Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

32 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Looping back to a different current subject: I'm definitely buying Kirby and Yoshi, no matter how big my backlog is.

I am right there with you. I started playing Kirby Triple Deluxe on my 3DS a few weeks ago, and it's a lot of fun.

Also, I got my Power Moons count up to a bit over 450. Woo! I almost have the wedding dress unlocked.

Well, I have enough Power Moons to buy all the costumes now, and I unlocked the final location.

Spoiler

Darker Side is no joke though! Jesus, that platforming gauntlet made me rage quit after about a few dozen tries. I looked at a guide online and I was only about halfway though. Damn. I'd like to finish it so I can put the game away for the moment (don't get me wrong, searching for the hundreds of remaining Power Moons is fun, but the motivation is gone now that I have access to all the costumes). But I think it may be beyond my skills.

I started playing LEGO Ninjago Movie The Game and it's fun so far. I mostly played it in Docked Mode, where I noticed a weird quirk. When taking it out of the dock recently with the game paused, it still wanted to use the Pro Controller, and didn't enable the Joy-cons in game (although they were working on the Switch Home Screen). I had to pull up the controllers menu and disconnect the Pro to get them working.

Also, I encountered a weird issue last night. I had been playing Breath of the Wild in Handheld Mode, and I paused it for an hour or so. When I woke it back up, the right Joy-con was disconnected, and it acted like it was dead. I tried taking it off the Switch and putting it back on, and that didn't work, nor did pressing the sync button while it was off the Switch. Putting the Switch in the dock did not bring it back either. I eventually fixed it by going to the pairing menu, and that finally worked. Before that, none of the buttons would wake it up. Weird.

23 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Am I the only one that has gotten all the moon from all Kingdoms?

I even got all the purple coins from all kingdoms....

The Art....

I basically 100% it o.o

You sir, have my respect. I know I will never get to that point. Some of the Koopa races and hatless challenges are too frustrating for me to power through.

Basically my end-game goal was:

1. Get enough purple coins to buy all kingdom-specific costumes

2. Get enough power moons to unlock all costumes

3. Unlock the final kingdom and complete it

I got 2.5 of my goals done - I unlocked the final kingdom but I don't think I'll be able to complete it.

Also, as much as I love SMO, I always need motivation to keep me playing a game beyond the core story. Lately, trophies and completion percentages haven't been doing it. Something tangible, like SMO costumes, works better for me.

Anyway, I never finished SM Galaxy and haven't started Galaxy 2, so I'd rather go and play those than get 100% completion in SMO. I still feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth from SMO - I played it for more than 40 hours. It's one of my favorite Mario games to date. But I have too many games I haven't finished or even started to 100% every game. I didn't try to collect anywhere near all 900 Korok Seeds in Zelda BotW either, even though I loved the game.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I need to get back and finish Mario at some stage. Currently playing I am Setsuna but I do want to go back and unlock all the moons and coins. I have done half the kingdoms so far up to Metro Kingdom. You are right @MosesRockefeller I tried that last level and it certainly is a monster. I'm not looking forward to giving it a proper go. :o

Absolutely loving Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It is a bit of a shame that the handheld mode looks absolutely god awful. It's time to finally buy a Pro controller and enjoy a docked only experience with this game, my friends. I don't even know how Monolithsoft released the game with the handheld mode in such a poor state. Here's hoping that updates can improve on it, as well as performance for docked, since it dips to low 20fps in certain areas fairly frequently.

Performance issues aside, it is the most fun I've had on the Switch so far, and I was finally able to order a XC2 edition Pro controller. Dunno how common they are in America, but they're extremely limited in Canada. Took me 2 days of constantly refreshing Best Buy to finally get a stock update (only 2).

A video that potential buyers need to watch before they purchase the game. Seriously, if you're a handheld only player, you need to be extremely careful.

21 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Absolutely loving Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It is a bit of a shame that the handheld mode looks absolutely god awful. It's time to finally buy a Pro controller and enjoy a docked only experience with this game, my friends. I don't even know how Monolithsoft released the game with the handheld mode in such a poor state. Here's hoping that updates can improve on it, as well as performance for docked, since it dips to low 20fps in certain areas fairly frequently.

Performance issues aside, it is the most fun I've had on the Switch so far, and I was finally able to order a XC2 edition Pro controller. Dunno how common they are in America, but they're extremely limited in Canada. Took me 2 days of constantly refreshing Best Buy to finally get a stock update (only 2).

A video that potential buyers need to watch before they purchase the game. Seriously, if you're a handheld only player, you need to be extremely careful.

Thanks for the update. I play in both modes but I prefer handheld. As a potential buyer of XC2, can you tell me if you played XC1 on New 3DS? If so, is the performance there worse or better than XC2 in handheld mode? I apologize if this is covered by the video; I'm at work so I can't watch it yet. I haven't played XC1 myself, but from what I understand, the New 3DS version performs pretty well.

Also, big news from Capcom today; all 10 Mega Man games (plus the just-announced upcoming MM11) and all 8 Mega Man X games are coming to Switch: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/4/16734768/mega-man-legacy-collection-nintendo-switch-release-date

I have the first Legacy Collection on 3DS, so I'll probably just buy Legacy Collection 2 on Switch (I'm glad I held off on buying it for PS4 - I was hoping it would come to Switch). I own 9 and 10 on PS3 (for free) via PS+ but I only played a few minutes of 9 back when it first came to PS+. I may buy both Collections if there is a bundle deal. I'll probably also grab the X collection since I generally prefer SNES era games to NES era games. Also, I wonder if the Mega Man amiibo will be re-released or given a new version to go with this big Mega Man push on Switch?

Now we just need the Disney Afternoon Collection. Is it weird that Capcom is giving the Switch so much love? It reminds me of the Gamecube days (which I experienced after the fact), but in any case, it's good to get some of their good games from the past. Even if they don't bring RE7, there's no reason Capcom couldn't release the recent HD versions of RE1, 0, and 4, and PS3/X360 ports of 5 and 6. Maybe decent sales would convince them to include Switch as a platform for the supposedly upcoming RE2 HD?

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Just now, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the update. I play in both modes but I prefer handheld. As a potential buyer of XC2, can you tell me if you played XC1 on New 3DS? If so, is the performance there worse or better than XC2 in handheld mode? I apologize if this is covered by the video; I'm at work so I can't watch it yet.

I have played Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It's hard to compare the two, but if you were able to get past how badly it looked on the N3DS, then XC2 is still better looking than it. But honestly... not by much. Digital Foundry stated it's the worst handheld version of a Switch game to date, and I honestly can't agree more, it's downright hideous. I couldn't recommend the game for someone that's playing in handheld. You won't want to, except when you're farming things, then it won't matter much because visual fidelity isn't important then.

You'll see once you see the video though, it's really bad. If you're getting it, trust me, you'll stick to docked damn near 100% of the time.

Yaay!  The Mega Man Legacy Collections (plus the X collection announced today) will be coming to the Switch.  My plan to turn my Switch into a Switch exclusive and retro game machine (and indies that look retro; like Axiom Verge which I picked up this weekend) is coming along swimmingly.

Hopefully that includes a physical retail release. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You sir, have my respect. I know I will never get to that point. Some of the Koopa races and hatless challenges are too frustrating for me to power through.

Basically my end-game goal was:

1. Get enough purple coins to buy all kingdom-specific costumes

2. Get enough power moons to unlock all costumes

3. Unlock the final kingdom and complete it

I got 2.5 of my goals done - I unlocked the final kingdom but I don't think I'll be able to complete it.

Also, as much as I love SMO, I always need motivation to keep me playing a game beyond the core story. Lately, trophies and completion percentages haven't been doing it. Something tangible, like SMO costumes, works better for me.

Anyway, I never finished SM Galaxy and haven't started Galaxy 2, so I'd rather go and play those than get 100% completion in SMO. I still feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth from SMO - I played it for more than 40 hours. It's one of my favorite Mario games to date. But I have too many games I haven't finished or even started to 100% every game. I didn't try to collect anywhere near all 900 Korok Seeds in Zelda BotW either, even though I loved the game.

I loved SMO so much that I did that xD

All I need is like 150 more moons for 999 but the rest has to be bought :P

Heehee :)

29 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yaay!  The Mega Man Legacy Collections (plus the X collection announced today) will be coming to the Switch.  My plan to turn my Switch into a Switch exclusive and retro game machine (and indies that look retro; like Axiom Verge which I picked up this weekend) is coming along swimmingly.

Haven't watched the stream.

Does any of this include the SNES game Mega Man X? That's the only Mega Man game I played. Really loved it though.

8 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Haven't watched the stream.

Does any of this include the SNES game Mega Man X? That's the only Mega Man game I played. Really loved it though.

I would assume the Mega Man X collection would.

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-reveals-mega-man-x-collection-adds-switch-to-lineup-476123.phtml

The two Legacy Collections (already out on other platforms, coming to Switch next year)... include Mega Man 1-10.

Edited by Dreakon13

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I would assume the Mega Man X collection would.

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-reveals-mega-man-x-collection-adds-switch-to-lineup-476123.phtml

The two Legacy Collections (already out on other platforms, coming to Switch next year)... include Mega Man 1-10.

Well, it's all confusing and I don't know these days. I was recently told that Mega Man X and Mega Man 10 were not the same thing. I've also seen 'classic' collections that for whatever reason didn't include the first couple of games. Like Hitman "Trilogy" being a collection of Hitman games 2, 3 and 4. So I didn't want to assume anything about Mega Man X coming to the Switch until I was explicitly told what the deal was.

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

Well, it's all confusing and I don't know these days. I was recently told that Mega Man X and Mega Man 10 were not the same thing. I've also seen 'classic' collections that for whatever reason didn't include the first couple of games. Like Hitman "Trilogy" being a collection of Hitman games 2, 3 and 4. So I didn't want to assume anything about Mega Man X coming to the Switch until I was explicitly told what the deal was.

Yeah, it can be confusing. I think I was the one who told you about Mega Man X and 10. Anywho, Hitman 1 was a PC exclusive, and it was pretty different from 2+, so nobody would ever port that game. Several of the missions were upgraded to "normal" Hitman gameplay and included in Hitman 3 anyway. 

For Mega Man, the classic series is 1-8, where 1-6 were on NES, and 9 and 10 being on PS3/X360 but in retro 8-bit style. Mega Man X was a SNES series, with 7 sequels (X2 - X8). In both series, some of the later games were on other platforms, like PS1.

Anyway, you might want to just get the X collection, since that's 16-bit style. 

• Like 1

I have nothing new in Switch to say really, I got GearClub in the mail, that's about it.

I did finish Arms off the other day while pooping though. Fun enough game, but it should have been like 20 bucks at launch, not a full RRP. I get and support their strategy of a new AAA release every / other month for a while there, I get it, but like, Arms is not a full size game. One could argue Splatoon isn't either, and I'd be hard to find any points otherwise, but if Splatoon is two thirds of a game, Arms is about a quarter of a game. Still fun enough though, but I have no desire to jump back in. Glad it was a rental, because anything more than 20 on this game would have been a waste tbh. 

Well, I finally played some Stardew Valley this morning while my wife was driving and that hour of playtime put me on 40+ hours spent in the game.

It's weird how such a little game provides so many gaming hours.

There seems to be an official Harvest Moon game coming to the Switch but at this point I don't know if I need one, Stardew Valley probably is enough (and better).

10 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, it can be confusing. I think I was the one who told you about Mega Man X and 10. Anywho, Hitman 1 was a PC exclusive, and it was pretty different from 2+, so nobody would ever port that game. Several of the missions were upgraded to "normal" Hitman gameplay and included in Hitman 3 anyway. 

For Mega Man, the classic series is 1-8, where 1-6 were on NES, and 9 and 10 being on PS3/X360 but in retro 8-bit style. Mega Man X was a SNES series, with 7 sequels (X2 - X8). In both series, some of the later games were on other platforms, like PS1.

Anyway, you might want to just get the X collection, since that's 16-bit style. 

Apparently, a Mega Man 11 was announced as well. Looks good.

Apparently it's all of the X series that is coming to consoles now, so apparently soon every single main Mega Man game will be playable on one console, Mega Man 1-11 and Mega Man X1-X8.

18 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I have played Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It's hard to compare the two, but if you were able to get past how badly it looked on the N3DS, then XC2 is still better looking than it. But honestly... not by much. Digital Foundry stated it's the worst handheld version of a Switch game to date, and I honestly can't agree more, it's downright hideous. I couldn't recommend the game for someone that's playing in handheld. You won't want to, except when you're farming things, then it won't matter much because visual fidelity isn't important then.

You'll see once you see the video though, it's really bad. If you're getting it, trust me, you'll stick to docked damn near 100% of the time.

I watched a bit of the video, and I also played a few minutes of XC 3D (I own it but never got around to playing it). I don't mind the appearance of XC 3D, but it's hard to judge the video of XC2 since they only show handheld mode for a short time, from what I could tell. I skipped around the video but it seemed like they spent most of their time on docked mode. Anyway, I don't mind sub-HD visuals, especially on a handheld screen. The weird thing for me I think would be the transition in XC 2 between handheld and docked.

Since I haven't played XC 1 or 3D yet, I'll probably play 3D now and get XC 2 in the future. I'm not sure how much further optimization can be done for handheld mode... I suspect it won't get much better. But it can't hurt to wait for a few patches regardless.

Also, I finally started playing Death Squared, and it's a lot of fun! I think @Cubone recommended it. I see it being mentioned as a good "gateway game" for non-gamers and I think it's true. I will try to get my wife to play for a couple of levels.

34 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, I finally started playing Death Squared, and it's a lot of fun! I think @Cubone recommended it. I see it being mentioned as a good "gateway game" for non-gamers and I think it's true. I will try to get my wife to play for a couple of levels.

I definitely recommend it, though I think as a "gateway game" something like Snipperclips would be better.

WWE 2K18 is out tomorrow on the Switch. My wallet is going to need a little more notice than that TakeTwo ? In all seriousness, I'm loving that these games are getting released in the time window as promised. All we knew beforehand was that it was getting released Winter 2017. I honestly thought there was going to be a delay. 

In other news, I am going to get a SD card for my Switch. Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this, but if I get any SD card, will it work for my Switch or do I need a Switch-specific SD card?

4 minutes ago, Gengar said:

In other news, I am going to get a SD card for my Switch. Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this, but if I get any SD card, will it work for my Switch or do I need a Switch-specific SD card?

Don't need a Switch specific,just make sure it's a quality one and one which writes/reads fast enough.

I've got a 128GB one from SanDisk, from the Ultra line. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Don't need a Switch specific,just make sure it's a quality one and one which writes/reads fast enough.

I've got a 128GB one from SanDisk, from the Ultra line. Works like a charm.

16 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Yup. I have one as well. Works beautiful. Does update so it can be used and your good to go :)