Project Platinum: Metroidvania

Kevvik

On 8/24/2017 at 3:25 AM, Kevvik said:

You are still registered as a Warrior.  4 plats and 3x100%.    I hope to work on some special awards to go with the 100% games but just don't have the time right now.  Soon, I hope.

I got Salt and Sanctuary 100% now too.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:23 AM, outcelgeist said:

I'll take Velvet

I've added her temporarily to your profile.  I have gotten the blessing to adopt Odin Sphere Leifthrasir into the PP and will be updating the main post this weekend to reflect this.  Anyone who has received the award can feel free to display it on their own but the award will be disappearing from the lists once I update.

On 8/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

Since Odin Sphere is going to be added to this PP, does that mean the special emblem will be removed? Also when it's added, please promote me to the bronze rank.

I will update you this weekend when I update the main post to reflect the addition to the games list.  Welcome aboard!

On 8/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, MMDE said:

I got Salt and Sanctuary 100% now too.

Awesome!  Did you enjoy it?  I have it downloaded and hope to start it soon once I catch some other stuff up.

Edited by Kevvik

1 minute ago, Kevvik said:

I've added her temporarily to your profile.  I have gotten the blessing to adopt Odin Sphere Leifthrasir into the PP and will be updating the main post this weekend to reflect this.  Anyone who has received the award can feel free to display it on their own but the award will be disappearing from the lists once I update.

I will update you this weekend when I update the main post to reflect the addition to the games list.  Welcome aboard!

That's too bad, I liked the Velvet emblem, though it's understandable.

Great, thanks :D .

23 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

@Kevvik

You may want to look into added to following games to this PP:

What I've read on Rabi-Ribi seems to be encouraging, though some describe it just as a bullet-hell platformer.  There does seem to be some Metroidvania backtracking talked about with hidden treasures.  I think I'll keep an eye on it and see more once the Sony versions are released.

Sundered definitely looks like it will qualify.  Someone else had mentioned it earlier but checking into it just fell off my radar as I got busy with work.

Red Goddess seems to have potential but it's hard to say whether it goes Metroidvania or if it just a more traditional platformer.  It seems to be on sale so I might grab it and check it out.  It would only augment the 100% titles anyway and not affect the platinum lists.

Thanks for the input.  I feel like I have a hard enough time playing my own games due to IRL work/home commitments so I rarely look into anything new right away anymore.

Good day all!

We have 2 new additions to the Metroidvania lexicon!  

Sundered has been added and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir has been fully absorbed as a platinum title.  Odin Sphere Leifthrasir will be removed from the special award category.  Anyone with the award may feel free to display it on their own but it will no longer be recognized within the PP.

Additionally, with the addition of 2 platinums, the benchmark for the gold award has increased to 7.  All gold/platinum level members will be reviewed in 3 weeks to assess they still qualify for their awards.  If not, they will be dropped down.

At that point, I will also begin displaying how many platinums each member holds for the PP.

Thanks for the participation of all members and I look forward to promoting people in the future. ?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Castlevania is completely still a viable option. 

It's because the Lords of Shadow games are not Metroidvanias. Due to PP rules you have to take all the games in a series and even though Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is a "Metroidvania" in order to take it Lords of Shadow 1 & 2 have to come with it.

I made that decision when I was the admin of this PP and @Kevvik agreed when he took over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Good day all!

Sundered has been added and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir has been fully absorbed as a platinum title.  Odin Sphere Leifthrasir will be removed from the special award category.  Anyone with the award may feel free to display it on their own but it will no longer be recognized within the PP.

Additionally, with the addition of 2 platinums, the benchmark for the gold award has increased to 7.  All gold/platinum level members will be reviewed in 3 weeks to assess they still qualify for their awards.  If not, they will be dropped down.

At that point, I will also begin displaying how many platinums each member holds for the PP.

Thanks for the participation of all members and I look forward to promoting people in the future. ?

Not sure if Slain: Back From Hell would be considered metroidvania. It's maps aren't directly connected. You have to go to a main hub and enter each area from there. Otherwise, it has every other aspect of a metroidvania. 

If you add it, you can put another click next to my name.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:24 PM, Kevvik said:

Good day all!

Thanks for the participation of all members and I look forward to promoting people in the future. 1f600.png

Nooo! I just platted my 5th game (Headlander) and was about to start Salt & Sanctuary for #6. Ah well, guess I'll just have to try harder and get one more plat ?. 

With all the Metroidvanias coming out recently (and to come: Bloodstained of course comes to mind), how are you thinking about the size of the PP? This could easily balloon up to a 25-30 game PP over time. I think the sheer number of games could demotivate some people from moving up the ranks like we saw with some of the mixed bag PPs which were recently disbanded. 

On September 3, 2017 at 7:42 PM, ShakeNBake663 said:

So that means I can officially join up, then? :D

I just saw that you added me to bronze, thank you!

No worries! Welcome to the neighbourhood!

On September 3, 2017 at 8:57 PM, soultaker655 said:

It's because the Lords of Shadow games are not Metroidvanias. Due to PP rules you have to take all the games in a series and even though Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is a "Metroidvania" in order to take it Lords of Shadow 1 & 2 have to come with it.

I made that decision when I was the admin of this PP and @Kevvik agreed when he took over.

Thanks for explaining this in my absence. I understand why everyone wants to include the historical precedents but the all-games rule would result in inappropriate inclusions.

6 hours ago, sundrew said:

Nooo! I just platted my 5th game (Headlander) and was about to start Salt & Sanctuary for #6. Ah well, guess I'll just have to try harder and get one more plat 1f600.png

With all the Metroidvanias coming out recently (and to come: Bloodstained of course comes to mind), how are you thinking about the size of the PP? This could easily balloon up to a 25-30 game PP over time. I think the sheer number of games could demotivate some people from moving up the ranks like we saw with some of the mixed bag PPs which were recently disbanded. 

Keep up the good work. Sorry about moving the carrot a little early for you?

Regarding the size of the PP, I think that 16 games would be a good max point for a mixed bag.  This is a great genre with some excellent games. So much so that new stuff is coming out regularly.  I wonder if there would be any benefit to doing something similar to the Challenge Accepted or possibly initiating a sequel...  I'll have to look into it with all the games coming out as well as what the rules would be on something like that.

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

As a note, I recently had published here a guide to Chronicles of Teddy.

Greatly appreciated! I'll update the main post this weekend.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 6:26 AM, Kevvik said:

Keep up the good work. Sorry about moving the carrot a little early for you1f644.png

Regarding the size of the PP, I think that 16 games would be a good max point for a mixed bag.  This is a great genre with some excellent games. So much so that new stuff is coming out regularly.  I wonder if there would be any benefit to doing something similar to the Challenge Accepted or possibly initiating a sequel...  I'll have to look into it with all the games coming out as well as what the rules would be on something like that.

Ah cool, sounds good. Maybe you can split by subtheme (sci-fi/fantasy?) or something similar? I don't think it would make sense to split like Challenge Accepted did by console since I think the majority of these are multiplatform or primarily PS4.

Anddd Salt & Sanctuary is turning out to be harder than I anticipated. I've never played a Souls game and some of the bosses are pretty tough but I'm enjoying the challenge. It may take longer for me to get that rank up than I thought!

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely add Unepic to the list, it plays much like Apotheon, but it's a bit harder.

I wrote a guide for the game as well:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6444-unepic-essential-guide

:)

It even takes place in a huge castle you explore, screen for screen, opening more and more of the map, especially when you kill bosses. It's a bit on the RPG side of things. Side scrolling, platformer, action RPG battle system (much like Apotheon), you learn new skills/magic/pets etc.

Edited by MMDE

I wanna join the hall of fame too lol.

Games that i have platinum/100%:

- Axiom Verge

- Dust: An Elysian Trail

- Guacamelee

- Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition

- Strider

- Sundered

- Teslagrad

- Outland

- Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Directors Cut

- Xeodrifter

- Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exodus

Edited by regislc30

Okay I did it! Move me up from Silver to Gold with my 7 plats:

Apotheon

Dust

Headlander

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Salt and Sanctuary 

Strider

Teslagrad

I've really enjoyed all these games though I think Odin Sphere takes the cake as my favorite. Thanks for keeping up this PP!

6 hours ago, sundrew said:

Okay I did it! Move me up from Silver to Gold with my 7 plats:

Apotheon

Dust

Headlander

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Salt and Sanctuary 

Strider

Teslagrad

I've really enjoyed all these games though I think Odin Sphere takes the cake as my favorite. Thanks for keeping up this PP!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:51 AM, regislc30 said:

I wanna join the hall of fame too lol.

Games that i have platinum/100%:

- Axiom Verge

- Dust: An Elysian Trail

- Guacamelee

- Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition

- Strider

- Sundered

- Teslagrad

- Outland

- Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Directors Cut

- Xeodrifter

- Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exodus

2 Connoisseurs, always a pleasure to add the experience to our ranks. 

Regislc30 - also added the special award for Rogue Legacy. At present, the 100% titles are only a bonus if you have achieved platinum status but I'm trying to work on something to recognize those as well at the lower levels

On 9/24/2017 at 8:39 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

Platted Muramasa Rebirth, so that makes me eligible for the bonus emblem. I prefer Kisuke's emblem

Bonus awarded.  Congratulations!  That game still scares me a bit so I haven't started it yet myself.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:08 AM, MMDE said:

You should definitely add Unepic to the list, it plays much like Apotheon, but it's a bit harder.

I wrote a guide for the game as well:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6444-unepic-essential-guide

:)

It even takes place in a huge castle you explore, screen for screen, opening more and more of the map, especially when you kill bosses. It's a bit on the RPG side of things. Side scrolling, platformer, action RPG battle system (much like Apotheon), you learn new skills/magic/pets etc.

I've been thinking about this but I'm trying to come up with an idea for this PP as it seems like it might grow out of hand with all the new Metroidvania style titles that seem to be on the horizon so I'm not going to add anything else new right now.