I'm buying a vita tomorrow, what games should I get?

angelgrievous

If you have PS Plus, that would be a great way to get pretty decent to very good games on the Vita. I feel like some people sleep on the PS Plus games you can get for the Vita.

Also, if you're a fan of the PS1 Classic games, you can get those on the Vita too! It is such an awesome system to have, so congrats on joining the club! :)

So I just got home with the Vita.  Overall I'm happy.  The system is a little rough but nothing major.  I asked the guy what model is was and he didn't know.  Luckily it's the OLED screen which is the one I wanted.  So I got the OLED VIta, an 8gb memory card, Playstation Allstars Battle, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom for $120.  I'm playing around with it now, downloading some games and what not.  I'm pretty excited.  I've wanted one for years.

50 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

So I just got home with the Vita.  Overall I'm happy.  The system is a little rough but nothing major.  I asked the guy what model is was and he didn't know.  Luckily it's the OLED screen which is the one I wanted.  So I got the OLED VIta, an 8gb memory card, Playstation Allstars Battle, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom for $120.  I'm playing around with it now, downloading some games and what not.  I'm pretty excited.  I've wanted one for years.

I would say for the oled and memory card, that's about the price I would expect. I don't have an oled :'(

On 16/07/2017 at 7:44 AM, angelgrievous said:

Nice one, the same as the one I bought in Akihabara a little over a year ago. If I remember correctly I messaged tron from my hotel room like a snob. In any case it's a great system so enjoy your time on it. Hey, is that MVC3?

If you're after racing games, the Vita port of Need for Speed: Most Wanted is extremely good. City a little less populated than home versions, but otherwise very close. Probably the most fully realised racer available on the system. Looks, sounds and controls great. 

Wipeout 2048 is good too, although over-reliant on a multiplayer component which is probably completely dead now, especially with the Omega Collection out. If you can pick it up cheap and don't mind a low trophy percentage, add it to your list. 

Then there's the simpler, more arcade-y racers, Motorstorm RC and Table Top Racing. Should be very cheap now, and a blast to play, although they won't last long. And don't forget the PSP racers: Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure and Pulse, and if you can handle the bizarre lack of a career mode, Gran Turismo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Nice one, the same as the one I bought in Akihabara a little over a year ago. If I remember correctly I messaged tron from my hotel room like a snob. In any case it's a great system so enjoy your time on it. Hey, is that MVC3?

Yeah, Ultimate Marcel vs. Capcom 3.  It's pretty fun but I probably wont keep it.  

On 7/14/2017 at 10:31 AM, angelgrievous said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm not against anime at all.  I am just aware that the vita is home to some super anime anime games.  I love the persona series so I'll check out those.  Also going to get the Ys games. 

Welcome to the Vita club!

The Vita is my favorite console and I hope you get good use out of yours. You mentioned it being a little rough to get started, and I don't believe in pretending problems don't exist. So let me prepare you for one of the worst ones... the Store. The Store is both good and terrible at the same time. The good is that it's easy to search and the categories are pretty good, but the other stuff is terrible. The worst part is with games that have lots of DLC (e.g. costume DLC, a lot of which is free). Scrolling through the download list is awful, especially with all your PS3 digital downloads clogging up the list. Then you have to download them one at a time, and whenever you go back to the download list, it starts at the top again. You can initiate downloads from the web version of the store on a computer/smartphone/tablet, but that doesn't always work. I wish they'd patch the list to work more like the PS4, where you can see all the DLC under each individual game's page, and even download everything all at once. But Sony isn't adding features to the Vita at this point.

With that out of the way, the rest is mostly great! PS4 Remote Play works pretty well, except for games that need you to use the touchscreen frequently (especially in shooters).

There is a pretty active group of Vita owners here, so I would ask if you ever have questions about how good Vita ports are, etc.

I still think Gravity Rush is probably the best game that makes full use of the Vita. There are lots of good suggestions here.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:49 AM, tpepper1985 said:

Top 9 of the best Vita games I have played in order of how good I thought they were! Some of them are available on other systems, still I played them on Vita and had a blast with them.

1. Persona 4 Golden (Note not finished about 60% of the way through it, but it's already won the top spot for me)
  2. Final Fantasy X HD
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Guacamelee!
  5. Severed
  6. Muramasa Rebirth
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  9. Gravity Rush (The PS4 Remaster is better though if you ask me ...)

Great list. I haven't played Final Fantasy X yet but it's in my collection. Persona 4 Golden is installed but I always seem to play something else. I think my progress is similar to yours... I need to finish it! Hotline Miami is fun but I'm not great at it so I'm still early on in the levels. Guacamelee is one of my favorites, and I loved it enough to Platinum it again on PS4. Severed was another gem that fit perfectly on the Vita. Muramasa and Rayman are games I haven't finished yet, some of those Rayman levels are beyond my skills I think. Uncharted is a good game to show off what the system can do, but it has some stupid touch mechanics that seem to be tacked on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Persona 4 Golden is installed but I always seem to play something else.

I had it installed on my Vita for 3 years before I got the balls to start it since I knew it was a massive game, I can't put it down now ... It's even stopped me playing my PS4 at the moment (unless the battery is dead haha) which is a testament to how great it is. Start it and you won't regret it!

Edited by tpepper1985

6 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

I had it installed on my Vita for 3 years before I got the balls to start it since I knew it was a massive game, I can't put it down now ... It's even stopped me playing my PS4 at the moment (unless the battery is dead haha) which is a testament to how great it is. Start it and you won't regret it!

Yeah, I have the same "massive game" issue. I was stuck on a boss for a long time, then I beat him (after asking for strategies here, which worked). But then I stopped again.

Thanks for the encouragement, I need to go back to it, especially since I have P5 waiting for me on PS4 (which I can play with Remote Play).

@angelgrievous, I recommend the official Vita cradle. This is for the original model, and somehow I didn't discover it until a month ago. I really like it. It feel like it puts less stress on the connector and port on the Vita. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JKARZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by MosesRockefeller

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I have the same "massive game" issue. I was stuck on a boss for a long time, then I beat him (after asking for strategies here, which worked). But then I stopped again.

Thanks for the encouragement, I need to go back to it, especially since I have P5 waiting for me on PS4 (which I can play with Remote Play some).

@angelgrievous, I recommend the official Vita cradle. This is for the original model, and somehow I didn't discover it until a month ago. I really like it. It feel like it puts less stress on the connector and port on the Vita. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JKARZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for this.  I'm going to order one today.  Also, I was just going through all my downloads and couldn't stand having to scroll through everything multiple times.  What a pain in the ass.  I've been playing Suikoden on the Vita and it looks great. 

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

Thanks for this.  I'm going to order one today.  Also, I was just going through all my downloads and couldn't stand having to scroll through everything multiple times.  What a pain in the ass.  I've been playing Suikoden on the Vita and it looks great. 

One other thing. If you're like me and you want to have multiple charge cables (I leave one plugged in at home, one at work, and one in my backpack... probably overkill but I'd hate to not be able to charge it if the battery were dying), I swear by this Insignia cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H020VUO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sadly it's a bit pricey from Amazon. Best Buy had them on clearance about a year ago, and that's when I discovered them. I've used other generic cables and had them flake out on me, but that brand has worked great. Also, I love that it has Mini USB on there for phones, Vita 2, Dual Shock 4, etc. And it has a PSP cable if that helps at all. I've never used the car adapter or the wall plug, I always use them with Anker portable power banks and AC banks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH8ZW02/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Yeah, Ultimate Marcel vs. Capcom 3.  It's pretty fun but I probably wont keep it.  

I think that one is quite a rare Vita game, I'd be keeping it if that's the case. Can anyone else confirm this?

• Like 1

Hey all!

Dont want to hijack this thread but i just bought a PS Vita last week. I have been a PS+ member since 3-4 years now? I got a couple of really cool games. 

But with the ongoing sale there are also some PS Vita titles on the sale. And i would like to buy some more games for it. 

I like RPG's, never played a JRPG would love to try one but maybe there a some that are not too "werid" in the beginning? I like to play action-adventure games, not really into racing. 

Games im interested in reading this thread are: 

Rainbow moon (PS+ on PS3)

Muramasa Rebirth (PS+ title)

Spoiler

Collection (PS+)

Uncharted 

Severed 

Gravity Rush 

KZ Mercenary

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

Games i ask your opinion about: 

Bastion 

Rollers of the Realm

Foul Play 

Edited by ghostly-legend

38 minutes ago, ghostly-legend said:

Bastion 

Rollers of the Realm

Foul Play 

Of those three games I've only played Bastion, but I strongly recommend it. It's cross-buy, which came in handy for me due to one trophy that I found easier to do on PS4 with its better analog sticks. But it really does play great on Vita. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm not sure what you mean by "weird", but Persona 4 Golden might be a good way to dive into JRPGs? It's not too "pervy", and the story isn't very weird if you like sci-fi and/or fantasy.

2 hours ago, ghostly-legend said:

Hey all!

Dont want to hijack this thread but i just bought a PS Vita last week. I have been a PS+ member since 3-4 years now? I got a couple of really cool games. 

But with the ongoing sale there are also some PS Vita titles on the sale. And i would like to buy some more games for it. 

I like RPG's, never played a JRPG would love to try one but maybe there a some that are not too "werid" in the beginning? I like to play action-adventure games, not really into racing. 

Games im interested in reading this thread are: 

Rainbow moon (PS+ on PS3)

Muramasa Rebirth (PS+ title)

Reveal hidden contents

Collection (PS+)

Uncharted 

Severed 

Gravity Rush 

KZ Mercenary

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

Bastion 

Rollers of the Realm

Foul Play 

MY THREAD!!!!! NOOOOO!!

Just kidding.  I just bought a bigger memory card and I would advise you to do the same.  I didn't want to get the 64 because I've heard of problems.  I've got a bunch of my PSOne games on it and they are just lovely.