Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Gonna throw this out there again, since you guys are the best resource I have for Switch info. xD

How do eShop holiday sales typically work?  Is it like Steam, where 90% of games have some sort of sale price... or is it really hit and miss which games end up being on sale?

Eyeing up Celeste lately since that's on the short list of "probably not getting a physical release anytime soon" and I'd like to play it again (on console) in the near future.  Would be cool if I could get a break on the price... dunno if I feel like waiting around for Black Friday/Christmas sales if the odds are low that Celeste specifically will be cheaper.

Edited by Dreakon13

46 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Gonna throw this out there again, since you guys are the best resource I have for Switch info. xD

How do eShop holiday sales typically work?  Is it like Steam, where 90% of games have some sort of sale price... or is it really hit and miss which games end up being on sale?

Eyeing up Celeste lately since that's on the short list of "probably not getting a physical release anytime soon" and I'd like to play it again (on console) in the near future.  Would be cool if I could get a break on the price... dunno if I feel like waiting around for Black Friday/Christmas sales if the odds are low that Celeste specifically will be cheaper.

It's always up to the dev. Robonauts is constantly going on sales, Celeste has never been on a sale. At least not in Holland.

Just check psprices.com, it also tracks Switch prices for all regions, including history and lowest price ever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Not when YOU are the one playing as Blue. The rival character is an Oak, not the player character.

... Or are you saying that in Pokémon Blue, the player character is still Red? Because that would be crazy if it was "official".

I was talking about Lets go games. You encounter Blue very early in the game. 

PTVgVyD.jpg

Yeah Red is always the main character in the original games. 

Edited by Aexuz

2 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

I was talking about Lets go games. You encounter Blue very early in the game. 

PTVgVyD.jpg

Yeah Red is always the main character in the original games. 

Yeah I just had that happen now, after my prrvious post (ended before fighting Brock yesterday).

Surely, the main character of Blue is Blue, not Red?

Just now, Agent 47 said:

Yeah I just had that happen now, after my prrvious post (ended before fighting Brock yesterday).

Surely, the main character of Blue is Blue, not Red?

The official name for the playable character in the original games is Red no matter what version it is. 

Well,I didn't know I could find a Sandshrew this early!

I'm on route three now, and one suddenly appeared. I thought I'd only see a Sandshrew much later. Yay!

And Metapod just evolved into Butterfree, meaning I've got half of my final team ready!

3Ni56PI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Soo, I'll try to get the conversation going a bit more... What's everyone planning on catching?

9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I am of the opinion that gen I was the superior generation of Pokémon. For instance, what the hell is Sploink supposed to be? Gen I was also the only time I liked at least two of the starters. I usually like at leadt the water one but the last three or four times I didn't really like any of the stsrters. But yeah, type-wise it's a bit tough. I only named Charizard because there's no other fire types that I like.

If I go for grass, I still don't like Exeggcutor. I like Bellsprout though. Golem, well, I always thought Sandslash was cool even though usually I prefer three-evolution Pokémon. Talking about Alakazam, Golem, Bellsprout... Aren't those all Pokémon that had their final evolutions locked behind trading? How does that work in Let's Go, does everyone just have access to everything?

I liked every generation. Gen 3 was the one I played most of all the games with nearly 400h on Emerald version.

Sure some Pokemon look weird but there should be enough Pokemon so that everyone at least finds 6 they like.

Regarding a fire type Arcanine is the best besides Charizard from Gen 1 in my opinion.

Bellsprout's final evolution is with a Leaf Stone but you are right for Alakazam and Golem.

Well, here's the exclusives list.

MJ0jnif_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Seems like I won't get my Bellsprout... :(

I think I have one in GO but I refuse to synch those two up, at least for the main game. Guess I'm going with something else. I'll figure something out.

@MarkusT1992 yeah, there's always at least six fun ones. And if I'm honest, I don't like a lot in Gen I either. But at least those starters were more fun to choose from.

I think I'll go blind into next year's game, just figure it out on the go.

I'm having a hard time catching a good abra. So far its the hardest pokemon to catch because they escape from the fights really fast :S

The only one I caught so far has terrible IVs and a bad nature. 

Edited by Aexuz

27 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

I'm having a hard time catching a good abra. So far its the hardest pokemon to catch because they escape from the fights really fast :S

I'm not even looking at IVs or nature... I figured, if it's caught it's caught.

But I do remember Abra constantly flitting away in the original game.

12 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

I'm not even looking at IVs or nature... I figured, if it's caught it's caught.

But I do remember Abra constantly flitting away in the original game.

I only do that with my favorite pokemons and Alakazam is one of them.

48 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Well, here's the exclusives list.

MJ0jnif_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Seems like I won't get my Bellsprout... :(

I think I have one in GO but I refuse to synch those two up, at least for the main game. Guess I'm going with something else. I'll figure something out.

@MarkusT1992 yeah, there's always at least six fun ones. And if I'm honest, I don't like a lot in Gen I either. But at least those starters were more fun to choose from.

I think I'll go blind into next year's game, just figure it out on the go.

Since Alola Ninetales is fairy in this list, does that mean that also Jigglypuff is fairy? And all the other first gen Pokemon that got the fairy type later?

The only other grass types then are Vileplume, Parasect and Tangela. If you still want a grass type then I would go with Vileplume. If you want another fire type than Charizard you could try Alola Morawak. It's fire ghost.

44 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

Can you see the IV in Let's Go or are you using an external tool to calculate them?

17 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Since Alola Ninetales is fairy in this list, does that mean that also Jigglypuff is fairy? And all the other first gen Pokemon that got the fairy type later?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

might be that it's shown as how they are now?

I checked that site's red/blue exclusives and they list several double types while double types didn't exist back then. Then again, my Butterfree in Let's Go is double type. So fairy type might just exist in Let's Go.

The only other grass types then are Vileplume, Parasect and Tangela. If you still want a grass type then I would go with Vileplume. If you want another fire type than Charizard you could try Alola Morawak. It's fire ghost.

I'm not dead set on grass. What my MO usually is, is just six different types so I'm flexible. I don't need to maximise, what's more important is that I like the look of the final evolutions. I also like if a Pokémon can evolve twice, though it's not an absolute requirement (see: Sandslash).

So, I've got Electric, Ground, and Bug/Flying. I'm now thinking, maybe Dratini->Dragonite would be cool for a Dragon/Flying Pokémon. Then I could still add Squirtle->Blastoise for Water, and Charmander->Charizard for Fire/Flying.

Can you see the IV in Let's Go or are you using an external tool to calculate them?

The stats I can see are HP, Speed, Defense, Attack etc. If that's IV then it's in-game.

23 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

might be that it's shown as how they are now?

I checked that site's red/blue exclusives and they list several double types while double types didn't exist back then. Then again, my Butterfree in Let's Go is double type. So fairy type might just exist in Let's Go.

Wasn't Butterfree always a double type?

Maybe you can tell if you find a Jigglypuff or a Clefairy. They both got the fairy type.

23 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The stats I can see are HP, Speed, Defense, Attack etc. If that's IV then it's in-game.

IV should be the hidden values that determin how strong a Pokemon can get. For example the Attack is like 100 but the Attack IV can go only up to 31. For competetive it's important to have hight IVs best ist 6/31, which means every stat has max IV. A Pokemon with 31 IV in Attack has a higher value on level 100 than the same with only 10 IV. For non competitive players they aren't really important though.

Since I'm still on the fence about buying Let's Go how do you like it? Having no wild battles is one of my main gripes with the games. How good can you train your Pokemon with only Trainer battles? Do you get exp for catching Pokemon?

Edited by MarkusT1992

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

When you reach the third city you get a feature to "judge" your pokemons and the game rates the pokemon in different categories: ok stats, good stats, great stats and amazing stats. 

This Abra for example:

egtzL0g.jpg

I'm not looking for a perfect Abra but at least one with great stats and Timid nature. 

Edited by Aexuz

7 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Wasn't Butterfree always a double type?

Maybe you can tell if you find a Jigglypuff or a Clefairy. They both got the fairy type.

Unless I'm mistaked, double type didn't exist until somewhere after the first games.

But anyway, I just got a Clefairy and it's a Fairy type, so there. :D

IV should be the hidden values that determin how strong a Pokemon can get. For example the Attack is like 100 but the Attack IV can go only up to 31. For competetive it's important to have hight IVs best ist 6/31, which means every stat has max IV. A Pokemon with 31 IV in Attack has a higher value on level 100 than the same with only 10 IV. For non competitive players they aren't really important though.

Ah, okay.

Since I'm still on the fence about buying Let's Go how do you like it? Having no wild battles is one of my main gripes with the games. How good can you train your Pokemon with only Trainer battles? Do you get exp for catching Pokemon?

I thought it was bad before starting the game too but actually I don't miss the wild battles. Yeah you get XP from catching Pokémon, and you have party XP share from the start.

It actually feels like a pretty great game, much better than I thought it would be. I wouldn't have gotten Let's Go if the game shop hadn't had a trade-in deal, but now I'm glad I did. It's just Kanto again, sure, but it's a well made and thought through game, and I like the streamlining it's gotten. Trainer fights aren't dumbed down by the way, there's no extreme handholding.

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

So what's nature got to do with it? My Pikachu's quirky, my Sandshrew's sassy, my Butterfree's hasty, but I fail to see how it can matter much.

Nature increases and decreases 2 stats from a pokemon. For Sandlash for example Adamant would be the best nature because it increases its attack stats and decreases its special attack stats. Sandlash is used as a normal attacker not as a special attacker because of his base stats. 

6 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

Nature increases and decreases 2 stats from a pokemon. For Sandlash for example Adamant would be the best nature because it increases its attack stats and decreases its special attack stats. Sandlash is used as a normal attacker not as a special attacker because of his base stats. 

... Sounds like more thought than that I put into it ?

15 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Again it's not really important if you only play the story. It's only for competetive players important.

I agree but it won't harm to check out all your pokemon of the same species and keep the best one before transfering specially because the game encourages you to chain capture one type of pokemon over and over for better chances to get stronger pokemon. 

Edited by Aexuz

9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Old Game Boy games indeed had batteries that could deplete. But there were even back then people who'd change the batteries for you.

This was my first experience with Game Boys mind you, and my first with the game not saving. I figured it was just broken or something until years later when I found out how saving worked on the things. 

Of course also, it was like 2010, I doubt there was a million corner shops offering to fix up my mid 90s Pokemon game, but on top of that, the price associated wouldn't have been worth it in all likelihood, even back then, I had a GBC emulator on my DS, could have just downloaded it for free if I really wanted to play it. 

Shout out to my first DS though, a DS Lite, from a mate, who gave it to me because he snapped it in half. Bottom half could boot into GBA mode fine though, so I got to play all my GBA games with backlit glory. I went from finding a Game Boy on the side of the road to getting a broken DS to realizing R4 could save my father money on buying me games (though I ended up buying more for PSP anyway, which, funnily enough if I had the internet, I'd know how easy modding that thing was too), to getting a cheap preowned Wii and eventually from there moved up to a Wii U and 3DS. All stemmed back from the Game Boy in the gutter. 

I got 3 gym badges so far in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!. Enjoying the gameplay and everything looks surprisingly attractive. The game has some convenient improvements compared to earlier Pokémon games: 

• The best thing of all is no more random encounters as you can just steer away from visible Pokémon that roam around! 
  • Can access Pokémon Box anywhere. 
  • The Judge feature in your Pokémon's summary shows the IVs (the companion Pokémon has 6 perfect IVs, btw). Ok, this was already in Sun & Moon, but still very handy. 
  • Co-op works great and it's quick and effortless to join the game at any time as a 2nd player. 

The controls felt really weird at first, moving around and pressing buttons with one hand only. Hoping for Pro Controller support at some point. 

Got my first rideable Pokémon a while ago (Persian). My current team consist of Pikachu, Ivysaur, Kadabra, Growlithe, Sandshrew and Magikarp. 

My companion Pikachu, BiscottiRideable Persian!

12 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I got 3 gym badges so far in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!. Enjoying the gameplay and everything looks surprisingly attractive. The game has some convenient improvements compared to earlier Pokémon games: 

• The best thing of all is no more random encounters as you can just steer away from visible Pokémon that roam around! 
  • Can access Pokémon Box anywhere. 
  • The Judge feature in your Pokémon's summary shows the IVs (the companion Pokémon has 6 perfect IVs, btw). Ok, this was already in Sun & Moon, but still very handy. 
  • Co-op works great and it's quick and effortless to join the game at any time as a 2nd player. 

The controls felt really weird at first, moving around and pressing buttons with one hand only. Hoping for Pro Controller support at some point. 

Got my first rideable Pokémon a while ago (Persian). My current team consist of Pikachu, Ivysaur, Kadabra, Growlithe, Sandshrew and Magikarp. 

My companion Pikachu, BiscottiRideable Persian!

Since this is not a mainline game, random encounters will be in the 2019 game