Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

The new model isn't bad in of itself, but it's not really that much of an improvement either, especially when the Vita had stuff like an OLED screen years prior. 

An Apple-esque move from Nintendo, for sure, so I can understand why people are disappointed. (Although I consider the Lite to be the more pointless revision, tbh)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The new model isn't bad in of itself, but it's not really that much of an improvement either, especially when the Vita had stuff like an OLED screen years prior. 

An Apple-esque move from Nintendo, for sure, so I can understand why people are disappointed. (Although I consider the Lite to be the more pointless revision, tbh)

my girlfriend actually like the light alot. its smaller and lighter (and also a bit cuter i guess^^) and just fits better in her hands. also the normal switch even with a proper backpack is kinda clunky and with the light its a bit easier.

• Like 4

I personally find the Lite to be a waste of money that goes against the very purpose and namesake of the console.

It's not bad or anything, per se, rather it just kind of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Was excited to see the trailer announcement of the new Switch model but after getting more info from the official site and other gaming sites, it's a bit disappointing but also a relief lol (I'm close to having my Switch for about 2 years). The features are quality of life that should have been on release to be honest and I was really hoping to get more of an upgrade to the Switch's performance as I'm noticing alot of games that I have played, struggling with frame drops and loading times.

We will see a "pro" later down the line which I'm looking forward to if it has those needed features most of us have been wanting but I do hope to get OLED model (if scalpers don't ruin everything) for my little boy for Christmas.

• Like 2

Any day those "Switch Pro" rumors don't happen, gamers are pissed. Those rumors started in 2018 but only picked up momentum in 2020 (wonder why). I've heard so many false rumors in so many areas of life that some rumor off a name that wouldn't even be named that (I'm sure Sony still owns the name) doesn't excite me. I'm a "believe it when I see it" man. I just want gaming "news" to be actual news and not speculation for once. No chance of that of course.

10 hours ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

my girlfriend actually like the light alot. its smaller and lighter (and also a bit cuter i guess^^) and just fits better in her hands. also the normal switch even with a proper backpack is kinda clunky and with the light its a bit easier.

Yeah, the Lite is ideal for playing handheld. It's significantly lighter in weight than the regular Switch and feels a bit sturdier without the detachable Joy-Cons. I use all the different ways to play Switch but would really prefer a Lite for handheld sessions in the evening. If they happen to release a nice looking limited edition Switch Lite I would probably get one. 

I was wondering why they didn't announce an OLED model of the Lite though, as the screen upgrade would have benefitted handheld players the most.

13 hours ago, Zephrese said:

I personally find the Lite to be a waste of money that goes against the very purpose and namesake of the console.

It's not bad or anything, per se, rather it just kind of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

i myself use a regular switch for almost 3 years now and my dock is still in its packaging. the only reason i use a regular over a light is because the lite didnt exist when i got it and the bigger screen
sure it defeats the purpose but most people i know barely use the purpose anyway

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Yeah, the Lite is ideal for playing handheld. It's significantly lighter in weight than the regular Switch and feels a bit sturdier without the detachable Joy-Cons. I use all the different ways to play Switch but would really prefer a Lite for handheld sessions in the evening. If they happen to release a nice looking limited edition Switch Lite I would probably get one. 

I was wondering why they didn't announce an OLED model of the Lite though, as the screen upgrade would have benefitted handheld players the most.

i think the lite is also still a buget option so a more expensive screen has limited use there. i mean i dont know if the normal oled switch will be more expensive but i could imagine that the margin on the light is smaller and theirfore an oled fits worse into the budget. but thats pure speculation
i think the pokemon swordshield variation of the switch light looks very good. i got that one thats for its looks. (and for my girlfriend to play animal crossing ^^)

Edited by Ich1994-1994
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

i myself use a regular switch for almost 3 years now and my dock is still in its packaging. the only reason i use a regular over a light is because the light didnt exist when i got it and the bigger screen
sure it defeats the purpose but most people i know barely use the purpose anyway

Fair enough, but it's also not my intention in saying what I have about the Lite in order to try and convince you - or anyone else who prefers/likes it, for that matter - otherwise.

I admittedly play my Switch more in handheld mode myself, but my wrists are bad and prone to hurt after a bit so I have to put it in the dock every now and then.

(That, and I usually dock my Switch if I'm in middle of playing a game and it has to charge, and some games like Monster Hunter are more comfortable to play while it's docked)

Edited by Zephrese

Just now, Zephrese said:

Fair enough, but I'm not trying to convince you otherwise either.

i am not trying to convince you. you have all the right to not use a lite^^ all i am saying is there is a target group that actually prefers it^^

• Like 1

Obviously some people prefer it, but I still think it was a rather pointless and cheap revision that's too expensive given how stripped down it is compared to the standard model.

Agree to disagree, I suppose, although I'm not sure why anyone would not be aware that certain people would prefer a dedicated handheld like the Lite either.

Like I said before, I don't necessarily think it's bad, I just have issues with it including Nintendo's overall execution and pricing.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Anyone got any solid 1st party or Switch exclusive indies - will have played many X-platform indies) I love my Switch, but found the last 1-2 years quite dry for 1st party releases. Many thanks if anyone can :)

Favourite Switch games are BOTW, Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing. Not typically a massive J-RPG fan (e.g. Xenoblade, Octopath) but am open-minded if there is a 'can't miss' one.

List of What I've Played:

Splatoon 2; Super Mario's Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3, GRIS (also on PS now and one of my favourite games), Subsurface Circular, Quarantine Circular, DOOM 1 & 2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

i myself use a regular switch for almost 3 years now and my dock is still in its packaging. the only reason i use a regular over a light is because the lite didnt exist when i got it and the bigger screen

i think the lite is also still a buget option so a more expensive screen has limited use there. i mean i dont know if the normal oled switch will be more expensive but i could imagine that the margin on the light is smaller and theirfore an oled fits worse into the budget. but thats pure speculation
i think the pokemon swordshield variation of the switch light looks very good. i got that one thats for its looks. (and for my girlfriend to play animal crossing ^^)

You're probably right that the Lite might be the budget version similar to what 2DS was in the 3DS family of consoles. 

Yeah, the Pokémon S/S edition Switch Lite looks great. My husband has that one. The color choices really pop and the details are sophisticated. 
I was hoping to get a white Animal Crossing themed Lite for myself as I own all the other Animal Crossing limited edition consoles (except the AC Happy Home Designer New 3DS).

5 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Anyone got any solid 1st party or Switch exclusive indies - will have played many X-platform indies) I love my Switch, but found the last 1-2 years quite dry for 1st party releases. Many thanks if anyone can :)

Favourite Switch games are BOTW, Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing. Not typically a massive J-RPG fan (e.g. Xenoblade, Octopath) but am open-minded if there is a 'can't miss' one.

Splatoon 2; Super Mario's Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3, GRIS (also on PS now and one of my favourite games), Subsurface Circular, Quarantine Circular, DOOM 1 & 2.

Baba Is You is one of the finest indies and exclusive to Switch and PC. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/baba-is-you-switch/ 
Golf Story is a quality indie only available on Switch. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/golf-story-switch/ 
Cadence of Hyrule is another one worth checking out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYqvSZGCEE 

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would have been my first recommendation (same goes for Octopath Traveler), but since you're not into JRPGs maybe someone else can find the recommendation useful. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-switch/ 
Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U and Switch and is a very good game. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bayonetta-2-switch/ 
Astral Chain from Platinum Games is another Switch exclusive I have in my bookshelf but haven't had time to start yet. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astral-chain-switch/ 

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a good strategy RPG exclusive to Switch. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fire-emblem-three-houses-switch/ 

Would recommend Ruiner as well if you haven't played it yet. It's available on Switch, PS4, Xbox One and PC. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ruiner-switch/ 

There are many great 3rd party exclusives/console exclusives too like Monster Hunter Rise, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom BattlePart Time UFO, Senran Kagura Peach Ball (not worth full price though IMO, lacking content), Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, etc.

Edited by Eyjabria
Added Mario + Rabbids
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Platinum games have always been good for some action so maybe Astral Chain or Bayonetta 2? I haven't personally played them, but a good friend of mine both said they were really solid.

Personally though, I would recommend Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. It's not as good as BoTW (hard to beat, haha), but I enjoyed the 10-15 hours it took me to beat it and I was nowhere near 100%. The story is really neat and the whole world in general is charming.

If you have NSO, I would HIGHLY recommend Monster Hunter Rise. It was my first game in the series, and I've had it since release and it's now my second most played game. Sure, some of the missions are a bit repetitive, but interacting with others, doing goofy stuff while hunting, testing out different weapons, etc. makes it feel fresh and new every time.

Looks like @Eyjabria got you covered though. I would recommend Fire Emblem 3 Houses, but it's a SRPG which definitely is not for everyone. Super ambitious game, great story, and wonderfully executed, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

The more videos of Pokemon Unite I watch... the more fun it looks honestly.

I'm considering trying it out once it finally comes out.

The problem is... me and competitive games... don't get along. AT ALL.

I'm hoping it's a game I can actually play casually without getting frustrated constantly (like when I tried to play and eventually ended up dropping Pokken TWICE)

Personally though... I doubt it. ?

But I can at least give it a try. I guess.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 1:08 PM, Eyjabria said:

Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U and Switch and is a very good game. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bayonetta-2-switch/ 

Astral Chain from Platinum Games is another Switch exclusive I have in my bookshelf but haven't had time to start yet. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astral-chain-switch/

Thank you! I absolutely loved NieR: Automata so I'll check out these two (and your other recommendations, ofc.)

• Like 1

Just dropping in to report I finally did it. I completed 100% of the side quests in Octopath Traveler last night! 

197ce167144a1d0c8d4fa9ad9d01462275d54155.jpg

The last one left for me was "At Journey's End" which has the real final boss battle. I had failed the fight several times, not even surviving the first phase. Really wasn't expecting such a difficulty jump after the 8 boss boss rush leading to the final fight had been such a cakewalk. I had to look up a guide for a good job class / support skill setup. Now the game's title screen sports a nice crown above the Octopath Traveler logo. 

0b4758ad792ed562be2289786216d9d7f5c18e7a.jpg

Took me 142 hours. It was totally worth it seeing all the amazing lore and events that all played a part in the grander story. 
Anyone who says the story is disappointing or that the eight playable characters’ stories don’t connect in any meaningful way clearly haven’t actually finished the game. 

Starting the game with the hunter H’aanit and her loyal snow leopard partner Linde in the peaceful forest village of S’warkii really didn’t prepare me into what an epic ride I was in for. 
Octopath Traveler is definitely in a tied first place for my favorite Switch games, the other being Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Now I can start Monster Hunter Stories 2 with a peace of mind. But I am now met with a new first world problem: I'd like to play on my own ACNH Switch but my Monster Hunter Rise save file is on our "dock Switch" and having a MH Rise save file gives me bonus stuff for MH Stories. Hmm.. what to do. I live such a hard life.

• Like 4

I am debating whether I'll get Shin Megami Tensei V. At first I was really excited for it, and the last Direct made it look pretty cool to me. But I recently played a bit of SMT IV on 3DS, and I think Persona rather than SMT is the ideal series for me. I like the character development of the main character and their friends in the Persona series (I've played 3-5, not 1 and 2 yet), and with SMT IV I feel empty without my buddies. There actually are companions in that game but the team and friendship aspect isn't nearly as much of an emphasis. From the little I know of the first 2 Persona games, that aspect isn't nearly as developed there, so maybe I'm really just into the P 3-5 style.

In other Switch news, my 7-year-old kid has a 2DS and has dabbled with a few games including BoxBoy. We'll try the co-op levels in BoxBoy+BoxGirl together. IIRC, I played them solo when the game first released. I love that series, and hopefully we don't have to wait too long for a 5th one (or a new simple platformer series from the same team, if they feel BoxBoy has run its course).

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I am debating whether I'll get Shin Megami Tensei V. At first I was really excited for it, and the last Direct made it look pretty cool to me. But I recently played a bit of SMT IV on 3DS, and I think Persona rather than SMT is the ideal series for me. I like the character development of the main character and their friends in the Persona series (I've played 3-5, not 1 and 2 yet), and with SMT IV I feel empty without my buddies. There actually are companions in that game but the team and friendship aspect isn't nearly as much of an emphasis. From the little I know of the first 2 Persona games, that aspect isn't nearly as developed there, so maybe I'm really just into the P 3-5 style.

In other Switch news, my 7-year-old kid has a 2DS and has dabbled with a few games including BoxBoy. We'll try the co-op levels in BoxBoy+BoxGirl together. IIRC, I played them solo when the game first released. I love that series, and hopefully we don't have to wait too long for a 5th one (or a new simple platformer series from the same team, if they feel BoxBoy has run its course).

I have a couple of SMT games on 3DS but haven't gotten around to starting any of them. SMT V looks good and I might get a physical copy. 

Have you played Persona Q and Persona Q2 already? Both are great games with plenty of fun interaction between the Persona cast. The sub-persona system makes battles a lot more interesting than the mainline Persona series IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I have a couple of SMT games on 3DS but haven't gotten around to starting any of them. SMT V looks good and I might get a physical copy. 

Have you played Persona Q and Persona Q2 already? Both are great games with plenty of fun interaction between the Persona cast. The sub-persona system makes battles a lot more interesting than the mainline Persona series IMO.

I started the first Persona Q and got distracted by other games. I'll get back to it eventually. I liked the interaction but I definitely prefer Persona 3/4/5 to the dungeon-crawling there. That genre has never appealed to me.

I also have Q2 in my backlog, but I'll finish Q first.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Eyjabria said:

Just dropping in to report I finally did it. I completed 100% of the side quests in Octopath Traveler last night! 

197ce167144a1d0c8d4fa9ad9d01462275d54155.jpg

The last one left for me was "At Journey's End" which has the real final boss battle. I had failed the fight several times, not even surviving the first phase. Really wasn't expecting such a difficulty jump after the 8 boss boss rush leading to the final fight had been such a cakewalk. I had to look up a guide for a good job class / support skill setup. Now the game's title screen sports a nice crown above the Octopath Traveler logo. 

0b4758ad792ed562be2289786216d9d7f5c18e7a.jpg

Took me 142 hours. It was totally worth it seeing all the amazing lore and events that all played a part in the grander story. 
Anyone who says the story is disappointing or that the eight playable characters’ stories don’t connect in any meaningful way clearly haven’t actually finished the game. 

Starting the game with the hunter H’aanit and her loyal snow leopard partner Linde in the peaceful forest village of S’warkii really didn’t prepare me into what an epic ride I was in for. 
Octopath Traveler is definitely in a tied first place for my favorite Switch games, the other being Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Now I can start Monster Hunter Stories 2 with a peace of mind. But I am now met with a new first world problem: I'd like to play on my own ACNH Switch but my Monster Hunter Rise save file is on our "dock Switch" and having a MH Rise save file gives me bonus stuff for MH Stories. Hmm.. what to do. I live such a hard life.

Oh man, congrats on fully clearing it!! Octopath was my very first switch game and I made it my goal to see it to the end (I think I took around the exact same time as you too haha)! Absolutely adored the game and its beautiful world and artsyle. Totally worth the completion - great, challenging superboss!

I just started Stories 2 as well! The save bonus for Rise is just a Kamura layered armour set for your MC, so I'd only worry about it if you just really love that set! That said, you can transfer save files between two Switches locally from the home menu under "Data management" - so if you use the same account on both consoles, you can just send your Rise save to the switch you want to play Stories 2 on!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrBenosaurus said:

Oh man, congrats on fully clearing it!! Octopath was my very first switch game and I made it my goal to see it to the end (I think I took around the exact same time as you too haha)! Absolutely adored the game and its beautiful world and artsyle. Totally worth the completion - great, challenging superboss!

I just started Stories 2 as well! The save bonus for Rise is just a Kamura layered armour set for your MC, so I'd only worry about it if you just really love that set! That said, you can transfer save files between two Switches locally from the home menu under "Data management" - so if you use the same account on both consoles, you can just send your Rise save to the switch you want to play Stories 2 on!

I put Octopath on hold for some months after miserably failing in the final boss a few times. I returned to it after playing some other games and took the challenge again after leveling my other team. Didn't realize I'd be needing all 8 characters on my first try so some were underleveled and without any proper equipment. It felt so good to finally get my revenge against the boss, haha. The battle was nerve-racking! I think the ending for the story was sheer brilliance when you think back and connect all the dots in your mind. 
The soundtrack is just divine and I'll probably never forget the first moments starting the game in S'warkii. The combination of the visuals and music was quite an experience even for a battle-hardened old-time gamer like me. I remember hanging around in the forest village for a long time and just staring at the light filtering through the trees. 

I started MH Stories 2 on our dock Switch and I've actually used the Kamura armor for some time as it looks really nice. I've enjoyed the game a lot so far and I noticed having taken dozens of screenshots already, despite having played it only for about 12 hours. 

I didn't even realize save data can be transferred that way between consoles, thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 3:05 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I'd recommend that you check out SMT: Strange Journey on the DS or the 3DS remaster as the game is more focused on story and character-development compared to the "gameplay first, story second" nature of the other games in the series. 

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2 are also great choices if you're going after story and characters since they were the most story-driven ones of the PS2 era. 

• Like 2