Opinions on the difficulty of the puzzles

999 & VLR difficulty (poll)  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is 999 and VLR?

Tell me psnprofiles: What is your opinion on the difficulty of the puzzles in 999 and VLR? In my opinion the level of reasoning required is spot-on--that is to say--I haven't needed to look up a guide and I've had to strain my brain quite a few times. That aside, I do have a problem when I'm held up by being unable to find the correct item in the room; for me, that is the wrong kind of difficulty. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Zozobobo57 said:

I do have a problem when I'm held up by being unable to find the correct item in the room; for me, that is the wrong kind of difficulty.

Yea, this unfortunately sometimes happens.

Puzzles itself are easy to figure out if you know you have all required items. =D

I would say 999 is Just Right and VLR is Easy. It's definitely not like ZTD which was Very Easy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2-4-2017 at 9:03 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Yea, this unfortunately sometimes happens.

Puzzles itself are easy to figure out if you know you have all required items. =D

I would say 999 is Just Right and VLR is Easy. It's definitely not like ZTD which was Very Easy.

Strange how experiences for people are different like that. :) I found ZTD to be quite a bit harder than 999. Or at least, ZTD was more consistently difficult (most rooms I had some kind of trouble with), and 999 only had some hiccups here and there ( f.i. John & Lucy )

(Haven't played VLR yet, so won't say anything about that, but I will in a month or so :D )

10 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

I'd say for 999 , some can be quite challenging but most of the puzzles were just right or easy . As for VLR , i thought they were easy overall , not major difficulties .

The only puzzle I had trouble with in 999 was the crate moving puzzle and the invisible rusty knife item in the kitchen which no human can find and if they say they found it easily they're lying to your face lol

10 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

Strange how experiences for people are different like that. :) I found ZTD to be quite a bit harder than 999. Or at least, ZTD was more consistently difficult (most rooms I had some kind of trouble with), and 999 only had some hiccups here and there ( f.i. John & Lucy )

(Haven't played VLR yet, so won't say anything about that, but I will in a month or so :D )

I was talking about DS 999. I'll see for myself if they changed something in the remake (besides the last puzzle :/).

Though, it may be affected by the fact that I already know solutions to all puzzles, lol.

• 1 month later...

Oh, that sounds interesting. Was meaning to eventually get into these games. I guess right now would be a good time to get into them seeing as how the 3rd games are coming out this fall I assume. I do remember playing the 1st game on the DS a while back and enjoying it but got help up due to backlog of games xD

• 1 month later...
On 11.4.2017 at 8:05 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

I'll see for myself if they changed something in the remake (besides the last puzzle :/).

Though, it may be affected by the fact that I already know solutions to all puzzles, lol.

There's actually one other thing they altered, but it affects VLR.

Remember that you were forced to play on easy difficulty in the elevator the first time? Now you can directly choose hard difficulty and get the gold file right from the start.

@topic:
The puzzles in 999 were rather easy overall with the only exception for me being one switch-puzzle in the torture room. VLR had too many puzzles that weren't really my favorite type so I had to look up solutions quite often. Especially the Q-room was annoying. :/ Wonder how it will be on my second run, though.

Edited by Crimson Idol

Having gone through VLR when it came out originally and now trying 999 for the first time, I agree that 999 is overall easier. VLR had a lot of rooms where I need to take notes, look up guides etc. whereas after 7 escape rooms on 999 I have only had mild problems, and those were probably most due to me not paying enough attention to be honest.

But easy to recommend both, excited to see where the 999 history takes me! :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 1:58 AM, Zozobobo57 said:

The only puzzle I had trouble with in 999 was the crate moving puzzle and the invisible rusty knife item in the kitchen which no human can find and if they say they found it easily they're lying to your face lol

To be fair when you're searching the shelves, the game DOES tell you there's a box that can be searched on them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Silencer0004 said:

I had to look up the secret file walkthrough in VLR two times and I'm 100% sure, I would never have come to the conclusion :D

But all in all the difficulty is perfectly right. Hopefully there will be more stuff in the future.

Zero Escape is truly finished, but the creator of the series is working on another game, working title Project Psync, and he's said we should learn more about it sometime in 2018 :) 

4 hours ago, Silencer0004 said:

I had to look up the secret file walkthrough in VLR two times and I'm 100% sure, I would never have come to the conclusion :D

But all in all the difficulty is perfectly right. Hopefully there will be more stuff in the future.

The trilogy is a finished product (VERY FORTUNATELY, #OperationBluebird #TheOnlyThingWestDidRight), nothing more will be made regarding Zero Escape.

Unless we actually get the original 2018 Nonary Game.

(Okay, where are the kidnaps, I want to see the real Nonary Game :awesome: )

5 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

Zero Escape is truly finished, but the creator of the series is working on another game, working title Project Psync, and he's said we should learn more about it sometime in 2018 :) 

4 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

The trilogy is a finished product (VERY FORTUNATELY, #OperationBluebird #TheOnlyThingWestDidRight), nothing more will be made regarding Zero Escape.

Unless we actually get the original 2018 Nonary Game.

(Okay, where are the kidnaps, I want to see the real Nonary Game :awesome: )

Sorry for the misconception. I meant more of this kinda games :) 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread~

I thought this game’s (most) puzzles were really difficult. I couldn’t figure it out a lot of times and had to look up the solution. I didn’t have this problem so much in 999. I think this one is much harder because I have dyscalculia and I suck at remembering random letters and numbers that have more than 4. I also really suck at puzzles, I’m grateful there’s a Wiki for this game cause I would be forever stuck... Games like these make me feel so dumb. xD But yeah I think it’s definitely harder than 999. I had a lot of fun though

Edited by LoveInHell

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would have to say that VLR is more difficult. 999 had a lot of rooms that felt like all you had to do was find a few items, combine said items, and maybe do a puzzle or two. Usually nothing too complicated, aside from some items being practically invisible like the knife in the kitchen. In VLR I had to really think in almost every room because of all the different types of puzzles they pack into each one.