Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Well, I pre-ordered Let's Go Pikachu and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. And I did it with enough trading in games so that I don't have to pay anything at all (actually I got €20 along with it). Yay me!

I was thinking about Let's Go and/or Red Dead Redemption II earlier today, but I thought "fuck Rockstar" and decided not to get Red Dead Redemption II new. Kind of a 180 from my ciew on Rockstar five years ago, but whatever.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I knew Thimbleweed Park wasn't for me the moment I first saw it. What can I say, tastes change over time and eliminating genres is one way for me to manage my backlog and list of games I'm interested in.

Pffff, changing interests... Bullocks! What are you, one of those weirdos that thought The Last Jedi was good and The Force Awakens was too much the same as before? B)

I don't remember the games being toned down in insanity, but it has been a while since I played them. You could be right there. On that note, I think I'm due for a re-read of the comics and a re-watch of the show.

They had insane humour, but the pace was much too slow and the puzzles weren't fun enough.

I've only played bits of the 3D iterations of Ninja Gaiden, which are what I like to refer to as "balls nasty" difficulty. I'm not sure if the NES originals were super difficult since I've never played them. I'll watch some more gameplay footage and read another review or two.

The Messenger isn't extremely difficult, not even very difficult I think. It's just right, and it keeps extra difficult challenges as optional for the hidden seals.

Since I haven't seen a guide yet, I don't know how tedious the Platinum in Starlink is, but I think I would get bored before that point. I'm just finding the gameplay to be very repetitive now. I got enough of those "cores" or whatever they're called (the items that show on the various purchase screens next to the main currency that I think is called Electrum) to upgrade all of the homeship stuff to the maximum (except the last few categories that require purchasing additional characters, and also the "puzzle" category that unlocks extra damage against Legion enemies). Leveling up Fox, my Arwing, and my weapons doesn't seem to make much difference so the upgrade loop is basically over for me. I still love the combat though, and the story is kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game a lot but I'm starting to see more flaws now than when I first got it.

If Ubisoft makes a sequel, I hope they improve the formula with things like unique side quests, more "stuff to do" on each planet, etc. Still, it's definitely a good starting point and more enjoyable than Assassin's Creed 1 was, for example.

Yeah, I hope they give the franchise a chance. Assassin's Creed 1 wasn't nearly as fun as the later games, and Watch_Dogs 1 was a drag.

Since the eShop updates tomorrow, I'm assuming today is the last day for the sale. Are the levels pretty short, and good for "pick up and play" gameplay? Have you noticed any difficulty spikes so far? Does the game have "shot timers" for making a shot (and if so, do you feel rushed in making shots)? I noticed the game site mentions "Panic Mode" being timed, so that's "right out" for me, but I'm not sure if that element crops up during the normal levels.

What I see for now is that each level has four trophies wich you can go for - timer, maximum number of shots, everything in the pockets, never fell in the pockets yourself (or pocketed the eight ball too soon). It seems to be optional for all the levels though, and as the levels are pretty short (as in, under a minute short) it's very fit for pick up and play sessions. There might be a timer or two later on, I don't know, but it doesn't feel like that will happen, I think.

There's some difficulty in some types of balls - I've seen a ball yell and run away when you target it, I've seen a ball dig its heals in if you take too long in between targeting and shooting - but with what looks like 104 levels and an open world, I don't really think they can easily put a difficulty spike somewhere as beyond the three or four levels on the main plateau, I don't think they can control that much what levels are played first. Also, thus means if a level is too frustrating, you can just walk on to a different level.

Edited by Agent 47

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

Pffff, changing interests... Bullocks! What are you, one of those weirdos that thought The Last Jedi was good and The Force Awakens was too much the same as before? B)

Even worse, I'm one of those weirdos who liked BOTH TLJ and TFA. And even though it's supposedly not possible, somehow I like Star Wars AND Star Trek?!? Clearly I am FakeNews.

They had insane humour, but the pace was much too slow and the puzzles weren't fun enough.

Now that sounds like what I remember. I guess they would be better in a different format.

Yeah, I hope they give the franchise a chance. Assassin's Creed 1 wasn't nearly as fun as the later games, and Watch_Dogs 1 was a drag.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger improvement than between AC1 and AC2. And this is coming from someone who thinks Ezio is boring and overrated, and who thinks AC2 was outdone by its sequels multiple times once they moved onto other protagonists. But credit where credit is due - AC2 was a huge step up for the series.

I actually managed to get the Platinum in Watch Dogs 1, because I liked the hacking gimmick. I haven't played the sequel yet, but it's hard to imagine it going anywhere but up from the unlikable protagonist in WD1.

What I see for now is that each level has four trophies wich you can go for - timer, maximum number of shots, everything in the pockets, never fell in the pockets yourself (or pocketed the eight ball too soon). It seems to be optional for all the levels though, and as the levels are pretty short (as in, under a minute short) it's very fit for pick up and play sessions. There might be a timer or two later on, I don't know, but it doesn't feel like that will happen, I think.

There's some difficulty in some types of balls - I've seen a ball yell and run away when you target it, I've seen a ball dig its heals in if you take too long in between targeting and shooting - but with what looks like 104 levels and an open world, I don't really think they can easily put a difficulty spike somewhere as beyond the three or four levels on the main plateau, I don't think they can control that much what levels are played first. Also, thus means if a level is too frustrating, you can just walk on to a different level.

Thanks for the information. That sounds pretty good to me.

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Even worse, I'm one of those weirdos who liked BOTH TLJ and TFA.

giphy.gif

Now that sounds like what I remember. I guess they would be better in a different format.

The idea of a Sam and Max point and click is fine, it's just that Telltale's way of doing it is bogus.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger improvement than between AC1 and AC2.

Mario Bros versus Super Mario Bros comes to mind. But in recent years, yeah, Assassin's Creed is the main 'second game improver' out there.

Thanks for the information. That sounds pretty good to me.

After a lunch break with Wandersong, I did one more level in Pool Panic, which was set at a pond. There weren't enough balls around to finish the level, but the set-up seemed like I should pick up a fishing pole hat (yeah...) and go fishing for fish-balls. I opted for jumping into the pool, and shooting the fish-balls out, which the game allowed too. Of course, this means that I'm not even close to the minimum shots trophy on that one, but whatever.

Also, all this talk about balls makes talking about this game seem way more naughty than it really is.

After a lunch break with Wandersong, I did one more level in Pool Panic, which was set at a pond. There weren't enough balls around to finish the level, but the set-up seemed like I should pick up a fishing pole hat (yeah...) and go fishing for fish-balls. I opted for jumping into the pool, and shooting the fish-balls out, which the game allowed too. Of course, this means that I'm not even close to the minimum shots trophy on that one, but whatever.

Also, all this talk about balls makes talking about this game seem way more naughty than it really is.

Is the game set in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania?

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/how-did-intercourse-bird-in-hand-and-blue-ball-get/article_4ddfc21a-31bd-11e7-8371-cb3a5ca4bc9a.html

Anyway, I picked up Pool Panic. I'll let you know what I think of it.

20 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Pffff, changing interests... Bullocks! What are you, one of those weirdos that thought The Last Jedi was good and The Force Awakens was too much the same as bef

I've flip flopped on this movie so much at so many times it's not even something I can type anymore, it just takes too long. If the Switch had a voice chat, I'd suggest a discussion sometime during a Super Mario 3 sesh, but alas, it does not. I did manage to watch it again the other day and more than anything, positives and negatives aside, it's just forgettable. Finn, Rey, Poe, and co are in the same place really that they were at the start of the movie. Snoke probably won't really be dead and Kylo was basically in the same position anyway so eh? Aside from killing Luke, which can easily be retcon'd, and introducing Rose, the movie really adds nothing which is the worst thing.

But I'm not here to talk Star Wars. I'm here to ask if you think Runner 3 is worth it? I'm tempted, but I've bought too many damn things on the Switch, I need to cool it. So considering you've not steered me wrong yet, and tbh I just want someone to convince me to pull the trigger, what would you say? Worth the 11 bucks?

Also I made this in about 30 seconds. I'd been meaning to burn through Forces again, but I did not realize I've literally not touched it basically since release art.png

8 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm here to ask if you think Runner 3 is worth it? I'm tempted, but I've bought too many damn things on the Switch, I need to cool it. So considering you've not steered me wrong yet, and tbh I just want someone to convince me to pull the trigger, what would you say? Worth the 11 bucks?

I think that sale it's on now is insane and the game is definitely worth it for that price. It's an acquired taste though. Did you play and enjoy Runner2? I think Runner3 is the superior one out of the series, by the way.

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I hope Game Freak remembered to add Pikachu Libre costume for the companion pokémon!

I am not bothering with the costumes unless either one of two things happen:

1) Pikachu himself/herself is stated in the game as wanting something.

2) There's a Detective Pikachu hat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

We ended up reserving a physical copy of Let's Go Pikachu (got a small discount). Will probably pick it up on Saturday.

I hope Game Freak remembered to add Pikachu Libre costume for the companion pokémon!

Wait, is that like a luchador costume? If so, sign me up! 

3 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

2) There's a Detective Pikachu hat.

I'd say that's fairly likely, given the 3DS game and the upcoming movie. I am partial to that kind of detective hat myself. Again, sign me up! 

I preordered Let's Go Pikachu myself. Eevee is cute, but as a relative Pokemon newbie, Pikachu is easily the most recognizable Pokemon to me. Also, I like the companion Pokemon riding on my shoulder versus my head. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

@MosesRockefeller got your back, buddy!

7yYlg8Q_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Picked it up and decided to play a few minutes before getting back to working. Most of my reservations have been stripped away, it feels very much like the classic Pokémon if it would come out today.

... Of course, now I HAVE to buy next year's core game, or else I'm giving Nintendo the impression that I only want a Go type Pokémon game. While I'm fine with Let's Go as a series of remakes (in two to three years: Let's Go Togepi?) but I'd prefer it if the core games, while change they may, didn't change towards Go.

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Wait, is that like a luchador costume? If so, sign me up! 

I'd say that's fairly likely, given the 3DS game and the upcoming movie. I am partial to that kind of detective hat myself. Again, sign me up! 

I preordered Let's Go Pikachu myself. Eevee is cute, but as a relative Pokemon newbie, Pikachu is easily the most recognizable Pokemon to me. Also, I like the companion Pokemon riding on my shoulder versus my head. 

Yep! Pikachu Libre is awesome. :P

Detective hat for Pikachu would be great, @Agent 47. Detective Pikachu has a cape too at some point in his own game.

• Like 1

Hey... When you make a Pokémon forget a move, the gsme doesn't say "poof" any more, but "ta-da".

... RUINED!

Side note, don't you just love that PSNP isn't GameFaqs?

I've played an hour or so now, maybe two. The game is definitely streamlined, but I wouldn't say annoyingly so. Frankly speaking, having such a low effort (for me, not the devs) game ease me back into the series might be a better thing than I think it is, as I just recalled what a hell the first two hours of Gen II (or maybe Gen III?) were, with all the going back and forth between the first two or three towns...

... So is anyone going for specific Pokémon for their party? I'm keeping Pikachu in there, and as for the other five, I'm going for Butterfree for sure, a Squirtle->Blastiose if I can find one, perhaps a Charmander->Charizard while I'm at it... That gives me room for, I guess rock or sand or ground some such? And psychic or ghost or grass... I don't know all the types any more.

1 hour ago, Aexuz said:

So the official names for the trainers are Chase and Elaine and Trace is the rival's name right?  I always go with the official names in all pokemon games so I want to be sure before playing it. 

... Where are you getting those names from?

And you can always name your rival Gary :)

36 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Honestly that's a good thing, gamefaqs is total cancer to visit

Yeah that's what I meant. The only reason I check it out at all is partly because sometimes there's a good scoop, but mostly it's just bile fascination. I'm very glad we have an active Switch thread going on PSNP where we share stuff - and as all of us have a PlayStation console too, none of us are blind fanboys of either. I never understood the whole console wars thing. Just because I read Marvel comics, doesn't mean I hate DC - Batman actually is the character I have the most books of - and just because I'm a Star Wars fan doesn't mean I never watch anything from Star Trek.

Edit: that is, I understand why some console makers are trying to light a few flames for wars, I just don't get how so many people can fall for it, unless we go for the "most of humanity is stupid" excuse again.

Edited by Agent 47

... So is anyone going for specific Pokémon for their party? I'm keeping Pikachu in there, and as for the other five, I'm going for Butterfree for sure, a Squirtle->Blastiose if I can find one, perhaps a Charmander->Charizard while I'm at it... That gives me room for, I guess rock or sand or ground some such? And psychic or ghost or grass... I don't know all the types any more.

I don't have the game (yet) but I normally tend to use Alakazam and Nidoking. Also Golem could be usefull. If you want a grass type I would suggest Exeggutor from the ones available. It's a bit difficult to find good Pokemon with only gen. 1 available.

Hey... When you make a Pokémon forget a move, the gsme doesn't say "poof" any more, but "ta-da".

... RUINED!

Side note, don't you just love that PSNP isn't GameFaqs?

I've played an hour or so now, maybe two. The game is definitely streamlined, but I wouldn't say annoyingly so. Frankly speaking, having such a low effort (for me, not the devs) game ease me back into the series might be a better thing than I think it is, as I just recalled what a hell the first two hours of Gen II (or maybe Gen III?) were, with all the going back and forth between the first two or three towns...

... Where are you getting those names from?

And you can always name your rival Gary :)

https://pokemonblog.com/2018/10/18/the-male-and-female-player-characters-are-named-chase-and-elaine-in-pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee/

Blue (Gary) and Red are also in the game. 

On 11/16/2018 at 0:05 AM, Agent 47 said:

I think that sale it's on now is insane and the game is definitely worth it for that price. It's an acquired taste though. Did you play and enjoy Runner2? I think Runner3 is the superior one out of the series, by the way.

I watched like half the trailer and bought it yesterday or the day before.

Also, how does it feel to know that, when a new Pokemon released and was in my house, we spent the day playing Fortnite and Paw Patrol, and didn't touch Pokeballs?

7 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I don't have the game (yet) but I normally tend to use Alakazam and Nidoking. Also Golem could be usefull. If you want a grass type I would suggest Exeggutor from the ones available. It's a bit difficult to find good Pokemon with only gen. 1 available.

I am of the opinion that gen I was the superior generation of Pokémon. For instance, what the hell is Sploink supposed to be? Gen I was also the only time I liked at least two of the starters. I usually like at leadt the water one but the last three or four times I didn't really like any of the stsrters. But yeah, type-wise it's a bit tough. I only named Charizard because there's no other fire types that I like.

If I go for grass, I still don't like Exeggcutor. I like Bellsprout though. Golem, well, I always thought Sandslash was cool even though usually I prefer three-evolution Pokémon. Talking about Alakazam, Golem, Bellsprout... Aren't those all Pokémon that had their final evolutions locked behind trading? How does that work in Let's Go, does everyone just have access to everything?

7 hours ago, Aexuz said:

Strange. Why come up with "official" names for nameable player characters?

I mean, I understand Link. I also understand Gen I's Red and Blue. But Let's Go doesn't even try to give the characters a name that I could replace, so why come up with those names at all?

I didn't know Blue and Gary were supposed to be the same person. Isn't Gary just the rival in the animé? In Pokémon Blue, Blue isn't an Oak.

Now that we're talking about names, @MosesRockefeller, did you play West Of Loathing yet? I forgot. Anyway in West Of Loathing, I got the dead ghost horse, and I named her Ghostpona. Thought that was good for a chuckle.

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I watched like half the trailer and bought it yesterday or the day before.

Cool, enjoy.

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, how does it feel to know that, when a new Pokemon released and was in my house, we spent the day playing Fortnite and Paw Patrol, and didn't touch Pokeballs?

It just feels like you truly are a millennial dad, and not old enough to have had a Game Boy when the first generation of Pokémon games was released :D

Do whatever you wish. I'm not a superfan, I wouldn't classify myself even as a regular fan. I'm just a gamer who has enjoyed Pokémon games on occasion. Even my first contact with the game was just needing to help my little cousin because he got Pokémon even though they don't translate the games to Dutch, which made him constantly get stuck.

I am of the opinion that gen I was the superior generation of Pokémon. For instance, what the hell is Sploink supposed to be? Gen I was also the only time I liked at least two of the starters. I usually like at leadt the water one but the last three or four times I didn't really like any of the stsrters. But yeah, type-wise it's a bit tough. I only named Charizard because there's no other fire types that I like.

If I go for grass, I still don't like Exeggcutor. I like Bellsprout though. Golem, well, I always thought Sandslash was cool even though usually I prefer three-evolution Pokémon. Talking about Alakazam, Golem, Bellsprout... Aren't those all Pokémon that had their final evolutions locked behind trading? How does that work in Let's Go, does everyone just have access to everything?

Strange. Why come up with "official" names for nameable player characters?

I mean, I understand Link. I also understand Gen I's Red and Blue. But Let's Go doesn't even try to give the characters a name that I could replace, so why come up with those names at all?

I didn't know Blue and Gary were supposed to be the same person. Isn't Gary just the rival in the animé? In Pokémon Blue, Blue isn't an Oak.

Now that we're talking about names, @MosesRockefeller, did you play West Of Loathing yet? I forgot. Anyway in West Of Loathing, I got the dead ghost horse, and I named her Ghostpona. Thought that was good for a chuckle.

Cool, enjoy.

It just feels like you truly are a millennial dad, and not old enough to have had a Game Boy when the first generation of Pokémon games was released :D

Do whatever you wish. I'm not a superfan, I wouldn't classify myself even as a regular fan. I'm just a gamer who has enjoyed Pokémon games on occasion. Even my first contact with the game was just needing to help my little cousin because he got Pokémon even though they don't translate the games to Dutch, which made him constantly get stuck.

You meet Blue very early in the game and he talks about professor Oak as his grandfather. 

17 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

You meet Blue very early in the game and he talks about professor Oak as his grandfather. 

Not when YOU are the one playing as Blue. The rival character is an Oak, not the player character.

... Or are you saying that in Pokémon Blue, the player character is still Red? Because that would be crazy if it was "official".

2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I'm old enough to remember wanting to drink a cup of super hot chilli to win 200 bucks to buy a Game Boy but not being allowed to. I was too poor to have a Game Boy more than anything, but I'm old enough to remember the little Pokemon Mini things, mate had a yellow one (presumably Pikachu, I don't remember) in primary school on an excursion and it was the coolest things.

My first contact was Pokemon Silver in like 2010. Found a Game Boy on the side of the road, took it home, shoved in some batteries, worked fine. Ended up asking around and hunting at old game shops that no longer exist to find games. Got a copy of Silver off a mate, had a fried battery though so I'd always be restarting, which is why I never made it more than like 3 hours into the game.