soundtrack is more important than games that have been on your backlog for six months! They've been on your backlog for SIX MONTHS, obviously you do not care about them and you should just get a new game instead!

Edit: Zelda chance now 4/9 :(

Thinking about this... Perhaps it would be good to start an event purely for games that have been on your card for at least six months? Hmmmm.... *scribble*

Edit: Yeah I'm going to create an event for this. Think I'll use 12 months as the cut-off for games on your list though.

Edit one hour later: So yeah...

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 3

Since there's only about 3 days left to post your votes/suggestions, here's another status update as well as a handy timer. I'll draw a theme within 24 hours of the end of that timer.

Current suggestions

• Games by studios that are based in (or originated in) a non English-speaking country (2 users)
  • Games that allow you to use wheels and/or wheel like things (2 users)
  • Artistic (2 users)
  • Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 6 months (7 users)
  • Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 3 months
  • Games with awesome soundtracks
  • Epic adventures (3 users)

Users who already suggested their theme/voted for someone elses theme:

• Falion
  • JoaoQuique
  • ladynadiad
  • Hemiak
  • Edunstar
  • Lucas
  • MortalRikku
  • Kent
  • Fitzquaid
  • ShogunCroCop
  • azlanslayer
  • Komrade_Konrad
  • BillyHorrible
  • NekoSama87
  • RizzleAbbey
  • Psy-Tychist
  • Enma8910
  • Pixel-CAT-
  • SyIaris (not voting)
  • Kevvik (not voting)

Users who didn't suggest a theme yet (mentioned to make sure they see this):

(You don't have to suggest a theme, this is just to make sure that nobody gets left out or overlooked by accident. If you don't want to submit a suggestion and would like to be left out of future updates on this, make sure to mention that you don't want to suggest/vote and I'll leave your mention off the list next time.)

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Soundtrack is more important than games that have been on your backlog for six months! They've been on your backlog for SIX MONTHS, obviously you do not care about them and you should just get a new game instead!

Thinking about this... Perhaps it would be good to start an event purely for games that have been on your card for at least six months? Hmmmm.... *scribble*

Edit: Yeah I'm going to create an event for this. Think I'll use 12 months as the cut-off for games on your list though.

Honestly, while soundtracks are more important to me personally, I do have to refute your six months argument. As almost all of my games were on my backlog for more than six months, I do care about a lot of them. After all I wouldn't have bought them in the first place (excluding PS+ games about some of which I also care) if I didn't care for them. For example I've had Freedom Wars and Toukiden: The Age of Demons since almost all the way back when I first got my Vita, which was my first modern Sony console after the PSP. I still want to play these games but I've always been distracted by another game or sometimes I've just not been in the mood for a Monster Hunter clone. Another example would be that I have tons of JRPGs which take between 40 and 100+ hours to complete. I wouldn't really play these back to back because I'd get tired of the genre that way. Finding new games to add to my collection for a price that I can afford is pretty hard, so PS+ is a godsend in that regard. 

Then there's also the trophy hunter's perspective. A lot of these games have been given up on since they were too hard, got boring or for whatever other reason. Now, a few years later, many people will have improved a little in terms of their gaming skill and had their break from their earlier abandoned game, and might have less trouble finishing a few of games now than they had before.

This theme actually fits the spirit of my event in a really special way. This event is mostly about getting you to play a few of your games that you usually wouldn't really consider otherwise in a creative way. Most of these games that were stuck in backlog limbo for this long probably wouldn't be revisited anytime soon if it weren't for that theme. But then again, most of the themes of this event which are to come are meant to make you look through your backlog and try unusual things without being locked into a specific choice too much, so this theme is just a generalization of that, really.

Why do we always get new ideas for events within each others ongoing events? :P 

Good luck on your event, I might join it depending on March's theme though I'll probably end up running out of games because you went with the on your profile wording.

Well, event or not, I'm fairly certain that there's gonna be a challenge related to this theme in next years iteration of this event. ^_^ 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, xFalionx said:

Since there's only about 3 days left to post your votes/suggestions, here's another status update as well as a handy timer. I'll draw a theme within 24 hours of the end of that timer.

That's not a status update, that's a forum post! RAAARARGH!

Honestly, while soundtracks are more important to me personally, I do have to refute your six months argument.

Yeah I know, I'm only joking. I do feel that games that have been on your backlog for so long can wait for one extra month when March is filled to the brim with epics that people want to play - Zelda, Mass effect, Horizon Zero Dawn, LEGO Worlds, NieR Automata...

Why do we always get new ideas for events within each others ongoing events? :P 

Good luck on your event, I might join it depending on March's theme though I'll probably end up running out of games because you went with the on your profile wording.

Well, event or not, I'm fairly certain that there's gonna be a challenge related to this theme in next years iteration of this event. ^_^ 

Yeah, we do seem to consantly be taking notes from each other. And I chose the 'on gamercard' bit because those are the ones actually pulling down your completion percentage. Have enough games in your backlog not yet on your gamercard? Try the KYC event!

Also, my new event is not only for 100%ing games but also for completing the story in games so there's little overlap if you want to do something with it during your themed events.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That's not a status update, that's a forum post! RAAARARGH!

Yeah I know, I'm only joking. I do feel that games that have been on your backlog for so long can wait for one extra month when March is filled to the brim with epics that people want to play - Zelda, Mass effect, Horizon Zero Dawn, LEGO Worlds, NieR Automata...

Yeah, we do seem to consantly be taking notes from each other. And I chose the 'on gamercard' bit because those are the ones actually pulling down your completion percentage. Have enough games in your backlog not yet on your gamercard? Try the KYC event!

Also, my new event is not only for 100%ing games but also for completing the story in games so there's little overlap if you want to do something with it during your themed events.

Well, technically it's a forum post updating you on the current status of votes, so it's both. :D 

Yeah, but it seems not that many people in this thread are interested in those going by all those votes on Hemiak's theme. I personally can neither play them on any of my consoles nor can I afford them.

On the 24th the last event I'm in besides this one will end, I thought about making use of that calm period to enhance the thread with a banner as well as some actual stars instead of those little *'s. I might end up joining that event though, I think it's a neat idea but I have a few things to consider beforehand.

I'll constantly be playing stuff from random periods of my backlog, so if it's gonna be story or 100% doesn't really matter that much. Actually, now that I think about it, there's a whole bunch of games on my profile that I at least wanted to play through, if not 100%, like the Assassins Creed games. Since I've started completing most of my games towards the end of 2016, I actually don't have that many games on my profile that wouldn't fit your event.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I thought about making use of that calm period to enhance the thread with a banner as well as some actual stars instead of those little *'s.

If you do go ahead with this, it's going to look so good and I'm excited to see what you come up with:shakefist::yay:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Well, technically it's a forum post updating you on the current status of votes, so it's both. :D 

My joke was more about how "post" and "status update" are two separate items on this site that you can filter on B)

Yeah, but it seems not that many people in this thread are interested in those going by all those votes on Hemiak's theme. I personally can neither play them on any of my consoles nor can I afford them.

True, true. You'd think that there's so many different genres in those epic titles that there'd be something for everyone, of course not everyone buys games right when they are released. Personally, I'll get Zelda day one for sure, Horizon Zero Dawn day one perhaps, Mass Effect somewhere down the line, NieR and LEGO Worlds probably not. LEGO Worlds might be fun though if it can be played in co-op since the wife and I play a lot of LEGO, with me trying to finish the levels and her trying to smash everything.

On the 24th the last event I'm in besides this one will end, I thought about making use of that calm period to enhance the thread with a banner as well as some actual stars instead of those little *'s. I might end up joining that event though, I think it's a neat idea but I have a few things to consider beforehand.

Do whatever you want, I made entry-exit rules for the event intentionally loose.

Also, do I have to create banners now? What kind of race are you pulling me in to! :shakefist:

I'll constantly be playing stuff from random periods of my backlog, so if it's gonna be story or 100% doesn't really matter that much. Actually, now that I think about it, there's a whole bunch of games on my profile that I at least wanted to play through, if not 100%, like the Assassins Creed games. Since I've started completing most of my games towards the end of 2016, I actually don't have that many games on my profile that wouldn't fit your event.

I think you mean "would" instead of "wouldn't" back there. Also, as I said above, enter and exit whenever you feel like it. Decide you want to play one of those games in May, and then have other things to do until December? Whatever, Just join in May, go inactive and rejoin in December.

I'm intent on 100%ing the Assassin's Creed games some day (with the exception of the Black Flag DLC, I'm not into multiplayer and already have the standalone of Freedom Cry) now that I have Brotherhood and Revelations without pesky MP trophies.

• Like 1

My joke was more about how "post" and "status update" are two separate items on this site that you can filter on B)

Yep, I got that and tried to bend it a little. :) 

True, true. You'd think that there's so many different genres in those epic titles that there'd be something for everyone, of course not everyone buys games right when they are released. Personally, I'll get Zelda day one for sure, Horizon Zero Dawn day one perhaps, Mass Effect somewhere down the line, NieR and LEGO Worlds probably not. LEGO Worlds might be fun though if it can be played in co-op since the wife and I play a lot of LEGO, with me trying to finish the levels and her trying to smash everything.

Honestly, the only games I'm interested in of those would be Zelda and NieR, both of which I couldn't play because I don't own the appropriate console. Also, I'd probably look into buying the first NieR before playing the new one, since I didn't do that yet. ^_^ 

If you ask me, LEGO Worlds doesn't seem all that great. A few of my friends tried it when it came out on Steam, maybe half a year ago. They didn't really play it more than a week because there just isn't anything to do really. There's tons of stuff to explore, but you're through with that after a few hours of exploration, then you're left with the dodgy editor to build stuff. And if the editor was dodgy on PC, I can imagine it being a nightmare on consoles. That said, it was an early access title and I'm not sure how much they've added to the game. Back then it also didn't have co-op, but I'm not sure if they've added that either. Overall, I think it's a game that could have been great, and that could be great one day, but there just isn't enough content in the game to make it last. 

Do whatever you want, I made entry-exit rules for the event intentionally loose.

Also, do I have to create banners now? What kind of race are you pulling me in to! :shakefist:

Yeah, like I said, I might join but It will probably depend on what games I feel like playing in the future.

Well, it's not like you have to do that, but I can find my way around Gimp and I feel like it would be an improvement to my event, so I'm gonna do that sooner or later. :P 

I think you mean "would" instead of "wouldn't" back there. Also, as I said above, enter and exit whenever you feel like it. Decide you want to play one of those games in May, and then have other things to do until December? Whatever, Just join in May, go inactive and rejoin in December.

I'm intent on 100%ing the Assassin's Creed games some day (with the exception of the Black Flag DLC, I'm not into multiplayer and already have the standalone of Freedom Cry) now that I have Brotherhood and Revelations without pesky MP trophies.

Nope, it's "wouldn't". What I meant to say with that is that I only started really finishing most of the games I play back in late 2016, which means that most of my owned games that I didn't finish yet are on my profile and, except for a few stray ones, have been there for more than a year.

Yeah, I'm only looking to complete the story of those games, I don't care about the MP and I'm not keen on boosting it, so I'd rather use my free time to have fun instead.

41 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

If you do go ahead with this, it's going to look so good and I'm excited to see what you come up with:shakefist::yay:

It's not a matter of if rather than when because I was originally intending to do this before the thread started, but I was pretty short on time due to different reasons. Even if I end up not doing that in between now and the end of March, I'm certainly gonna do it eventually.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Nope, it's "wouldn't". What I meant to say with that is that I only started really finishing most of the games I play back in late 2016, which means that most of my owned games that I didn't finish yet are on my profile and, except for a few stray ones, have been there for more than a year.

My bad, I misread that as you starting to play through your backlog towards the end of 2016 and not having much left.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I really hope the six months wins out...for me, I have a load of backlog games that I have had for more than 6 months:

Dishonored

The TALOS Principle

Outlast

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Lords of the Fallen

No Man's Sky

Assassin's Creed Unity

Just to name a few.

Even if the theme ends up being something else, you could still play quite a few of these games:

In Shadow of Mordor, Lord of the Fallen and AC Unity you embark on an epic adventure,

No Man's Sky is artistic for sure, 

you're bound to find some kind of carriage or anything else with wheels in AC Unity,

and I'm sure you can find lots of other connections to one of the other themes.

5 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Current suggestions

• Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 6 months (7 users)
  • Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 3 months

So just a suggestion but I would rather change the "Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 6 months " to "Games you have had on your profile (or owned) for more than 3 months" since these suggestions are almost the same and you would have the advantage that you can play a wider variety of games that fit the month.

16 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Congrats on your new platinum rank with a shiny golden star to go along with it. How did you like TorqueL? I'm considering giving it a go because it looks quite unique.

Thank you @xFalionx (^_^ )

I would definitely give it a go and don't be afraid of the rarity of the trophies. The game describes itself as a 2D Box Rolling & Extend Platformer, which is a perfect description of the game. The gameplay is OK, nothing really special. There isn't some kind of deep story. It's just - a 2D Box Rolling & Extend Platformer -. 

Trophy wise: The trophies are surprisingly easy if you follow @A1rPun's guide. There aren't some kind of collectibles, and you don't have to worry about the no dead and the under 10 minute trophies since you will notice that you'll earn them automatically by going for all the other trophies. If you like easily obtainable rare trophies, then play this game :lol:. If you don't really care about trophies and don't like platformers then I'm afraid that the gameplay becomes very boring after 3-4 hours.

Anyways hope this little review was helpful (^_^ )

Edited by Pixel-CAT-
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Even if the theme ends up being something else, you could still play quite a few of these games:

In Shadow of Mordor, Lord of the Fallen and AC Unity you embark on an epic adventure,

No Man's Sky is artistic for sure, 

you're bound to find some kind of carriage or anything else with wheels in AC Unity,

and I'm sure you can find lots of other connections to one of the other themes.

Indeed. I have a lot of versatility there.

• Like 1