Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 11/2/2018 at 11:13 PM, MMX20 said:

Guys, I was originally get Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (PS4) as my October payment, but since Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee is coming out this month, should I get Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu as my October payment (I mean, October has already passed, but I am thinking of getting Let's GO Pikachu when it releases this month) even if I didn't play Pokemon GO? I heard some positive and negative things about Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu and Let's GO Eevee. And since I am a Pokemon fan, I want to get Let's GO Pikachu for Switch.

Get a physical copy of Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee. If you end up not liking the gameplay, you'll most likely get a good price for the game selling it used to a gaming store. I got nearly 70% of the new game's price when I sold Mario Tennis Aces to GameStop a few months after its release. I don't think not having played Pokémon GO matters at all - it just offers you a way to trade creatures from the mobile title I think? 

I'm also on the fence about Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee. The best part of Pokémon for me is team building (IVs, EVs, skills, abilities, breeding, etc.) and it seems like the upcoming game doesn't include many of these deep mechanics. I heard there's no pro controller support either, so eh...

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Get a physical copy of Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee. If you end up not liking the gameplay, you'll most likely get a good price for the game selling it used to a gaming store. I got nearly 70% of the new game's price when I sold Mario Tennis Aces to GameStop a few months after its release. I don't think not having played Pokémon GO matters at all - it just offers you a way to trade creatures from the mobile title I think? 

I'm also on the fence about Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee. The best part of Pokémon for me is team building (IVs, EVs, skills, abilities, breeding, etc.) and it seems like the upcoming game doesn't include many of these deep mechanics. I heard there's no pro controller support either, so eh...

But... you can dress up Pikachu and Eevee. Isn't that worth $60? :P

Anyway, good advice, a physical copy is a decent way to "demo" the game. I'll never play GO, but Let's Go looks interesting to me. Also, in the Treehouse video they showed that you can link other people's GO accounts, so if you have friends who play it, you can import those Pokemon without having to play GO yourself. 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:58 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

So to keep that brief, I don't like microtransactions, Fortnite does F2P right, I want some unrealistic NBA Jame style games too, and NBA microtransactions can fuck off because I can't change them and I don't care about unlocking players anyways.

...RDR. Yeah I've heard. I just haven't got around to it more than anything. It's not really a pick up and play for five minutes type game so I'm saving myself for when I have a good couple hours, if and when anyway, but I was never excited out the gate, game's probably not for me anyway tbh, but I figured as much nonetheless.

AND FINALLY. Now you see why I didn't reply last night, imagine typing this on a phone at half past eleven, you'd be there until half past midnight.

Okay, fair enough. I might have managed to win one game in Playgrounds 1, but I'm terrible at the game. I can't remember if NBA Jam felt this difficult, or if I'm just bad with age. Anyway, I did not manage to unlock much of anything in several hours of playing. I guess winning makes a big difference! I also don't care about real teams, but it was frustrating to play so much and have almost nothing to show for it. I played a bit of NBA Jam On Fire on PS3, and playing as Obama and Biden was way more fun than playing as a real team. Anyway, I guess all this means I should wait for a sale on Playgrounds 2. Maybe I'll play a bit more of 1 and try to not suck at it (yeah right!). 

As for F2P, I played a lot of Star Trek Online recently, which also does F2P "right". That being said, I still can't overlook the fact that games designed to be F2P play differently than those that are not (even the ones that do it "right"). Maybe Fortnite isn't like that, but since I have no interest in Battle Royale I don't know. Anyway, I avoid F2P as much as possible, and I'm taking a break from STO now. 

Phone typing sucks. It boggles my mind that the PC "is dying" because people have decided typing on phones is good enough. It's not. Sure, I love the convenience of smartphones and tablets, but they are terrible for typing. I often have to stop by a second building at work to fix computer problems, and I'll sometimes hang out there to send an email from my phone to the user who left me with the computer. 15 minutes later I'll hit send and think "man I could have typed that in 2 minutes on my work computer". 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

But... you can dress up Pikachu and Eevee. Isn't that worth $60? :P

Dressing up / accessorising Pokémon isn't a completely new feature in the series and the old games cost 33% less. Though I have to admit the Pokémon hairstyles in Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee were a pretty funny idea.

I'm a bit sad the game is missing all of my favorite Pokémon as it concentrates on 1st gen. Game Freak can partially make up for it by adding Pikachu Libre. :D

On 11/5/2018 at 0:04 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

Okay, fair enough. I might have managed to win one game in Playgrounds 1, but I'm terrible at the game. I can't remember if NBA Jam felt this difficult, or if I'm just bad with age. Anyway, I did not manage to unlock much of anything in several hours of playing. I guess winning makes a big difference! I also don't care about real teams, but it was frustrating to play so much and have almost nothing to show for it. I played a bit of NBA Jam On Fire on PS3, and playing as Obama and Biden was way more fun than playing as a real team. Anyway, I guess all this means I should wait for a sale on Playgrounds 2. Maybe I'll play a bit more of 1 and try to not suck at it (yeah right!). 

As for F2P, I played a lot of Star Trek Online recently, which also does F2P "right". That being said, I still can't overlook the fact that games designed to be F2P play differently than those that are not (even the ones that do it "right"). Maybe Fortnite isn't like that, but since I have no interest in Battle Royale I don't know. Anyway, I avoid F2P as much as possible, and I'm taking a break from STO now. 

Phone typing sucks. It boggles my mind that the PC "is dying" because people have decided typing on phones is good enough. It's not. Sure, I love the convenience of smartphones and tablets, but they are terrible for typing. I often have to stop by a second building at work to fix computer problems, and I'll sometimes hang out there to send an email from my phone to the user who left me with the computer. 15 minutes later I'll hit send and think "man I could have typed that in 2 minutes on my work computer". 

I've played a few rounds in Playgrounds 2 and it's quite fun. However, there's one super mega you-can't-ignore-this-at-all sized problem with the game; it's the exact same game as the first one. I know sports games get a lot of flack for that, and whatnot, and I'm sure if you actually give a fuck about basketball it's got enough new stuff to justify it. 3 point mode may be fun, and it looks like they've put more effort into online this time, but everything else is just DLC. There's 10 new areas supposedly, that's cool, I like it, there's 400 odd players, that's cool but whatever. There's probably enough to justify an annual release for people who like basketball, which is obviously who the game is aimed at, duh. But beyond that, the game looks IDENTICAL. If I loaded up a game on PG1, and then did the same on PG2, and told you to figure out which was which, you'd have a tough time. Aesthetically, identical. Gameplay, identical. Powerups even, identical. Only noticeable difference to me is the commentators really, they're perfectly fine this time round, but I like the original guys more, though it could be more experience with them too tbh. Outside of the menus, roster updates, and 3 point mode, the game could literally just be a nice big DLC pack for the original, but that wouldn't make as much money, would it. I have no problem with it being a yearly update, entirely skippable to casuals, and a nice new thing for the hardcore...however, I have a problem with the first one launching for 25/30 bucks (I forget, also it's been on sale countless times), only for this one to drop at FUCKING FIFTY, but not only that, they delisted the first one after the mark, so this is your only option now...almost like they knew that if you had the choice between the two games, you'd go for the one that's cheaper and has less microtransactions. Also there's no modifiers or anything of the sort, which sucks ass tbh, the OG version of PG1-prepatch was perfection tbh. Just stick with number 1. I love that the new one being on cart means I can delete the first one and gain back around 7gb of precious space, but I'd also prefer 50 bucks in my pocket and a tiny bit of hassle here and there for storage, think I might be returning this one, which is unfortunate because I actually had decent hopes. Bring on Playgrounds 3, and the continued yearly release schedule that will inevitably bring this sequel down to 10 bucks quicksmart.

Completely agree. Fortnite (BR mode anyway), is ripe for F2P though. It's just the same map, the same basic idea, each and every time. One map, 100 people drop to it, run around and find shit, kill or be killed, last guy wins. Rinse and repeat. There's missions you can do for your own leveling up and stuff, and the rewards are all cosmetic and whatnot but the way the ranks and tiers are designed are so perfectly well done to make you want to go one more round every time. The gameplay itself is great, nothing revolutionary, but what's there is tight and refined. The game's success really is a perfect storm of things coming together at just the right time. But if I had to put it as simple as I can, Fortnite BR is a game where 100 people play on an island, throughout the island are guns and vehicles and weapons and shields and health and stuff hidden for players to grab, these are all randomly generated each game (though each area will have stuff, it's luck of the draw what you will or won't get), and every player has the same level of chance to get something good as the next. Every player has the same run speed, the same jump height, the same strength / health, and so on. It's a completely level battlefield wherein everyone has a chance to run, find a gun, and either hide like a bitch or die like a bitch rampaging. The game is probably the most fair online game I've ever come across, everything is pretty well perfectly balanced. You can buy shit to deck out your guy, cool costumes and stuff, new music for the menu, different pickaxes (that all have the same strength and speed), and so on. Nothing to give anyone in any way any advantage. Also there's no ads. It's a game you can download for free and play for hours without waiting, without seeing an ad, and without possibility of any disadvantage due to not paying anything, that is how I would describe doing F2P "right", and that is how I would describe Fortnite.

I actually have been using an old BlackBerry Bold 9900 lately. Beautiful little keyboard, big enough screen to watch stuff (all 29 seasons of Simpsons on the Micro SD of course), snappy fast light OS, nice browser through Opera, and all the conveniences of a modern touch screen...plus the phone doesn't run out of juice in a single day. I almost wanna buy a more modern BlackBerry sometimes so I can enjoy Android on it, but then I remember how nice and fast the BBOS9 runs on my 9900 and reconsider. I miss physical buttons, man...but then, I own 3 Xperia Plays, 2 BlackBerries, and a Nokia 3310 3G, so, is that a surprise?

----------------------------General reply to Switch in general

Hover - Great game. Amazing traversal, fantastic gameplay, love it to death. Story wise? Haven't done a single mission, been too busy pissing around with the fun traversal and parkour mechanics all this time. Thing is great. Graphics / visuals / aesthetic / presentation really, is great, if you told me this was a shit canned in progress Jet Set Radio Future sequel for the original Xbox or something, I'd believe it. Love it.

NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 - Also great. Except it's literally the exact same as the first game just with more players, more money required to buy it, and more microtransactions after the mark. I'd say just go buy the original, but if you haven't already, you're too late, only Playgrounds 2 is available to buy nowadays, which is a shame, because 50 for PG2 versus 25/30 (I forget) for PG1 is an absolute no brainer. Good little game though, but the price is just too much to recommend.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Completely agree. Fortnite (BR mode anyway), is ripe for F2P though. It's just the same map, the same basic idea, each and every time. One map, 100 people drop to it, run around and find shit, kill or be killed, last guy wins. Rinse and repeat. There's missions you can do for your own leveling up and stuff, and the rewards are all cosmetic and whatnot but the way the ranks and tiers are designed are so perfectly well done to make you want to go one more round every time. The gameplay itself is great, nothing revolutionary, but what's there is tight and refined. The game's success really is a perfect storm of things coming together at just the right time. But if I had to put it as simple as I can, Fortnite BR is a game where 100 people play on an island, throughout the island are guns and vehicles and weapons and shields and health and stuff hidden for players to grab, these are all randomly generated each game (though each area will have stuff, it's luck of the draw what you will or won't get), and every player has the same level of chance to get something good as the next. Every player has the same run speed, the same jump height, the same strength / health, and so on. It's a completely level battlefield wherein everyone has a chance to run, find a gun, and either hide like a bitch or die like a bitch rampaging. The game is probably the most fair online game I've ever come across, everything is pretty well perfectly balanced. You can buy shit to deck out your guy, cool costumes and stuff, new music for the menu, different pickaxes (that all have the same strength and speed), and so on. Nothing to give anyone in any way any advantage. Also there's no ads. It's a game you can download for free and play for hours without waiting, without seeing an ad, and without possibility of any disadvantage due to not paying anything, that is how I would describe doing F2P "right", and that is how I would describe Fortnite.

I'm sure Fortnite is a solid game to have such a following. But like Minecraft, just because it's solid doesn't mean it appeals to me at all. It's not the game, it's the genre. I also can't forgive Fortnite for killing off the new Unreal Tournament game that Epic was working on. I can't blame Epic for going where the money is and going all in on Fortnite, but I was really looking forward to a new UT.

Thanks for the Playgrounds 2 update. I'll hold off.

I forgot to post this earlier, but I finally finished the main story in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 over the weekend. I have not checked my playtime in the menu, but I know it's pretty high. This is actually a game I frequently left idle purposely, because the Merc Missions are completed in real-time. I'm doing a little side quest clean-up now, but I will probably move on fairly soon. I do own the Torna expansion as well, but I will take a break before I get to that. Which reminds me, I still have the Zelda BotW and Mario+Rabbids story DLC that I need to go back and finish.

All in all, I really enjoyed XC2. I would enjoy seeing the previous games ported to Switch, although I already own the 3DS version of XC1 (played a little bit) and I also own XCX (unplayed). Whether it's a full-on remake of a prior game, or a completely new game, I hope Monolith Soft gets the chance to make another Switch JRPG.

Now I have more time to spend on Starlink, BotW DLC, Mario+Rabbids DLC, LA Noire, etc. I have so much "AAA" gaming on my Switch backlog, nevermind the indie backlog!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm sure Fortnite is a solid game to have such a following. But like Minecraft, just because it's solid doesn't mean it appeals to me at all. It's not the game, it's the genre. I also can't forgive Fortnite for killing off the new Unreal Tournament game that Epic was working on. I can't blame Epic for going where the money is and going all in on Fortnite, but I was really looking forward to a new UT.

Thanks for the Playgrounds 2 update. I'll hold off.

I'm the same with Minecraft. I've spent a fair few hours in it, maybe 10 or so, but it doesn't hold onto me. That 10 hours is over 6 or 7 years, and over 10 different devices / platforms, mind you.

Also that sucks about UT, I had no idea. I mean, I'm not surprised now that I've looked into it, but I'm still bummed. I love games like UT, Q3 is one of my all time favorite games, quite probably my all time favorite shooter (realistically it's tied with Duke 3D though).

Yeah. Fair call. If you see it for cheap, or if NBA 2K PG 3 (what a title) does come next year and NBA 2K PG 2 ends up being 10 bucks or so, I'd say grab it if you want. There's little refinements here and there, like a little numbered percentage popup on the shot metre, that make the overall experience that little bit better, I think the first one hit it out the park with what it wanted to do though, so now the 2K version is just more of the same. Which itself, again, isn't super bad, the bad part is charging twice the fucking price a year later for it, then removing the option to buy the old one, and now I remember why I'm annoyed at this game. 

On 11/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also that sucks about UT, I had no idea. I mean, I'm not surprised now that I've looked into it, but I'm still bummed. I love games like UT, Q3 is one of my all time favorite games, quite probably my all time favorite shooter (realistically it's tied with Duke 3D though).

I never got into Q3 - the guns and overall feel of UT always felt better to me. I also loved the cool "mutator" mods you could use in UT2k4.

On 11/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yeah. Fair call. If you see it for cheap, or if NBA 2K PG 3 (what a title) does come next year and NBA 2K PG 2 ends up being 10 bucks or so, I'd say grab it if you want. There's little refinements here and there, like a little numbered percentage popup on the shot metre, that make the overall experience that little bit better, I think the first one hit it out the park with what it wanted to do though, so now the 2K version is just more of the same. Which itself, again, isn't super bad, the bad part is charging twice the fucking price a year later for it, then removing the option to buy the old one, and now I remember why I'm annoyed at this game. 

So to give you an example of how badly I suck at NBA Playgrounds, last night I played 3 straight matches against Easy AI. I lost all 3 (although the last one was close). I don't understand how:

1. The AI blocks my dunks

2. I can't steal from them to save my life (I might succeed 5% of the time)

3. They somehow make 3-point dunks (which aren't a thing last I checked)

I managed to get enough XP to level up one of my players last night, but it doesn't make me any better at the game. Any tips besides "git gud"?

Just came in here for a bit to recommend MechaNika to @MosesRockefeller.

It's a sweet point and click game, about a little girl genius who's had it with the world and all the bad stuff in it, so she decides to rid the world of the stuff she doesn't like.

It released today but is a few years old on Steam, it's from the makers of Agatha Knife (actually I think MechaNika micht even be the older of the two), has the same weird humour and fun graphics and such. Agatha and Nika have bit parts in each other's games. If Agatha Knife and the beginning of MechaNika are any indication, this game will be a lot of fun too. Also, they are playable in about two to three hours.

You mentioned Agatha Knife maybe being too much for you because of the implied content (a girl wanting to butcher animals without the animals being scared), so perhaps MechaNika is better to start with? If you really enjoyed it, then you could always make up your mind about Agatha Knife afterwards :)

Also, have I mentioned in this topic that I finished The Messenger? It was awesome. GOTY 2018!

I purchased Elemental Knights R for the Switch. If anyone doesn't know, it's a console port of an iPad game called Elemental Knights made by either Japan or the Koreans. I used to play it on my iPad, but I quit when I started on it. Hopefully, since I bought Elemental Knights R for the Switch, I will give it a second chance.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:23 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

I never got into Q3 - the guns and overall feel of UT always felt better to me. I also loved the cool "mutator" mods you could use in UT2k4.

So to give you an example of how badly I suck at NBA Playgrounds, last night I played 3 straight matches against Easy AI. I lost all 3 (although the last one was close). I don't understand how:

1. The AI blocks my dunks

2. I can't steal from them to save my life (I might succeed 5% of the time)

3. They somehow make 3-point dunks (which aren't a thing last I checked)

I managed to get enough XP to level up one of my players last night, but it doesn't make me any better at the game. Any tips besides "git gud"?

To be fair, TO BE FAIR. I didn't play either until like 2010 in high school when I stumbled into a copy of Q3 (literally) and ended up spreading it around the school, our crappy old Windows XP computers there were good enough to play it, Vice City, and Duke 3D, well enough to have them spread hella quick. It was a great time to be alive.

The AI got way, way way way, waaaay better after the big patch last year. Dunks do get blocked a lot, I usually go for 3 pointers unless the enemies are miles away. As for the 3 point dunks, IIRC you get an extra point for a "perfect" shot, which is when you get it right in the middle of the green bit of the metre. 

As for the levelling up. Both of my mains (well, *our* mains, I played as Lebron, Caitlyn played as Steph Curry) were already full gold legendary by the time the big patch came through, so I don't know how levelling up goes after the patch tbh, so I can't comment on them tbh. I don't lose against the AI, but I have come close here and there, and that's compared to us usually getting 100+ points in a match pre-patch, so here's a tip, hack the game to run without the patch, it was way more over the top and fun.

I was playing the Sega Classics Collection on PS2 before. Out Run in particular. God, I hope the version of Out Run they're bringing to Switch in the future is that version, it's so cool in 3D. I bought a Mega Drive mini a week or so back, it's cool but HOLY SHIT THE AUDIO IS WORSE THAN YOU THINK, DON'T BUY ONE. Then I busted out the PSP MD collection, played some Sonic and Altered Beast on there, that was fun. Gonna go and 1000GS the 360 set soon too, and then FINALLY,  I slapped down a preorder on the Sega Collection on Switch. Moral of the story? FUCKING PUT OUT RUN ON EVERYTHING PLEASE, WHY IS OUT RUN ONLY IN ONE OF THOSE MENTIONED COLLECTIONS? COME ON. THERE'S NO FERRARI BRANDING IN THE 3D VERSION, PORT IT TO SWITCH PLEASE. It's perfect for the Ages banner. Do it. Please. Just let me have Out Run on the Switch :'(

Alright, Nintendogs.

It's time that I finally become a man.

While playing Out Run yesterday I meant to Google and see how the Switch one was coming along. Which I forgot to do. But today I remembered to do it. And then I wanted to play the 3DS one, which I did. But first, I checked the eShop because it's been a while and then I saw Ocarina of Time 3D is finally a Nintendo Selects title. Or it has been for a while and I didn't know / forgot. In any case, I'm now the proud owner of Ocarina of Time finally. 

It had better be worth the 25 I paid for it. Or else.

29 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Alright, Nintendogs.

It's time that I finally become a man.

While playing Out Run yesterday I meant to Google and see how the Switch one was coming along. Which I forgot to do. But today I remembered to do it. And then I wanted to play the 3DS one, which I did. But first, I checked the eShop because it's been a while and then I saw Ocarina of Time 3D is finally a Nintendo Selects title. Or it has been for a while and I didn't know / forgot. In any case, I'm now the proud owner of Ocarina of Time finally. 

It had better be worth the 25 I paid for it. Or else.

It's still one of the best games out there.

Heads up: some sales on the Switch, a bunch of which I can recommend, like Wandersong, Human Resource Machine, World Of Goo and The Bridge.

I decided to buy something myself too.

header.jpg?t=1534292299

There's a bunch of games on sale on the Switch, amongst which was Pool Panic, which I've been semi interested in since finding out about it somewhere around February. Having enough to play and it getting a mixed reception were boundaries that were hard to cross for me, but since it's just over €8 now, since the big long AAA games I wanted to play this year are either behind me or titles I'm not interested in any more, and since I enjoyed other leaps of faith I took on games released after Pool Panic like The Messenger and West Of Loathing and Yoku's Island Express and Wandersong... I just decided to jump in.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

The AI got way, way way way, waaaay better after the big patch last year. Dunks do get blocked a lot, I usually go for 3 pointers unless the enemies are miles away. As for the 3 point dunks, IIRC you get an extra point for a "perfect" shot, which is when you get it right in the middle of the green bit of the metre. 

As for the levelling up. Both of my mains (well, *our* mains, I played as Lebron, Caitlyn played as Steph Curry) were already full gold legendary by the time the big patch came through, so I don't know how levelling up goes after the patch tbh, so I can't comment on them tbh. I don't lose against the AI, but I have come close here and there, and that's compared to us usually getting 100+ points in a match pre-patch, so here's a tip, hack the game to run without the patch, it was way more over the top and fun.

I find that if I play several rounds of NBA Playgrounds, I slightly improve just out of luck and/or practice. It's the same effect I have bowling in real life - I don't bowl enough to keep my skills, so it's always back to 0 XP every time I go to a bowling alley. Anyway, I normally do a 10-point match, to keep things quick. I think you earn more XP on two 10-point wins than you do on one 20-point win. From what I can tell, wins earn the most XP, and I think performing well earns more XP too. But losing, you earn next to nothing.

My "mains" are what I think are my two best unlocked players - James Worthy (who I like because of his distinctive sports goggles), and some Epic player I don't recognize. To be honest, I know next to nothing about basketball - I have "heard of" Lebron James and Steph Curry but I couldn't tell you what teams they're on. I've seen Lebron in enough ads that I recognize him but I don't know what Steph looks like. Basically, the basketball players I know are Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Shaq. That's about it. And even there I don't know what team Shaq played on, I mostly know him from movies. Anyway, of those players, James is leveled up all the way, and the Epic Dude I Don't Know is close. My "player level" is at 4 I think, and the game just unlocked Online Mode. I won the first campaign match (I forget what that mode is called) and I think that's only my 2nd or 3rd win out of like 20 matches.

I'll keep playing it some. Maybe if I play a match or two every day I'll get better at it. I don't even know how I would hack it to not use the patch though - I have the game digitally (not sure if it had a retail version).

9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

There's a bunch of games on sale on the Switch, amongst which was Pool Panic, which I've been semi interested in since finding out about it somewhere around February. Having enough to play and it getting a mixed reception were boundaries that were hard to cross for me, but since it's just over €8 now, since the big long AAA games I wanted to play this year are either behind me or titles I'm not interested in any more, and since I enjoyed other leaps of faith I took on games released after Pool Panic like The Messenger and West Of Loathing and Yoku's Island Express and Wandersong... I just decided to jump in.

Let me know what you think of Pool Panic. It looked interesting to me, but more of a "sale price" interesting. But it's not like I NEED another game - your list reminds me that I still haven't started WoL or Yoku, despite buying WoL at launch and Yoku well over a month ago. Too many games! Still, that's better than not enough games. :)

I spent a decent chunk of time with Starlink this weekend, and I fought my first two Primes, and once I fight this third one, I can take on the Dreadnaught (I'm not sure if it's "the" or "a" Dreadnaught - but right now it's "the" ?).

Also, the game seems to be poking fun of Millennials with the Levi character:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46153918_2201039426581990_1437912298596335616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=2994ca62a32ac1de7bbae14b875b031b&oe=5C6EEE5A

Although Levi later redeemed himself:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46123180_2201038816582051_5986019447989600256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=d8d1f7f144292ec2151b517051add7bc&oe=5C6B184E

EDIT: Sorry about the links - I can't get Facebook pictures to embed anymore. I wish the Switch would let us use other image hosting sites.

47 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Let me know what you think of Pool Panic. It looked interesting to me, but more of a "sale price" interesting. But it's not like I NEED another game - your list reminds me that I still haven't started WoL or Yoku, despite buying WoL at launch and Yoku well over a month ago. Too many games! Still, that's better than not enough games. :)

Talking about too many games, let me remind you that you're conveniently ignoring the MechaNika and The Messenger plugs I did here for you B)

I spent a decent chunk of time with Starlink this weekend, and I fought my first two Primes, and once I fight this third one, I can take on the Dreadnaught (I'm not sure if it's "the" or "a" Dreadnaught - but right now it's "the" 1f61c.png).

"the"... first. Dreadnought.

Also, the game seems to be poking fun of Millennials with the Levi character:

It feels like making fun, but I get the nagging feeling Ubisoft isn't being ironic about it, just like when Watch_Dogs 2 turned out to be playing every millennial trope with a straight face.

What, like Twitter?

2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Talking about too many games, let me remind you that you're conveniently ignoring the MechaNika and The Messenger plugs I did here for you B)

Yeah I know. I should have commented earlier. I don't think point-and-click adventure games are for me anymore. I forced myself to replay Grim Fandango when it was remastered back in 2015 (on PS4/Vita, I know the Switch version was just released), and I had a rough time. I loved the story and humor as much as the first time, but I can't stand that gameplay all these years later. I don't know if I'll ever manage to play the 3rd Sam and Max game (which I think I should do in honor of Telltale Games going away), even though I loved the first two back when they came out. I think that genre was lost forever when I made the jump from exclusive PC gamer to exclusive console gamer about 6 years ago. I don't play RTS games anymore either (although Pikmin comes somewhat close).

As for The Messenger, I think Shovel Knight was more of a fluke than a typical game for me. The last few platformer/Metroidvania games I've played recently haven't pulled me in (Hollow Knight was the only one of the bunch that succeeded for me), and I'm being more careful about which ones I buy now. Maybe I should watch some gameplay videos of the game. So far I've only seen the original Direct teaser, and read your praise for the game. I also read a review or two but they didn't convince me to buy it.

"the"... first. Dreadnought.

Dreadnaught is an acceptable variant, which I would guess is an American spelling. Interestingly, Firefox considers it wrong in spell check. Even MORE interesting, "nought" is a less common form of the word "naught", so you would logically think Dreadnaught was the more common form of the word but it's not. Anyway, I'll admit that I didn't pay attention to how the game spells it, which would be correct spelling when discussing the game. It's probably with a "o", as you wrote.

It feels like making fun, but I get the nagging feeling Ubisoft isn't being ironic about it, just like when Watch_Dogs 2 turned out to be playing every millennial trope with a straight face.

I'm fine with that too. I didn't take a screenshot of the "positive" part of Levi's analysis, but I remember it being there. And the game has shown that Levi is a reliable member of the team. Which if I'm honest, most Millennials I know do have positive traits. It's easy to laugh at generational differences, but at the end of the day, peoples is peoples.

yeAhItF.jpg

What, like Twitter?

Well, I don't know how long ago my previous Facebook upload of Switch pics/videos was, but when I did it then, I could post the image location here and the pictures would show up. Now it no longer works, and it's probably a Facebook change not a PSNP change. I never got the Twitter option on Switch to work, which is due to the fact that my two personal email addresses on Twitter were both taken by spambots by the time I got a Switch and tried to create an account. I spent several hours trying to get my email addresses working on Twitter and gave up. I'm not creating a new email address just for Twitter, considering that I would only use it for Switch uploads. In fact, the only reason I have a Facebook account was because I wanted to upload videos from my PS4 before they added Youtube integration. I have no interest in social media besides sharing silly video game videos and pictures, and even then it's pretty sparse so I'm not spending much effort on it. Hopefully, one day Nintendo will add Youtube uploads to Switch. Now that there is a Youtube app, it's probably more likely. I'd still need something for picture uploading though.

Thinking about getting Let's Go Pikachu physically.

There's a sale where I can get the game for €20 if I also hand over two games. I've got a couple of PS4 games lying around which I'm done with anyway, so this might be the way they win me over.

Also, I'm actually pretty sure I'll end up buying Katamari Damacy Reroll day one as long as it's under €30 on launch.

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah I know. I should have commented earlier. I don't think point-and-click adventure games are for me anymore. I forced myself to replay Grim Fandango when it was remastered back in 2015 (on PS4/Vita, I know the Switch version was just released), and I had a rough time. I loved the story and humor as much as the first time, but I can't stand that gameplay all these years later. I don't know if I'll ever manage to play the 3rd Sam and Max game (which I think I should do in honor of Telltale Games going away), even though I loved the first two back when they came out. I think that genre was lost forever when I made the jump from exclusive PC gamer to exclusive console gamer about 6 years ago. I don't play RTS games anymore either (although Pikmin comes somewhat close).

Ugh, Grim Fandango. Also, ugh, non-LucasArts Sam and Max games. Don't let those be the ones to turn you away from point and click games. MechaNika and Agatha Knife aren't even that difficult.

As for The Messenger, I think Shovel Knight was more of a fluke than a typical game for me. The last few platformer/Metroidvania games I've played recently haven't pulled me in (Hollow Knight was the only one of the bunch that succeeded for me), and I'm being more careful about which ones I buy now. Maybe I should watch some gameplay videos of the game. So far I've only seen the original Direct teaser, and read your praise for the game. I also read a review or two but they didn't convince me to buy it.

You liked Axiom Verge too, didn't you?

Dreadnaught is an acceptable variant, which I would guess is an American spelling. Interestingly, Firefox considers it wrong in spell check. Even MORE interesting, "nought" is a less common form of the word "naught", so you would logically think Dreadnaught was the more common form of the word but it's not. Anyway, I'll admit that I didn't pay attention to how the game spells it, which would be correct spelling when discussing the game. It's probably with a "o", as you wrote.

My point was more to correct you in saying it's "a", not "the", I didn't think about your spelling until I saw I spelled it differently.

Oh, also: I started again on Hyrule Warriors. I've only played the first level fo Legend mode before, and I restarted together eith the missus now.

Does anyone know if the camera can be put a bit farther away? It's fine in single player but when playing in split screen, my wife doesn't see enough of the surroundings to figure out how she needs to turn to get where she wants to be.

I've been kinda holding off picking up certain games on the off chance they end up getting a physical release... but for the ones I really want to play (or re-play) I may just bite the bullet and go digital in the meantime.

Kinda looking at Celeste.  I loved it on PC, have an itch to play it again but would prefer on console this time (lugging my laptop into the living room to play on the TV is far from a perfect science).

I've never gone through a holiday season with the Switch.  At least not actively looking at the eShop.  What're the odds that Celeste goes on sale in the next month or two?  Do most games go on sale during the holiday seasons (ala Steam where you can say for certain 99% of not-brand-new games will have some sort of sale price)... or is it really selective which games are included in sales?

Edited by Dreakon13

5 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Also, I'm actually pretty sure I'll end up buying Katamari Damacy Reroll day one as long as it's under €30 on launch.

Same. It looks like a lot of fun, and I've played bits of others games in the series.

Ugh, Grim Fandango. Also, ugh, non-LucasArts Sam and Max games. Don't let those be the ones to turn you away from point and click games. MechaNika and Agatha Knife aren't even that difficult.

I have been moving away from the point-and-click adventure genre for many years. Tastes change. I'll always fondly remember playing Star Trek Next Generation: A Final Unity, the 3rd and 4th Monkey Island games, The Dig, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. But the genre just isn't for me anymore. I never loved the genre in the first place, but I put up with annoying gameplay because at the time it was the most "cinematic" experience for me. For what it's worth, I still think A Final Unity is the most authentic Star Trek game ever made. But now that I'm older, I don't have patience for point-and-click gameplay anymore. And it's not just the inscrutable puzzle difficulty that turns me off, it's all the backtracking, inventory management, etc. It gives me a headache just thinking about playing another one of those games now. Now that I think about it, I think the last one I really liked was Machinarium, and that was probably due to its short length. I still had to look up the solution to some of its puzzles though.

Sidenote: I'm not sure what your issue with the Telltale Sam and Max games is, but I found them funny (the first two, as I said I didn't play the third). That's the only reason I liked the original game - I certainly didn't like the point-and-click gameplay. I've since gone and read the comics compilation of Sam and Max, and watched through the animated TV series. I find them to be funny characters, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in new material - whatever form that might take.

You liked Axiom Verge too, didn't you?

I did like Axiom Verge a lot, but that pre-dates the "last few platformer/Metroidvania games I've played recently". I played it when it first came out on PS4 back in March 2015. As for why I liked it, the game felt like a Super Metroid homage, while having enough original elements to feel like more than a cheap clone.

My point was more to correct you in saying it's "a", not "the", I didn't think about your spelling until I saw I spelled it differently.

Yeah, as I hinted at in my post, I suspected that it would be "the" first, but not the last.

On that note, I am sort of hitting a motivational wall in Starlink. How are you finding it after putting lots of hours into it? I maxed out the flame weapon (on the Arwing - it appears that weapon XP is done separately for each ship), and I'm close to maxing out the ice missile weapon. My Arwing is like 2 levels from maximum, and Fox is level 12 I think. I'm sure I'll finish the Starfox side story, and the main story, but the game is getting more repetitive for me now. Have you found anything to keep you interested?

4 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Oh, also: I started again on Hyrule Warriors. I've only played the first level fo Legend mode before, and I restarted together eith the missus now.

Does anyone know if the camera can be put a bit farther away? It's fine in single player but when playing in split screen, my wife doesn't see enough of the surroundings to figure out how she needs to turn to get where she wants to be.

I haven't played it since the initial level in Legend Mode, so I can't help unfortunately.

51 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Same. It looks like a lot of fun, and I've played bits of others games in the series.

I've played Beautiful Katamari on X360. I'd like to get the PS3 game but its price over here is insane, and it was removed from PS Now by the time I had my trial week.

I have been moving away from the point-and-click adventure genre for many years. Tastes change. I'll always fondly remember playing Star Trek Next Generation: A Final Unity, the 3rd and 4th Monkey Island games, The Dig, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. But the genre just isn't for me anymore. I never loved the genre in the first place, but I put up with annoying gameplay because at the time it was the most "cinematic" experience for me. For what it's worth, I still think A Final Unity is the most authentic Star Trek game ever made. But now that I'm older, I don't have patience for point-and-click gameplay anymore. And it's not just the inscrutable puzzle difficulty that turns me off, it's all the backtracking, inventory management, etc. It gives me a headache just thinking about playing another one of those games now. Now that I think about it, I think the last one I really liked was Machinarium, and that was probably due to its short length. I still had to look up the solution to some of its puzzles though.

Fair enough, you probably won't sit through Thimbleweed Park then. But MechaNika and Agatha Knife are short too, and don't really feature any insane logic loops in their puzzles. It's stuff like "I'm being told I need a book with blank pages. Don't know where to start, but the Library seems like a good guess... Okay, so I'm at the library, and apparently it has a copy shop upstairs, where I've been told they can make a book with blank pages for me, if I supply the paper.... Didn't I see a copy machine downstairs? Must have a bunch of blank paper somewhere..."

Sidenote: I'm not sure what your issue with the Telltale Sam and Max games is, but I found them funny (the first two, as I said I didn't play the third). That's the only reason I liked the original game - I certainly didn't like the point-and-click gameplay. I've since gone and read the comics compilation of Sam and Max, and watched through the animated TV series. I find them to be funny characters, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in new material - whatever form that might take.

The Telltale games are too much bother, not enough fun. I've read the comics, I've played the LucasArts game, I've seen the series, all back in the day, and Telltale doesn't capture that insanity. At least, not enough, it's about half an effort.

I did like Axiom Verge a lot, but that pre-dates the "last few platformer/Metroidvania games I've played recently". I played it when it first came out on PS4 back in March 2015. As for why I liked it, the game felt like a Super Metroid homage, while having enough original elements to feel like more than a cheap clone.

The Messenger is an homage to Ninja Gaiden, which frankly I've never played but it's still the best and funniest platformer I've played on the Switch.

Yes, I think The Messenger trumps Shovel Knight, I think it's that good.

Yeah, as I hinted at in my post, I suspected that it would be "the" first, but not the last.

Which is what I confirmed :)

On that note, I am sort of hitting a motivational wall in Starlink. How are you finding it after putting lots of hours into it? I maxed out the flame weapon (on the Arwing - it appears that weapon XP is done separately for each ship), and I'm close to maxing out the ice missile weapon. My Arwing is like 2 levels from maximum, and Fox is level 12 I think. I'm sure I'll finish the Starfox side story, and the main story, but the game is getting more repetitive for me now. Have you found anything to keep you interested?

I've played most of Starlink on the Switch, decided it was good enough to play on PS4 too, and decided to only play it on PS4 at home, and keep the Switch version for when I'm on the go. Unfortunately for Starlink on the Switch, suddenly the blocking bug I had in The Messenger was fixed, and I immediately went back to it. So I've done all of the PS4 version up to the platinum, which includes having a tower on all planets and scanning all animals. I'm finishing Starlink on Switch this week, but all that I'll do on there is finish its story and the Star Fox missions. Still, most original AAA game I've played this year and it's a shame it's being ignored by most gamers. Then again space exploration will always be a niche game unless its title includes the words Star Wars or Star Trek.

Also, I've played a bit of Pool Panic and wanted to get back to you now the sale is still here.

It's funny, I'm glad I waited on a bit of a sale though. Its humour is what it has going for it, so if you thought the trailer was funny then you're probably safe. Basically there's just over a hundred levels, which seem to be all variations on getting the other balls in the pockets. There's different types of ball and different scenarios, but all depend on getting enough regular balls in the pockets and then the eight ball.

48 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Fair enough, you probably won't sit through Thimbleweed Park then. But MechaNika and Agatha Knife are short too, and don't really feature any insane logic loops in their puzzles. It's stuff like "I'm being told I need a book with blank pages. Don't know where to start, but the Library seems like a good guess... Okay, so I'm at the library, and apparently it has a copy shop upstairs, where I've been told they can make a book with blank pages for me, if I supply the paper.... Didn't I see a copy machine downstairs? Must have a bunch of blank paper somewhere..."

Yeah, I knew Thimbleweed Park wasn't for me the moment I first saw it. What can I say, tastes change over time and eliminating genres is one way for me to manage my backlog and list of games I'm interested in.

50 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The Telltale games are too much bother, not enough fun. I've read the comics, I've played the LucasArts game, I've seen the series, all back in the day, and Telltale doesn't capture that insanity. At least, not enough, it's about half an effort.

I think I can agree with that about "too much bother, not enough fun." Steve Purcell was closely involved with the first two Telltale games, but only did artwork on the 3rd one. Maybe it's just as well that I haven't played it. If nothing else, I think the Telltale collaboration was useful for renewing interest in the original media. I remember the comics being re-released and the TV series coming out on DVD as a result, and I bought both.

I don't remember the games being toned down in insanity, but it has been a while since I played them. You could be right there. On that note, I think I'm due for a re-read of the comics and a re-watch of the show.

58 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The Messenger is an homage to Ninja Gaiden, which frankly I've never played but it's still the best and funniest platformer I've played on the Switch.

Yes, I think The Messenger trumps Shovel Knight, I think it's that good.

I've only played bits of the 3D iterations of Ninja Gaiden, which are what I like to refer to as "balls nasty" difficulty. I'm not sure if the NES originals were super difficult since I've never played them. I'll watch some more gameplay footage and read another review or two.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

I've played most of Starlink on the Switch, decided it was good enough to play on PS4 too, and decided to only play it on PS4 at home, and keep the Switch version for when I'm on the go. Unfortunately for Starlink on the Switch, suddenly the blocking bug I had in The Messenger was fixed, and I immediately went back to it. So I've done all of the PS4 version up to the platinum, which includes having a tower on all planets and scanning all animals. I'm finishing Starlink on Switch this week, but all that I'll do on there is finish its story and the Star Fox missions. Still, most original AAA game I've played this year and it's a shame it's being ignored by most gamers. Then again space exploration will always be a niche game unless its title includes the words Star Wars or Star Trek.

Since I haven't seen a guide yet, I don't know how tedious the Platinum in Starlink is, but I think I would get bored before that point. I'm just finding the gameplay to be very repetitive now. I got enough of those "cores" or whatever they're called (the items that show on the various purchase screens next to the main currency that I think is called Electrum) to upgrade all of the homeship stuff to the maximum (except the last few categories that require purchasing additional characters, and also the "puzzle" category that unlocks extra damage against Legion enemies). Leveling up Fox, my Arwing, and my weapons doesn't seem to make much difference so the upgrade loop is basically over for me. I still love the combat though, and the story is kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game a lot but I'm starting to see more flaws now than when I first got it.

If Ubisoft makes a sequel, I hope they improve the formula with things like unique side quests, more "stuff to do" on each planet, etc. Still, it's definitely a good starting point and more enjoyable than Assassin's Creed 1 was, for example.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

Also, I've played a bit of Pool Panic and wanted to get back to you now the sale is still here.

It's funny, I'm glad I waited on a bit of a sale though. Its humour is what it has going for it, so if you thought the trailer was funny then you're probably safe. Basically there's just over a hundred levels, which seem to be all variations on getting the other balls in the pockets. There's different types of ball and different scenarios, but all depend on getting enough regular balls in the pockets and then the eight ball.

Since the eShop updates tomorrow, I'm assuming today is the last day for the sale. Are the levels pretty short, and good for "pick up and play" gameplay? Have you noticed any difficulty spikes so far? Does the game have "shot timers" for making a shot (and if so, do you feel rushed in making shots)? I noticed the game site mentions "Panic Mode" being timed, so that's "right out" for me, but I'm not sure if that element crops up during the normal levels.