Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

22 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, look at it this way. The main appeal of the Switch isn't great prices - it's portability. If you don't care about playing games on the go, the only reason to own a Switch for a gamer who primarily plays on PS4, is the exclusive games. And if that is your category, why complain about the prices? Just play the handful of exclusives and move on. That's how I treat my Xbox One.

I also love the exclusives on Sony's plattform but I would complain about them as well, if the prices were that high.

If you're going to criticize Nintendo for bad prices, you can make the same argument about PSN and Steam. Steam almost always has better prices than PSN, and the sales are more frequent and better. So why play on PS4? Nobody is playing on PS4 because it has the best game deals, because it doesn't.

You are right, I play on the PS4, cause I am a console player and prefer gaming in my living room. Fortunately I get pretty good deals on my PS4. They are also better than many sales on the XBOX and of course the Switch. In that regard I chose the "right" console without knowing beforehand. And yes, sometimes it bugs me that Sony is nat that cheap as Steam but why shouldn't I state that? Nintendo's policy is ridiculous.

Another way of looking at this: you mention that no other company keeps the prices high over time. In gaming, that may be true, but it's not true outside of gaming. Look at Apple. They charge more for their hardware. Nintendo is pretty similar in their approach (except the console itself is cheaper). Nintendo has found its niche, which is selling games that they consider a premium experience. And with how well the Switch is selling, why would they be motivated to cut their game prices?

If you belive it or not but I was considering to write about Apple as another bad example. ;)  And yes, I get the argument that Nintendo is making a shitload of money and from a company side I wouldn't change it either. But I am still not a fan of it.

On the other hand, some people value the portability of the Switch more than anything else. That is definitely true of me. I don't care if Dead Cells is regularly 50% off on PSN (and I haven't seen it go on sale that much, actually) - I would much rather play it on Switch. And it finally went on sale during the Black Friday sale that's still going on, so I grabbed it. It was only down to $20 from 25, but that was enough of a discount for me. But maybe I'm crazy - if you gave me the choice between RDR2 on PS4 and a theoretical RDR2 for Switch with worse graphics, I would pick the Switch version hands-down. The portable nature of the Switch and being able to switch over to TV play on the fly, is a huge feature for me that I love. I wish Sony would make a Vita 2 and/or PS5 that did something similar, but I don't think they will.

Absolutely valid and great reasons! No arguing about that.

18 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

@Eyjabria

... Seriously? Who still thinks this day and age a game isn't worth their time just because there's no huge publisher behind it?

Did I say that? Don't think so. I did play many games which aren't triple A titles. I just don't care as much about them as for other titles. And to be honest I don't hear much about them too. Celeste and Dead cells come to my mind as the more "famous" titles and eventually I play them, cause they look great to me.

Believe it or not, but "indie" games are as varied as AAA games. Perhaps MORE varied as they rely less on "what formula gets the most dough" and more on passion projects.

I do believe it.

Play some The Messenger, Golf Story, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX, World Of Goo, SOMA, Statik, Accounting+, Hellblade, Octodad, Wandersong, Runner3, Elite Dangerous, The Witcher, Agatha Knife, Banner Saga...

We'll talk afterwards.

Waiting for Celeste and Fast RMX. Already own Octodad and Stardew Valley. Btw. what should change "afterwards"?

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I disagree that those games make 8-bit look good. 8-bit is 8-bit and ugly is ugly. Does the style work in those games? Sure, but they don't look good. I'd still rather play them both with a different art style. I really, really want the retro graphics fad to die. Again, to compare to Rayman Origins/Legends, those were games that were homages/sequels to the earlier games in the series, while bringing the graphics into the current era with a simple yet effective style. You can do the same thing with Ninja Gaiden without resorting to 8-bit graphics.

I actually think they look cool though. On the handheld screen, at least.

If Rayman Legends type graphics are done well, they look great. If they're not done well, you might end up with Dust, or worse.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

This might be another discrepancy between Europe and the USA. Here in the states, those Ubisoft/Bethesda/EA games have never gotten deep discounts, and certainly never half off like they are now. By contrast, each week there have been multiple indie games at 50%+ off. Technically those third-party AAA games have gone on sale in the past, but not the major cuts @Gommes_ was looking for that are comparable to PSN sales. Those are reserved for rare sales like this current one.

Here in Europe, big games on PS4 aren't on sales as great as in the USA, so PS4 and Switch are much closer together.

37 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Did I say that? Don't think so. I did play many games which aren't triple A titles. I just don't care as much about them as for other titles. And to be honest I don't hear much about them too. Celeste and Dead cells come to my mind as the more "famous" titles and eventually I play them, cause they look great to me.

You didn't use the exact words, but you still admit you care less for indies than for AAAs. Combined with the following:

I do believe it.

I have a hard time figuring out where you're coming from. You care less for indies, but agree that they have greater variation and dev passion? To me that feels weird. Over the last two years, I've come to love indies much more since much of AAA gaming is in a rut, at least in my opinion. Too much money makes for not enough experimentation.

Waiting for Celeste and Fast RMX. Already own Octodad and Stardew Valley. Btw. what should change "afterwards"?

What would change afterwards is greater understanding and appreciation of how varied the games that could be called "indie" actually are :) I feel like just saying you don't care about indies as much is not thinking enough anout what counts as indie.

And yeah, I do a lot of research myself in figuring out what new indies are worth my money and time. I feel like it's worth it, having played gems like Yoku's Island Express, The Messenger and SOMA this year.

11 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

I actually think they look cool though. On the handheld screen, at least.

If Rayman Legends type graphics are done well, they look great. If they're not done well, you might end up with Dust, or worse.

Agree to disagree then. I would say Dust's art direction is kind of bland, but it definitely looks better than retro 8-bit graphics. I would take bland non-retro graphics over retro 8-bit graphics any day of the week. I played Shovel Knight and I'm playing The Messenger because the gameplay is great, but I can't claim to like the graphics. And hell, I played Shovel Knight on the Vita, where the screen is even smaller, but they we retro graphics were still noticeable. Again, if it's not clear I'm not boycotting retro 8-bit games, but I still want the trend to die.

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

I also love the exclusives on Sony's plattform but I would complain about them as well, if the prices were that high.

You are right, I play on the PS4, cause I am a console player and prefer gaming in my living room. Fortunately I get pretty good deals on my PS4. They are also better than many sales on the XBOX and of course the Switch. In that regard I chose the "right" console without knowing beforehand. And yes, sometimes it bugs me that Sony is nat that cheap as Steam but why shouldn't I state that? Nintendo's policy is ridiculous.

If you belive it or not but I was considering to write about Apple as another bad example. ;)  And yes, I get the argument that Nintendo is making a shitload of money and from a company side I wouldn't change it either. But I am still not a fan of it.

Look, I'm not trying to change your mind. Life's too short to waste time trying to change people's minds about just about anything, in my opinion. That being said, I'm sharing my own logic for thinking about this situation because it comes up a lot as a point against Nintendo. Here's how I deal with it:

1. For this generation (Switch), Nintendo has better 3rd party AAA games support, and especially better indie games support. The first party Nintendo games don't seem to be as large in number as the Wii and Wii U days, although it's still early in the Switch's lifespan. The point here, for me, is that Nintendo only sets the prices for their first party games. They don't control the price of DOOM or Rayman Legends. So the affected number of Switch games that don't drop in price, or drop in price much slower than PS4 games do, is smaller than in past generations. If we're talking about a Nintendo "policy", it affects only a handful of games so far.

2. Previous generations had a "Nintendo Selects" line of the most popular games on the platform, which got deep discounts. Yes, it took a while for them to get that price cut, but it happened. The Switch will most likely do the same thing. This is conjecture, but it's based on past history with the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

My last point about price is a question. Do you buy ALL your PS4 games after deep discounts? Are there any games that you get Day One? Personally, I buy a mix of price points on PS4. There are games where I wait for a sale (e.g. Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which I just got for 50% off), and there are games that I want to play Day One so I buy them at original retail price (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2). In my mind, I look at first party Nintendo games similar to those Day One games on PS4. I'll buy them at full price, and move on. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it because it's part of my standard buying pattern I've been using for years now on all platforms. I think this price discrepancy issue that keeps coming up is somewhat overstated, because I can't believe people are buying tons of first party Nintendo games. There actually aren't that many to choose from yet. Speaking for myself, I did not buy Mario Tennis Aces - I can wait for that to drop to $20 or $30, and if it doesn't, I won't mind not playing it. but I don't mind at all buying Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and a few others at full retail price, because those were all "Day One" games for me.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

I have a hard time figuring out where you're coming from. You care less for indies, but agree that they have greater variation and dev passion? To me that feels weird. Over the last two years, I've come to love indies much more since much of AAA gaming is in a rut, at least in my opinion. Too much money makes for not enough experimentation.

I care less for them on the switch and in regards of waiting for sales, since they are not that much in the first place. Plus the anticipation for them is not that great, since it is not heavily advertised or known until a certain period of time.

What would change afterwards is greater understanding and appreciation of how varied the games that could be called "indie" actually are :) I feel like just saying you don't care about indies as much is not thinking enough anout what counts as indie.

Maybe that's it - a different understanding on what counts as indie.

What I am trying to say is that I did not buy the switch for indie games, even though they might be great

And yeah, I do a lot of research myself in figuring out what new indies are worth my money and time. I feel like it's worth it, having played gems like Yoku's Island Express, The Messenger and SOMA this year.

SOMA does look good, really good actually.

I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Season Pass yesterday as it was 25% off and I had to use soon expiring My Nintendo Gold Points. In the end I paid only 17 euros for the expansion using an eShop card bought with my trade-in money from Mario Tennis Aces. I had earned Gold Points from the physical copy of Mario Tennis and I got more Gold Points from the purchase of XC2 Season Pass to use towards my next purchase. My Nintendo is quite a nice customer loyalty system.

6 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Season Pass yesterday as it was 25% off and I had to use soon expiring My Nintendo Gold Points. In the end I paid only 17 euros for the expansion using an eShop card bought with my trade-in money from Mario Tennis Aces. I had earned Gold Points from the physical copy of Mario Tennis and I got more Gold Points from the purchase of XC2 Season Pass to use towards my next purchase. My Nintendo is quite a nice customer loyalty system.

I got the XC2 Season Pass when I first started playing the base game not too long ago. I haven't started the Torna expansion story yet, but I liked most of the DLC content I've played in the base game. Currently I'm trying to finish up the Blade quests before moving on, but I just cannot get the last 4 Blades to show up (I'm talking about the "standard" ones, I'm not playing New Game+ and getting those extra Blades). Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what content came with the Season Pass and what came with the free patches (besides Torna of course), but there is a LOT of content in the game with the Season Pass.

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I got the XC2 Season Pass when I first started playing the base game not too long ago. I haven't started the Torna expansion story yet, but I liked most of the DLC content I've played in the base game. Currently I'm trying to finish up the Blade quests before moving on, but I just cannot get the last 4 Blades to show up (I'm talking about the "standard" ones, I'm not playing New Game+ and getting those extra Blades). Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what content came with the Season Pass and what came with the free patches (besides Torna of course), but there is a LOT of content in the game with the Season Pass.

I'm missing 6 rare Blades from the main game and I haven't tried the New Game+ stuff at all yet. The content in the main game lasted me 220+ hours so far and I probably have a lot of the Blade quests unfinished and then there's that lv130 or something boss creature waiting for me out there (got him out of the ice block and had to run for my life).

Apparently the Torna main story content included in the Season Pass alone is around 40 hours long. Here's a list of what's included in the expansion: https://xenobladechronicles2.nintendo.com/dlc/

53 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm missing 6 rare Blades from the main game and I haven't tried the New Game+ stuff at all yet. The content in the main game lasted me 220+ hours so far and I probably have a lot of the Blade quests unfinished and then there's that lv130 or something boss creature waiting for me out there (got him out of the ice block and had to run for my life).

Apparently the Torna main story content included in the Season Pass alone is around 40 hours long. Here's a list of what's included in the expansion: https://xenobladechronicles2.nintendo.com/dlc/

Oh right, so the Season Pass is the only way to get difficulty levels. Since the player level maxes out at 99 (which I hit a while back), you can use the Custom difficulty to make that level 130 boss more manageable. It's also a good way to farm Legendary Core Crystals, because you can set the custom settings so that enemies do low damage but have high HP, which gives you more time to do Smash combos on them before they die. If I remember right, I fought that level 130 boss on Custom and still had trouble with him but eventually prevailed.

Also, as I have learned to do with JRPGs, the typical time estimate needs to be at least doubled for me. So 40 hours for Torna is probably 80 for me. I'm not a completionist, but for whatever reason I always find those estimates to be vastly under-estimating the gameplay length. 

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh right, so the Season Pass is the only way to get difficulty levels. Since the player level maxes out at 99 (which I hit a while back), you can use the Custom difficulty to make that level 130 boss more manageable. It's also a good way to farm Legendary Core Crystals, because you can set the custom settings so that enemies do low damage but have high HP, which gives you more time to do Smash combos on them before they die. If I remember right, I fought that level 130 boss on Custom and still had trouble with him but eventually prevailed.

Also, as I have learned to do with JRPGs, the typical time estimate needs to be at least doubled for me. So 40 hours for Torna is probably 80 for me. I'm not a completionist, but for whatever reason I always find those estimates to be vastly under-estimating the gameplay length. 

Ooh, I see. Thanks for the tips! 

I'm the same with pretty much any game. I often end up spending double or even triple time to finish games compared to the average player.. Luckily XC2 was such an enjoyable game it never felt dull. I remember playing it exclusively for 6 weeks and being really excited about it (we bought the fantastic soundtrack too).

Now I just need to finish up some games I've started before I dive into Torna.

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So the affected number of Switch games that don't drop in price, or drop in price much slower than PS4 games do, is smaller than in past generations. If we're talking about a Nintendo "policy", it affects only a handful of games so far.

Yes, the first party games I want to play and the reason I got the Switch.

2. Previous generations had a "Nintendo Selects" line of the most popular games on the platform, which got deep discounts. Yes, it took a while for them to get that price cut, but it happened. The Switch will most likely do the same thing. This is conjecture, but it's based on past history with the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

I also owned the Wii and know about that. I really hope that it will happen.

My last point about price is a question. Do you buy ALL your PS4 games after deep discounts? Are there any games that you get Day One? Personally, I buy a mix of price points on PS4. There are games where I wait for a sale (e.g. Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which I just got for 50% off), and there are games that I want to play Day One so I buy them at original retail price (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2).

Usually I wait for better prices unless the predecessor really convinced me, just as in RDR 2 or Ni No Kuni (even though part 2 sucked - screw you Level 5?). I did buy Zelda for almost 70 bucks and Mario Odyssey for 65. Too much actually but what is a Switch without these? ;) And I loved these games but wonder how they are still that expensive. There are games I don't necessarily "need" but would like to play like. Just like Mario Tennis or Xenoblade 2.

Look, with Mario and Zelda I knew that it will be great and that there are some "standards" by Nintendo which I will always find in their biggest franchises. I just don't know if that is the case for other games. This wouldn't be a problem if they drop in prices, so a possible disappointment would not be that high. I also waited for God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. If I had paid 60 bucks for HZD I would've been kinda mad - 30 was fine. Spidey and God of War are actually worth more imo.

I just don't wanna trust every single company that makes a triple A game, especially in this day and age where it seems that some developers are only in this game for the money.

15 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Yes, the first party games I want to play and the reason I got the Switch.

I also owned the Wii and know about that. I really hope that it will happen.

Usually I wait for better prices unless the predecessor really convinced me, just as in RDR 2 or Ni No Kuni (even though part 2 sucked - screw you Level 51f620.png). I did buy Zelda for almost 70 bucks and Mario Odyssey for 65. Too much actually but what is a Switch without these? ;) And I loved these games but wonder how they are still that expensive. There are games I don't necessarily "need" but would like to play like. Just like Mario Tennis or Xenoblade 2.

Look, with Mario and Zelda I knew that it will be great and that there are some "standards" by Nintendo which I will always find in their biggest franchises. I just don't know if that is the case for other games. This wouldn't be a problem if they drop in prices, so a possible disappointment would not be that high. I also waited for God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. If I had paid 60 bucks for HZD I would've been kinda mad - 30 was fine. Spidey and God of War are actually worth more imo.

I just don't wanna trust every single company that makes a triple A game, especially in this day and age where it seems that some developers are only in this game for the money.

Oh I agree about not trusting every single AAA games company. I wasn't super excited about HDZ so I waited for a sale (I still haven't played it). God of War actually didn't interest me at all, so I skipped it. I got Spider-Man day one because I trust Insomniac.

I think in most cases, at least with Nintendo, doing a little research pays off. Games like Mario Tennis didn't look like they were on the same level as Mario Odyssey or Zelda, and Mario Tennis had a demo on top of that. So it was easy for me to wait for a sale (and I'm fine to still be waiting, since it hasn't gone on sale yet). With the relatively small number of Nintendo first party games, I don't think it's that hard to pick and choose which games to pay full price on and which to wait for a sale. But even if somebody was interested in EVERY first party Nintendo game, buying them at full price isn't as bad as getting all the Sony exclusives day one, because they just aren't that many.

Here's the list of exclusives for 2017 and 2018 (not counting the digital-only ones):

Switch Exclusives

1-2-Switch

ARMS

Kirby Star Allies

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Mario Tennis Aces

Labo 1: Variety Kit

Labo 2: Robot Kit

Labo 3: Vehicle Kit

Octopath Traveler

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Snipperclips

Splatoon 2

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Party

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch/3DS Exclusives

Fire Emblem Warriors

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido

Wii U Ports

Bayonetta 2

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Pokken Tournament DX

3DS Ports

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Of those Switch exclusives, Mario+Rabbids and Ocotopath Traveler are third party so Nintendo doesn't set the prices. 1-2-Switch was a tech demo, and the Labo kits were pretty obviously designed as creative activities more than games. The ports could be gotten for older platforms for a cheaper price. So in summary, that's 11 first-party games that Nintendo controls the prices for, in 22 months of the Switch being out. And realistically, most gamers aren't going to be interested in all 11 of them. So again, I think the "high Nintendo prices" issue is overstated. On the subject of quality, Mario Tennis Aces is the only one of those games that got less-than-great reviews. Nitnendo's track record for quality this generation is pretty good.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 0:06 AM, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know if it beats it, but I bought a 400gb microsd card for 70 dollars for the switch during Thanksgiving thursday

70 AUD though? Because 70 USD in AUD is just under 96 bucks. Still a ripper of a deal nonetheless for that size.

On 11/25/2018 at 0:55 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

So here's the weird thing about Just Dance. I'm not sure if @Super-Fly Spider-Guy's kid has joined the Cult of Disney yet, but my daughter has (and my nostalgia for the 90's Disney animated movies doesn't help the situation). A month or two ago, I got a used copy of Just Dance Disney Party on Wii, to play on my Wii U. It has a bunch of classic Disney songs, with the newest ones being from the movie Tangled. However, being an early spin-off game in the series, the mechanics aren't great and it's also pretty tedious to play with forced Wiimote controls (you can't hit B to go back for example, you have to point to the Back button on-screen). Naturally a newer game in the series is going to be mechanically better, but the Disney songs are mostly gone (maybe licensing issues). With this new one, you can buy an annual subscription that includes 400+ songs, but it's still only like 4 Disney movie songs. I dunno, this seems like a lost opportunity here. 

Was that the Amazon deal for the 400GB card? That was an amazing deal and I should have held out, but I saw a "pre" Black Friday deal for a 256 card for $45. Still a good deal, but the 400GB deal was truly killer. At least we all got nice upgrades though. I transferred over my card data last night and it worked without issues. 

Nope. Though I have stumbled into copies of Just Dance 2019 on Xbox 360, Wii, and Wii U... traded them all in for about 10 bucks each. But also nah, I don't really get down with "Disney Disney", most Pixar is pretty cool though. But also, that sucks, a great thing with these music games is how you can bring your songs forward, but sounds like you're getting screwed unfortunately.

Also, I know you weren't asking me, but I'm here anyway. There was a deal on Newegg for 30 bucks off a spend over 70 bucks. They were flogging the 200GB cards for 47 or so which itself isn't half bad at all, but if you got two it was 94 and then 30 off brought it down to just under 32 each, steal.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:45 PM, Gommes_ said:

Didn't realize Nintendo had a sale going on, since that only happens once a year ;). I finally got the Zelda dlc for 14.99€ plus a little discount due to the coin system. Now I just have to wait for Fast RMX. This was on sale last year when I got the switch but stupid me thought, that I just get it the next time when it's on sale. Not knowing that Nintendo does not work like Steam or the PSN.

If Fast RMX is something you think you'd really dig, just buy it. The game is a blast and can be replayed over and over. Was the first Switch game I bought actually, at like half past midnight when I got home with the thing in hand.

58 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

70 AUD though? Because 70 USD in AUD is just under 96 bucks. Still a ripper of a deal nonetheless for that size.

Nope. Though I have stumbled into copies of Just Dance 2019 on Xbox 360, Wii, and Wii U... traded them all in for about 10 bucks each. But also nah, I don't really get down with "Disney Disney", most Pixar is pretty cool though. But also, that sucks, a great thing with these music games is how you can bring your songs forward, but sounds like you're getting screwed unfortunately.

Also, I know you weren't asking me, but I'm here anyway. There was a deal on Newegg for 30 bucks off a spend over 70 bucks. They were flogging the 200GB cards for 47 or so which itself isn't half bad at all, but if you got two it was 94 and then 30 off brought it down to just under 32 each, steal.

If Fast RMX is something you think you'd really dig, just buy it. The game is a blast and can be replayed over and over. Was the first Switch game I bought actually, at like half past midnight when I got home with the thing in hand.

70 US Dollars

So I bought Celeste during the most recent sale on the eShop.  Yay! :D

Still hoping for a physical release at some point... but in the meantime, playing it on a console and TV (versus on my laptop like I did before) feels very right with this game.  Now I just need to find more time to actually play it.  :( 

On 11/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, look at it this way. The main appeal of the Switch isn't great prices - it's portability. If you don't care about playing games on the go, the only reason to own a Switch for a gamer who primarily plays on PS4, is the exclusive games. And if that is your category, why complain about the prices? Just play the handful of exclusives and move on. That's how I treat my Xbox One.

If you're going to criticize Nintendo for bad prices, you can make the same argument about PSN and Steam. Steam almost always has better prices than PSN, and the sales are more frequent and better. So why play on PS4? Nobody is playing on PS4 because it has the best game deals, because it doesn't.

Another way of looking at this: you mention that no other company keeps the prices high over time. In gaming, that may be true, but it's not true outside of gaming. Look at Apple. They charge more for their hardware. Nintendo is pretty similar in their approach (except the console itself is cheaper). Nintendo has found its niche, which is selling games that they consider a premium experience. And with how well the Switch is selling, why would they be motivated to cut their game prices?

Or you could be me, and buy almost every game at a premium cost for the physical media. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

13 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I think you were a kid during a period when Pixar had stolen Disney's limelight. I was 9 when Little Mermaid came out, and a young teen during the 90's "Golden Era" of Disney movies (Toy Story, Pixar's big break, didn't launch until 1995). But I also grew up watching the older Disney classics, like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Great Mouse Detective, etc. That being said, Disney has taken back some of their reputation in the past decade and given Pixar a run for their money with Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Frozen.

At some point Just Dance stopped selling individual songs as DLC, so now it's a 400+ growing collection of songs in a subscription service. It's $30 for a year of it so it's not insanely priced, and the base games still have like 40 songs so it's a decent collection without paying extra. But of course my daughter wants to dance to Let it Go, which is in the subscription service.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Next going to take on Elite Four in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!. Great game so far.

I've been playing it handheld lately and I think catching Pokémon is nicer and more accurate in handheld mode than in docked mode. But I noticed I'm completely missing out on the cute events where you're supposed to swing the Joy-Con sideways to prompt a special event with Pikachu! I realized this when I saw screenshots of Pikachu making the player a bouquet in a certain area in the game. I don't understand why they didn't include those in handheld mode. Now I feel I've been robbed of some of the magic.

Sorry for the double post, but recently, a friend of mine on a PSN chatroom was complaining about the Switch. He claims the Joy-Cons are crap and the Switch consoles have a 75% failure rate and is like the Xbox 360 and he claims news sites barely cover the hardware issues of the Switch. But somehow, I doubt his words. So I want to know if this is true or not.

6 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Sorry for the double post, but recently, a friend of mine on a PSN chatroom was complaining about the Switch. He claims the Joy-Cons are crap and the Switch consoles have a 75% failure rate and is like the Xbox 360 and he claims news sites barely cover the hardware issues of the Switch. But somehow, I doubt his words. So I want to know if this is true or not.

This sounds like unabashed fanboyism to me. If the Switch really did have a 75% failure rate, you'd better believe that this problem would be getting MASSIVE coverage. As a side note however, third-party docks have been known to brick the system, so keep it first-party when you're using your system in docked mode. 

Just now, darkamdusias said:

This sounds like unabashed fanboyism to me. If the Switch really did have a 75% failure rate, you'd better believe that this problem would be getting MASSIVE coverage. As a side note however, third-party docks have been known to brick the system, so keep it first-party when you're using your system in docked mode. 

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was a bit worried about what my friend said about the Switch. If the Switch did has a 75% failure rate, the news would be covering it and Nintendo would face a lawsuit regarding it. I'm glad that's not the case. I love my Nintendo Switch since I got it last year, but I need to focus on playing both my Switch and PS4. XD. Say, you don't mind if I screenshot this to help my friends in a PSN chatroom that people like you have helped disapprove my friend's fears of the Nintendo Switch's hardware problems?

Just now, MMX20 said:

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was a bit worried about what my friend said about the Switch. If the Switch did has a 75% failure rate, the news would be covering it and Nintendo would face a lawsuit regarding it. I'm glad that's not the case. I love my Nintendo Switch since I got it last year, but I need to focus on playing both my Switch and PS4. XD. Say, you don't mind if I screenshot this to help my friends in a PSN chatroom that people like you have helped disapprove my friend's fears of the Nintendo Switch's hardware problems?

I don't mind at all. Let me know if I can help with anything else. :)

On 11/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I think you were a kid during a period when Pixar had stolen Disney's limelight. I was 9 when Little Mermaid came out, and a young teen during the 90's "Golden Era" of Disney movies (Toy Story, Pixar's big break, didn't launch until 1995). But I also grew up watching the older Disney classics, like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Great Mouse Detective, etc. That being said, Disney has taken back some of their reputation in the past decade and given Pixar a run for their money with Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Frozen.

At some point Just Dance stopped selling individual songs as DLC, so now it's a 400+ growing collection of songs in a subscription service. It's $30 for a year of it so it's not insanely priced, and the base games still have like 40 songs so it's a decent collection without paying extra. But of course my daughter wants to dance to Let it Go, which is in the subscription service.

I remember watching a fair few of these things as a kid, but like, tbh, if I had to pick, I'd lean on the side of Dreamworks more than anyone else. Shark Tale, Flushed Away, Shrek 1&2 (and 3 wasn't tooooo bad), SINBAD, and so on. They were the shit. Mind you Toy Story, Monster's Inc. Incredibles, and so on were fantastic too, but then, as you said, that'd be Pixar stealing the limelight hey. 

God, if only Rock Band would do that. Guitar Hero admittedly did try, but that game and guitar was far to shit for it to be worth my time, but if Rock Band had a "give us 50 bucks a year and you can fuck around with whatever song you want" mode, I'd be spending 500 bucks every decade on that shit without fail.

Also, here's how you get me interested in Assassin's Creed. Or at least interested enough to give it a go.  http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/rumour_german_retailer_lists_assassins_creed_compilation_for_nintendo_switch

14 hours ago, MMX20 said:

If we wanna talk about failure rates, your PlayStation fanboy can explain this to me

I have 2 dead PS1s in my laundry right now. Worked fine when I last used them, both dead now.

I've had my PS2's power brick die, my PS2's lazer die twice, and my third and hopefully final PS2 now sits in the laundry.

I've had a couple of fatty PS3s die on me, my original slim weirdly stopped outputting in HDMI back in 2012 but I traded it anyway.

My launch PS4 shit itself a year or so back which is why I ended up with a Pro (kickass trade deal on the dead one)

My first PSP has a dodgy joystick that will drag unplayably bad at times, also the speakers have become weirdly distorted

My first Vita's touch screen shit itself, my second was returned in 3 days, my third was returned in 3 or 4 days all for the same faults.

Hell, I'll throw in a bonus point for the Xperia Play, I had one that lost cellular connectivity, another who's touch screen died, and my third one I fired up the other day for the first time in a while and it's lost cell connection too, and won't even update to Android 2.3.1 like it should, which is currently blocking my ability to get to the Google Play Store because Android Market is not a fucking thing anymore.

Meanwhile in Xbox land over the years I've had 2 OGs, 2 slim 360s, 2 fatty 360s, and an Xbox One, and not a single fault. 

Meanwhile in Nintendo land I've had a Game Boy, 2 GBCs, a GBA, GBA SP, GB Pocket, DS, N3DSXL, two 2DS's, a Wii, a Wii U, and a launch day Switch.

It's all anecdotal, sure, but like, literally the only problem I've had with any hardware, is with PlayStation hardware.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I remember watching a fair few of these things as a kid, but like, tbh, if I had to pick, I'd lean on the side of Dreamworks more than anyone else. Shark Tale, Flushed Away, Shrek 1&2 (and 3 wasn't tooooo bad), SINBAD, and so on. They were the shit. Mind you Toy Story, Monster's Inc. Incredibles, and so on were fantastic too, but then, as you said, that'd be Pixar stealing the limelight hey.

Shrek 1 was the first DVD I ever bought, as part of one of those Columbia House style subscription memberships. Years later I let me parents keep the DVD and I recently got the whole series collection on Blu-ray. I still haven't seen any of the sequels though... I'm waiting for my 4-year-old to grow up a bit. Currently she's going through a "don't like bad guys" in movies phase. She likes princesses and such, but as soon as a villain shows up, she wants to watch something else. A year ago she was fine with villains, but now she avoids them.

God, if only Rock Band would do that. Guitar Hero admittedly did try, but that game and guitar was far to shit for it to be worth my time, but if Rock Band had a "give us 50 bucks a year and you can fuck around with whatever song you want" mode, I'd be spending 500 bucks every decade on that shit without fail.

I started the 30-day trial of Just Dance Unlimited. On Switch it's only $25 a year and for the amount of songs it's not a bad deal if you like a few of those songs. Unfortunately, the songs always stream over the internet and the video quality occasionally gets pixelated before going back to HD. I'm assuming the service doesn't work at all when you don't have an internet connection. A next-level service would let you download the songs and avoid both problems.

Also, here's how you get me interested in Assassin's Creed. Or at least interested enough to give it a go.  http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/rumour_german_retailer_lists_assassins_creed_compilation_for_nintendo_switch

I like the series already, but if Switch got something like Black Flag, I'd definitely play it again on the go.

If we wanna talk about failure rates, your PlayStation fanboy can explain this to me

I have 2 dead PS1s in my laundry right now. Worked fine when I last used them, both dead now.

I've had my PS2's power brick die, my PS2's lazer die twice, and my third and hopefully final PS2 now sits in the laundry.

I've had a couple of fatty PS3s die on me, my original slim weirdly stopped outputting in HDMI back in 2012 but I traded it anyway.

My launch PS4 shit itself a year or so back which is why I ended up with a Pro (kickass trade deal on the dead one)

My first PSP has a dodgy joystick that will drag unplayably bad at times, also the speakers have become weirdly distorted

My first Vita's touch screen shit itself, my second was returned in 3 days, my third was returned in 3 or 4 days all for the same faults.

Hell, I'll throw in a bonus point for the Xperia Play, I had one that lost cellular connectivity, another who's touch screen died, and my third one I fired up the other day for the first time in a while and it's lost cell connection too, and won't even update to Android 2.3.1 like it should, which is currently blocking my ability to get to the Google Play Store because Android Market is not a fucking thing anymore.

Meanwhile in Xbox land over the years I've had 2 OGs, 2 slim 360s, 2 fatty 360s, and an Xbox One, and not a single fault. 

Meanwhile in Nintendo land I've had a Game Boy, 2 GBCs, a GBA, GBA SP, GB Pocket, DS, N3DSXL, two 2DS's, a Wii, a Wii U, and a launch day Switch.

It's all anecdotal, sure, but like, literally the only problem I've had with any hardware, is with PlayStation hardware.

I've only had minor problems with my systems, thankfully. My launch day PS4 occasionally acts like it's dead and doesn't want to turn on. Eventually it works after I unplug it and/or hold the power button enough times, but it makes me nervous. My Vita 2nd edition seems to have an issues with the rear touchscreen sometimes.

My biggest issue is with the 3DSXL (both original and New) scratching the top screen from the bottom plastic pushing into it while closed. It's happened to me with at least 3 of those damn things. I finally gave up worrying about it.

I think hardware failure is mostly caused by bad luck. The X360 had the infamous RRoD issue, yet plenty of owners never saw a problem.

In conclusion, don't believe everything you hear about defective hardware.