Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 12.11.2017 at 9:28 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Are you using the GC to Wii U adapter, or a Mayflash? Because my Mayflash is playing everything I throw at it, but I can't comment on the GC adapter.

I've read a bit about this adapter now and unfortunately you seem to need one adapter per controller, is that correct? It would still be cheaper than getting Pro Controllers, but 35€ per controller (plus a USB hub, probably) is a lot. (35€ is more or less what a 3DS game costs here and a little over half the price of a Pro Controller).

Or did I only find a less capable version of what you were talking about?

So... I currently have Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Breath of the Wild on my Switch.

Not that these games aren't enough, but out of curiosity what other Switch console-exclusive games (present and future) would you all recommend be looked into?  Can't be like Skyrim or LA Noire, I'm reserving the higher end multiplatform games for my PS4 or Xbox One.  Preferably games with physical cartridge releases.

Hollow Knight is a given (perhaps even if its digital only).  Owlboy is a given (I think Switch was the only confirmed console so far, but IMO it's got that retro vibe that belongs on a Nintendo console either way).  Anything Limited Run Games puts out, excluding the games that just don't interest me whatsoever.  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks cool, on the fence.  And I'll definitely be in on whatever Smash Bros variant comes out in the coming years.  Think I might do Axiom Verge on the Switch too (see Owlboy's reason).

Anything else?

Edited by Dreakon13

24 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

So... I currently have Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Breath of the Wild on my Switch.

Not that these games aren't enough, but out of curiosity what other Switch console-exclusive games (present and future) would you all recommend be looked into?  Can't be like Skyrim or LA Noire, I'm reserving the higher end multiplatform games for my PS4 or Xbox One.  Preferably games with physical cartridge releases.

Hollow Knight is a given (perhaps even if its digital only).  Owlboy is a given (I think Switch was the only confirmed console so far, but IMO it's got that retro vibe that belongs on a Nintendo console either way).  Anything Limited Run Games puts out, excluding the games that just don't interest me whatsoever.  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks cool, on the fence.  And I'll definitely be in on whatever Smash Bros variant comes out in the coming years.  Think I might do Axiom Verge on the Switch too (see Owlboy's reason).

Anything else?

Regarding exclusives, please look into if Golf Story might be for you. Mario+Rabbids has been received pretty well too. I didn't really get into Blaster Master Zero but MetroidVania fans seem to like it. Fast RMX is an awesome racing game.

Like Axiom Verge, there are more 'graphics-light' games wherr the Switch version is exactly as good as the PS4 version (plus, portable!) like Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Anything else?

I held off on Super Bomberman R so far because it was too pricey for me, but I'm getting it during the Black Friday sale. Best Buy has it for $25 (possibly less with the Gamers Club Discount; it's unconfirmed if it applies during the sale) starting on November 23. I just read a review of the game again and read about all the updates the game has gotten post-release (it just got another one today). All of that convinced me to jump on it for $25. It may not be for you; in fact it may not be worth $25 for me. But I'm getting it because it looks fun and I like the way it's been supported after release.

I second the recommendation for Mario+Rabbids; it's a very cool, charming game. Sadly it doesn't seem to be in any of the Black Friday sales, but I think it's worth it even at full price.

I'll be grabbing Owlboy also, and probably Hollow Knight. If you don't mind digital-only releases, I'd also recommend Nintendo/PC/Mobile exclusives World of Goo, Picross S, and Human Resource Machine.

55 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I wonder if Shovel Knight will get a physical release on the Switch at some point.

It got a physical release on Wii U, 3DS, and PS4, so I'd say there's a good chance of it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Fuck.

I just bought a PS VR.

God damn Christmas sales.

God damn 10% off code for family and friends
God damn impulse buys at quarter to midnight

God damn everything but my own inability to control my purchases.

Anyway, moral of the story is, I haven't touched my PS4 since like mid-October, same may happen to the Switch when the PSVR comes in the mail.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

11 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Fuck.

I just bought a PS VR.

Anyway, moral of the story is, I haven't touched my PS4 since like mid-October, same may happen to the Switch when the PSVR comes in the mail.

PSVR is cool and I'll get a set again if the price and time is right.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Fuck.

I just bought a PS VR.

Well, look at it this way. If you go through PSVR games anywhere close to the speed you've rolled through Switch games, you'll have exhausted its entire library in a few months (and let's be honest, how much longer is the PSVR going to get games before Sony stops marketing it?). At that time you can bounce back to the Switch and you'll have a few more AAA games and another 100-200 indie games to go through. :)

And that's if you even shelve the Switch, which seems unlikely. You can't play the PSVR at work or on your commute, after all.

Take my dismissal of the PSVR with a grain of salt. I have zero interest in VR. But I think my point about the Switch stands, it provides an experience you can't get with any other console (so does the PSVR, but it doesn't interest me, and as we've already established, we both like the unique features of the Switch).

Anywho, I just got to what seems to be the final story world, in Super Mario Odyssey. I'm really loving the game, and I'm having a lot of fun getting new costumes for Mario.

Also, I saw that the Search feature in the eShop now has a "Demo" filter so you can see all the games with demos. Pretty cool. I've tried a few out recently. I suck at fighting games and typically avoid them, but Pokken Tournament DX seemed really solid from the demo. I could see myself getting that if it's ever on a big sale.

8 hours ago, Cubone said:

PSVR is cool and I'll get a set again if the price and time is right.

PSVR is RRP 550. 

PS4 camera is 90 RRP.

Skyrim just dropped at 100 RRP.

That VR Move Worlds game or whatever is 40 RRP.

So that there is 780. Now, realistically Skyrim is on sale everywhere for around 60 as usual, but we'll ignore that to pretend I got more value.

I got all of those things in a bundle, and after 10 bucks for delivery and a family and friends discount code for 10% off, I got it for the total of 333 bones. I'm intending to sell the two games to for 50 odd, which seems pretty damn fair to me, that brings it all down to 280. So the whole total was 780, then when I ditch the two games I don't care about, it drops to 280, so basically, in effect, I've saved 500 depending on which side of Dylan's bullshit I want to look at. 280 AUD is basically 2.8 full RRP AAA games, if you actually pay full price, so I guess what I'm saying is, is PS VR worth 2.8 new games to you, Billy?

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, look at it this way. If you go through PSVR games anywhere close to the speed you've rolled through Switch games, you'll have exhausted its entire library in a few months (and let's be honest, how much longer is the PSVR going to get games before Sony stops marketing it?). At that time you can bounce back to the Switch and you'll have a few more AAA games and another 100-200 indie games to go through. :)

And that's if you even shelve the Switch, which seems unlikely. You can't play the PSVR at work or on your commute, after all.

Take my dismissal of the PSVR with a grain of salt. I have zero interest in VR. But I think my point about the Switch stands, it provides an experience you can't get with any other console (so does the PSVR, but it doesn't interest me, and as we've already established, we both like the unique features of the Switch).

Anywho, I just got to what seems to be the final story world, in Super Mario Odyssey. I'm really loving the game, and I'm having a lot of fun getting new costumes for Mario.

Also, I saw that the Search feature in the eShop now has a "Demo" filter so you can see all the games with demos. Pretty cool. I've tried a few out recently. I suck at fighting games and typically avoid them, but Pokken Tournament DX seemed really solid from the demo. I could see myself getting that if it's ever on a big sale.

I haven't played thaaaat many Switch games. I've only got 30 odd, of those 30 odd I've beat probably 20 odd? 20 odd games in 6 and a bit months ain't anything special, especially when a few of them are Metal Gear and King of Fighters, which can be clocked in half an hour or so no problem. Mind you, I've rebeat those two a few times, but still. Anyway, I don't care about the VR games, I won't be buying the Move sticks either (unless there's an equally good sale), I just wanna play my games on a helmet with earphones so I don't need to hog the TV / wake the baby needlessly that one time. 

I do have a big break coming up though, so no more buses for me. My course resumes in early/mid February, and this coming week (it's Saturday here) is my last one until then, so outside of a bit of part time work here and there, I'll be sitting on my ass for some time. Have I explained why it's better for my wallet that I don't get a full time gig or not yet? Because there is a reason beyond "I'm lazy and like sitting"

I concur. Who knows, I may just ditch it anyways.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! GOD I WAS HOPING THEY WOULD DO THAT SOON. The amount of times I've gone through the whole list to see if anyone's added that little "demo available" tag to their picture is beyond count. That new Harmonix game has a demo and was fun for five minutes, Super Beat Sport or whatever it was called. How many demos are on your store? The AU one has probably 15 or so I think, last I saw.

12 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

PSVR is RRP 550. 

PS4 camera is 90 RRP.

Skyrim just dropped at 100 RRP.

That VR Move Worlds game or whatever is 40 RRP.

So that there is 780. Now, realistically Skyrim is on sale everywhere for around 60 as usual, but we'll ignore that to pretend I got more value.

I got all of those things in a bundle, and after 10 bucks for delivery and a family and friends discount code for 10% off, I got it for the total of 333 bones. I'm intending to sell the two games to for 50 odd, which seems pretty damn fair to me, that brings it all down to 280. So the whole total was 780, then when I ditch the two games I don't care about, it drops to 280, so basically, in effect, I've saved 500 depending on which side of Dylan's bullshit I want to look at. 280 AUD is basically 2.8 full RRP AAA games, if you actually pay full price, so I guess what I'm saying is, is PS VR worth 2.8 new games to you, Billy?

PSVR is worth the full price in my opinion, if you enjoy it. Some people can't stand the mesh, or the movements.

I can get into selling VR Worlds but personally, I'd keep Skyrim VR. That would be awesome and I'd get it even though I just bought the Switch version.

If you want zany multiplayer fun, don't ignore that free robot minigame demk thingie. Great games. Playroom VR or something like that. Also, I'd suggest the great puzzle game Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, and I'd suggest to print out the book for your co-op partner.

9 hours ago, Cubone said:

PSVR is worth the full price in my opinion, if you enjoy it. Some people can't stand the mesh, or the movements.

I can get into selling VR Worlds but personally, I'd keep Skyrim VR. That would be awesome and I'd get it even though I just bought the Switch version.

If you want zany multiplayer fun, don't ignore that free robot minigame demk thingie. Great games. Playroom VR or something like that. Also, I'd suggest the great puzzle game Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, and I'd suggest to print out the book for your co-op partner.

The mesh?

I'm just not really interested in Skyrim and if I'm gonna flip it, I should do it before it drops to bargain bin prices.

I'll be hitting up a lot of the free stuff soon, me thinks. As far as co-op, we got the missus a copy of WWII on Xbox yesterday, so any gaming she'll be doing, she'll be doing on that sucker. Outside of like DriveClub VR, there's honestly nothing that interests me. I gotta stop impulse buying shit at night, I need to kill the internet at 10 or something. Anyway, I might just return it too, it's just from a department store's website, nearest one is like 10 minutes down the road so returning is no issue. It's not that it's not worth it, it's just I don't care that much. Fucking keen for DriveClub VR though, and I guess Until Dawn (even though it's better with the Move remotes supposedly), but other than those two there's nothing I really care for. I just don't see the VR unit dropping beneath that price any time soon, you feel? Fifty fifty on keeping it honestly.

Hey guys, so take these rumors with a grain of salt, but a redditor with a history of correct leaks has leaked some upcoming titles for the switch

"

NINTENDO:

There has been pressure towards Game Freak to get Pokemon's 8th Generation out in hopes of a release next year. If you recall Pokemon Stars, that is (or was) real, but all it was was a Sun and Moon port to the Switch, used as an engine test tech demo thing.

Metroid Prime 4 should have something revealed with some in-game footage early next year from what I've heard. I'm hearing that Direct in January particularly. Bandai Namco is developing the game for Nintendo. I don't know which development studio.

There is some kind of new Animal Crossing that they hope to release next year too.

The Switch's Virtual Console will not be like how it currently is known to be like. There is some kind of a subscription service of sorts in the works.

Mother 3 is real. According to my source, it was completely localized and playable. The sad thing that I've heard is that it is being held back for some reason, which all I know has something to do with not knowing which month to release it in.

According to one of my sources, they claim that Square Enix is doing The World Ends With You 2 exclusively for the Nintendo Switch.

Blizzard is preparing a Hearthstone port for the Switch. I'm not sure when this will be announced due to the phrasing, but I heard about this when I went to Blizzcon."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7c9n8i/leakileaks/

Edited by SnowxSakura

Skyrim is really awesome on the Switch, y'all.

Just like the first time Ibought it, I ended up staying in the main menu to listen to the whole theme the first time I started it up.

Load times are not too bad. The introductory load feels about as bad as it did on the X360 when I played the game the first time around, and in-game in-between loads don't seem too bad.

Graphics are fine. Better than on X360(/PS3) but it's obvious it's an old game remastered, kind of like the Ezio Collection on PS4. It looks great in handheld mode though, think I'll play it exclusively in handheld mode.

I hope I'm strong enough to not let me be distracted this time around, I really want to be able to finish the game.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm in the same boat. I'd like opinions too.

I've looked up some Wonder Boy gameplay and I've decided I'll buy it when it gets even cheaper, I think it's too short to be worth it for me at this point.

On 18/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

The mesh?

6542_Image.jpg

The pixels are very close to your eyes. It looks to me like a mesh between me and the world, I'm not too bothered by it but not everyone can stand it.

On 18/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm just not really interested in Skyrim and if I'm gonna flip it, I should do it before it drops to bargain bin prices.

I'll be hitting up a lot of the free stuff soon, me thinks. As far as co-op, we got the missus a copy of WWII on Xbox yesterday, so any gaming she'll be doing, she'll be doing on that sucker. Outside of like DriveClub VR, there's honestly nothing that interests me. I gotta stop impulse buying shit at night, I need to kill the internet at 10 or something. Anyway, I might just return it too, it's just from a department store's website, nearest one is like 10 minutes down the road so returning is no issue. It's not that it's not worth it, it's just I don't care that much. Fucking keen for DriveClub VR though, and I guess Until Dawn (even though it's better with the Move remotes supposedly), but other than those two there's nothing I really care for. I just don't see the VR unit dropping beneath that price any time soon, you feel? Fifty fifty on keeping it honestly.

Well yeah, if Skyrim doesn't interest you then don't keep it. I think it would be brilliant.

16 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Hey guys, so take these rumors with a grain of salt, but a redditor with a history of correct leaks has leaked some upcoming titles for the switch

"

NINTENDO:

There has been pressure towards Game Freak to get Pokemon's 8th Generation out in hopes of a release next year. If you recall Pokemon Stars, that is (or was) real, but all it was was a Sun and Moon port to the Switch, used as an engine test tech demo thing.

Metroid Prime 4 should have something revealed with some in-game footage early next year from what I've heard. I'm hearing that Direct in January particularly. Bandai Namco is developing the game for Nintendo. I don't know which development studio.

There is some kind of new Animal Crossing that they hope to release next year too.

The Switch's Virtual Console will not be like how it currently is known to be like. There is some kind of a subscription service of sorts in the works.

Mother 3 is real. According to my source, it was completely localized and playable. The sad thing that I've heard is that it is being held back for some reason, which all I know has something to do with not knowing which month to release it in.

According to one of my sources, they claim that Square Enix is doing The World Ends With You 2 exclusively for the Nintendo Switch.

Blizzard is preparing a Hearthstone port for the Switch. I'm not sure when this will be announced due to the phrasing, but I heard about this when I went to Blizzcon."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7c9n8i/leakileaks/

Seems like lots of information that was already out there as rumours, and stuff that's an easy educated guess. I wouldn't trust this 'source' myself, there's nothing in here I couldn't have stated myself.

Wow I can't believe the many games I have.

Snipperclips

Snipperclips Plus

Super Mario Odyssey

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom

L.A Noire

Monopoly for Nintendo Switch

Lego City Undercover

Splatoon 2(For my sister)

Super Bomberman R

Fire Emblem Warriors

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Lego Worlds

Poi Exploration Edition

Stardew Valley

I possibly will get

Golf Story

Wonder Boy

Mayyyyyyybe 

Pokken Tournament DX

Thimbleweed Park

The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

Dragon Quest Builders

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Project Octopath Traveler(Current name)

Ahhhh so many games xD

Edited by Shiny Suicune
Updated my list :)

New poll questions are up!

Out of the 1M+ games, I have Zelda, Odyssey and Kart.

I play mostly in handheld mode these days. Really a switch from the beginning, when I only played in docked mode, and even a few months ago it was about 50-50. Handheld mode is just so convenient...and better on the eyes in case of Stardew Valley.

I've played somewhere between 20 and 30 games. I've only had two carts yet - Zelda and Mario+Rabbids.

14 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Wow I can't believe the many games I have.

Snipperclips

Snipperclips Plus

Super Mario Odyssey

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom

L.A Noire

Monopoly for Nintendo Switch

Lego City Undercover

Splatoon 2(For my sister)

Super Bomberman R

Fire Emblem Warriors

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I possibly will get

Stardew Valley

Golf Story

Wonder Boy

Mayyyyyyybe 

Pokken Tournament DX

Thimbleweed Park

The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

Lego Worlds

Dragon Quest Builders

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Project Octopath Traveler(Current name)

Ahhhh so many games xD

I can recommend out of your possibly/maybe list:

Stardew Valley

Golf Story

Thimbleweed Park (if you're a fan of the genre)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Well, I finished the story in Super Mario Odyssey and finished the 100th regular puzzle in Picross S (which combined with my handful of puzzles in Mega Picross, means I'm close to halfway through overall).

I've had such a great time with SMO. What a fantastic game.

@Cubone:

Spoiler

You must have gotten a kick out of Mushroom Kingdom and the SM64 skin and SM64-style portraits. I thought that was a cool bit of nostalgia, without going overboard. I spent a lot of time there and I'll go back at some point as I clean up collectibles in the game.

To the people I've seen online, complaining that the game is too easy... they're wrong. Sure, the game is no Super Meat Boy, but it does a great job of balancing the bulk of the game being accessible (with a fair share of moderately tricky parts).

Also:

Spoiler

I just got 250 Power Moons and unlocked The Dark Side world. Holy crap, that boss gauntlet at the beginning is no joke! "The game isn't challenging at all"... idiots. My skills may not be up to the task in this gauntlet, especially since there is no shop beforehand to buy a +3 heart upgrade.

I voted in the new poll. My choices should be obvious to most people here. I guessed at 10-19 titles, since that seems about right.

One more thing to note. I played a fair amount of SMO this weekend docked with the Pro Controller. That controller is really great; I haven't used it a lot because of my preference for handheld mode, but it's a fantastic controller. Also, I finally "Switched" from handheld to docked to handheld, all in one gaming session. I think that's the first time I've done that. I'm loving this system, and I think I am now at the point that I will prefer it in almost every multiplatform game. There may be exceptions but I can't think of any right now. I'm already making the Switch with LEGO games since I'll be getting the Ninjago one on sale from Best Buy in the Black Friday sale. And I will eventually get Doom, LA Noire, and Skyrim for it, although I'll wait for a price drop since those are lower priorities for me. I may actually get Wolfenstein 2 at full price.

Purchased a Switch about a month ago with Mario Kart 8 and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I watched streams of Super Mario Odyssey on the day it was released and had the impulse to hit up an EBGames for one a couple days after. 

Currently have a love/hate relationship with BoTW because it has been the most infuriating game thus far. Either Zelda has become significantly more challenging since Wind Waker or I have become shitty at video games (; ̄д ̄)Probably the latter.

But for the most part, I absolutely love the fact that I can have it portable or docked and will probably purchase Odyssey eventually. Sometimes I wish I had gotten that one instead...but I am also terrible at platformers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cubone said:

I can recommend out of your possibly/maybe list:

Stardew Valley

Golf Story

Thimbleweed Park (if you're a fan of the genre)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Also btw they are all retail except the regular Snipperclips o.o. Yea....I am not anytime soon going digital xD

I honestly haven't played a gamestyle like Thimbleweed Park so I might try it.

Yea Golf Story looks interesting and Stardew Valley as well :). Always open to different games.

ALSO HOW DO YOU GUYS PLAY THAT PICROSS? I get so lost in that T.T(I don't own on on the Switch only in 3DS)

On my 3DS I have a pokemon version and still I am terrible 

Edited by Shiny Suicune

1 hour ago, Shiny Suicune said:

ALSO HOW DO YOU GUYS PLAY THAT PICROSS? I get so lost in that T.T(I don't own on on the Switch only in 3DS)

On my 3DS I have a pokemon version and still I am terrible 

@Cubone is better than me, partly because he was already a fan of that type of puzzle before getting the game. But I'm about halfway through. I will give you a few tips based on my experiences. For what it's worth, I think I have all the options in the Settings menu on their defaults, because that probably changes things.

I started out being pretty bad, and I'd always use Auto Assist or whatever it's called at the beginning of each puzzle. I would also use "Check Moves" a lot, but at least with the default settings, you can only use it once. So that one was more for when I got stuck.

Over time I've gotten better at the game, but one thing has not changed: the way I tackle each puzzle. First, I start out with the biggest numbers. Let's use an example where it's a 10x10 puzzle. If there is a line with "8", then I start with that. That number is only 2 less than the maximum length, so you know that you can fill in the middle 6 boxes, and mark the 2 on either end of the line as "maybes". The 6 numbers in the middle have to be part of that line, but at that point you don't know where the other 2 boxes are. After the first line, I go on from there, working my way down from the largest numbers down to the smallest.

This sounds great on paper, but it can get tricky especially in the larger puzzles. I think using graph paper to try different things could help. Sometimes I wish the game had additional ways to mark boxes (with Picross S, it's "filled", "unfilled", and "maybe"), like color coding.

I'm now at the point where I skip Auto Assist, and only use Check Moves once in a while. Occasionally I make a mistake (usually when I get careless and make an assumption that's incorrect), and that's when I have to use it, because with this type of puzzle, one mistake usually leads to more and more mistakes later, since the lines intersect.

I downloaded the Pokemon 3DS version (just the free part, I'm not paying $30 or whatever for all the puzzles, since the Switch version is $8), but I haven't played it much yet. It seems pretty similar, but the Switch has better controls IMO. The 3DS Pokemon version had mandatory stylus controls in some parts, which I find a mixed bag. Touch controls work great in some places, but not across the board.

Anyway, even if you're not great at it, I'd say S is well worth the $8. 300 puzzles for less than $10? I wish all games had that much value.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

@Cubone is better than me, partly because he was already a fan of that type of puzzle before getting the game. But I'm about halfway through. I will give you a few tips based on my experiences. For what it's worth, I think I have all the options in the Settings menu on their defaults, because that probably changes things.

I started out being pretty bad, and I'd always use Auto Assist or whatever it's called at the beginning of each puzzle. I would also use "Check Moves" a lot, but at least with the default settings, you can only use it once. So that one was more for when I got stuck.

Over time I've gotten better at the game, but one thing has not changed: the way I tackle each puzzle. First, I start out with the biggest numbers. Let's use an example where it's a 10x10 puzzle. If there is a line with "8", then I start with that. That number is only 2 less than the maximum length, so you know that you can fill in the middle 6 boxes, and mark the 2 on either end of the line as "maybes". The 6 numbers in the middle have to be part of that line, but at that point you don't know where the other 2 boxes are. After the first line, I go on from there, working my way down from the largest numbers down to the smallest.

This sounds great on paper, but it can get tricky especially in the larger puzzles. I think using graph paper to try different things could help. Sometimes I wish the game had additional ways to mark boxes (with Picross S, it's "filled", "unfilled", and "maybe"), like color coding.

I'm now at the point where I skip Auto Assist, and only use Check Moves once in a while. Occasionally I make a mistake (usually when I get careless and make an assumption that's incorrect), and that's when I have to use it, because with this type of puzzle, one mistake usually leads to more and more mistakes later, since the lines intersect.

I downloaded the Pokemon 3DS version (just the free part, I'm not paying $30 or whatever for all the puzzles, since the Switch version is $8), but I haven't played it much yet. It seems pretty similar, but the Switch has better controls IMO. The 3DS Pokemon version had mandatory stylus controls in some parts, which I find a mixed bag. Touch controls work great in some places, but not across the board.

Anyway, even if you're not great at it, I'd say S is well worth the $8. 300 puzzles for less than $10? I wish all games had that much value.

I followed the instructions on the Pokemon Version and I was lost xD. I have to go back to it. I tried a couple times since downloading it and maaann I was terrible T.T. Thank for the tip. I will paste it in my note for reference :)