How would you rate E3 2017 overall?

ShadowStar83x

How would you rate E3 2017 overall?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate E3 2017 overall?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Waffles!

It gets a D. It would have been worse if not for Shadow of the Colossus and Spiderman which were the only real highlights for me. The former is a remake of a PS2 era game and the latter is a game we already knew was happening, that says it all.

On the other hand there was plenty of cringey material  for CrowbCat to work with: https://youtu.be/uQ-XcWCDfmE

Waffles because numbered grades still make no sense to me.

I was much less invested in E3 than I was last year.

Microsoft, as usual, did not manage to provide me with any reason to buy one of their consoles again.

Ubi and Sony both did not manage to surprise me - Ubi leaked their surprise game (Mario + Rabbids) before E3 and Sony had no unknowns except for the Shadow Of The Colossus remake.

Nintendo's event was the only one I watched live, and boy was it a doosy. In just thirty minutes, they made up for about seven years of me not caring for what they're doing. (For those who want to know, that cutoff date in 2010 is when Mario Galaxy 2 was released, their last must-have title for me until the Switch arrived)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

Time to put it out to pasture, E3 simply isn't needed anymore. Games are announced constantly, there's simply no need to have it anymore. Consoles come every few years, so just have your own special show to announce it.

No. Terrible idea. E3's a world wide stage where all eyes are on you; it's much more effective than regular announcements are.

Plus it's just plain fun and exciting for anyone who's interested in video games.

• Like 1

I think it was a decent event, so I give it a B.

The problem about this year was, that many games were already shown during the last E3. Generally it would be better if the developers only show the games that do come out between June-April/May, like a Season presentation on what to expect in the upcoming gaming year, and not what might be released in the next 2-4 years.

Bethesda did it the right way with The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Never shown before and all three of them are expected to be released in September/October, while the likes of Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human, or God of War, still don't have a conclusive date, even after the second presentation now.

Is Waffles a bad rating? I chose Waffles, but it's more like a C in my head.

I don't think E3 itself was bad, because the lineup was actually rather good... except it wasn't new. I told a friend it felt more like a summary of last year, with some added bonuses (like a new AC, Beyond Good and Evil, Monster Hunter...)

One thing I do believe is that the Microsoft conference sucked ass compared to anything else. Ubisoft and Nintendo were probably the best, and then Sony was fine (it felt really short though).

It was like E3 2016 lite

Who doesn't like waffles?   Hmmm, the Belgians love them apparently. :P 

I thought it was good, not as exciting as the past few years, but I appreciated the extent of gameplay footage shown as opposed to cinematic advertising, that's a good thing, just let's do away with scripted voice chat and YT reactions...but keep the cringe, it's part of what makes E3 fun to watch.  

9 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Time to put it out to pasture, E3 simply isn't needed anymore. Games are announced constantly, there's simply no need to have it anymore. Consoles come every few years, so just have your own special show to announce it.

8 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

No. Terrible idea. E3's a world wide stage where all eyes are on you; it's much more effective than regular announcements are.

Plus it's just plain fun and exciting for anyone who's interested in video games.

I actually was on the "E3 is dead" camp until the Nintendo video presentation. They reminded me of what E3 should be, how amazing it could be if it was done right. Everyone just keeping their projects secret until June, when we have a few days of non-stop jawdroppers. Add some new stuff from games that were revealed the year before but not yet released, and everybody's happy.

4 minutes ago, BadTitanSlayer said:

Disappointing. I really wanted a new Souls game. Like Bloodborne 2 would have made me happy. 

Might be they're just not far enough with the game yet, not everybody shows off a game before development starts.

But... From Software must be working on something, right?

What pisses me off is just how greedy Sony fanboys have gotten. It's like since there wasn't TLOU2 people automatically give it shit...like are you kidding me? God of War, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit Become Human, Uncharted and TLL JUST for Sony's side. Then you had Ubisoft coming through making AC look good again and really blowing me away with The Crew 2. All Bethesda had that caught people's eyes were Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2, EA's mostly sucked and the only thing I cared for was NFS Payback. Microsoft as usual didn't have jack except for a powerful console with no games to run on it.

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

It's like since there wasn't TLOU2 people automatically give it shit

It's not really because of that.

You said it yourself in the next sentence.

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

God of War, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit Become Human, Uncharted and TLL JUST for Sony's side

Literally NOTHING we haven't seen yet. (I'm ignoring SotC as it's remaster)

The only thing Sony announced was Monster Hunter and the trailer they used made it look bad.

I don't think it's as bad as a lot of gamers  think, but it was far from great too. It left much to be desired. It was very meh. 

I think E3 is very watered down cause they're are so many press conferences coming up. Games-Com, Paris Games Week, Pax east, Tokyo Game show, and PSX. There a lot of them now and I think they have so save some announcements for as well. They can't put all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

• Like 1

E3 has gone way overboard on the spectacle stuff (back in the days I attended, in the late 90s, it was THE serious place for showing off the goods), but that's OK if the games are top notch. These, however, weren't. Some stars, but lots of yawns as well. No big surprises, either.

Grade: C

Not showing off, not falling behind.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1