Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

37 minutes ago, The Spark said:

I might just change my name to Cthulhu if I remain inactive on the site, cool quip, thanks.

I thought you would comment about my foolishness in thinking I could harness a cosmic force into doing my bidding...

29 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Probably won't get Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze before it releases tomorrow, since I'd rather wrap up God of War (and maybe other stuff) which I'm probably a week or two away from still at my pace... before I dive into another game.  However, I would absolutely enjoy a good platformer right about now... even a "tough as nails" one as I've heard Tropical Freeze referred to.  So I may pull the trigger anyways just to have it when the time comes (it's not like Nintendo games ever really go down in price anyways).

For what it's worth, DKC: Tropical Freeze is $20 on the Wii U, since it is part of the Nintendo Selects line now. Before the Switch at least, Nintendo games did go down in price, but it took a long time sometimes. It might be another 2 years or so, but Switch will probably eventually get its own "best of" selection with games like BotW being cheaper.

10 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

For what it's worth, DKC: Tropical Freeze is $20 on the Wii U, since it is part of the Nintendo Selects line now. Before the Switch at least, Nintendo games did go down in price, but it took a long time sometimes. It might be another 2 years or so, but Switch will probably eventually get its own "best of" selection with games like BotW being cheaper.

I doubt I'd wait that long. xD  And I feel like the Switch is a different beast when it comes to game pricing, mainly due to its popularity compared to the Wii U (and unlike the original Wii, that popularity is coming from moreso from gamers and less casual folks looking for some cheap family fun).  Plus, as something of a pseudo collector, I prefer the original cases versus greatest hits/selects releases.

Though you're right.  The games will probably drop price in some capacity down the road. ?

EDIT: I could probably save ~$10-15 (factoring in sales tax and stuff) if I waited a month or two and hit up eBay and the second-hand market... but these days I'd rather support games/devs on launch week if I can help it.  Even if it costs a bit more.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I thought you would comment about my foolishness in thinking I could harness a cosmic force into doing my bidding...

Nah. Much more fun to let you think you got away with it and then see you fail when you try it on a real Ancient One.

If... only... I... had... a... Wii U...

... Nope, still not worth it. I'd rather pay €60 and have the game on the go.

3 hours ago, The Spark said:

I agree with this. I had to get rid of my WiiU to work towards a Switch. I'm glad that Nintendo is porting some WiiU games over. I've gotten two that I've really wanted so far (Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze). I'm, at least, hoping for the two Zelda remakes (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) to get ported sometime in the future. Those may be a stretch, but never hurts to hope. If they don't port them over, then I can always go back and get the originals no problem.

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I doubt I'd wait that long. xD  And I feel like the Switch is a different beast when it comes to game pricing, mainly due to its popularity compared to the Wii U (and unlike the original Wii, that popularity is coming from moreso from gamers and less casual folks looking for some cheap family fun).  Plus, as something of a pseudo collector, I prefer the original cases versus greatest hits/selects releases.

You collectors! Not only do you need physical games, you are picky about the cases! :P

No, it's not the first time I've seen that statement, and no it still doesn't make much sense to me. But at least you have options I guess.

I think you may be correct about the Switch pricing though. Nintendo may be more reluctant to cut prices for those games. However, they are also not jacking up prices across the board. Treasure Tracker will sell at $40, just like the Wii U version launched at. Also, it's worth noting that most first-party Wii U games held their price for a while, even during the waning days of the Wii U. The main difference I've seen with Switch pricing is indie games costing more than in the past, but I think that may be across consoles, not just Switch exclusive. In some cases it looks worse because the Switch version launches higher than the older PS4 version that is dirt cheap after a year or two. So I'm not sure it's a really new change.

4 hours ago, The Spark said:

Portability is great, no doubt about it. I have found myself repurchasing several games on Switch just to have them portable. However, since I already own a digital copy of Tropical Freeze on Wii U (with my progress 1/4 of the way through the story), I can't justify spending $60 just to make it portable. If I didn't already own it though, I'd grab it on Switch even at 3 times the price of the Wii U version, no question.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

21 minutes ago, ARB1992 said:

I agree with this. I had to get rid of my WiiU to work towards a Switch. I'm glad that Nintendo is porting some WiiU games over. I've gotten two that I've really wanted so far (Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze). I'm, at least, hoping for the two Zelda remakes (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) to get ported sometime in the future. Those may be a stretch, but never hurts to hope. If they don't port them over, then I can always go back and get the originals no problem.

I love the Wii U ports and I don't understand why people are complaining about them. I have already bought MK8, Bayonetta 2, and soon I will get Hyrule Warriors. The only Wii U ports I'm NOT getting are games I already completed on Wii U (Treasure Tracker) or are currently playing (Tropical Freeze). If they port more games I'll probably get them.

I guess the "Nintendo Faithful" want more brand-new Switch games instead of Wii U ports, but Nintendo can't crank out tons of internally-developed games. I think spacing out "new" Switch games with ports of the best Wii U games makes lots of sense. People who played lots of Wii U games can still get the large selection of new indie and third-party games on Switch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You collectors! Not only do you need physical games, you are picky about the cases! :P

No, it's not the first time I've seen that statement, and no it still doesn't make much sense to me. But at least you have options I guess.

It's like the difference between... getting an autograph from your favorite athlete/celebrity/musician/person, versus getting an "authentic licensed recreation" of the autograph. xD  You want the real thing.  Something that shows you were really there, and didn't just jump on the bandwagon years later.

As vain as it is... only half the battle of collecting is actually getting something.  The other half is making sure the things you get maintain a certain appearance. ;) 

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's like the difference between... getting an autograph from your favorite athlete/celebrity/musician/person, versus getting an "authentic recreation" of the autograph. xD  You want the real thing.  Something that shows you were really there, and didn't just jump on the bandwagon years later.

As vain as it is... only half the battle of collecting is actually getting something.  The other half is making sure the things you get maintain a certain appearance. ;)

Yeah, I understand it on a high level, but I just don't get it I guess. For me gaming is about playing the games (or in my case, staring at the shelf wishing I had time to play the games), not having something nice to look at. I'm definitely not a collector though... of anything. I used to have one book that was autographed by Isaac Asimov, but I never really cared.

I have a medium-sized DVD/Blu-ray collection but I wouldn't call myself a collector. I don't care what order the movies and shows are in (I have broad sections like comedy, action, TV, etc.) beyond things like making sure a given TV show is in the correct season order, and I certainly don't get annoyed if I have a few cases that don't match. I guess that's the difference between "having" things and "collecting" them. And the funny thing is, to the casual Netflix streamer, my "collection" is just as weird as the guy with 100,000 DVDs in his basement in a special room with its own HVAC system. :P

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You want the real thing.  Something that shows you were really there, and didn't just jump on the bandwagon years later.

This got me thinking... I think I'm guilty of this a little with the Switch. When I see comments about a good Wii U port, my first instinct is to say "pfft, I knew that game was great back when I played it on Wii U!" I guess bandwagon jumpers are never popular. :)

24 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I understand it on a high level, but I just don't get it I guess. For me gaming is about playing the games (or in my case, staring at the shelf wishing I had time to play the games), not having something nice to look at. I'm definitely not a collector though... of anything. I used to have one book that was autographed by Isaac Asimov, but I never really cared.

I have a medium-sized DVD/Blu-ray collection but I wouldn't call myself a collector. I don't care what order the movies and shows are in (I have broad sections like comedy, action, TV, etc.) beyond things like making sure a given TV show is in the correct season order, and I certainly don't get annoyed if I have a few cases that don't match. I guess that's the difference between "having" things and "collecting" them. And the funny thing is, to the casual Netflix streamer, my "collection" is just as weird as the guy with 100,000 DVDs in his basement in a special room with its own HVAC system. :P

This got me thinking... I think I'm guilty of this a little with the Switch. When I see comments about a good Wii U port, my first instinct is to say "pfft, I knew that game was great back when I played it on Wii U!" I guess bandwagon jumpers are never popular. :)

I wouldn't even consider myself a real collector by any stretch.  You probably have more DVD's/Blu-Rays than I have games.  But for the little collection I do have, the least I can do is follow a few of my own rules.  No re-issues, no really noticeable damage anywhere, no steelbooks or anything that'd break consistency if possible, etc.

EDIT: Not that these are hard and fast rules (except for damage lol)... but I'll spend a few extra bucks to get the right thing, if given the choice.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The only Wii U ports I'm NOT getting are games I already completed on Wii U (Treasure Tracker) or are currently playing (Tropical Freeze). If they port more games I'll probably get them.

I won't be getting Treasure Tracker, either. I played it on WiiU and, while I thought it was a pretty decent game, I'm not the fondest of puzzle games in general. As for Tropical Freeze, it was one of my favorites on WiiU and I haven't given it a proper playthrough since I originally played it back in 2014 when it originally released. Also, it's Donkey Kong: I can't pass it up.

Well, I got Donkey Kong today.

EB had a trade deal, dump any games worth more than 5 bucks of trade in value, pay 29 bucks, and you got yourself some DKC. I went into Big W, had a look at what was cheap, grabbed a copy of Lego Jurassic and Lego Hobbit on PS3 for ten bucks a pop, took them to EB, both traded for 7.48 before membership bonuses so I was all good there. So in total, 49 bucks for DKC Switch, which is exactly what the Nintendo Selects version on Wii U retails for. Switch version is retailing for 80 bucks and the cheapest deal so far is 69 at Big W and JB, so I saved a good 20 even on the cheapest deal. Alright.

Think that's my first big AAA day one-er of the year actually. 

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

20 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That was a great interview. Reading it a while back was one of the main things that convinced me to get Labo Variety Kit. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

Also, I just noticed you have Aigis in your signature image. I approve! After recently playing P3 (and P4G before that), I'm currently slogging my way through the P4 Arena story mode, but I made sure to play hers early before fatigue set in. Why in the world did they have to split it up into TWELVE repetitive chapters that tell different versions of the same story? I heard that Arena Ultimax just has a single campaign, which seems like an improvement.

Luckily they've already published part 2 of the Labo interview! I found this one even more interesting than the first part. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2018/April/Nintendo-Labo-developer-interview-Part-2-Prototyping-and-Development-1369593.html

I haven't played Persona 3 at all and not much of the story mode in P4 Arena. I think I played at least Chie's story up to some point. I remember the story mode was really weird - in order to see the whole story you needed to make specific choices in certain order? I'm used to more straight forward story modes in fighting games where I don't need to follow a guide all the time. 

I liked having Aigis in my party in Persona Q, she was a great tank and a fun character. Waiting anxiously to get my hands on Persona Q 2.

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Luckily they've already published part 2 of the Labo interview! I found this one even more interesting than the first part. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2018/April/Nintendo-Labo-developer-interview-Part-2-Prototyping-and-Development-1369593.html

I haven't played Persona 3 at all and not much of the story mode in P4 Arena. I think I played at least Chie's story up to some point. I remember the story mode was really weird - in order to see the whole story you needed to make specific choices in certain order? I'm used to more straight forward story modes in fighting games where I don't need to follow a guide all the time. 

I liked having Aigis in my party in Persona Q, she was a great tank and a fun character. Waiting anxiously to get my hands on Persona Q 2.

Cool, thanks for the link. Another good read.

I hate fighting games. I'm only playing P4A for the story, and yes it is weird and a slog to get through.

I'm looking forward to playing Persona Q at some point. I have a big backlog going for this series.

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Cool, thanks for the link. Another good read.

I hate fighting games. I'm only playing P4A for the story, and yes it is weird and a slog to get through.

I'm looking forward to playing Persona Q at some point. I have a big backlog going for this series.

Persona Q is one of my favorite 3DS games and I definitely recommend playing it. I liked its battle system more than the main series Persona games'. There's more room for customization thanks to the sub-Persona system. The story is good, dungeons are nicely designed and there's a lot of humor in the character interaction.

7 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Persona Q is one of my favorite 3DS games and I definitely recommend playing it. I liked its battle system more than the main series Persona games'. There's more room for customization thanks to the sub-Persona system. The story is good, dungeons are nicely designed and there's a lot of humor in the character interaction.

My only hesitation with PQ is the mapping system. I don't think it would be fun for me at all to draw out maps. I think there may be an option for the game to do that automatically though.

Everything else I've heard about the game sounds good though.

28 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My only hesitation with PQ is the mapping system. I don't think it would be fun for me at all to draw out maps. I think there may be an option for the game to do that automatically though.

Everything else I've heard about the game sounds good though.

The automapping system takes care of drawing the map layout for you as you explore the dungeons. All you need to do is place markers to indicate doors, secret passages, stairs and other points of interest. It's not necessary to do that at all but it makes it much easier to navigate. I was a bit worried about the mapping initially but it proved to be quite fun actually and not tedious at all.

Played the first world of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and it's a lot of fun. My wife gave up after the first level though.

Runner3 will be available late this month. I want to say I'm getting it right away but I'm getting weird price reports, so I hope the eShop offers some confirmation soon.

I'm getting Treasure Tracker for sure, I like puzzle games.

Starlink: Battle For Atlas is still planned for this year, and I have a good feeling about that one.

On 03/05/2018 at 7:43 PM, ARB1992 said:

Be itone year or five: we can rest assured that most if not all Zelda games will be available at some point on the Switch.

On 03/05/2018 at 9:07 PM, Dreakon13 said:

It's like the difference between... getting an autograph from your favorite athlete/celebrity/musician/person, versus getting an "authentic licensed recreation" of the autograph. xD  You want the real thing.  Something that shows you were really there, and didn't just jump on the bandwagon years later.

I've gone fully digital, it seems. Collecting was my thing a bunch of years ago but it feels so good carrying the Switch and having literally my whole library at the ready...

On 03/05/2018 at 9:16 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Wait, what? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Wii U was never popular, which is why the ports are new to many Switch gamers :) nothing to do with bandwagons, from SNES onwards I've owned all Nintendo home consoles except the Wii U.

On 06/05/2018 at 3:07 AM, TKdovahkiin said:

Picked up Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze yesterday and it is DYNOMITE! 

The new Funky Mode makes it easier so anyone can enjoy the total beauty and relaxation of a tropical vacation.

SMO didn't get my attention. But now this is a great excuse for a break from the seriousness of some of these Sony Masterpieces...

Pretending once again that video games are supposed to be fun......

Funky mode... Pfsh!

And yeah, some devs seem to forget the fun part. And the couch co-op part. Luckily, Nintendo has a lot of both.

38 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Wait, what? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Wii U was never popular, which is why the ports are new to many Switch gamers :) nothing to do with bandwagons, from SNES onwards I've owned all Nintendo home consoles except the Wii U.

My original comment must have sounded different than I intended. Dreakon's comment made me think of people who say "I liked such-and-such band BEFORE they were popular!" That was the idea I got from his "jumping on the bandwagon years later" line. So along those lines, I sometimes think "I liked this Wii U game back when barely anyone played it!" Almost like it was a hidden gem back then. In my mind, the analogy works, because these games were less noticed during the Wii U's lifetime, and now that they're on Switch, they're getting a much bigger audience. The games were there years ago, and could have been played by people willing to buy an unpopular console; now that they're on a popular console, there is now a bandwagon to jump on.

Anyway, no bubble was there to be burst, so you have nothing to fake apologize for. :P I have no illusions about the Wii U being a popular system... it's basically the Vita of the home console world. That doesn't stop me from loving both systems, but that wasn't my point here.

Also, just for clarification let me repeat that I like Wii U ports even as a Wii U owner. Thankfully, in most cases the ports are getting new features, which makes them tempting even for Wii U owners like me, and it also makes them more appealing for people who skipped the Wii U. In my mind, they are a win for everyone.

Oh yeah... nice name change. I approve!

I have a price in my head for DKC Tropical Freeze... and I'm refreshing eBay regularly at work on the off chance a listing hits that price (or lower). xD

Should probably just sit on the idea for a month or two after a few other interesting games come out (ie. have PS4 exclusive Detroit Become Human preordered).  Can already get Tropical Freeze for almost $50 new with free shipping on eBay... which is certainly nicer than $65 (with tax) in the stores.  Feel like I can do better still. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Played the first world of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and it's a lot of fun.

Tropical Freeze was one of my favorites on WiiU. The third world is when the game really starts to ramp up in difficulty in my opinion (especially if you're going for all puzzle pieces / KONG letters). Hope you enjoy the rest of it!

So, there's more info on Switch Online, it seems...

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-shares-new-details-about-its-nintendo-switch-online-service

€/$ 20 for a whole year, possibilities for a family plan

20 NES games to play at the start, with online capabilities

Save data cloud backup

I don't know why Nintendo loves their NES games so much. I couldn't give a damn, I'm interested in SNES/N64 games. The thing is called NES - Nintendo Switch Online so perhaps it will only ever be NES games. Hopefully we'll be able to just buy the titles too, if we want. The service is just called "classic games" on the Dutch site though, no specific console in the name.

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

This is incredibly disappointing

“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.

https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-is-not-coming-to-switch-nintendo-says-1825848253

Wasn't that kind of a given?

I mean, what with the online subscription getting loads of NES games, I figured thatif other old console games would get to the Switch, it wouldn't be under the Virtual Console name any more. Perhaps something like Arcade Archives, or dedicated collections like the SEGA Mega Drive Classics or the Mega Man bundles.

The GameCube got a Zelda collection on one disc. I can kind of see them doing more of that.

Anyways I hope we see SNES and N64 titles at all on the Switch, and in a purchase capacity as opposed to PS+ 'rental'.

34 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

This is incredibly disappointing

“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.

https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-is-not-coming-to-switch-nintendo-says-1825848253

The online service sounds fine for the price, but yeah I want to see SNES and newer games. I guess that's one more reason to keep the Wii U and 3DS around for now.

The online service sounds fine for the price, but yeah I want to see SNES and newer games. I guess that's one more reason to keep the Wii U and 3DS around for now.

I still have a SNES with all the games I'm invested in. Perhaps I should just buy a new N64 so I can play those games again too.