Sony to End Shipments of Current PlayStation 3 Console in Japan Soon

Satoshi Ookami

PS4 has been out for years, I don't feel like many PS3 consoles would still be bought new at this point... Or should be bought at least. Many of its titles have been revamped for PS4 anyway xD

Why would it be important for a console whose successor has been around since 2013 to still be manufactured and sold? More and more people are getting rid of their PS3s so there's enough in the used marked if you absolutely must have one...

10 hours ago, Spider-Man916 said:

I give the online support of the PS3 until at the very minimum 2025 and it'll probably extend after that.  Reason I say this is it isn't very fair if they're still selling PS3s until, say, 2020 for them to cut the online support only a year or two after that.  They would essentially be selling a bill of goods that they're not delivering on.  From what I understand, they still have the PS2 servers up.  Like virtually everything else in the world, this is all conjecture anyway.  With that in mind, I'll take a stab and say they'll continue making and selling PS3s until about 2020, maybe 2021, and they'll keep the PS3 servers up until at the very least 2025.  Whenever the day comes that Sony decides to end online support of the PS3, I imagine they would give at least a few months notice anyway.

No, PS2 servers were shut down a year ago. But like i said, it wasn't part of PSN.

13 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, that's not up to Sony but companies themselves.

Sony can't shut down game servers unless they are directly under their jurisdiction.

Right, so PSN isn't going anywhere, but it does spell trouble for PS3 titles.  They are less likely to continue online support if the PS3 market is getting choked.

8 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

They are less likely to continue online support if the PS3 market is getting choked.

That's for sure.

Another likely possibility for future games will be either removing online portion from PS3 versions (provided there will still be PS4/PS3 games) or scrapping PS3 versions completely which is more likely possibility.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

So long as trophy synching is still supported for my PS3 I could not care less if they discontinue the PlayStation Store and PlayStation 3 new releases, there will always be retailers selling old games, last thing I want is a bunch of unfinished games which I am still planning to go back to have my chances screwed of unlocking the Platinum Trophy...

Edited by DarkSoleride

Everytime i see a topic like this I think wow I really need to finish some of my ps3 games.

6 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I do wonder where people get these ideas...

PS2 is a completely different structure due to not having PSN.

Is PSP still playable online?

1 hour ago, Superbuu3 said:

Everytime i see a topic like this I think wow I really need to finish some of my ps3 games.

Is PSP still playable online?

Yes, PSN is still enabled. However they disabled the Store some years ago, but it's still possible to download and install stuff.

Just because it's part of PSN don't mean they can't turn off the support for the consol. Not that hard to remove all PS3 support to PSN or through PSN, but it's not likly to happen anytime soon, unless it's a burden for the rest of PSN. If they ever do it.

I assume PSnow is a way to phase PS3 out too? I mean if you can access many PS3 games through your PS4 (if you live in a country that supports it), then they can remove the support for the "old" firmware and hardware that the PS3 has compared to newer models.

It's their network and consol, I guess they can do as they choose, they already removed alot of support from different hardwares to PSnow.

Edited by Morfea

Ok so then let me ask you all this: if people want to play all of the PS3 games that almost nobody has ever heard of (for example: Record of Agarest War), then what will Sony do to bring those games outside of PS3? 

The answer: you're shit out of luck. Reason being is because Sony (and any developers who own the rights to their own games) will not waste any money to bring those games to the PS4, aside from those that every other person calls "AAA games". Where the hell did the term AAA games comes from anyways?

30 minutes ago, GarciaFever said:

Record of Agarest War

Agarest is unknown?

if people want to play all of the PS3 games that almost nobody has ever heard of

They will have to buy used PS3. =D

It's obvious you need to get the console to play all games for it =D (Sure, PS4 says otherwise, but... let's ignore that :awesome: )

Where the hell did the term AAA games comes from anyways?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

41 minutes ago, GarciaFever said:

Ok so then let me ask you all this: if people want to play all of the PS3 games that almost nobody has ever heard of (for example: Record of Agarest War), then what will Sony do to bring those games outside of PS3? 

The answer: you're shit out of luck. Reason being is because Sony (and any developers who own the rights to their own games) will not waste any money to bring those games to the PS4, aside from those that every other person calls "AAA games". Where the hell did the term AAA games comes from anyways?

You can use that example for every console ever. The only difference is the newer ones receive more ports than they ever have

45 minutes ago, GarciaFever said:

every other person calls "AAA games". Where the hell did the term AAA games comes from anyways?

The reason that most people call the term "AAA" is mostly high budget games that produce heavy invested type of gameplay that eould appeal to mainstream type of gamers. That's how I kind of think of what it mostly is so I might be kind of right of what it means. 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

10 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Agarest is unknown?

To most people, yes, because they probably don't consider the game as AAA. But as far as I know, Sony will "mostly" bring AAA games, or games that a lot of people will definitely know: over to PS4 as a "remaster" or "port it" to the newer system. But do you think that they will do that to EVERY game if they were to eventually discontinue the PS3? No. Granted, the games with offline servers do not apply, but for the games that are not impacted by any servers going offline, again us people that want to play older games on the PS4 are shit out of luck

This is what's sad about people sticking to newer stuff. They miss out on the potential of the PS3. I really do feel sorry for those people who only have a PS4.

Edited by GarciaFever
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GarciaFever said:

To most people, yes, because they probably don't consider the game as AAA. But as far as I know, Sony will "mostly" bring AAA games, or games that a lot of people will definitely know: over to PS4 as a "remaster" or "port it" to the newer system. But do you think that they will do that to EVERY game if they were to eventually discontinue the PS3? No. Granted, the games with offline servers do not apply, but for the games that are not impacted by any servers going offline, again us people that want to play older games on the PS4 are shit out of luck

This is what's sad about people sticking to newer stuff. They miss out on the potential of the PS3. I really do feel sorry for those people who only have a PS4.

Actually... 

Agarest is on PS Now =D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

That's something =D

And in case of weeb games, reamking is a matter of developers, rather than Sony. ;) 

Reading this thread reminds me that I should purchase another PS3, so far my PS3 has not had any problems but you never know what may happen. I still have so many PS3 games that I really would love to play.

19 hours ago, Morfea said:

Just because it's part of PSN don't mean they can't turn off the support for the consol. Not that hard to remove all PS3 support to PSN or through PSN, but it's not likly to happen anytime soon, unless it's a burden for the rest of PSN. If they ever do it.

I assume PSnow is a way to phase PS3 out too? I mean if you can access many PS3 games through your PS4 (if you live in a country that supports it), then they can remove the support for the "old" firmware and hardware that the PS3 has compared to newer models.

It's their network and consol, I guess they can do as they choose, they already removed alot of support from different hardwares to PSnow.

Whatever you wish then...

7 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Actually... 

Agarest is on PS Now =D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

That's something =D

And in case of weeb games, reamking is a matter of developers, rather than Sony. ;) 

But they left out Record of Agarest War Zero, as well as some other games, so Ha!