Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Currently the only thing I'd use Switch Online services for is Splatoon 2. So I'm unsure if I'll ever need a subscription. Time will tell.

I was also a bit disappointed by the fact that the subscription is per user account and other accounts on the same console can't use the service for the same price. Luckily the family subscription isn't very expensive.

The only circumstance I could see me playing anything online, is potentially with friend(s) when a new Smash comes out.  But considering they're all friends who live within 30 minutes from me... it seems reasonable to think we could just go to eachothers houses.  Also, none of them actually have Switch's yet.  Just kind of an assumption on my part that they would eventually for Smash. xD

So I think I'll be able to get by without this one.  Which is good because keeping my PS+ and Xbox Live Gold going is probably enough (and I'm considering bailing on PS+ since my Xbox is more for multiplayer these days).

Edited by Dreakon13

5 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I still have a SNES with all the games I'm invested in. Perhaps I should just buy a new N64 so I can play those games again too.

For me, the Wii U having the bulk of the good (non-expired license ones, which sadly limits the selection a lot) prior-generation Nintendo games is worth it for the HDMI connection and newer controllers that are more ergonomic. Off-TV play is cool, but of course a prototype for the fully-portable Switch. Those factors, and the added portability of the Switch, is what makes it even more enticing for classic games. Hopefully it will start getting more classics outside of the Virtual Console system.

I guess there are converters you can get to connect old consoles to newer TVs, but I've never tried one.

1 hour ago, TKdovahkiin said:

If you play as Funky himself you get 5 hearts and other benefits which make it playable for those of us who are platformly challenged.

I just go slow as molasses while I figure out how to do stuff.

"Platformly challenged"... I like it. As someone who has moderate platformer skills, I can tell you that Tropical Freeze definitely gets tough, and I've only beat the first world. I haven't played Funky Mode myself, but I like that Nintendo added the option for it to be accessible for all gamers.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

So, there's more info on Switch Online, it seems...

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-shares-new-details-about-its-nintendo-switch-online-service

€/$ 20 for a whole year, possibilities for a family plan

20 NES games to play at the start, with online capabilities

Save data cloud backup

I don't know why Nintendo loves their NES games so much. I couldn't give a damn, I'm interested in SNES/N64 games. The thing is called NES - Nintendo Switch Online so perhaps it will only ever be NES games. Hopefully we'll be able to just buy the titles too, if we want. The service is just called "classic games" on the Dutch site though, no specific console in the name.

I agree with SNES/N64 games. I'm sick of them shoving NES games down my throat. I have the Ambassador's Certificate on my 3DS and 10 of the 20 games from that were NES games. To make matters worse, most of the big hitters on the certificate are on the NES - Nintendo Switch Online, which nullifies some of the benefits for me.

I might use the service for Mario Kart 8, Mario Tennis, and Super Smash Bros. I put heavy emphasis on "might", though: The reason is because I remember Smash Bros. not running very well on my internet due to it not being up-to-par for Peer-2-Peer connection games. I'm hoping that Mario Tennis won't be that way, but I'll find out during the online stress test that Nintendo said that they'd do for Mario Tennis.

5 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I still have a SNES with all the games I'm invested in. Perhaps I should just buy a new N64 so I can play those games again too.

I still have my N64 from when I was a kid. With the Virtual Console coming to a close, I have decided that I will collect some of the bigger titles from my childhood for the N64 that I have since traded in long ago. Was able to find Paper Mario in great condition at my local game store. I was glad to have it back; It was one of my favorites as a kid

49 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

For me, the Wii U having the bulk of the good (non-expired license ones, which sadly limits the selection a lot) prior-generation Nintendo games is worth it for the HDMI connection and newer controllers that are more ergonomic. Off-TV play is cool, but of course a prototype for the fully-portable Switch. Those factors, and the added portability of the Switch, is what makes it even more enticing for classic games. Hopefully it will start getting more classics outside of the Virtual Console system.

I guess there are converters you can get to connect old consoles to newer TVs, but I've never tried one.

"Platformly challenged"... I like it. As someone who has moderate platformer skills, I can tell you that Tropical Freeze definitely gets tough, and I've only beat the first world. I haven't played Funky Mode myself, but I like that Nintendo added the option for it to be accessible for all gamers.

Even newer tv's have composite/component inputs on them. If you want a better picture though, you can buy an upscaler to use HDMI instead. I have one of those with a switcher box for easy access

17 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Even newer tv's have composite/component inputs on them. If you want a better picture though, you can buy an upscaler to use HDMI instead. I have one of those with a switcher box for easy access

My TV only has component, which means having to get an adapter anyway. Anyway, it's HDMI or bust for me, considering I already use a HDMI switch box to connect my other consoles.

The main issue though, which I should have stated before, is that my NES and SNES barely work due to cartridge connector fatigue or whatever. I'd rather have Virtual Console, especially since that avoids the N64 and Gamecube controllers that I hate. Love the games, hate the console I guess.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My TV only has component, which means having to get an adapter anyway. Anyway, it's HDMI or bust for me, considering I already use a HDMI switch box to connect my other consoles.

The main issue though, which I should have stated before, is that my NES and SNES barely work due to cartridge connector fatigue or whatever. I'd rather have Virtual Console, especially since that avoids the N64 and Gamecube controllers that I hate. Love the games, hate the console I guess.

While your NES may need a new 72 pin connector, which only costs about 8 dollars and is easy to replace. Your snes pin connector probably just needs a good cleaning. If you wrap a thin cloth around something around the same width as a credit card or gift card, you can spray it with rubbing alcohol and clean the pin connector in the system itself

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

While your NES may need a new 72 pin connector, which only costs about 8 dollars and is easy to replace. Your snes pin connector probably just needs a good cleaning. If you wrap a thin cloth around something around the same width as a credit card or gift card, you can spray it with rubbing alcohol and clean the pin connector in the system itself

Thanks for the advice, but I should have said that I've given up. I tried a replacement NES system, replacement connector, and a third-party NES clone system a few years back. They all worked to varying degrees but it was still very inconsistent. In my mind, it's an error-prone hardware design. That's okay though, I really don't care that 30-year old hardware isn't working well for me now. I have 90% of the games I care about playing on the Wii U or 3DS anyway. The reason I tried to get it working a few years ago was for that 10% of licensed games that will never be re-released. I don't care enough about them to keep trying though. Honestly my memories of playing TMNT3 are probably better than actually replaying it would be. I have been burned in that regard more than once.

I only have about 5 SNES cartridges, so the problem there may well be the cartridges rather than the system. Again, I'm not motivated enough to really dig into it.

For me, having classic games digitally is so convenient that it's the only way forward. I'll gladly accept imperfect reproductions (e.g. the complaints about the Wii U Virtual Console) for that convenience. I'm not a retro gamer by any stretch, so I'm not going to make much effort with old systems.

I caved and ordered a copy of DKC Tropical Freeze on eBay that was basically spot on with what I wanted to pay for it.  Curious to see if the price drops any further in the coming weeks still.

Hopefully it ships quick enough that I can work it pretty well before Detroit Become Human is released later this month.  Otherwise I may have to set DKC aside for after I play Detroit... be nice to have it and ready to play though, either way.

How long of a game is it, for the average platformer enthusiast (since I hear its tough)?

Edited by Dreakon13

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/09/dead-cells-releasing-in-august-metroidvania/

Game called Dead Cells is coming to PS4 and Switch in August, with confirmed physical copies as well (for folks like myself).

Basically a 2D Souls game with randomized level structures (a RogueVania with 2D Souls-lite action... that's a mouthful xD).  What I played on PC was pretty awesome, combat is very smooth and addicting... and even in death I felt like I was making good progress and advancements.  I don't really like gaming on the computer anymore though (my PC chair and laptop screen is no where near as comfortable as my couch and HDTV), plus the game has been in an Early Access/unfinished state for a little while, so I never really wanted to commit time to it.  That's likely a day one purchase for me on the Switch.

7 hours ago, TKdovahkiin said:

DKC:TF on Switch has about 7 worlds with a number of levels in each, varying as to whether you unlock bonus levels by getting the letters KONG in your runs. You can get letters, puzzle pieces (for in game art), do speed runs, and DK mode. So depending on how much of a completionist you care to be, will probably have an effect of how long you stretch it out.

I can't answer this too well, as I've only just begun and probably plan on playing a level here and there when I'm in the mood. I'm trying to get over my need to rush through the present game (only to rush through the next one, rinse, repeat.) I'm trying to get to the point of enjoying the moment. Like, PLAY. 1f603.png So far, this seems like one to savor, but then I'm not out of the first world yet!

This game on Switch with Funky mode could make it shorter too because of easier. Have fun!

HowLongToBeat says about 20 hours for the main story and some distractions (not necessarily a "completionist" run which is 30 hours).  20 hours sounds like a fair number for me.  I don't give myself a ton of credit, but I will say platformers are probably my bread and butter if I have one (as far as notoriously difficult genres go)... so I'm looking forward to it! :)

Edited by Dreakon13

Welp, I received a Nintendo Switch today from Dell after receiving $200 in gift cards for buying an Alienware Aurora a couple months back, and then also amount another $150 in Dell gift cards since then. Altogether, the Switch and Super Mario Odyssey cost me something like $26. Unfortunately, only the console arrived today, but no game. Looking forward to playing that, and I'll probably get Breath of the Wild next week after payday. I grew up a SEGA and then Sony loyalist, so the last Nintendo product I got was the Game Boy Advance back in 2001. It's been awhile, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Justin__Harris said:

Welp, I received a Nintendo Switch today from Dell after receiving $200 in gift cards for buying an Alienware Aurora a couple months back, and then also amount another $150 in Dell gift cards since then. Altogether, the Switch and Super Mario Odyssey cost me something like $26. Unfortunately, only the console arrived today, but no game. Looking forward to playing that, and I'll probably get Breath of the Wild next week after payday. I grew up a SEGA and then Sony loyalist, so the last Nintendo product I got was the Game Boy Advance back in 2001. It's been awhile, but I'm looking forward to it.

Welcome to the Switch owners' club! There are some free demos to download from eShop while you're waiting for Mario Odyssey to arrive if you're eager to take your new console for a spin.

I got my Switch a week ago, I have Mario Kart 8 and Mario Odyssey, I plan on picking up Breath of the Wild eventually. I've spent most of the time playing MK8, I poured so many hours in to that game on the Wii U you'd think I'd be sick of it by now. 

The Fall has hit the eShop (Thursday, actually, but I'm not on PSNP every day) and it's 30% off right away.

If the patented BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Approval still means anything at all, you should really give this game a go. It's not perfect, but it's got heart and there's an amazing sci-fi story inside this puzzle/action/adventure game. And the sequel is on the Switch too, with a bit of a higher price but a longer playtime as well and many improvements on the first.

It's the first two games of a planned trilogy and I'll get the third game day one again for sure.

P.S. at the last regular level in world 4 of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze now. Great game, love it. I went in practically blind, and it doesn't disappoint - and several of the surprises brought a smile to my face.

Edited by Cthulhu

On 5/12/2018 at 5:18 PM, Cthulhu said:

The Fall has hit the eShop (Thursday, actually, but I'm not on PSNP every day) and it's 30% off right away.

If the patented BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Approval still means anything at all, you should really give this game a go. It's not perfect, but it's got heart and there's an amazing sci-fi story inside this puzzle/action/adventure game. And the sequel is on the Switch too, with a bit of a higher price but a longer playtime as well and many improvements on the first.

It's the first two games of a planned trilogy and I'll get the third game day one again for sure.

I think I'll buy it again, even though I own it on the PS4 or Wii U (I forget which). According to this article, the Switch version of the original has improvements from the sequel. All that for $7 is pretty cool.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/switch_gets_another_slice_of_sci-fi_noir_when_the_fall_drops_on_10th_may

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think I'll buy it again, even though I own it on the PS4 or Wii U (I forget which). According to this article, the Switch version of the original has improvements from the sequel. All that for $7 is pretty cool.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/switch_gets_another_slice_of_sci-fi_noir_when_the_fall_drops_on_10th_may

Didn't realise it had improvements but that's very cool. I just finished Pt2 a short while ago and Pt1 was a whole year ago so I guess it won't be as obvious for me. Played the first fifteen minutes or so. Was planning on playing it on my summer holiday but it's already pulling me in again.

The Pinball Arcade is on the Switch now.

I was already going to advise it to everyone as I got it on X360 and on PS4 with all S1 tables (for X360, as far as they were actually released initially) and I think it's a great pinball simulator.

But I just played the free table on the Switch, and WHAT. THE. FUCK, they actually made it possible to hold the Switch sideways and use touch controls! Now it got even better! Go get the free table, after trykng that you can decide whether or notnto buy some tables. I know I'll get a few :)

Also, since my last post (kinda quiet in here, as it is across all the site it seems), I bought Celeste, FRAMED Collection and Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

I've done the first three chapters of Celeste by now and it is indeed awesome.

I'm halfay through the first FRAMED game (collection has two games in it) and I think it's fun, with some relaxing soundtrack in the background.

I decided I wanted to buy one table pack in The Pinball Arcade already, the second Gottlieb pack (which has Black Hole and Wipe Out in it as well as four other tables). Seeing as it's €10 and I had more than that in gold points already, I decided that from now on I will buy table packs with my gold points, instead of saving up those points for one big game I'd buy anyway. So a little bit more in gold points (Captain Toad should give me enough) and I'm buying that Gottlieb classic table pack.

I've gone through the first world in Runner3. Cool game.

I also bought a 400GB microSD card so I'm safe for now regarding memory. Still had 20-30GB to go on my 128GB card and haven't saved any games on the internal storage yet so thwt one's almost empty but I felt like planning ahead since I could get a 400GB card for a reasonable price.

Also: shit, 400GB on a card as tiny as my pinkie fingernail. I am old enough to have actively used floppy disks.

Played through the main portion of Celeste. Really a great game.

At the boss of world five of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I really love the explosion the eShop had of platformers, as this post will probably tell you.

I will only update the games I have. 

Currently I have

Physical

Super Mario Odyssey

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Bayonetta Climax Edition(Japanese Edition)

Monopoly For Nintendo Switch

Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Lost Sphear(PAL Version)

I Am Setsuna(Japanese Version)

Lego City Undercover

Super Bomerman R

Poi Explorer Edition

Lego Marvel Superheores 2

L.A Noire

Snipperclips Plus

Fire Emblem Warriors Special Edition

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe