Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

7 hours ago, The Shopkeeper said:

I guess you didn't look farther because, next to deleting you from my friends list early December, what else I did that same day was:

• Delete everyone else from my Switch friends list.
  • Delete everyone from my PS4 friends list.
  • Make my trophies completely private (I had already disabled trophy notifications months ago).
  • Log out of PSNP and stop posting on it and all other forums I was on.

I'm just done with the whole online thing. I didn't remember who most of the people on my friends lists were, and I didn't care for all the negativity in the forums. The Last Jedi sucks! Indie games suck! Digital games suck! Nintendo sucks! Marvel sucks! DC sucks! Whatever, I'm completely spent. Since quitting on forums, I've had more time to game and I've even picked up writing again.

So yeah, I'll log out again right after finishing this post. But don't worry @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, I'll re-add you if you want to see my Switch games :)

Also, while I'm here: great Direct, thankful I'm getting a Yoshi demo because I'm not too sure about that one, I've never played Link's Awakening and it looks sweet, I love how we're getting more Star Fox stuff for Starlink, yes on the extra content for Captain Toad, Box Boy + Box Girl will be something I'll play with the missus, I'll probably get Bloodstained as I liked the 8-bit one, I'll probably rebuy Hellblade, Unravel 2 is the only game EA has I'm prepared to give money to them for until they make a good Star Wars game or give up the franchise. Also, little known games currently on sale that I played and loved: Pode, Agatha Knife. I also liked Membrane but haven't finished it yet.

Kjthxbye!

I feel you on the online thing. I use a Nokia 3310 most of the time so I can't hear that incessant pah-ting that Messenger makes when someone hits me up, I like to be pretty disconnected with a lot of things. I've been using a tape player lately (and have my favorite band's new album in March coming on cassette) so when I actually get the time to listen to music it's all I do. Like you play a song on YouTube on your laptop but you're reading and article and typing a post elsewhere and loading a GIF and some other stuff up and you're not fully dedicated to the first thing you're doing, or any of the things, and you lose a bit of the experience, but also records were just too damn expensive to bother with for my cheap ass self. Tell you what, when I (eventually) get my dream little bungalow setup, with an average old couch, a nice boom box, a big ol' CRT TV (RIP to mine that got thrown when I moved early 2012), no console newer than a PS2, and a nice big WiFi blocker on the door, I'll send you an e-vite invite. 

I still never got around to having that discussion with you about Last Jedi though, hey. God, that's a rollercoaster. I mean this genuinely, EVERYONE I know in real life, even casuals, they hate Last Jedi. And I can say that now, because the last guy riding the fence hit me up the other day basically saying he saw it again for the first time and thought it ruined everything. I'm still so damn conflicted. I want to like it, I can absolutely see everything they were trying to do, and pushing people down is by no means bad out the gate but like, it's still hard to buy all of the movie and the problem is when I start to analyze it I see the cracks and like, I can see the potential / missed opportunity of stuff like the Amazing Spider-Man, great director, great cast, great idea, and a bunch of great deleted scenes and other dropped plot lines that would have made it the movie to get me over the loss of Spider-Man 4. So since you're not popping up much anymore, I'll basically say that I hold, currently anyway, Last Jedi in the camp of Amazing Spider-Man, not really what I wanted, but it could have been so close.

I do love a good debate online though, more times than I can count, I've been exposed to differing viewpoints and slightly, or radically in some cases, changed my own. But yeah, if you just got people straight yelling about shit without trying to get their point across *properly* then I feel you. I don't hit these forums too hard these days, like I come to the Nintendo one here, that's the only one I actually ever come back to though, so I don't know what parts you frequent. Don't sound too fun.

It's all good about the unfriending, I was saying it in jest anyway, like you, I couldn't care less about the online things, I have just over 30 odd people on Facebook I don't hate and that's already too much. I just swore you added me on PSN the other day so missing on the Switch caught me off guard, but apparently you're not on my PSN list so I guess I'm tripping.

Oh, and for the final part. Have faith in Respawn, or, I have faith in Respawn. Jedi Fallen Order, IS, the chosen one, it WILL bring balance.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm with you. Metroid Prime Trilogy was a rumor, so it wasn't certain, but a lot of the other rumors (e.g. AC3, MM2) turned out to be true. Link's Awakening might be digital only, but if it's budget priced, it will be "Nintendo budget priced" (e.g. $40 USD). FF9 is $10 for the PS3/PSP/Vita version but $20 for the PS4 version, so the Switch pricing is in line with the PS4 one. I don't think trophies warranted the 100% markup for PS4 (and later Switch) but what do I know. 

It just annoys me because, despite my love of backward compatibility, I'm all for re-releases. Like, the more ways to play the classics the better, I just got an NES Classic given to me for Valentine's yesterday (to be fair, K-Mart were clearing them for 59 (RRP 99) and I told her not to, but oh well), and it's pretty spiffy too, despite having a BittBoy, a BittBoy 2.0, a Retro Mini, a Nokia, Blackberry, and countless Androids that can emulate them, in addition to many of them on the 3DS and the Switch online and the NVIDIA Shield and so on. Point is, if the price / situation is right, I'm all for reselling games too if you can't just shove your old disc in the new box. But the price should NEVER be going up. We just about need a blanket, and enforced, law on this stuff. 

Games over 10 years old cannot be re-released without *significant* upgrades / changes for more than 15 bucks

Games over 20 years old cannot be re-released without *significant* upgrades / changes for more than 10 bucks

Anything before the PS1 is 5 or less.

Watch them add one new level to each re-release and charge 50 bucks for it.

Good plan with MM2. You can play that and just go through official levels and come close to the New SMB U experience, but more creative. 

I liked Fire Emblem Awakening a lot but got bored during Fates and never finished it. I like what they've shown so far for Three Houses, and I like the school setting. I'll definitely be getting it. 

Fates was so-so for me. I had conquest and the story for it was pretty bad. I mean, he figures out his adopted father is a villain and instead of reasoning with his siblings and teaming up with Hoshido, he decides it's better to take over Hoshido for his evil father and expose him on the throne once it's done. In what world does that make any sense? Not to mention that the marriage and children felt forced when honestly, they could have just did a support system without the kids or find a better way to implement them, but it was lazy writing and storytelling at it's finest.

Anyways, I like the teacher setting too. I think the bonds between students and teachers will be great and could lead to some great dialogue. I hope they don't do marriage in this one or have the teachers marry students (not illegal but highly frowned upon). I liked the marriage system in Awakening (one of my favorite features actually), but I don't think they should force it if it doesn't fit the story like they did in Fates.

The direct was alright I guess. My expectations were so low that I didn't care. There have been very few directs that got me hyped. 1 or 2 directs actually. Majoras Mask 3D and smash ultimate reveal. Anyways, I'm excited for Yoshis crafted world. I still haven't beaten Wolly world on 3DS. Will definitely beat it by then. I also realize Luigis Mansion 3 is happening and I'm so excited. Luigis Mansion 2 was so much fun on 3DS. Had a blast with it. 

Fire Emblem Three houses might be fun, i liked awakening and fates. Hated echoes. Maybe, ( i wonder if you can still marry despite the fact you are a professor and have students) I might like it as much as Awakening.

Tetris battle royal is awesome. Everything else I didn't care for. Maybe Arsenal Chain might be good. Doesn't come till August but I love Cyberpunk so I might just get my hands on it.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Fates was so-so for me. I had conquest and the story for it was pretty bad. I mean, he figures out his adopted father is a villain and instead of reasoning with his siblings and teaming up with Hoshido, he decides it's better to take over Hoshido for his evil father and expose him on the throne once it's done. In what world does that make any sense? Not to mention that the marriage and children felt forced when honestly, they could have just did a support system without the kids or find a better way to implement them, but it was lazy writing and storytelling at it's finest.

Anyways, I like the teacher setting too. I think the bonds between students and teachers will be great and could lead to some great dialogue. I hope they don't do marriage in this one or have the teachers marry students (not illegal but highly frowned upon). I liked the marriage system in Awakening (one of my favorite features actually), but I don't think they should force it if it doesn't fit the story like they did in Fates.

It wasn't really the story in Fates that annoyed me. I got the deluxe pack with all 3 campaigns but I didn't even finish the first one. I honestly can't remember which one I was playing. The game was fine I guess but I started playing something else that was more fun and never went back to Fates. 

I guess the main issue was that Awakening was better and Fates wasn't as good of a follow up. I did like the marriage feature in Awakening. I don't remember the Fates characters being as good as the Awakening ones either. 

58 minutes ago, The Titan said:

Fire Emblem Three houses might be fun, i liked awakening and fates. Hated echoes. Maybe, ( i wonder if you can still marry despite the fact you are a professor and have students) I might like it as much as Awakening.

Since it's been mentioned twice now, I wouldn't expect the school setting to limit marriage options. I work in a university and the stigma isn't as big as you might think. Also, the Fire Emblem setting is a military academy so the students are probably adults. 

The direct was alright I guess. My expectations were so low that I didn't care. There have been very few directs that got me hyped. 1 or 2 directs actually. Majoras Mask 3D and smash ultimate reveal. Anyways, I'm excited for Yoshis crafted world. I still haven't beaten Wolly world on 3DS. Will definitely beat it by then. I also realize Luigis Mansion 3 is happening and I'm so excited. Luigis Mansion 2 was so much fun on 3DS. Had a blast with it.

The Yoshi demo was fun. I also liked the Daemon x Machina demo. 

I liked Luigi's Mansion 2 a lot, and I played an hour or two of the first game on Gamecube. I'm looking forward to the 3rd game. 

Tetris battle royal is awesome. Everything else I didn't care for. Maybe Arsenal Chain might be good. Doesn't come till August but I love Cyberpunk so I might just get my hands on it.

I guess there IS an audience for that Tetris game. I tried it and immediately uninstalled it. All I want is that new Tetris Effect on Switch, which isn't happening. I guess I'll have to stick with Lumines Remastered for now. 

Arsenal Chain should be cool. Platinum Games rarely has any missteps, and when they do it's cheap licensed games (which this isn't). 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Not that many people here are likely to care about the release anyway, but MODERN COMBAT: BLACKOUT

Is a game that dropped on Switch today. It's a re-release of the nearly 5 year old mobile game Modern Combat 5: Blackout, which, as the name may suggest, is a series of Modern Warfare clones for phones. The third, and forth in particular in my opinion, were fantastic little phone shooters...but I also played them like 7 or 8 years ago and phones, and phone games, have come a long way since then. I remember 5 when it came out looking absolutely gorgeous on my Nexus 5 at the time, and when paired with a controller, it was quite the phone game. I paid 7.49 for the game in July 2014 and was happy with it, but for whatever reason, I honestly can't remember, I tried to refund it, I must have wanted to repurchase with a different payment method or something. But the refund didn't go through, I never got my money back, but I did lose my game. Bitter, I intended to never buy it again. Then a bit over a month later I bought it again, for 7.49, again. And it was pretty cool. Then I moved on to other stuff, the only reason I mention this, is because I spent 15 bucks on the game very early on, and then... then it went free to play. I don't know how the micro transactions work because 1. I haven't played the phone version in years and 2. supposedly as a previous purchaser I don't have any micro transactions anyways. But I've heard they're pretty bad, and they are not in the Switch version, thankfully.

But then, the Switch version is THIRTY ONE DOLLARS (!!!). 31 bucks, for a game, that is FREE on your phone, AND is FIVE years old (almost). So what do you get different?

Well, so far. Nothing new.

The menus still look like a phone game. The level navigation still looks like a phone game. The controls are janky and twitchy beyond belief, like a phone game. And the graphics, wow, the graphics actually look worse than I remember, they look like a pretty average phone game.

But that doesn't matter if it's fun, right? Well, you're not wrong, all the problems in the world mean nothing if a game is fun, right? Well, the game FEELS like a phone game trying to be a console game. Even after all these years after release, even after LAUNCHING with controller support out the gate almost 5 years ago, it still feels a little weird to play with a controller, it's clearly designed for a touch screen and that's fine, touch screen games with good navigation and shit is great, however, this ain't a FREE phone game, it's a 31 dollar Switch game, for reference, a boxed copy of Mario Rabbids new is 26 at the moment here. It's not worth that much. But what is it worth? I don't know, 20 or so bucks I guess, the most it would be worth. And even then it's very questionable considering it's free to play brother handles just as well.

BUT. Once you change and / or tweak LITERALLY every setting, it's still just Modern Warfare Lite. Which in itself isn't bad, it's exactly what I wanted. But it's just, there's something missing. The way every mission goes for 3 or 4 minutes at most and then you get a giant level cleared screen, sure it's fun for when you're on the train or bus or whatever on your phone but on a premium console game it just doesn't cut it, does that mean I expect an entirely reworked campaign for this port? I mean, no, but also, it's been almost 5 years, I'd argue it's not too much to expect a sequel on the phone side by now, considering the rate at which previous entries released, and then that game could come to Switch. Or even just port the multiplayer component and charge only 10 bucks or so, but that would never happen and I'm rambling. Look, the main point I'm getting at, is this is a Modern Warfare clone for Switch, that's already almost 5 years old on release, is available free elsewhere, arguably plays AND looks better elsewhere, and does nothing really new. If it was cheap and or free, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat though, so there is definitely fun to be had here. It's just really, really, really, REALLY, average, and makes me hope the MW2 remaster rumblings are true, and that it's coming to Switch. 

In a sentence, if you want online FPS action on Switch, get Doom and deal with the lower player count.

In two words, meh and overpriced.

In a word, meh. 

I do look forward to playing bots tonight with the missus though, AFAIK there is bots. If I find out there isn't, I will be very bummed.

• Like 1

Addendum: 

Doom will have more people if it has 10 people. I've played maybe 40 odd minutes of online on this game. In EVERY match, I have encountered at least one or two of the same people. No, it's not the same lobby. I've quit to the menu, changed my loadout, jumped into a random match and had them again. I've had the game crash on me the second I start to do alright just then. And now it can't seem to connect at all. All of these could be forgiven on most game's first days, but I won't, because it's not it's first day, it's been out for nearly 5 fucking years, come on Gameloft. Fuck. Damn. 

Anyway. Maps are quite nicely designed but there's no one playing. I don't know, maybe if you didn't try to get away with charging THIRTY ONE DOLLARS for a free game you'd have more people? Eh. I thought it had cross play with phones tbh, that was the one thing that convinced me after all the other issues, I was like, no matter what, it's a free phone game, there will be a lot of people to beat online. Nope. Just a handful, and now that Switch online ain't free, the number of potential players dips even lower.

More importantly, THERE'S NO FUCKING BOTS. Which really means, this game is useless. I'd call it a 31 dollar paperweight, but then, it's digital only. Which is smart for Gameloft though, because if this was a physical game I'd be returning it tomorrow.

...that being said though, it is still kinda fun at times, but like, 31 is just too much to overlook the many, many, MAAAANY faults in what is really a 5 year old mobile game you can play elsewhere entirely for free. Sorry I'm not so forgiving of a game like that.

Remember how everyone hated Battlefront 2? I picked up the Xbox version for 7.50 the other day and after all the patches and shit it's quite alright. To think I could buy 4 copies of that and still have change for the price of this one game is sad.

Re: Modern Combat on Switch.

Plot twist of the century, I actually love the thing on Switch now.

I know, I know, how? Dylan, you flip flopping piece of ass, why don't you shut up until you've made you opinion, and then talk? Etc. etc.

Well, the game changed, not my opinion of it. The game seems to have launched in a fair few more territories since my posts, and there is a lot more players now, you'll find a match in a second and have a full lobby more times than not. It's pretty cool. Everything else I've said still stays perfectly true and valid, but in that, I also said I basically just wanted a Modern Warfare clone on Switch and I got it, so I'm happy. Is the game worth 30 now? No, fuck no, and everything else I said is still true too. Buuut, it's pretty fun to play pretend Modern Warfare 4 on Switch. That being said, I'd have probably had a better experience dumping the APK of MC5 from my phone to the NVIDIA and played it there with a controller, against idiots on their phones, and dominated, but oh well, I wanted a Switch shooter.

Daemon X Machina demo was pretty cool. Played all four missions and the colossal boss battle reminded me of Freedom Wars. I was surprised by the customization options for both the character and mecha. There are some things I'm hoping they will fix for the final game but enjoyed the demo quite a bit.

tumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo1_r1_1280.jpgtumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo7_1280.jpg

Got 9 games for 3DS and 1 for Wii U recently and haven't had time to play anything on Switch.
I'm actually glad they're pushing the Fire Emblem: Three Houses release a bit further. Gives me more time to play my backlog and gives them more time to polish it.

Edited by Eyjabria

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Daemon X Machina demo was pretty cool. Played all four missions and the colossal boss battle reminded me of Freedom Wars. I was surprised by the customization options for both the character and mecha. There are some things I'm hoping they will fix for the final game but enjoyed the demo quite a bit.

tumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo1_r1_1280.jpgtumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_pmz9u7j6qD1tyw21qo7_1280.jpg

Got 9 games for 3DS and 1 for Wii U recently and haven't had time to play anything on Switch.
I'm actually glad they're pushing the Fire Emblem: Three Houses release a bit further. Gives me more time to play my backlog and gives them more time to polish it.

I was also impressed by the customization in Daemon x Machina. The boss battle was somewhat confusing... I couldn't tell if I was doing damage to the boss before the cavalry came in and destroyed it in the cutscene. Actually I think that was mission 3? Maybe the next mission is a "true" boss battle.

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I was also impressed by the customization in Daemon x Machina. The boss battle was somewhat confusing... I couldn't tell if I was doing damage to the boss before the cavalry came in and destroyed it in the cutscene. Actually I think that was mission 3? Maybe the next mission is a "true" boss battle.

Yeah, that one mission was a bit weird. The fourth mission is a real boss battle. Tip: Watch out for the edges of the level. There's a stupid mechanic that pushes you towards the enemy if you exceed the boundaries of the area (that is one thing I hope they will change). It's a nasty combination with the damaging shield skill the boss uses.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my switch today! xD I picked up Splatoon 2, Super Smash bros, and Mario Odyssey. Walmart was out of copies of BoTW, but I will pick it up later. For now, I'm just gonna play Smash anyways.

I'll also grab an eCard for online mode so I can play with friends too. I'll post my switch friend code when I get switch online and maybe some of us can play together.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 2:44 AM, Eyjabria said:

Yeah, that one mission was a bit weird. The fourth mission is a real boss battle. Tip: Watch out for the edges of the level. There's a stupid mechanic that pushes you towards the enemy if you exceed the boundaries of the area (that is one thing I hope they will change). It's a nasty combination with the damaging shield skill the boss uses.

Weird side note but I saw on your site that you got Tokyo Mirage Sessions for Wii U. Have you started it yet? It's a cool game and I recently finished it after a long break (I bought it when it first came out in the USA). It's basically a music/idol themed spinoff of Persona with Persona combat, but REALLY streamlined. I have just started Persona 5 and I'm finding myself getting my butt kicked in combat because I was so spoiled by TMS (in that game you can fight a single battle and have enough money for a health/SP recharge for your whole party).

Anyway, I hope you like it. The side stories for your party members are pretty cool, although it doesn't have the level of interaction of a mainline Persona game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield announced for Switch with a new region and new Pokemon. Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield will release in late 2019. Can't wait! And Happy Pokemon Day! ^_^

Happy Pokemon day!!! I'm pumped and was hoping for exactly this! I'm already thinking water lizard or the grass monkey. Not a fan of the fire rabbit, but I may change my mind once I see the evolutions.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Weird side note but I saw on your site that you got Tokyo Mirage Sessions for Wii U. Have you started it yet? It's a cool game and I recently finished it after a long break (I bought it when it first came out in the USA). It's basically a music/idol themed spinoff of Persona with Persona combat, but REALLY streamlined. I have just started Persona 5 and I'm finding myself getting my butt kicked in combat because I was so spoiled by TMS (in that game you can fight a single battle and have enough money for a health/SP recharge for your whole party).

Anyway, I hope you like it. The side stories for your party members are pretty cool, although it doesn't have the level of interaction of a mainline Persona game.

I haven't had time to start Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE yet. Was going to buy it when it was first released but I had so many games in my backlog I skipped it. Now it's getting harder to find Wii U games so I bought the last copy from my favorite retailer before they're all gone.

Good to hear the combat isn't too tedious or grindy. I have a feeling I'm going to like the game as I like both Persona and Fire Emblem series. :3

Pokémon Sword and Shield looked nice even though I prefer the old sprite graphics. I might go with the grass starter. 

Here's the first trailer for those who haven't seen it yet. 

I haven't played a legit Pokemon game since Red & Blue on the Gameboy way back when... so I think I'm actually going to pick this one up (probably Sword I guess?) whenever it's out.  I just hope the Pokemon don't get too ridiculously cheesy after the first generation. xD

Now that I've officially bailed on RE2... I can barely get through one playthrough of a game I'm really enjoying lately, no less being forced to play through some two painfully similar A and B path playthrough nonsense of a game I'm feeling pretty 'meh' about, so hard pass... my sights have turned onto the Switch.

Kinda debating between restarting Celeste (and doing the collectibles, b-sides and post-story stuff this time) or restarting Breath of the Wild (which I never finished).  Hopefully decide by this evening so I can get some quality gaming in this weekend.  Kinda leaning towards Celeste since it'd probably be quicker and I love a good platformer... but it'd be nice to finish BotW someday.  Don't really have a ton of interesting new games for a few months so now might be a good time for a full playthrough of an open ended game like BotW.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I haven't had time to start Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE yet. Was going to buy it when it was first released but I had so many games in my backlog I skipped it. Now it's getting harder to find Wii U games so I bought the last copy from my favorite retailer before they're all gone.

Good to hear the combat isn't too tedious or grindy. I have a feeling I'm going to like the game as I like both Persona and Fire Emblem series. :3

Just keep in mind that the game is heavy on Persona, and light on Fire Emblem. The Fire Emblem influence is mostly the names of things; it doesn't really directly affect gameplay.

TMS does not inherit the calendar system from Persona, but the combat is pretty similar. You get a low-SP skill early on that makes jumping out of a dungeon trivial at any time, and you can jump back in after restocking. Rinse and repeat as often as you want.

I liked the game a lot. It's not a fullblown Persona game, and the characters aren't quite as well-developed, but they are still fun. There isn't as much to do outside of combat (non combat stat raising for example), so think of it as "Persona light".

The art is very stylish, although now that I'm playing P5, I think that outdoes it somewhat. I'm also thinking it had a much lower budget than a fullblown Persona game though. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Oh yeah, one more question for you. I know you played XC2 and liked it (I recently finished it), but have you played XCX? If so, did you play it after or before XC2? I'm wondering how jarring it might be for me to play that now, after XC2.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Just keep in mind that the game is heavy on Persona, and light on Fire Emblem. The Fire Emblem influence is mostly the names of things; it doesn't really directly affect gameplay.

TMS does not inherit the calendar system from Persona, but the combat is pretty similar. You get a low-SP skill early on that makes jumping out of a dungeon trivial at any time, and you can jump back in after restocking. Rinse and repeat as often as you want.

I liked the game a lot. It's not a fullblown Persona game, and the characters aren't quite as well-developed, but they are still fun. There isn't as much to do outside of combat (non combat stat raising for example), so think of it as "Persona light".

The art is very stylish, although now that I'm playing P5, I think that outdoes it somewhat. I'm also thinking it had a much lower budget than a fullblown Persona game though. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Oh yeah, one more question for you. I know you played XC2 and liked it (I recently finished it), but have you played XCX? If so, did you play it after or before XC2? I'm wondering how jarring it might be for me to play that now, after XC2.

Good to hear the time management part isn't there in TMS #FE. Didn't really like it in Persona. It's hard to top the style of Persona 5 but once you see past the eye candy, the gameplay is actually quite limited and boring. Didn't live up to all the hype. Persona 4 Golden and Persona Q were better games IMO. 

I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 before I started XCX and didn't find the game jarring at all so far. 

I've played Xenoblade Chronicles X only for a few hours now so I can't really comment on much of the content. The art style is very different from XC2 and it seems it has heavier emphasis on exploration and lighter emphasis on story. Combat is quite similar to XC2 but the battle UI seemed confusing at first and it was a bit more tedious to trigger topples etc. quickly. It's still a lot of fun. The environments are impressive with humongous creatures roaming around - some were so big your own character is about the size of their toe.

You can customize your own character's looks, equipment, class and skills and you can select a division.

Bad points to mention: There's no Japanese audio option and the free DLC packs that make the physical game load assets faster were quite big so you might need an external drive if you want to install them all. The online features seem to have ceased to function at this point. The music so far hasn't been nearly as good as XC2's epic soundtrack. 

I quite liked the game so far and can see it becoming a huge time sink with places to explore and all kinds of missions to complete. Looking forward to flying a Skell.

Edited by Eyjabria

I hear a lot of people complain that Pokemon looks more of the same, but I think only time will tell. I think I'm more excited that we will actually have a traditional Pokemon game with multiple saves with the account system on the switch (I think? I'm a Switch noob). I kinda hope you can have Pokemon battles against other accounts on your switch or team up with them for doubles online battling to encourage local play with family, but I'm probably hoping for to much there. Not sure how it was set up for let's go Pikachu or Eevee...

16 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Good to hear the time management part isn't there in TMS #FE. Didn't really like it in Persona. It's hard to top the style of Persona 5 but once you see past the eye candy, the gameplay is actually quite limited and boring. Didn't live up to all the hype. Persona 4 Golden and Persona Q were better games IMO.

I'm at the end of the first dungeon of P5 and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not really expecting it to be as good as P4 though. I played P4G first, then P3P and now this. I also played P4A, P4AU, P4D, and P3D. I also recently started Persona Q and got to the first boss fight. I'm way outclassed (the boss has way too much HP for me to last through the fight) so I might have to grind out some levels. I like the game, it has all the P4 charm, but I am not a fan of the dungeon crawler gameplay. With automapping it's doable but I wouldn't be playing that genre without the Persona setting. I preordered Q2 so hopefully I can stick it out with Q1.

18 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 before I started XCX and didn't find the game jarring at all so far. 

I've played Xenoblade Chronicles X only for a few hours now so I can't really comment on much of the content. The art style is very different from XC2 and it seems it has heavier emphasis on exploration and lighter emphasis on story. Combat is quite similar to XC2 but the battle UI seemed confusing at first and it was a bit more tedious to trigger topples etc. quickly. It's still a lot of fun. The environments are impressive with humongous creatures roaming around - some were so big your own character is about the size of their toe.

You can customize your own character's looks, equipment, class and skills and you can select a division.

Bad points to mention: There's no Japanese audio option and the free DLC packs that make the physical game load assets faster were quite big so you might need an external drive if you want to install them all. The online features seem to have ceased to function at this point. The music so far hasn't been nearly as good as XC2's epic soundtrack. 

I quite liked the game so far and can see it becoming a huge time sink with places to explore and all kinds of missions to complete. Looking forward to flying a Skell.

Cool, good to know. I'm not a big explorer in JRPGs, and combined with the MMO influence of XCX, I'm a bit iffy on it. I'm probably weird but I don't like creating custom characters so that's an actual drawback for me!

I prefer English dubs (I'm one of those weirdos who likes JRPGs but with English audio) so I don't personally care about the lack of Japanese audio, but that's a shame for the people who like it. I have an external Wii U drive so I'm good there.

11 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm at the end of the first dungeon of P5 and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not really expecting it to be as good as P4 though. I played P4G first, then P3P and now this. I also played P4A, P4AU, P4D, and P3D. I also recently started Persona Q and got to the first boss fight. I'm way outclassed (the boss has way too much HP for me to last through the fight) so I might have to grind out some levels. I like the game, it has all the P4 charm, but I am not a fan of the dungeon crawler gameplay. With automapping it's doable but I wouldn't be playing that genre without the Persona setting. I preordered Q2 so hopefully I can stick it out with Q1.

Cool, good to know. I'm not a big explorer in JRPGs, and combined with the MMO influence of XCX, I'm a bit iffy on it. I'm probably weird but I don't like creating custom characters so that's an actual drawback for me!

I prefer English dubs (I'm one of those weirdos who likes JRPGs but with English audio) so I don't personally care about the lack of Japanese audio, but that's a shame for the people who like it. I have an external Wii U drive so I'm good there.

Ah, it's a shame you haven't liked the dungeon crawling in Persona Q. You might not enjoy the game much then. I personally like the Etrian Odyssey mapping aspect (I use the automapping too though, marking only doors, secret pathways and other spots of interest) and Persona Q's sub persona system offers more variation to combat and team customization than the main series Persona games, making battles more interesting.
If you're having trouble in PQ, try using status ailments. Bosses shouldn't be immune to them like in many other games. 

I don't think I've ever heard someone say they don't like character customization, haha.

21 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Ah, it's a shame you haven't liked the dungeon crawling in Persona Q. You might not enjoy the game much then. I personally like the Etrian Odyssey mapping aspect (I use the automapping too though, marking only doors, secret pathways and other spots of interest) and Persona Q's sub persona system offers more variation to combat and team customization than the main series Persona games, making battles more interesting.
If you're having trouble in PQ, try using status ailments. Bosses shouldn't be immune to them like in many other games.

I'm digging the dialog at least. The boys (especially Kanji) being toyed with like dolls after they shrunk down was hilarious. I don't know how the Japanese dub was (not sure if that is included in the Western release, I didn't pay attention), but in the English dub they all talked with squeaky voices... it was great.

I do like the sub persona system, although I haven't mastered it yet.

24 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say they don't like character customization, haha.

Yeah, I know it's weird, but to me it's just a chore. As long as I can create someone who looks like me pretty quickly (I'm too uncreative to make someone interesting), I'll be fine with that part. I used to sit there and take an hour to create a character, but that's just time I'm not actually playing the game IMO. My patience is pretty low for that stuff as I get older.