[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

5 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

For the second question: No, it's from 2010. Only games from 2005 or earlier count for the retro challenge.

But now that you mentioned the retro challenge I got reminded about something I wanted to suggest. What do you think about changing the retro challenge a bit. Instead of saying 2005 is the mark, why not take 10 years. What that means is that every game from 2008 would count. We could also take the month of the release into account, effectively raising the amount of games eligable for that challenge every month.

@SyIaris @eigen-space @RizzleAbbey12

Ok cool.

If it fits the June theme, then I’ll take it. I’ll try and find a way to fit in a retro game at another time.

Completed this month's one ^_^ (Atelier Totori The Adventurer of Arland), which also counts towards:

Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event. (It takes Bulls and Summer Challenge)

Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month.(It depends on if mixing alchemical ingredients in a cauldron counts as a water activity)

Complete a Game in which you got your first trophy a year ago. (Took 6 years and 5 months)

• Like 1

I finally got my platinum for this month.

Finished Oceanhorn the last day. It's a nice little Zelda clone.

The game is set on several little island to which you travel with your boat.

It also counts for the hardcore challange because you can fish, which also is required for the platinum.

Also another star for the because of this event challenge.

Maybe I can finish Song of the Deep till the end of the month, but I'm also playing Kingdom Hearts again.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I'm also playing Kingdom Hearts again.

Which one are you playing? I want to plat them all before the new game in January but don't know if I'll get frustrated with Chain Of Memories.

giphy.gif

Edited by fishy10101
Typing is hard.

19 minutes ago, fishy10101 said:

Which one are you playing? I want to plat them all before the new game in January but don't know if I'll get frustrated with Chain Of Memories.

giphy.gif

I want to play them in chronological order and I am at the first, so Birth by Sleep.

I doubt that I will be able to finish all KH games befor KH 3 will be out.

Good luck to you though.

So far I have Jurassic Park: The Survivors as my 100% as the game is by Telltale (so a giant mini-game).

In it, you have to escape a Mosasaur through the lake it inhabits.

I also have done the story for Arkham City: Return to Arkham which is set on a partially sunken area of Gotham. This involves many puzzles to manipulate the water so that you don't drown (Batman doesn't like freezing water you see).

• Like 1

@Abbey97 Sorry for the late response, it was finals week and I just started my first job today so I've been extremely busy. 

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. It always sucks losing a family member and I know the toll it can have on person's life. You have my condolences. 

Now onto some happier things. CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR DREAM JOB! If you don't mind sharing, what is it?

And finally, of course I would like my place back in the event. If possible I'd like Megatagmension to count for last month themes as it was prepped before the deadline and takes place in the future with futuristic weapons and the like. As far as this month goes, Birth by Sleep does have a large fountain/water area in Radiant Garden so I think it would count for this month. :D

Thanks in advance, and as always thank you for continuing to run such a great event with such joy and understanding. It's greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kent said:

@Abbey97 Sorry for the late response, it was finals week and I just started my first job today so I've been extremely busy. 

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. It always sucks losing a family member and I know the toll it can have on person's life. You have my condolences. 

Now onto some happier things. CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR DREAM JOB! If you don't mind sharing, what is it?

And finally, of course I would like my place back in the event. If possible I'd like Megatagmension to count for last month themes as it was prepped before the deadline and takes place in the future with futuristic weapons and the like. As far as this month goes, Birth by Sleep does have a large fountain/water area in Radiant Garden so I think it would count for this month. :D

Thanks in advance, and as always thank you for continuing to run such a great event with such joy and understanding. It's greatly appreciated. 

No problem! Congrats on finishing Finals Week! :D And on starting your new job! I hope your new job goes well and if you don't mind sharing, what is it your doing?

Thank you Kent, it means a lot ?

And thank you again! I've just done my induction week with them so now I'm going to be learning some more advanced stuff when I go back on Monday, so things are finally starting to pick up :). I'm currently working as a Care Assistant with the potential to work my way up with their help and support with learning, which is amazing!

Consider those two games counted for the event! I'm going to do some updating tomorrow, if my cold eases up a little, so I'll add those in then.

Your welcome! Thank you for continuously being in the event and making it a joy to run!

After a long time (due to lack of time and Pokémon addiction...), I return with a game that I've completed two weeks ago... I completed Horizon Chase Turbo. Well, a standard racing game usually does not have bodies of water near the track, but this game uses lakes and the sea next to some tracks just as part of the presentation - maybe the best proof that makes this game counts for the theme of this month is this screenshot below:

sjU1Z17.jpg

Any challenge has not been achieved by this game as well. Here's also my updated stats:

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +16

100% completed: +8

Completion: +1,77%

• Like 1

Okay, things should be updated now. Let me know if I missed something!

Took a bit longer than I thought to get back, but at least I'm not forced to get up at unholy o'clock anymore. For my part, I completed Assassin's Creed Origins in which several hours were spent swimming and trying not to be run over by random NPCs in reed boats that inexplicably have it out for you.

All this talk of Kingdom Hearts in various event threads is making me want to play one.  :P

@JoaoQuique Updated, and thanks for the easy copy/paste stats. Which Pokemon game have you been getting lost in?

@Kent Welcome back, and congrats on the new job - hope it goes well!

@Psy-Tychist Got you down for Jurassic Park so far. You'd think with all of Batman's tech and planning he could make a suit that could handle a little water...

@MarkusT1992 Updated with both Oceanhorn and Song of the Deep, but haven't placed any challenge stars for the latter if it qualifies for some.

@Dessane Nice work, I'm guessing the multiplayer is less dead on the new one?

@Yomako01 Nicely done - those have always looked a bit difficult to me. Added for all but hardcode, need to see what Abbey thinks; seems a bit iffy to me.

@ShogunCroCop Added Heavy Rain. May not have a lake or something, but water features so heavily in the story...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Okay, things should be updated now. Let me know if I missed something!

Took a bit longer than I thought to get back, but at least I'm not forced to get up at unholy o'clock anymore. For my part, I completed Assassin's Creed Origins in which several hours were spent swimming and trying not to be run over by random NPCs in reed boats that inexplicably have it out for you.

All this talk of Kingdom Hearts in various event threads is making me want to play one.  :P

@MarkusT1992 Updated with both Oceanhorn and Song of the Deep, but haven't placed any challenge stars for the latter if it qualifies for some.

Have you ever played a Kingdom Hearts game? If not you should give it a try unless you don't like Disney and/or Final Fantasy. Then it might not be for you.

I just wanted to update with Song of the Deep. I don't think it counts for any challenge. The whole game is set underwater with no minigames in it. You can collect treasures but that's it.

Also it seems that the different locations around the world theme will win. Are only real world locations allowed or what exactly does the theme mean.

I want to use Assassin's Creed Brotherhood next month, which for me should count no matter which theme wins.

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Have you ever played a Kingdom Hearts game? If not you should give it a try unless you don't like Disney and/or Final Fantasy. Then it might not be for you.

I just wanted to update with Song of the Deep. I don't think it counts for any challenge. The whole game is set underwater with no minigames in it. You can collect treasures but that's it.

Also it seems that the different locations around the world theme will win. Are only real world locations allowed or what exactly does the theme mean.

I want to use Assassin's Creed Brotherhood next month, which for me should count no matter which theme wins.

I rented the PS2 ones when they came out; definitely beat 2, not sure if I beat 1 or gave up after getting lost in Monstro. Don't remember them terribly well.  :dunno:

How'd you like it? Is it similar to Abzu?

Two-vote difference? Hard to say, we've had much bigger gaps flip around.

I wasn't involved in setting up the themes so I'm not certain, but I'd think reasonably different largeish regions in a game would count?

12 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I rented the PS2 ones when they came out; definitely beat 2, not sure if I beat 1 or gave up after getting lost in Monstro. Don't remember them terribly well.  :dunno:

How'd you like it? Is it similar to Abzu?

Two-vote difference? Hard to say, we've had much bigger gaps flip around.

I wasn't involved in setting up the themes so I'm not certain, but I'd think reasonably different largeish regions in a game would count?

I also only really played KH 2. I got the first one much later and played a bit of Dream Drop Distance. But KH2 was enough to make me want to play more.

I'd say they are both very different games. Abzu is more an exploration game with very easy puzzles, whereas Song of the Deep is a Metroidvania.

At first I didn't really like Song of the Deep but later, when I got more gear and could collect more it was much better. I'm not a fan of Metroidvania games.

Sure it still can change but AC Brotherhood counts for both themes so I'm set no matter the theme.

Per your deffinition something like Kingdom of Amalur would count then. You have a forest area and a dessert area at least. Both are quite large.

34 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I also only really played KH 2. I got the first one much later and played a bit of Dream Drop Distance. But KH2 was enough to make me want to play more.

I'd say they are both very different games. Abzu is more an exploration game with very easy puzzles, whereas Song of the Deep is a Metroidvania.

At first I didn't really like Song of the Deep but later, when I got more gear and could collect more it was much better. I'm not a fan of Metroidvania games.

Sure it still can change but AC Brotherhood counts for both themes so I'm set no matter the theme.

Per your deffinition something like Kingdom of Amalur would count then. You have a forest area and a dessert area at least. Both are quite large.

Seems to be the more common one, for some reason. It's a great game, but I knew plenty of people that didn't make it past the weird opening.

Wow, no kidding - I was going by the banner on your profile, but it definitely goes in a different direction. Looks a little awkward to control. Glad it improved later on!

Metroidvanias got popular and that came with a bunch of strange and/or low-quality games. Pretty hit or miss even if you do like them.

Always handy.  :P

@Abbey97 may override me, though - that's just a guess. Sounds like it could fit.

22 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Seems to be the more common one, for some reason. It's a great game, but I knew plenty of people that didn't make it past the weird opening.

Wow, no kidding - I was going by the banner on your profile, but it definitely goes in a different direction. Looks a little awkward to control. Glad it improved later on!

Metroidvanias got popular and that came with a bunch of strange and/or low-quality games. Pretty hit or miss even if you do like them.

Always handy.  :P

@Abbey97 may override me, though - that's just a guess. Sounds like it could fit.

The problem with KH was that the first game was kind of rare. I bought KH 2 used at Gamestop but they never had the first.

Before I started Song of the Deep I had no clue what type of game it is. I thought it was something like Unmechanical, which was a more or less linear puzzle adventure. Seems I was wrong.

Song of the Deep is made by Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank and Spyro) so they know how to make good games. I also liked Xeodrifters, a game that was part of PS+ a few years ago. I never would have bought the game though.

I think my problem with Metroidvania games is that I can't get everything I come past. Like I said it was much better later on when I could get all the treasure. I normaly tend to collect everything befor moving on.

I just wanted to give an example what could count if your are correct. Still a great game though.

We will see how the theme was actually meant.

2 minutes ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Is this something I can just join at any time or did I have to sign up back at the beginning of the year? Because somehow i've never seen this topic, I love the idea, and coincidentally I have completed the goal for this month already by getting the Platinum to Oceanhorn.

You can join whenever you want. You just can't get any ranks for past months.

Just post your stats like stated in the first post.

Edited by MarkusT1992
  • Like 1

Okay, heres what i got (including Oceanhorn. if I can count that for this month take that one off the achieved plats, if not i'll start next month.)

Current number of achieved platinum trophies - 86

Current number of 100% completed titles without a platinum trophy - 8
Current completion percentage - 66.56%

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Okay, heres what i got (including Oceanhorn. if I can count that for this month take that one off the achieved plats, if not i'll start next month.)

Current number of achieved platinum trophies - 86

Current number of 100% completed titles without a platinum trophy - 8
Current completion percentage - 66.56%

Welcome! Got you added and counted Oceanhorn. You completed that faster than most I've seen, impressive work.  :)

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

The problem with KH was that the first game was kind of rare. I bought KH 2 used at Gamestop but they never had the first.

Before I started Song of the Deep I had no clue what type of game it is. I thought it was something like Unmechanical, which was a more or less linear puzzle adventure. Seems I was wrong.

Song of the Deep is made by Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank and Spyro) so they know how to make good games. I also liked Xeodrifters, a game that was part of PS+ a few years ago. I never would have bought the game though.

I think my problem with Metroidvania games is that I can't get everything I come past. Like I said it was much better later on when I could get all the treasure. I normaly tend to collect everything befor moving on.

I just wanted to give an example what could count if your are correct. Still a great game though.

We will see how the theme was actually meant.

Ah, that would explain it. Yay for Blockbuster?

I would have guessed puzzle over metroidvania, that's for sure. Xeodrifters caught my eye, glad to hear you liked it! Bit of a genre jump when the other games you mentioned are platformers/shooters, at least going by the video I peeked at.

Yeah, that can be pretty frustrating... especially when the layout makes it hard to find your way back later on.