General Super Mario discussion thread

Oobedoob S Benubi

Super Mario  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite title in the Mario platforming series for home consoles?

• Super Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
    • Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Mario 64
    • Super Mario Sunshine
    • Super Mario Galaxy
    • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2
    • New Super Mario Bros. U
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Mario Maker
    • I only really like games in the handheld console and/or side series
  2. 2. What's your favourite title in the Mario platforming series for handheld consoles that is not a port/remake from a home console title?

• Super Mario Land
    • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    • New Super Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2
    • I only really like games in the home console and/or side series
  3. 3. What's your favourite side series of the Mario franchise?

• Dr. Mario
    • Mario Kart
    • Paper Mario
    • Mario & Luigi
    • Mario Party
    • Mario Tennis
    • Mario Golf
    • Mario Baseball
    • Mario Strikers
    • Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games
    • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
    • Yoshi's Island(/ Story / Wooly World)
    • New Super Luigi U
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Wario Land
    • WarioWare
    • Something more obscure than the above side series, like the educational games, Picross or the CD-i games
    • Super Smash Bros. (which is not part of the Mario franchise on the technicality that it's a pure crossover series)
    • I only really like games in the home and/or handheld console series

Please keep this thread for actual fans of the Mario franchise, don't post here if you don't like any of the games or haven't played them.

Saw we didn't have a thread for this... So I decided to create one, and a big poll to go along with it!

Super Mario All-Stars is probably the first console game I ever played. An uncle had borrowed a SNES with All-Stars and Tennis from someone and that was my first console experience, got my very own SNES with All-Stars and Aladdin some time after that.

Generally, I really like the main platforming series as well as many of the side series, though I do not care for some stuff - Maker, New Bros., Paper...

I'm excited for Odyssey because I have longed for a new open world Mario game ever since Super Mario 64... I did not really like Sunshine (mainly because of Bowser Jr. and the whole "Bowser-daddy-in-a-bathtub" thing) and Galaxy, while cool, was not really an open world.

I really like the Kart/Smash/Party side series to the point of calling those the holy trinity of couch multiplayer.

I'm annoyed that Super Mario RPG never got a real sequel.

Edited by BillyHorrible

2 minutes ago, Parker said:

@BillyHorrible I personally think it should be in the main series category. It is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and while Yoshi is the playable character, Mario is always with him. Just my opinion.

Yeah It's in the main series on wikipedia as well, still to me it feels like it's not part of the main series just like Super Mario Land 3: Super Wario Land is not part of the main series. They're more of a spin-off than main game to me, the type of gameplay is different as well. That's why my choice was to move it to the side series, also since it has so many later iterations like Story and Woolly World (that last one even does not feature baby Mario any more).

Now that I was busy anyway, I moved New Super Luigi U to the side as well and I added the Luigi's Mansion, Wario Land and WarioWare series.

• 3 months later...

I went with Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. 

I've always loved the 2D games the best, both World and New Bros are games I can pick up and play any time. World is the real masterpiece, but I like the way New Bros does new things like huge Mario and mini-Mario, especially how mini-Mario opens up secret areas but has to be used strategically since changing to another form will lock you out of entering the mini tubes. 

I like the Mario & Luigi series but unfortunately have not finished any of those games. It was a toss-up between Luigi 's Mansion and Mario vs Donkey Kong, so I went with the latter since the series has far more games and I've played most of them. 

Even though I prefer 2D, I'm looking forward to Odyssey quite a bit. 

• 3 months later...

So, a few months later, another successful side game can be added (Mario +Rabbids).

Also, the Arcade Archives Mario Bros. game made me realise I have forgotten a title or two.

Also, Odyssey is only three weeks away! Hopefully we'll get Arcade Archives VS Super Mario Bros. before then.

• 4 weeks later...

Home– Super Mario World

Portable– Super Mario Land

Spin-off– Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Of the pure platformers: SMW > 64 > SMB = SMB 3 > 3D World = Sunshine > Land > 3D Land > Land 2 > SMB2 US > Galaxy = Galaxy 2 > NSMB U = NSLB U > SMB2 LL = NSMB = NSMB Wii > Run = NSMB2

Have yet to start Odyssey, but sooooooooon.

Edited by Super Glamicom
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Super Glamicom said:

Home– Super Mario World

Of the pure platformers: SMW > 64 > SMB = SMB 3 > 3D World = Sunshine > Land > 3D Land > Land 2 > SMB2 US > Galaxy = Galaxy 2 > NSMB U = NSLB U > SMB2 LL = NSMB = NSMB Wii > Run = NSMB2

That's a low score for The Lost Levels from someone who gives the original such a high score; how come?

Home - Mario 64

Handheld - Don't really play them

Spin off - Marion Golf, though I equally like Kart, Strikers, Tennis and Baseball

Reality is that Super mario bros is a game I played in the arcade before the NES so that's high in my rankings. But Mario 64 was mind blowing at the time, it's changed platformers forever and I'll never forget getting "Metal Mario" and being blown away buy the graphics.

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

That's a low score for The Lost Levels from someone who gives the original such a high score; how come?

It just doesn’t flow very well with its level design and enemy / obstacle placement. Everything wants to trick or misdirect you, it’s like a rather forgettable series of basic Mario Maker levels.

I’d rank it low within Mario, but I still like it well enough compared to so many other platformers and games in general :)

On 11/3/2017 at 3:34 AM, Super Glamicom said:

Home– Super Mario World

Ouch, are you really saying Run is better than NSMB2? I'll agree NSMB2 wasn't one of the best games (and 3D Land was way better), but I had fun with it. I'll admit I haven't tried Run, but I'm having a hard time accepting that a phone/tablet game can be considered worse than even the worst game on an actual Nintendo system.

Also, I may be getting them mixed up (I played them both a few years ago on the 3DS), but I thought Land 2 really ramped up from Land. IIRC Land was over very quickly.

I'll always have a soft spot for SMB 1 for being my first console game. I still remember playing through it with my uncle down in my parents' basement.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

Mario 3 > Mario 64 > Mario World > Mario 1 > the rest

18 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ouch, are you really saying Run is better than NSMB2?

Seems like he's saying Run and NSMB2 are equal to eachother, not that Run is better.

Edited by Dreakon13

I think the high ones will be mostly the same, although unlike many, I did NOT like Mario 64. Maybe I just wasn't accustomed to 3-D platforming. Super Mario World slightly edges out Super Mario 3 for me.

However, the new ones might be great - the last time I played Mario was Super Mario Galaxy, which was OK, but I lost interest. My wife really liked it, though.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ouch, are you really saying Run is better than NSMB2?

No, that’s an equal sign :P

They’re both soulless, uninspired new Super Mario games, but they’re still fun in their own rights. Run is genuinely satisfying to perform well in, but I’ll never play it or NSMB2 again.

I’ve played and replayed Mario Land countless times since trading Mega Man II for it at recess over 20 years ago. I think it goes without saying that Six Golden Coins is a vastly improved and evolved sequel, but I’ve never really wanted to revisit much. I played and loved it, and replayed on 3DS, but nostalgia for the equally weird, but also well-rounded and simplistic original wins me over.

2 minutes ago, Super Glamicom said:

No, that’s an equal sign :P

They’re both soulless, uninspired new Super Mario games, but they’re still fun in their own rights. Run is genuinely satisfying to perform well in, but I’ll never play it or NSMB2 again.

I’ve played and replayed Mario Land countless times since trading Mega Man II for it at recess over 20 years ago. I think it goes without saying that Six Golden Coins is a vastly improved and evolved sequel, but I’ve never really wanted to revisit much. I played and loved it, and replayed on 3DS, but nostalgia for the equally weird, but also well-rounded and simplistic original wins me over.

Oh yeah, my mistake. Still, take my original statements and change "better than" to "equal to". It's still hard for me to comprehend how Run could be EQUAL to any proper Mario game. But then, I have an anti-mobile bias. I hate phone games so I have no interest in a platformer with no physical buttons.

I can see your point about Land and Land 2. I guess I think about the games more in terms of how much I enjoyed them the first time through. The only Mario games I've really replayed years later, are SMW and SMB3. And when doing that, I discovered that unlike SMW, SMB3 hadn't aged very well for me. It's harder for me to get into NES games now, but SNES games are still mostly accessible IMO.