Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

11 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Pre-ordered Monster Hunter Rise from eShop yesterday. I hope we can name the Palico and Palamute companions. And I hope I won't suck and can actually advance in the game. :D

Still debating if I'll pick it up or not. My internet has issues reaching my room where I play the switch docked, and I'm not sure if SP only justifies the purchase for me. I'd need to hear more about it before deciding to jump in.

I could also play online in handheld mode, but I tried it with the demo and felt super cumbersome. Definitely made the game harder to control. It's the main reason why I never play SSBU online with friends and typically just stick to pokemon and Tetris 99 online.

Please let me know what you think about the SP experience. Maybe it'll be worthwhile after all.

• Like 1

Behold! The result of spending 2 hours in Monster Hunter Rise character creation. 

ce1494c1f61b95144bd8574a6c490dc888b18581.jpg

35f7b37151439c38b3e86a7f4e143e7bb6107710.jpg a50bcfc5db17975aa7127e639e5e1110990cb474.jpg

Named my Palico "Tahvo" (the same name I used for my cat in Story of Seasons on 3DS) and my Palamute "Canembert" (I like cheese - and puns). Went with a Dobermann look having owned two of them in the past. Tahvo's coloring looks similar to one of the cats I had. 

ce1e8034ba2c03c41a0f8ef364cbd136d7322b71

Apparently clearing the character creation is enough to get certified as a hunter. 

I haven't step foot outside the Kamura village yet but so far I'm very impressed with the vibrant visuals and style of the game. It's really charming. And who could not like encountering two Palico NPCs playing a huge drum - one of them named Badum and the other Tish.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 6:01 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Please let me know what you think about the SP experience. Maybe it'll be worthwhile after all.

After playing Monster Hunter Rise for the weekend I'm impressed with how fun the game is. Moving around is very fast and effortless with quick travel, Palamute riding and wirebug. Accept a quest, press one button and you're sent to the right location with about a 20 second load time. Quick travel within Kamura village and you're instantly in another spot. 

I've only played single player but soloed one of the easier multiplayer hub quests. I've been on two different maps so far and completed hunts for 5 large monsters. I went with hunting horn, briefly tried hammer and the combat feels challenging and fun. The game feels easier than the demo but I've only played 1 star and 2 star quests for now. Carted only twice so far (in Aknosom quest) but luckily cleared the quest before carting a third time. I'm looking forward to fighting more monsters! 

In addition to hunting quests there are quests for gathering items and also exploration quests with no time limit. I was surprised to find some kind of an old sword with a scroll attached to it high up in the Shrine Ruins so it's actually rewarding to search every nook and cranny on the maps. Apparently there are also "Rampage quests" where monsters invade the village and you need to defend it but I haven't seen those yet. 

Crafting cool weapons and armor from monster parts for yourself and buddies feels rewarding. There are blacksmiths in the village who do that for you and you can preview and compare the equipment before crafting. 

There are a lot of menus and systems in the game and it's not yet clear to me how to efficiently use items or set up things in the item bar. I still occasionally get buttons mixed up in the heat of the battle so there's a bit of a learning curve. There's a "photo mode" too, a camera you can use to capture photos of wildlife and to take selfies. 

The environments feel very alive and I feel everything is expertly designed with beautiful animations. NPCs do their own things and are not just statues standing around. Yesterday I saw the dango restaurant owner wiping a table clean and a Palico sitting on a bench sipping tea and finding it too hot. 

If you like some goofiness in games, Monster Hunter Rise has plenty of that. Almost died from laughter with my husband when I found the gestures menu and saw my Palico shadow boxing. When you go eat a meal, there's a funny cutscene. Sending out "meowcenaries" to look for materials... you get a cutscene of cats and dogs tied up onto kites flying off to the sky. 60 € is worth it for these little things alone. ? 

Oh, and I ordered the Monster Hunter Rise Pro Controller for Switch. I guess I'm a fan now.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

After playing Monster Hunter Rise for the weekend I'm impressed with how fun the game is. Moving around is very fast and effortless with quick travel, Palamute riding and wirebug. Accept a quest, press one button and you're sent to the right location with about a 20 second load time. Quick travel within Kamura village and you're instantly in another spot. 

I've only played single player but soloed one of the easier multiplayer hub quests. I've been on two different maps so far and completed hunts for 5 large monsters. I went with hunting horn, briefly tried hammer and the combat feels challenging and fun. The game feels easier than the demo but I've only played 1 star and 2 star quests for now. Carted only twice so far (in Aknosom quest) but luckily cleared the quest before carting a third time. I'm looking forward to fighting more monsters! 

In addition to hunting quests there are quests for gathering items and also exploration quests with no time limit. I was surprised to find some kind of an old sword with a scroll attached to it high up in the Shrine Ruins so it's actually rewarding to search every nook and cranny on the maps. Apparently there are also "Rampage quests" where monsters invade the village and you need to defend it but I haven't seen those yet. 

Crafting cool weapons and armor from monster parts for yourself and buddies feels rewarding. There are blacksmiths in the village who do that for you and you can preview and compare the equipment before crafting. 

There are a lot of menus and systems in the game and it's not yet clear to me how to efficiently use items or set up things in the item bar. I still occasionally get buttons mixed up in the heat of the battle so there's a bit of a learning curve. There's a "photo mode" too, a camera you can use to capture photos of wildlife and to take selfies. 

The environments feel very alive and I feel everything is expertly designed with beautiful animations. NPCs do their own things and are not just statues standing around. Yesterday I saw the dango restaurant owner wiping a table clean and a Palico sitting on a bench sipping tea and finding it too hot. 

If you like some goofiness in games, Monster Hunter Rise has plenty of that. Almost died from laughter with my husband when I found the gestures menu and saw my Palico shadow boxing. When you go eat a meal, there's a funny cutscene. Sending out "meowcenaries" to look for materials... you get a cutscene of cats and dogs tied up onto kites flying off to the sky. 60 € is worth it for these little things alone. 1f602.png 

Oh, and I ordered the Monster Hunter Rise Pro Controller for Switch. I guess I'm a fan now.

So there is a SP story to it separate from the MP? Is it just a bunch of quests or is there actually exploration, side characters, and such? Do you ever get AI partners?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Just trying to get a better idea of how SP works. I don't want it to feel like a live service game where it's a tiny SP and the primary focus is on MP.

I actually need to pick something up off amazon and was thinking about going ahead and grabbing this, but I'm still on the fence, haha.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

So there is a SP story to it separate from the MP? Is it just a bunch of quests or is there actually exploration, side characters, and such? Do you ever get AI partners?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Just trying to get a better idea of how SP works. I don't want it to feel like a live service game where it's a tiny SP and the primary focus is on MP.

I actually need to pick something up off amazon and was thinking about going ahead and grabbing this, but I'm still on the fence, haha.

Don't go into monster hunter thinking you're going to get a rich story experience as you'd expect from an RPG. The story is very much an afterthought. The enjoyable part of the game is the gameplay loop. Start with shitty amour/weapons and defeat a monster. Craft its gear to become stronger so you can take on stronger monsters etc. It's very much a grindy game and definitely not for everyone. Although Rise is very beginner friendly.

When it comes to quests you have village (SP) & hub (MP) quests. Village can only be done solo while hub can be done in MP or SP, these quests are harder than the singleplayer ones. Although they both feature the same monsters as far as i have played. As far as AIs, you have your two pets in this game that will help you on SP quests. 

Personally, while i would recommend trying out a monster hunter game since they are a lot of fun. You probably wont get that much out of it if you're just in it for a SP game. The game is a lot more fun if you play it with friends. It's also very much a live service game where more monsters/quests gets added over the course of the game's lifespan.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm not very far in the game and the story seems very light at this point. The "village quests" are single player content that progress the story and exploration can be freely done while on quests at any time. Nintendo Life's review summarized the story like this: "The story in Monster Hunter Rise is nothing to really write home about, and isn’t quite as involved as the plot present in Monster Hunter 4, or Monster Hunter: World. But what it loses in plot-value, it makes up for in style and tone. Even so, some may take issue with the fact that the narrative feels lighter and slightly tacked-on by comparison. In fact, it doesn’t take that long to hit the credits at all. We recorded around 15 hours of playtime before the staff names began to roll, but don’t be fooled. There are many, many more challenges after that, which (slightly confusingly) also drive the plot of the game forward.
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/monster_hunter_rise

You can take two AI partners (your animal "buddies") with you to all single player quests. I don't know yet if there will be other kind of AI partners. 

My guess is that the game has the main emphasis on the gameplay loop of hunting and improving your skills and equipment to move on to bigger and bigger challenges. I hear multiplayer is a great way to experience the hunts but apparently story progression is tied to single player. In a way this might be a "live service game" as there will probably be free updates coming (first one in April) to add more content. 

I was personally on the fence with MH Rise for a long time and haven't bought any of the earlier games (I've only played the spin-off Monster Hunter Stories prior to this) but I'm very glad I finally took the plunge and dipped my toes into Monster Hunter. I hear Rise should be a very beginner friendly way to get into the series.

24 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm not very far in the game and the story seems very light at this point. The "village quests" are single player content that progress the story and exploration can be freely done while on quests at any time. Nintendo Life's review summarized the story like this: "The story in Monster Hunter Rise is nothing to really write home about, and isn’t quite as involved as the plot present in Monster Hunter 4, or Monster Hunter: World. But what it loses in plot-value, it makes up for in style and tone. Even so, some may take issue with the fact that the narrative feels lighter and slightly tacked-on by comparison. In fact, it doesn’t take that long to hit the credits at all. We recorded around 15 hours of playtime before the staff names began to roll, but don’t be fooled. There are many, many more challenges after that, which (slightly confusingly) also drive the plot of the game forward.
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/monster_hunter_rise

You can take two AI partners (your animal "buddies") with you to all single player quests. I don't know yet if there will be other kind of AI partners. 

My guess is that the game has the main emphasis on the gameplay loop of hunting and improving your skills and equipment to move on to bigger and bigger challenges. I hear multiplayer is a great way to experience the hunts but apparently story progression is tied to single player. In a way this might be a "live service game" as there will probably be free updates coming (first one in April) to add more content. 

I was personally on the fence with MH Rise for a long time and haven't bought any of the earlier games (I've only played the spin-off Monster Hunter Stories prior to this) but I'm very glad I finally took the plunge and dipped my toes into Monster Hunter. I hear Rise should be a very beginner friendly way to get into the series.

My coworker was trying to convince me earlier to get it, and I saw a wifi repeater 50% off so I just said, "F--- it, let's give it a go!" Hopefully, the wifi repeater will fix my issues with my room having shotty wifi, and I don't have to be in in handheld mode in the living room to play.

He's trying to get a squad together of 4 to play with regularly, and told him that I'll join if he can accept me and my noob ass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crzy Minus said:

I love these games but also fuck you.

I feel bad for buying this collection, on one hand I have never played these 3 games and this was finally my chance to do so. But on the other I pretty much gave Nintendo the thumps up on releasing games for a limited time and that is just bullshit, I can only hope that Sony and Microsoft don't end up doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

Got my Monster Hunter Rise Pro Controller yesterday. The golden Magnamalo on the controller looks really nice and stylish in person, the photo doesn't really catch the nice color and shimmer of it.

5ddd663d72eca7e030e65c28e88ec40e4110eb41.jpg

It seems they've improved the D-pad on this one. It feels a lot better compared to a Pro Controller I got in 2017. The old controller's D-pad has a weird stiff, clunky and clicky feel to it - this new one feels soft and nice to press. I tested Puyo Puyo Tetris demo with it and I didn't notice any of the hard drop issues I had with my old Pro Controller (pressing left or right occasionally registered a press up). The old D-pad also made an audible sound on press and the new one is very quiet. Very happy with this MH Rise controller so far!

• Like 2

My copy of MHR came in yesterday and played it for a good while. I am really enjoying the game so far with the small experience I have. The wirebug system is so cool and being able to traverse huge maps is an absolute blast. I decided to go with the charge blade as  my main weapon since the weapon can do this crazy, whirly-gig, chainsaw attack that is pretty badass. I was thinking dual blades originally, but after I saw that animation, I was like, "I have to try this!" Haha. I also want to mention that the music in this game is sublime. I think this was the first thing I noticed when playing. The OST is just so good that I'll just run around the village just to listen to the tune. Definitely worth a listen if you are just a fan of video game music in general.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in playing online with me, hook me up on discord or let me know here and what your switch name is (assuming we are already friends), and I will keep a lookout for you when I'm online playing. If we aren't friends, well then, we need to add each other! :P (send me your code)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

My copy of MHR came in yesterday and played it for a good while. I am really enjoying the game so far with the small experience I have. The wirebug system is so cool and being able to traverse huge maps is an absolute blast. I decided to go with the charge blade as  my main weapon since the weapon can do this crazy, whirly-gig, chainsaw attack that is pretty badass. I was thinking dual blades originally, but after I saw that animation, I was like, "I have to try this!" Haha. I also want to mention that the music in this game is sublime. I think this was the first thing I noticed when playing. The OST is just so good that I'll just run around the village just to listen to the tune. Definitely worth a listen if you are just a fan of video game music in general.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in playing online with me, hook me up on discord or let me know here and what your switch name is (assuming we are already friends), and I will keep a lookout for you when I'm online playing. If we aren't friends, well then, we need to add each other! :P (send me your code)

Whew. I'm so glad you've liked the game so far. I was a bit worried you wouldn't like it after I had recommended it. 

I've been doing 4 star village quests and had my first rampage quest too. Rampage was pretty hectic and confusing.

Yesterday I was fighting Barioth (the cute sabretooth tiger creature) and I felt a little bad killing it. I saw how his teeth were smashed and he was limping, fighting for his life and I thought to myself "oh my god, what have I done" and felt terrible. I had been able to put these feelings aside fighting other monsters so far, but this one was a bit too much. :| 
The game has still been a lot of fun, I'm just hoping I won't encounter more of these moments of remorse. Maybe Monster Hunter Stories is a more fitting game for me after all. 

I totally agree on the music part. The Kamura Village theme is such an earworm and the different monsters' battle themes are so cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Whew. I'm so glad you've liked the game so far. I was a bit worried you wouldn't like it after I had recommended it. 

Don't worry. I trust your judgement! xD You haven't led me astray yet and I think we have pretty similar tastes. Plus, could always have blamed my coworker too who hyped it up for me a lot.

• Like 1

On 4-4-2021 at 8:09 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Good luck with the charge blade, it's probably the weapon with the most intricate combos. Also don't forget to talk to the arena dude in the hub as he'll give you extra movesets to use every once in a while. The music in the game is also pretty good, the old monsters got their usual themes but the flagship monster got a badass theme. So far my fav from the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

Good luck with the charge blade, it's probably the weapon with the most intricate combos. Also don't forget to talk to the arena dude in the hub as he'll give you extra movesets to use every once in a while. The music in the game is also pretty good, the old monsters got their usual themes but the flagship monster got a badass theme. So far my fav from the game.

Yeah, I learned that it's one of the more, "involved" classes from my friends. I don't regret my choice though. I plan to try out some of the other classes in high rank at some point (which I just got to high rank online), but will stick with charge blade for now. My friend luckily used it in MHW so he's been giving me tips here and there. xD

• Like 1

If I haven't really gotten into any Monster Hunters, and have a PS4 and a Switch, would anyone recommend World over Rise or visa versa?  Is Rise a good game in it's own right, or should I probably just go for World and Rise is like "Monster Hunter World-lite to give Switch owners a chance to join in the fun"?

36 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If I haven't really gotten into any Monster Hunters, and have a PS4 and a Switch, would anyone recommend World over Rise or visa versa?  Is Rise a good game in it's own right, or should I probably just go for World and Rise is like "Monster Hunter World-lite to give Switch owners a chance to join in the fun"?

I asked this same question to my friend (same situation as you), and this is pretty much what he told me:

MHW is a larger game and bigger in scale, but not by a huge degree. MHW focuses more on horizontal exploration while MHR focuses more on vertical exploration. Getting to the top in MP and finishing the SP is quicker on MHR, but the game is still in it's first month and more free content is already in the works so it's hard to compare MHW in its completed form with Iceborne since a lot of that was added at a later date.

Movement and gameplay is more fun in rise and this is the general consensus in reviews too. Being able to add a vertical tactic to the game makes it more approachable for noobs, but also adds a new skill to master for vets (which spoilers: they caught on quick). Rise seems to be a good starting point for newcomers, and I can definitely confirm that I haven't been too overwhelmed yet and I'm not dying every other match either.

Not sure if any of that was helpful, but I too would like to hear from others and see if others perspective too. I can definitely say it feels like a full game in its current state. 

• Like 2

Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition after putting over 100h into it, pretty much the only thing i've been playing during the last month.

Had a blast with it, I didn't think I would enjoy it that much. I'll definitely be playing xc2 eventually as well.

• Like 4

Saw the end credits of Monster Hunter Rise today after finishing all 4 star village quests and defeating Magnamalo. He managed to cart me once but otherwise it was a lot easier fight than I had anticipated. The Magnamalo in the demo was on a whole different level to this one.

Very nice game so far, I was very excited to find more relic records again today climbing and crawling into small gaps. Now I unlocked 5 star quests and will continue with them. Looking forward to fighting Magnamalo again too. ?

• Like 3

In case you want to cause some mayhem and enjoy clever videogame/pop culture references, Rain on Your Parade is out now on Switch. I finished it on PC via Game Pass yesterday and had a good time with it. Cleared all the levels but didn't complete all the challenges for each level yet. I think it was a well made game, didn't encounter any bugs or glitches (aside from Buggy the Bug, seen below) and it was a cute and entertaining product. There's also a New Game+ mode with additional challenges. 

b0355235b835e688b54666c764b613ced0fff7ff.jpg

As for future releases, I'm hoping we'll get the dungeon crawler Monster wo Taoshite Tsuyoi Ken ya Yoroi wo Te ni Shinasai. Shindemo Akiramezu ni Tsuyoku Narinasai. Yuusha Tai ga Maou wo Taosu Sono Hi wo Shinjiteimasu (yes that really is the name of the title) localized in the west. The character art style is right up my alley and gameplay looks similar to Etrian Odyssey. Just hoping I won't have to go ask for the game in a retail store... 

Monyuu_2021_03-26-21_002.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/mon-yu-13-minutes-of-gameplay-new-details

• Like 1