Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

At least you can still get the amiibo. I actually have it and it's pretty cool (although to be honest, the only amiibo I don't really like are the Smash Bros ones that were in silly poses - like Luigi diving forward - oh, and the Dark Souls one looks too much like a meme to me). My wife always warns me when the baby is nearby, so that he doesn't hurt himself on Bowser's shell spikes. :)

I have the Bowser suit Amiibo. And another Bowser Amiibo. And Kirby,Meta Knight and King Dedede. And loads more, but only Bowser and Link more than once.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:42 AM, Eyjabria said:

I'm interested in Taiko Drum Master! I'd prefer an EU version though in case there will be DLC. And I can't read Japanese so I would be more comfortable with a UI I can understand. Loved the addition of Splatoon music.

They only just started doing DLC for the game if im not mistaken (the most recent Taiko game released for the PS4 and has a season pass), but it's pretty frustrating to buy to want to get all the songs. I can't either, although when I first bought Taiko for my Vita, after getting used to where you have to navigate, it gets extremely easy to figure out how to play songs, but I do understand what you're getting at.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:14 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

HOLY SHIT THAT HONESTLY LOOKS LIKE ONE OF THE MOST FUN GAMES OF ALL TIME PLEASE HIT ME UP WHEN THIS RELEASES BECAUSE I WILL PROBABLY FORGET, DAMN THIS LOOKS SO FUN!

I wanna hold my breath for an Aussie release, but it does kinda look distinctly *Japanese* so I wouldn't bank on it. I just hope that I can have a Japanese account on my machine and not get the non-English news feed now. That's what made me get rid of my Japanese account way back when unfortunately. 

Definitely! lol. With the motion controls, definitelyyyy. There was talk about them localizing the game eventually, but definitely this a more popular game in Japan. I don't think having to insert the chip would mess stuff up on your system in regards to foreign news. You should be able to play this fine with your regular account.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

2 hours ago, Aexuz said:

No official release date for The World Ends With you for Switch yet? 

This is one of the games announced for the Switch I'm more exited about. 

Yeah, and what's going on with Wolfenstein 2? I keep seeing it go on sale on PS4/X1, but no solid news about the Switch version. I want to play it on the go, even though that means it won't be as pretty.

7 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Definitely! lol. With the motion controls, definitelyyyy. There was talk about them localizing the game eventually, but definitely this a more popular game in Japan. I don't think having to insert the chip would mess stuff up on your system in regards to foreign news. You should be able to play this fine with your regular account.

Oh sweet, it's getting a physical version then? I just assumed I'd have to pick it up on the Japanese eShop. 

If the price wasn't too high, I was thinking about cashing in all my future physical purchases' gold points to my Japanese account and getting it that way. Like if it's 10 bucks or so I could easily rock that within the year expiration period, and wouldn't have to resort to getting foreign eShop cards.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Oh sweet, it's getting a physical version then? I just assumed I'd have to pick it up on the Japanese eShop. 

If the price wasn't too high, I was thinking about cashing in all my future physical purchases' gold points to my Japanese account and getting it that way. Like if it's 10 bucks or so I could easily rock that within the year expiration period, and wouldn't have to resort to getting foreign eShop cards.

Most likely would be releasing a physical copy. All the Taiko games that've released in Japan (and also US) have all had physical releases. Bandai Namco Entertainment are the developers of it so they definitely have the funds.

48 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Most likely would be releasing a physical copy. All the Taiko games that've released in Japan (and also US) have all had physical releases. Bandai Namco Entertainment are the developers of it so they definitely have the funds.

You seem pretty knowledgeable on this, any chance you know what the average price for one of their games is?

Genesis / Mega Drive Collection has been leaked as coming to PS4 and Xbone FINALLY. God, I think I've bought this collection on just about every platform it's come out on at this point.

I'm glad as fuck that they're re-releasing this, and not selling the games individually for like 5 bucks or something as this just offers way more value to me with the amount of Mega Drive classics I love on there, but where's the damn Switch version dudes? PLEASE bring this shit to Switch.

5 or 6 classic Sonic games, Vectorman, Ristar, Streets of Rage trilogy, Alex Kidd, ALTERED *fucking* BEAST, and so on. Damn, if I bought that ripoff candy ass Namco Museum on Switch, you know I'd be lining up to buy this sucker too. You could honestly ask 40 for it and I wouldn't even blink, and if by some miracle they threw in the Mega Drive version of OutRun, I'd break my Switch's A button refreshing the store page on release day I'd be that eager for it. @Sega PLEASE BRING THIS SHIT OVER, YO.

Think I'm gonna go with the limited run/edition releases on the Switch going forward (ie. Limited Run Games or otherwise) and start selling off the PS4 ones I don't legitimately intend to open/play or I don't anticipate being available elsewhere or crossing over with the Switch.

Something about these having these itsy bitsy indie titles on Bluray and the PS4 rubs me the wrong way xD ... and as the Switch picks up steam in that area, no denying it's a more welcoming home to the old school/retro/indie games out there.  It's basically my home for indies lately (and Nintendo exclusives of course), while the PS4 and Xbox get the rest.  Plus the cartridges are so much more fun than discs.

Edited by Dreakon13

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Think I'm gonna go with the limited run/edition releases on the Switch going forward (ie. Limited Run Games or otherwise) and start selling off the PS4 ones I don't legitimately intend to open/play or I don't anticipate being available elsewhere or crossing over with the Switch.

Something about these having these itsy bitsy indie titles on Bluray and the PS4 rubs me the wrong way xD ... and as the Switch picks up steam in that area, no denying it's a more welcoming home to the old school/retro/indie games out there.  It's basically my home for indies lately (and Nintendo exclusives of course), while the PS4 and Xbox get the rest.  Plus the cartridges are so much more fun than discs.

Now that you mention it, it IS a bit silly to buy a PS4 Blu-ray disc of Retro City Rampage, with somewhere around 100MB being used.

Also, personally I really like the Switch cases and cartridges. But I still find myself straddling the line between physical and digital. I prefer the convenience of digital, but if I can get a physical version cheaper (which is usually the case at launch), I'll almost always go with physical.

I also find it satisfying to trade in a physical version of a game I'm finished with, especially now that I have mostly sworn off replaying games. There's a finality to it that helps me think I'm cutting down on my enormous backlog.

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Now that you mention it, it IS a bit silly to buy a PS4 Blu-ray disc of Retro City Rampage, with somewhere around 100MB being used.

Also, personally I really like the Switch cases and cartridges. But I still find myself straddling the line between physical and digital. I prefer the convenience of digital, but if I can get a physical version cheaper (which is usually the case at launch), I'll almost always go with physical.

I also find it satisfying to trade in a physical version of a game I'm finished with, especially now that I have mostly sworn off replaying games. There's a finality to it that helps me think I'm cutting down on my enormous backlog.

I can't picture myself going that route really.  I'll sell a game when I'm done (or before I finish) if I don't like it, which is a nice advantage of physical copies since you can recoup most or all of the money on a bad purchase if you sell on eBay or the like.  But if I enjoyed it, I like keeping the physical copy and having it represented. :)  That's what burns me about digital, sure it's represented on a trophy list or download library somewhere in the ether or on some manually updated backlog tracking site... but meh.

That's what burned me about the years of the PS3 prior to trophies... my PSN profile was half new games with trophies, and half missing the games without.  Don't even get me started on previous generations with no online/profile support whatsoever.  Entire generations of consoles and games missing from a profile that's supposed to represent my Playstation "career".  Fires my OCD right up. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You seem pretty knowledgeable on this, any chance you know what the average price for one of their games is?

Retail price in Japan I actually would not know. I only know importing it would probably be around 70 - 80 US dollars to my assumption. Both the Vita and PS4 versions of the game that I've previously bought were roughly around that.

But assuming if Japan is like us and charges $60 per game, the digital should be around 6,400 yen

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I can't picture myself going that route really.  I'll sell a game when I'm done (or before I finish) if I don't like it, which is a nice advantage of physical copies since you can recoup most or all of the money on a bad purchase if you sell on eBay or the like.  But if I enjoyed it, I like keeping the physical copy and having it represented. :)  That's what burns me about digital, sure it's represented on a trophy list or download library somewhere in the ether or on some manually updated backlog tracking site... but meh.

That's what burned me about the years of the PS3 prior to trophies... my PSN profile was half new games with trophies, and half missing the games without.  Don't even get me started on previous generations with no online/profile support whatsoever.  Entire generations of consoles and games missing from a profile that's supposed to represent my Playstation "career".  Fires my OCD right up. xD

I used to be more of a collector, but I have made some changes recently. I noticed that I have this huge movie/TV Blu-ray/DVD collection, and I never take the time to rewatch 90% of it. Hell, I own quite a few movies and shows that I haven't even watched once yet. I haven't done much with the movie/TV stuff yet, except for cutting way back on new purchases. But gaming is an area where I can more easily make changes. Sure, Gamestop doesn't give people much for trading in games, but at least it's an easy option to get rid of games I don't need, while getting a little money back in return.

In my mind, it's no different than somebody going on a diet or starting exercise, etc. It's a big step but sometimes it's something you just have to do. For me, my backlog had gotten so big that I came to the realization that it was silly to own all these games that I'll never be able to play if I live to be 1000 years old.

@MosesRockefeller @Dreakon13

As long as we're doing the digital/retail discussion again, I've already said several times that I'm going digital even for bigger games but I think it's a waste of materials to bring out small titles in a retail way.

Yes, I pre-ordered Kirby digitally, don't know if I explicitly said so (I used gold coins, remember). That makes the third AAA game I've bought digitally right away (plus Skyrim a day or three after release, plus Yooka-Laylee but that's neither AAA nor available on retail for the Switch for now).

Didn't mean to dig up the physical/digital discussion. xD  Obviously, I'm pretty happy to keep the physical thing going.  There are benefits to both sides though.  To each their own.

Was just saying that I think the Switch is probably going to (and probably should) overtake the PS4 as far as these "limited run" indie releases go.  For me, at least.  Just makes too much sense.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Riq IV said:

@MosesRockefeller @Dreakon13

As long as we're doing the digital/retail discussion again, I've already said several times that I'm going digital even for bigger games but I think it's a waste of materials to bring out small titles in a retail way.

Yeah, it's one of those subjects that will be debated to death, like the whole anime/JRPG "dub vs sub" thing. I guess we should move on.

I tend to agree about a waste of materials, but the whole Limited Run Games (and similar) phenomenon shows that there is a sizable minority of gamers who like collecting things. It's only appropriate that we have @Dreakon13 to represent that group here. Anyway, as long as enough people are buying, it makes good business sense for those groups to keep making them.

1 hour ago, Riq IV said:

Yes, I pre-ordered Kirby digitally, don't know if I explicitly said so (I used gold coins, remember). That makes the third AAA game I've bought digitally right away (plus Skyrim a day or three after release, plus Yooka-Laylee but that's neither AAA nor available on retail for the Switch for now).

Thanks for the reminder about gold coins. I think I'll use my balance to help buy Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, before any more of mine expire. I have a few expiring at the end of March.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

36 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the reminder about gold coins. I think I'll use my balance to help buy Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, before any more of mine expire. I have a few expiring at the end of March.

None have expired yet for you, at least no Switch gold coins (and you're one of the few who could put gold coins into 3DS games).

Now with the Switch way, no gold coins should expire any more since you can just put in all your coins into your next purchase instead of having to save up for specific sales. Though I'm still in doubt about whether or not to save it all op for one big purchase a year for free.

44 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I tend to agree about a waste of materials, but the whole Limited Run Games (and similar) phenomenon shows that there is a sizable minority of gamers who like collecting things. It's only appropriate that we have @Dreakon13 to represent that group here. Anyway, as long as enough people are buying, it makes good business sense for those groups to keep making them.

Was at first not going to continue on this but I have to say: just because people are buying doesn't make it good for the earth. People buy megastable meat too. Of course, it's rare to have companies say "a bit less profit is fine, as long as we're better for the environment" but where the hell does it have to start? With people not buying stuff that's bad. No megastable meat, no pressurised deodorant and hairspray and whatnot, and no kilos of plastic and fuels for shipping for games that can be downloaded these days right away with zero costs to the environment.

29 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

None have expired yet for you, at least no Switch gold coins (and you're one of the few who could put gold coins into 3DS games).

Now with the Switch way, no gold coins should expire any more since you can just put in all your coins into your next purchase instead of having to save up for specific sales. Though I'm still in doubt about whether or not to save it all op for one big purchase a year for free.

I'm confused, are the gold coins all one pool like eShop money? I assumed they were. I added $99 to the eShop, and it shows up in the Wii U eShop, 3DS eShop, and Switch eShop.

Anyway, I have gold coins expiring at the end of March. I think it's 30 coins. Maybe those are from a 3DS or Wii U eShop purchase; I don't know. My understanding is that I can use those 30 coins along with the non-expiring coins, all in one Switch purchase.

Also, according to my calculations based on the official value, you need to buy 20 $60 games to have enough gold coins for 1 $60 game. That's roughly two full priced Switch games a month, to have enough saved up in one year. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it may take a while to save up that much.

35 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

Was at first not going to continue on this but I have to say: just because people are buying doesn't make it good for the earth. People buy megastable meat too. Of course, it's rare to have companies say "a bit less profit is fine, as long as we're better for the environment" but where the hell does it have to start? With people not buying stuff that's bad. No megastable meat, no pressurised deodorant and hairspray and whatnot, and no kilos of plastic and fuels for shipping for games that can be downloaded these days right away with zero costs to the environment.

You raise a valid point. I guess I assumed your "waste of materials" was more on the logistics side of the games business rather than the environmental one. Now it's pretty clear what you meant.

As for where the hell it has to start? We have to have a large majority of people stop buying those things. That is a big, uphill battle. I'm not one for giving up without an effort, but I think we're still a ways off. Hell, 2018 sees more and more people say "I don't care what science says, the Earth is flat and immunizations cause cancer". I don't want to get political, but it seems like certain areas of progress are a long way off.

7 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Retail price in Japan I actually would not know. I only know importing it would probably be around 70 - 80 US dollars to my assumption. Both the Vita and PS4 versions of the game that I've previously bought were roughly around that.

But assuming if Japan is like us and charges $60 per game, the digital should be around 6,400 yen

Shiiiiiiiit that's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Think I might just never register a single physical game until I have enough stacked up to throw the lot on at once to the Japanese account. Or just forget about it again tbh.

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm confused, are the gold coins all one pool like eShop money? I assumed they were. I added $99 to the eShop, and it shows up in the Wii U eShop, 3DS eShop, and Switch eShop.

Anyway, I have gold coins expiring at the end of March. I think it's 30 coins. Maybe those are from a 3DS or Wii U eShop purchase; I don't know. My understanding is that I can use those 30 coins along with the non-expiring coins, all in one Switch purchase.

Also, according to my calculations based on the official value, you need to buy 20 $60 games to have enough gold coins for 1 $60 game. That's roughly two full priced Switch games a month, to have enough saved up in one year. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it may take a while to save up that much.

Yeah the coins are one pool. Sorry if I was unclear.

Maybe we can't save enough for a 60 game, but to me a 30-40 game should be possible.

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You raise a valid point. I guess I assumed your "waste of materials" was more on the logistics side of the games business rather than the environmental one. Now it's pretty clear what you meant.

As for where the hell it has to start? We have to have a large majority of people stop buying those things. That is a big, uphill battle. I'm not one for giving up without an effort, but I think we're still a ways off. Hell, 2018 sees more and more people say "I don't care what science says, the Earth is flat and immunizations cause cancer". I don't want to get political, but it seems like certain areas of progress are a long way off.

Yeah I meant both logistics and materials. To complain about both at once: they're shipping cows from Holland to Italy, killing and processing them there and shipping the meat back so it can be called Parma ham.

It can be off-putting, seeing the POTUS do and say so many things that will harm the environment, or stuff like car parks here with all the lights on all the time. But I have to believe that every single person changing a little bit matters.

Me and the missus started eating only biological meats (and more recently started to eat a lot less meat altogether). It's great to see how in the past two years, the local supermarket has literally quadrupled shelf space for biological meats. Still barely a tenth of the total meat space, but I'll take any win.

Unfortunately, the company in charge of making changes to our apartment building refuses to spend any money on going green. It's one of the reasons we're looking to move to a house; so we have much more say in the matter.

There's always room for improvement though. Last year we decided not to fly any more unless we're going really far - so California and Australia, but no more weekend trips to Rome or Oslo. Last month I realised how bad my deodorant spray was for the environment. A colleague of mine goes to lengths I can't even fathom at the moment, to the point of buying all of her clothes at a thrift store to reduce her ecological footprint.

Sorry if I sound preachy, it's just something I care about :) though strangely enough it IS actually on topic as the Switch is what caused me to go almost all digital.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Trying to think of a way to argue this that isn't just me coming across like an asshole.  Frankly, I do that too much as it is and I never feel good about it.  Appreciate, and respect your efforts @Riq IV.  I won't be practicing what you preach in regards to games (I like your other ideas), but I'm glad you feel you've found your own way to help the situation.

Edited by Dreakon13

9 hours ago, Riq IV said:

Yeah the coins are one pool. Sorry if I was unclear.

Maybe we can't save enough for a 60 game, but to me a 30-40 game should be possible.

Cool. Makes sense. Anyway, I'll take any savings I can get. I figure I'll spend mine as soon as I see a game I'm interested in.

9 hours ago, Riq IV said:

Me and the missus started eating only biological meats (and more recently started to eat a lot less meat altogether). It's great to see how in the past two years, the local supermarket has literally quadrupled shelf space for biological meats. Still barely a tenth of the total meat space, but I'll take any win.

Yeah, we have to start somewhere and everyone has to decide what is realistic for them.

In terms of meat, my wife has been a vegetarian since before we met, over a decade ago. She got really sick and her doctor told her to stop eating meat, and it worked. I've been a vegetarian for about 4 years, and I went a step further by not eating seafood either. You would not BELIEVE the amount of incredulity I get from most people. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard "oh wow, I could NEVER stop eating meat in a million years!", I'd be a rich man. I always explain that when I was growing up, my parents lived on a really tight budget and so we only ate meat once or twice a week. We eat spaghetti and lasagna without meat. When I tell people this, once again they look at me like I'm a Martian. I guess everyone has certain things they can't comprehend giving up. For me, it's dairy. I love milk, cheese, and ice cream.

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, meat production is only one problematic area; I'm sure some of the stuff I eat isn't much better. But it's a start at least.

@Riq IV I just read through this page and all your stuff and, 

What the fuck is biological meat?

PS. I wish I had the money to casually take a weekend trip all over the place, or fly international at all, or really do anything cool like that. As for meat, I never really ate too much anyway, it's expensive as hell here, I will grab the odd kebab or something when I'm out and someone's doing a good deal though. As for physical games, yeah, there's benefits to digital obviously, but like, if Nintendo want 90 bucks for a game digitally that I can get for 60 in a shiny physical case, that doesn't require me to eventually shell out a bunch more money for a bigger memory card, well, that's just too big of a number, I gotta buy my games cheap, or I gotta find another hobby really. Though if I ran the numbers, I have maybe a couple hundred games on disc nowadays, compared to literal thousands digitally across all my consoles, so percentage wise I'm alright.

PPS. As long as we're cutting out physical copies and harmful, toxic, materials and don't mind going a bit off topic, Last Jedi is out on Blu Ray now and I wouldn't give that thing money if you paid me back double.

PPPS. Damn that deleted scene with Finn and Phasma was so much better than the crap we got in the final thing.

PPPPS. I genuinely don't know what biological meat is, please tell.