Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, Karlsson89 said:

I bought a Switch today because of Mario and I wonder: are the little things you put on top of the joycons supposed to be so tough to remove? I hardly dare put them on again... And are they more comfortable in the charging grip? I am afraid the standard thingy is to small for me.

Welcome!

I've had the Switch since launch and I'm still figuring out the best way to get those shoulder button strap-ons off. Problem is you instinctively take the entire thing in your hand, and the placement of the small release button does not help things. Honestly, it's the only thing with the Switch I really have an issue with and I'm glad that I only have to use it for multiplayer - solo I either play in handheld mode or docked with the pro controller.

Any other games you're thinking about getting?

18 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I've had the Switch since launch and I'm still figuring out the best way to get those shoulder button strap-ons off. Problem is you instinctively take the entire thing in your hand, and the placement of the small release button does not help things. Honestly, it's the only thing with the Switch I really have an issue with and I'm glad that I only have to use it for multiplayer - solo I either play in handheld mode or docked with the pro controller.

Yeah, I put those strap-on things on once (during my experimentation phase where I was trying the Switch in different configurations), and I've never used them again. That said, I hardly ever use the Joy-cons separated from the Switch tablet. I'm almost all handheld. 

1 hour ago, Karlsson89 said:

I bought a Switch today because of Mario and I wonder: are the little things you put on top of the joycons supposed to be so tough to remove? I hardly dare put them on again... And are they more comfortable in the charging grip? I am afraid the standard thingy is to small for me.

It's an extra (and expensive) purchase, but I recommend the Pro controller if you want to play docked. There are some cheaper third-party wired controllers but I can't comment on them. The included Joy-con dock is a weird shape but it's passable. If that's too small for you though, you'd be better off with the Pro controller. 

2 hours ago, Cubone said:

Welcome!

Any other games you're thinking about getting?

Now that I have the console, I will definitely get Zelda at some point. I've decided against getting it for the Wii U in case I get a Switch someday, so I'll probably play it as soon as I'm in the mood for a game of such proportions. Also Mario Kart 8 (mainly so I don't need to setup another console just for one game). Apart from those I don't even know of too many games. Maybe one day I'll get "Yono and the celestial elephants", that looked cute.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I put those strap-on things on once (during my experimentation phase where I was trying the Switch in different configurations), and I've never used them again. That said, I hardly ever use the Joy-cons separated from the Switch tablet. I'm almost all handheld. 

It's an extra (and expensive) purchase, but I recommend the Pro controller if you want to play docked. There are some cheaper third-party wired controllers but I can't comment on them. The included Joy-con dock is a weird shape but it's passable. If that's too small for you though, you'd be better off with the Pro controller. 

I've already decided to get a Pro Controller, I was thinking about a second player. Of course I could get another Pro Controller, but I wouldn't want to 'waste' the joycons if there is a way to put them in a comfortable frame... I also learned today that since the last update one can use Gamecube controllers via the adapter for Wii U. I hope they work well with Mario Kart (the only game I see myself playing with others right now), at least in the Rayman demo it was quite a challenge: Keeping Z (=ZR) pressed to run, punching with B and jumping with A work fine on the dual Joy-con (is there an official name for that controller configuration?), but on the Wavebird it is a nightmare. Maybe one can remap the buttons, I hadn't looked for such an option.

7 minutes ago, Karlsson89 said:

Now that I have the console, I will definitely get Zelda at some point. I've decided against getting it for the Wii U in case I get a Switch someday, so I'll probably play it as soon as I'm in the mood for a game of such proportions. Also Mario Kart 8 (mainly so I don't need to setup another console just for one game). Apart from those I don't even know of too many games. Maybe one day I'll get "Yono and the celestial elephants", that looked cute.

I want to get Yono at some point, if it's cheaper or if I have less other games to play.

There's a ton of good indie games on the Switch which you may or may not have played already on other consoles but which I did not care for until I could play them on the Switch - like Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Death Squared...

Three Switch exclusive games I've been having a blast with are Snipperclips (co-op puzzle game, soon with expansion), Fast RMX (the new F-Zero) and Golf Story (funny RPG that occasionally has something to do with playing golf).

There are some third party AAA remakes coming out (DOOM, Skyrim, L.A. Noire) - you may have missed them initially, you may want to play them on the go, you may just feel like showing third party non-indies that developing for the Switch is profitable.

What kind of games are you into? Platform, RPG, racing, MetroidVania, other?

7 minutes ago, Karlsson89 said:

I've already decided to get a Pro Controller, I was thinking about a second player. Of course I could get another Pro Controller, but I wouldn't want to 'waste' the joycons if there is a way to put them in a comfortable frame... I also learned today that since the last update one can use Gamecube controllers via the adapter for Wii U. I hope they work well with Mario Kart (the only game I see myself playing with others right now), at least in the Rayman demo it was quite a challenge: Keeping Z (=ZR) pressed to run, punching with B and jumping with A work fine on the dual Joy-con (is there an official name for that controller configuration?), but on the Wavebird it is a nightmare. Maybe one can remap the buttons, I hadn't looked for such an option.

Personally:

I play solo with the pro controller.

I bought a second set of joycons right away. Whenever I play with others, it's one joycon for everyone. The multiplayer games we've done - Mario Kart, Snipperclips, Death Squared, Putty Pals, Picross S, Fast RMX - were all pretty manageable on a half-con

13 hours ago, Karlsson89 said:

Someone's probably already said it, but you might have them on upside down. It's dumb, but they will lock on fine both ways, but only if you put them on the right way will they rip off easily.

Also, just because I'm back on here, I am so scared for my wallet, these coming weeks.

55 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Someone's probably already said it, but you might have them on upside down. It's dumb, but they will lock on fine both ways, but only if you put them on the right way will they rip off easily.

I always put them on the right way, but still often have trouble getting them off.

55 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, just because I'm back on here, I am so scared for my wallet, these coming weeks.

The next four weeks for me:

Super Mario Odyssey

Assassin's Creed Origins

L.A. Noire

Possibly Skyrim

Star Wars Battlefront II

Shakedown Hawaii if it finally arrives

Hoping not too many cool games get released before Kirby, Yoshi and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Luckily, I've already paid off Origins, Odyssey and Battlefront, and I've started on L.A. Noire.

10 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I always put them on the right way, but still often have trouble getting them off.

The next four weeks for me:

Super Mario Odyssey

Assassin's Creed Origins

L.A. Noire

Possibly Skyrim

Star Wars Battlefront II

Shakedown Hawaii if it finally arrives

Hoping not too many cool games get released before Kirby, Yoshi and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Luckily, I've already paid off Origins, Odyssey and Battlefront, and I've started on L.A. Noire.

Not gonna lie. I've used the things like 3 times and genuinely have no idea where they ended up, they might be shittier than I remember.

Mine is like:

Super Mario 

Knight Terrors (I know it came out today, I thought it was 2 days away and was planning on getting eShop cards then)

Morphite

LA Noire

Doom

Skyrim (maybe)

Rocket League 

Sonic Forces

Lego Marvel 2

Brawlout

Honorable mentions:

Space Dave, Telltale Batman two pack, Shakedown Hawaii (if they drop in 2017)

Battlefront II, as the only non Switch game on my radar.

Gear Club Unlimited, was on here until I found out the price at JB and 79 can fuck itself for an enhanced F2P mobile game.

13 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Also, did we already discuss in here how GameCube controllers now work with the Switch?

I don't know what to make of this... Does it mean Smash Bros. is coming soon? Or does it mean GC VC is on its way? Or is it neither...

As the resident guy who uses stupid controllers on Switch, I wouldn't use a Game Cube controller for anything less than ten bucks per session.

More importantly with regards to PS2 gen stuff, Xbone can now play some OG XB games, and would you look at that, you can even use the discs. Hint, fucking hint, Sony.

10 hours ago, Cubone said:

I want to get Yono at some point, if it's cheaper or if I have less other games to play.

There's a ton of good indie games on the Switch which you may or may not have played already on other consoles but which I did not care for until I could play them on the Switch - like Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Death Squared...

Three Switch exclusive games I've been having a blast with are Snipperclips (co-op puzzle game, soon with expansion), Fast RMX (the new F-Zero) and Golf Story (funny RPG that occasionally has something to do with playing golf).

There are some third party AAA remakes coming out (DOOM, Skyrim, L.A. Noire) - you may have missed them initially, you may want to play them on the go, you may just feel like showing third party non-indies that developing for the Switch is profitable.

What kind of games are you into? Platform, RPG, racing, MetroidVania, other?

Personally:

I play solo with the pro controller.

I bought a second set of joycons right away. Whenever I play with others, it's one joycon for everyone. The multiplayer games we've done - Mario Kart, Snipperclips, Death Squared, Putty Pals, Picross S, Fast RMX - were all pretty manageable on a half-con

Yes, Fast RMX is another example of a game I skipped on Wii U (and which I had already forgotten about by now). Golf Story sounds interesting, but most of the indie games I have already played or plan on playing on my PS4; sometimes simply because they were part of PS Plus. Mobility for me is no factor (which is part of why for me getting the Switch was a tough decision given the relation between its price and my usage of it), I have only a couple of bus or train rides a year (even less flights), so games like Skyrim I will probably continue to play on the more powerful system.

Apart from horror games (for me even the recently finished Bioshock was quite scary) only very little is off-limits. I like platformers very much (who would have guessed with Mario Odyssey selling me on the system :D), games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider more or less equally so. With racing games there have only been two examples I found great in the past ten years or so: Mario Kart and Burnout (except for Paradise or whatever the last one was called), but I'm always looking for alternatives (Beach Buggy Racing and Riptide GT2 did not impress me very much, but they were decent unlike whatever Need for Speed I tried last). Apart from Pokémon I never got into turn-based RPGs (and I feel like even there the fun decreases with every generation after Ruby), on the other hand games like Champions of Norrath, Gauntlet, Diablo and - most of all, perhaps my all-time favourite - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles are what I spend a lot of time on, especially with friends. I would love to see a Mario Party that is as good as the first games, it's a shame this collection will only be released on the 3DS.

For now I have ordered a Pro Controller and Mario Kart, Odyssey is supposed to arrive on Friday, I guess that will last a while (and I still have two more Bioshock games to look forward to, Shovel Knight to complete, Battlefront II preordered and who knows how much else on my backlog).

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yes, I heard about that and I was really scared to break something, so I was quite careful. I only managed to put it on once (Two '+'-symbols next to each other, I believe), so I'm thinking that must have been the right way. I also don't like any of the lock mechanisms so far, those little dots on the little controllers which I don't know where to grab, and the additional lever with those slides doesn't help either :D

5 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Also, did we already discuss in here how GameCube controllers now work with the Switch?

I don't know what to make of this... Does it mean Smash Bros. is coming soon? Or does it mean GC VC is on its way? Or is it neither...

I'm hoping for both. I have SSB for Wii U, but I never bought the DLC which seems way to expensive. It would be great to be able to have Lucas back.

Quick note: I'm seeing chatter online that Super Mario Odyssey can be preloaded. Will check when I get home and confirm if needed.

Seeing as I've got Friday off of work, I might just take a nap after work tomorrow and start playing come midnight.

@Karlsson89 I could recommend a whole bunch of games but it might be better if you skim through this thread to see everyone's opinions on a whole bunch of games. If you have the time to look at that many pages, that is :)

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Quick note: I'm seeing chatter online that Super Mario Odyssey can be preloaded. Will check when I get home and confirm if needed.

Seeing as I've got Friday off of work, I might just take a nap after work tomorrow and start playing come midnight.

Have fun with that.

eShop price here is 80. I'll be paying 62 day one at Big W. I'm all for digital, but I will not pay basically a full third more (of the 62 buck tag) for them to get more percentage of the money, for them to have potentially one less preowned copy out there in the wild, for them to save money on printing and producing the game. Digital should ALWAYS be cheaper. You don't need to print it, you don't need to ship it, you don't need to lose money to the middle man, you don't need to worry about preowned markets, you don't need this, that, and the other. 

Supposedly there's agreements and shit that stop digital copies from being cheaper day one, and I mean, I buy that, if I was EB, I wouldn't take a company's games and sell them for 100, knowing they would sell them for 60 day one digitally, I'd tell them to mark their shit up or find another shop. 

Catch 22 I guess. Either way, when it's pretty much a full third extra of the price, for me to get the inferior version (again, I love digital, but the physical cart has a million benefits, not the least of which is not needing any memory card space) they can kiss their digital copy goodbye.

Anyways, I'll see you day one, but I guess you'll have a good 15 hour or so head start on me.

18 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Have fun with that.

eShop price here is 80. I'll be paying 62 day one at Big W. I'm all for digital, but I will not pay basically a full third more (of the 62 buck tag) for them to get more percentage of the money, for them to have potentially one less preowned copy out there in the wild, for them to save money on printing and producing the game. Digital should ALWAYS be cheaper. You don't need to print it, you don't need to ship it, you don't need to lose money to the middle man, you don't need to worry about preowned markets, you don't need this, that, and the other. 

Supposedly there's agreements and shit that stop digital copies from being cheaper day one, and I mean, I buy that, if I was EB, I wouldn't take a company's games and sell them for 100, knowing they would sell them for 60 day one digitally, I'd tell them to mark their shit up or find another shop. 

Catch 22 I guess. Either way, when it's pretty much a full third extra of the price, for me to get the inferior version (again, I love digital, but the physical cart has a million benefits, not the least of which is not needing any memory card space) they can kiss their digital copy goodbye.

Anyways, I'll see you day one, but I guess you'll have a good 15 hour or so head start on me.

I don't have all those problems. For me it's €60 digital and €60 retail. I pay the same while I don't have to wait for the stores to open and I'm being green. That's prettygood rewards already.

Digital won't be cheaper than retail until at least a few years from now, with he exception of two things - games like Rime and L.A. Noire that are €10 cheaper on he eShop because the companies are calculating cartridge costs onto the buyer, and indie games that get an expanded retail version. A few years from now we might be on much more digital sales han retail for games that offer both day one but we're not there yet.

I don't see why retail stores wouldn't accept a cheaper digital price as long as they can sell digital codes for the game at the same price.

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

As the resident guy who uses stupid controllers on Switch, I wouldn't use a Game Cube controller for anything less than ten bucks per session.

More importantly with regards to PS2 gen stuff, Xbone can now play some OG XB games, and would you look at that, you can even use the discs. Hint, fucking hint, Sony.

So I'm not the only one who thinks Gamecube controllers are extremely overrated? I don't get how the entire Smash Bros community holds them up as the best controllers of all time. The only reason I even own Wavebirds is because I bought a Wii (never had a Gamecube) a while back and needed a way to play Gamecube games. I stuck with them for MGS: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil ReMake, but that's as much as I could really tolerate. I do have the Wii U Gamecube adapter, and I think it's cool that Switch now supports them, but I doubt I'll ever use them. I'd rather use a Wii U Pro controller or the Switch Pro controller (both of which are better than the Gamecube controller IMO). 

On the Wii U, it's possible to modify it to play Gamecube games that are ripped via a Wii. It can't read the discs, but because it's 100% backwards compatible with Wii, and the Wii is 100% backwards compatible with Gamecube, it can run Gamecube games without emulation. It just doesn't do it without software mods. Anyway, the nice thing about that setup is that you can use the Wii U Pro controller to play Gamecube games instead of the Gamecube controller. I fired up Super Mario Sunshine a few days ago and found the Wavebird pretty frustrating to try to use. 

Microsoft was smart to implement Xbox Original backwards compatibility. I might get that Crimson Skies game. Nothing else from the list really appeals to me but it's cool that they implemented it. As far as Sony getting a hint, the only possibility for PS4 is I think PS1 games (it's probably not powerful enough to emulate PS3, and PS2 games are getting ported to it slowly but surely), which it's dumb that they haven't emulated yet. 

As for digital versus physical, I preordered Super Mario Odyssey from Best Buy on cartridge. I get it for $48 because of the gamer's club membership (which is cheap and pays for itself after a few games), PLUS a $10 credit to use at Best Buy because the game is one of the handful that have a special preorder promotion. AC Origins does too, which is why I took the plunge to preorder that even though I won't play it for a while. I won't get to play Super Mario Odyssey until I get home Friday night but that's fine. Getting the game for $38 instead of 60 is just fine with me. I do like digital games but when I can get that kind of discount, it's a no brainer to go physical. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Wow, Super Mario Odyssey is only 5.2 GB... I'm seeing it now myself but I can hardly believe it.

Eight months on the Switch, lots of games bought digitally, no digital games deleted, and still more than 90GB of free space on my 128GB microSD card (with no games at all installed on the Switch itself).

Also, as long as y'all are comparing prices: I'm'paying' €60 for Odyssey but I got eShop gift cards by trading in some used PS4 games, so I'm now ready for Odyssey and L.A. Noire but I didn't have to pay anything for them save for what the PS4 games (which I had already played through) had cost me.

Also, no I'm not a big GC controller fan. Even back in the day, I thought it was a step back from the SNES and N64 controllers. For me it's not about being able to use GC controllers on the Switch, it's about what that update implies.

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

As for digital versus physical, I preordered Super Mario Odyssey from Best Buy on cartridge. I get it for $48 because of the gamer's club membership (which is cheap and pays for itself after a few games), PLUS a $10 credit to use at Best Buy because the game is one of the handful that have a special preorder promotion. AC Origins does too, which is why I took the plunge to preorder that even though I won't play it for a while. I won't get to play Super Mario Odyssey until I get home Friday night but that's fine. Getting the game for $38 instead of 60 is just fine with me. I do like digital games but when I can get that kind of discount, it's a no brainer to go physical. 

That's exactly what I do. I buy physical because 1)You never know what can happen to the PSN and 2) I just like physical copies.

BUT. If the same game digitally is more cheaper then it's physical counterpart(A game that is a few years old, some can be expensive) I will buy the digital format. I mostly buy games that are *digital* only as oppose to phyical copies that have digital versions. But since some companies exist to bring out digitial only games to phyical format(LRG SRG and EAG) then it's a little difficult to decide lol.

I am picking up both Assassin Creed Origins and Super Mario Odyssey tomorrow night along with the special 3 amiibo for SMO cause the BestBuy I go to is 24hrs lol. So that's the loophole :)

21 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

That's exactly what I do. I buy physical because 1)You never know what can happen to the PSN and 2) I just like physical copies.

BUT. If the same game digitally is more cheaper then it's physical counterpart(A game that is a few years old, some can be expensive) I will buy the digital format. I mostly buy games that are *digital* only as oppose to phyical copies that have digital versions. But since some companies exist to bring out digitial only games to phyical format(LRG SRG and EAG) then it's a little difficult to decide lol.

I am picking up both Assassin Creed Origins and Super Mario Odyssey tomorrow night along with the special 3 amiibo for SMO cause the BestBuy I go to is 24hrs lol. So that's the loophole :)

I actually prefer digital for the usability factor, never happing to swap discs. But digital is rarely cheaper. However, and correct me if I'm wrong because I've never bought from LRG and the like, but aren't those usually more expensive than buying those games digitally? 

But I do love PSN sales, and eShop sales (although their discounts aren't usually that great). That's where most of my digital games come from. Every time there is a PSN sale, I see if there are any games on sale that I own physically, and compare the price to the Gamestop trade in value. If I can get a digital copy of a game and come out ahead for trading in my physical copy, I jump on it every time. It doesn't always happen of course, but I always get digital when it's cheaper or equal. 

I'm not getting any Amiibo for SMO, but they do look pretty cool. I had a Mario from Smash Bros and I'm still annoyed that my dog chewed off his face, prompting my wife to throw it away. Mario is one of the more useful Amiibo, and having him on the shelf doesn't look too bad either! 

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I actually prefer digital for the usability factor, never happing to swap discs. But digital is rarely cheaper. However, and correct me if I'm wrong because I've never bought from LRG and the like, but aren't those usually more expensive than buying those games digitally? 

I Only buy from LRG are the Vita games I am interested in because the downloads for the digital is to high for the memory card. I have a 8gb card. I hope to get a bigger one but the one I have is fine :)

And yes. It's only $10 more then the digital counterpart. 

Example

Game is $14.99

LRG Physical Copy is $24.99

Sometimes they have special editions for the game.

But I do love PSN sales, and eShop sales (although their discounts aren't usually that great). That's where most of my digital games come from. Every time there is a PSN sale, I see if there are any games on sale that I own physically, and compare the price to the Gamestop trade in value. If I can get a digital copy of a game and come out ahead for trading in my physical copy, I jump on it every time. It doesn't always happen of course, but I always get digital when it's cheaper or equal. 

Tell me about it. Here is an example

I bought Megadimention Nupetunia Vll for $5 earlier this year. The physical copy is still over $20 I believe. That's what I do :P

I'm not getting any Amiibo for SMO, but they do look pretty cool. I had a Mario from Smash Bros and I'm still annoyed that my dog chewed off his face, prompting my wife to throw it away. Mario is one of the more useful Amiibo, and having him on the shelf doesn't look too bad either! 

lol Damn that sucks.

The 3 Wedding Amiibo are my first personal ones. It is awesome looking :)

3 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

You are where I was a few years ago :)

A while ago, I started being like Moses, getting most digital purchases from sales.

It's on the Switch that I finally decided to go digital for games I won't sell on anyway, Super Mario Odyssey is the second retail game (after Mario Kart) I bought digitally day one and/or at full price.

I pre-ordered the Bowser Amiibo, by the way.

3 hours ago, Valyrious said:

My ex girlfriend was able to secure an early copy of Mario because of me. It looks good, there just seems to be concerns about how long it is. She blazed through three kingdoms (not hunting down everything) in the span of...

ahem. 30 minutes.

Don't know if you're into Mario and/or platforming yourself so I don't know if your post is serious or trolling, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll respond seriously.

I've seen this complaint a few times across other forums and it was all about non-Nintendo gamers trying to troll the Mario fans. "First kindoms are short!" - "already someone completing the game in nine hours, it's too short!" - "the game is only 5,2GB, it will be short!"

All of these arguments ignore a few simple facts. Super Mario Odyssey is an open world platform/adventure - it's not supposed to be thirty hours long. It's not Zelda, you should be able to get to the final boss in about ten hours, fifteen tops. Much of the content of Odyssey is exploration, and as such there is a lot of post-game content. The nine hour run of the game apparently ended with around 250 moons collected out of 700 or 800 (I forgot which number it was, and I didn't watch the streaming myself as I refuse to be spoiled). Apparently said streamer tried to get to the end of the story as quickly as possible, and has since clocked 30+ hours into the game while still not getting 100% completion.

In Super Mario 64, you could also get to the first boss through the first three kingdoms in about half an hour to forty-five minutes, if you got the bare minimum of stars. Didn't mean the game would be over in three hours back then, either. I'm not as familiar with Sunshine or Galaxy, having played both only once, but I'm pretty sure the first few worlds opened up pretty quickly in those games as well. It's not like the 2D games, where each world takes roughly the same amount of time and in which there's little more to do after you defeated the final boss.

I expect that I personally will be able to get to the final boss in less than ten hours, easily (without actually rushing). The game is part of a genre in which I do not think that that's too short. I also expect that I will not have gotten even halfway to 100% completion after those nine-ten hours.

17 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I expect that I personally will be able to get to the final boss in less than ten hours, easily (without actually rushing). The game is part of a genre in which I do not think that that's too short. I also expect that I will not have gotten even halfway to 100% completion after those nine-ten hours.

I never understood the complaining about game length. Let's say SMO can be completed 100% in 20 hours. That's fine. Some people will go for that and others won't. Some people will be happy to goof around in the open world after 100% completion and put in dozens of hours. The point is, it will cover all sorts of gaming styles. I don't see anything here to suggest it's not a great game worth $60 (even though I'm getting it at a big discount). To compare it to another open world game, I have no intention of getting 100% in BotW. I actually haven't done all that much outside of the main story. And that's fine, I don't feel like I need to put 100+ hours into it to have it be one of the best experiences of 2017. It supports that extra length for people who want it, like SMO will to a lesser extent. So yeah, like you this doesn't lessen my excitement for SMO. 

On the subject of BotW, this was a fun article. 

https://kotaku.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-second-wind-thank-1819802965

I especially enjoyed seeing Hideki Kamiya's video in the "Whaaat" section. I find it hilarious that the Director of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 is cheesing the remote bombs in BotW. And while we're here, Mr Kamiya sir? Would you terribly mind putting down Zelda and getting to work on Bayonetta 3 for Switch? ?

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I never understood the complaining about game length. Let's say SMO can be completed 100% in 20 hours. That's fine. Some people will go for that and others won't. Some people will be happy to goof around in the open world after 100% completion and put in dozens of hours. The point is, it will cover all sorts of gaming styles. I don't see anything here to suggest it's not a great game worth $60 (even though I'm getting it at a big discount). To compare it to another open world game, I have no intention of getting 100% in BotW. I actually haven't done all that much outside of the main story. And that's fine, I don't feel like I need to put 100+ hours into it to have it be one of the best experiences of 2017. It supports that extra length for people who want it, like SMO will to a lesser extent. So yeah, like you this doesn't lessen my excitement for SMO. 

https://kotaku.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-second-wind-thank-1819802965

I especially enjoyed seeing Hideki Kamiya's video in the "Whaaat" section. I find it hilarious that the Director of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 is cheesing the remote bombs in BotW. And while we're here, Mr Kamiya sir? Would you terribly mind putting down Zelda and getting to work on Bayonetta 3 for Switch? 1f609.png

Game length complaining is pretty common in video games.

Remember The Order 1886? OMG THIS GAME IS 7 HOURS LONG AND COSTS $60 WTF IS THIS TRASH BLAH BLAH BLAH QUICK TIME EVENTS!!!!

There's always exceptions, isn't there? Games that you don't want to wear out their welcome, and games you wish would never end. It's a tricky way to make people happy. And no, I wasn't trolling by expressing her concerns. I don't give a shit how long the main story of Super Mario Odyssey is. Just making an argument that there's people that DO.

10 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, I won't say I never get it. I myself have complained about Assassin's Creed Rogue being on the short side - I didn't have issues with game length but with story length. Just as the game started to pick up speed, it was over. Two or three sequences just filled with hunting down key assassins would not have hurt.

I stopped playing Zelda in between 65 and 70 hours, and I wasn't close to 100% completion but I was done with the game (for now). I will definitely go for 100% in Odyssey, and I don't expect it to last as long as my experience with Zelda, and that's fine, for reasons you and I mentioned in our last two posts. 

P.S. enjoy.

10 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I especially enjoyed seeing Hideki Kamiya's video in the "Whaaat" section. I find it hilarious that the Director of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 is cheesing the remote bombs in BotW. And while we're here, Mr Kamiya sir? Would you terribly mind putting down Zelda and getting to work on Bayonetta 3 for Switch? 1f609.png

I read that somewhere else earlier. Zelda does seem like the kind of huge game with so much stuff in there that it would benefit from video captures...

4 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Game length complaining is pretty common in video games.

Remember The Order 1886? OMG THIS GAME IS 7 HOURS LONG AND COSTS $60 WTF IS THIS TRASH BLAH BLAH BLAH QUICK TIME EVENTS!!!!

There's always exceptions, isn't there? Games that you don't want to wear out their welcome, and games you wish would never end. It's a tricky way to make people happy. And no, I wasn't trolling by expressing her concerns. I don't give a shit how long the main story of Super Mario Odyssey is. Just making an argument that there's people that DO.

But then again The Order 1886 had nothing to do after you finished the story, with the exception of a handful of collectables that you probably found in your first run anyway.

Super Mario Odyssey is an open world game with much to explore. If your ex is concerned just because she "got through" three kingdoms, then I'm guessing she does not have much experience with the other 3D Mario games because they all have a way of getting you to see a few different worlds very early on. The 3D Mario games are all designed so that nearly everyone can get to the end in some way and so that you can see most of the worlds while doing so, but all of the games have a massive amount of post-game exploring/collecting. The Galaxy games even made you do every singe level all over.

Valid concerns are one thing, but any Mario fan worth his/her salt will not get doubts if they manage to do the first few missions in the first few worlds in a short amount of time. (That's not me trying to be condescending or anything, that's just me being frank)

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Have fun with that.

Hey thanks for the heads up! $62 at Big W for me as well then.

16 hours ago, Cubone said:

I don't have all those problems. For me it's €60 digital and €60 retail. I pay the same while I don't have to wait for the stores to open and I'm being green. That's prettygood rewards already.

Digital won't be cheaper than retail until at least a few years from now, with he exception of two things - games like Rime and L.A. Noire that are €10 cheaper on he eShop because the companies are calculating cartridge costs onto the buyer, and indie games that get an expanded retail version. A few years from now we might be on much more digital sales han retail for games that offer both day one but we're not there yet.

I don't see why retail stores wouldn't accept a cheaper digital price as long as they can sell digital codes for the game at the same price.

See, I can get down with that. Here's the problem here though, we used to have a fair few major game shops, but nowadays we got EB and JB. EB is just games, JB is all entertainment, and even household appliances nowadays. They both generally just charge full RRP, so 100 on most games, and JB will sometimes be a bit cheaper. Other than that we only got Target and Big W for games, they both will do most new releases for 60 something, usually 62. Digital is the same was the first two, 100 full price. 62 versus 100, hmm, tough call. It's nearly double at that rate dude. If digital was 60 when EB and JB wanted 100, and there was no one out there with other 60 something copies day on, I'd be down with digital. I am all for digital, but there's too many positives for physical to justify spending more on digital. I get you though man, same price, no harm no foul, go with the convenient one.

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So I'm not the only one who thinks Gamecube controllers are extremely overrated? I don't get how the entire Smash Bros community holds them up as the best controllers of all time. The only reason I even own Wavebirds is because I bought a Wii (never had a Gamecube) a while back and needed a way to play Gamecube games. I stuck with them for MGS: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil ReMake, but that's as much as I could really tolerate. I do have the Wii U Gamecube adapter, and I think it's cool that Switch now supports them, but I doubt I'll ever use them. I'd rather use a Wii U Pro controller or the Switch Pro controller (both of which are better than the Gamecube controller IMO). 

On the Wii U, it's possible to modify it to play Gamecube games that are ripped via a Wii. It can't read the discs, but because it's 100% backwards compatible with Wii, and the Wii is 100% backwards compatible with Gamecube, it can run Gamecube games without emulation. It just doesn't do it without software mods. Anyway, the nice thing about that setup is that you can use the Wii U Pro controller to play Gamecube games instead of the Gamecube controller. I fired up Super Mario Sunshine a few days ago and found the Wavebird pretty frustrating to try to use. 

Microsoft was smart to implement Xbox Original backwards compatibility. I might get that Crimson Skies game. Nothing else from the list really appeals to me but it's cool that they implemented it. As far as Sony getting a hint, the only possibility for PS4 is I think PS1 games (it's probably not powerful enough to emulate PS3, and PS2 games are getting ported to it slowly but surely), which it's dumb that they haven't emulated yet. 

Para 1, yup.

Para 2, yup. I love Nintendont and it's the only reason I still have a Wii U. It's literally the saviour of the system for me.

Para 3, yup. I have been meaning to play KOTOR for years, even bought the Android version when it came out years ago but it didn't grab me. When it goes on sale I might jump into it, otherwise yeah I feel you. God I hope they somehow manage to just bring over all the OG XB games that worked on 360, Tony Hawk, Spider-Man 2, GTA trilogy, etc. Also PS1 would be cool, but so long as they make us need to keep a PS3, they are also making us keep a PS1 machine. That RCPS3 or whatever it's called is coming along though, Sony gotta step up. But they won't, because there's no money in that and they already have the lead.

Para 4, fuck yup. That sounds like a ripper of a deal.

3 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Hey thanks for the heads up! $62 at Big W for me as well then.

Forgot there's another Aussie in the midst. Always worth hitting up Target and Big dub dude. Wouldn't be caught dead paying EB or JB's prices, damn do I miss K-Mart selling games though.

__________________________TO EVERYONE____________________________

Y'all talking about game lengths. My short opinion while the missus is showering and Billie's down and I have a minute, is that a good game's a good game. I'd rather replay the shit out of a five hour great game than spend fifteen hours slogging through a good game that drags too long. Plus, for me at least, the replayablity is way higher the shorter the game is. I have replayed Spidey 3 on PS2/PSP countless times, but only clocked the bigger, longer, boring-er PS3 version like 3 or 4 times tops. I'll talk more later. Bye people! Also I bought a NS Special thing, I forgot the name, the MayFlash thing. Bye!