Why the overlap between trophy hunting and anime?

rdhight

This thread got me wondering about something. Why are forums that deal specifically with trophies so clotted with avatars and sig images featuring anime girls? There's a specific visual look to trophy communities that's very recognizable. Does anyone know why there is such overlap?

I mean, I earn trophies and watch anime, but I don't really think of the two things as related.

PSNP has a large anime base, myself included.

A lot of people also consider this their form of social networking instead of say Facebook(which I loath, but use to keep up to date on who's pregnant, getting married, etc).

I also feel more comfortable talking and posting about a lot of anime here than elsewhere. 

@Atlas however I don't think it's a teenager thing. Most of the people I talk to very frequently on here are in their mid to late 20s. 

But I do believe it's a reason of feeling comfortable why people have conversations, sigs, avatars, about anime on this forum. 

To further explain reasons why games and anime are related, I shall now summon @Satoshi Ookami to elaborate on the many games that are either in anime style, or based on anime as he is more experienced than I (and I play a decent amount of anime style games)  : D

• Like 1

I rotate between avatars featuring my favorite female characters from anime (the ones I became fans of via watching the anime/reading the manga that featured the character in question). Sure, some may find my current choice of anime-related images (current avatar, trophy card) questionable (and they have every right to do so, since it is a free world and everybody is entitled to their own opinions), but they represent the characters that I enjoy from their respective franchises.

Also, like @Dav9834 mentioned above, it is also due to the fact that there is a rather large community of awesome male & female anime/manga fans on this site and this is one place that allows us to be comfortable about sharing/displaying our passion for anime/manga without having to worry too much about others judging us (I found this out on Facebook the hard way, and outside of my current profile banner image on my FB profile page, I don't post/mention anime in any of the things I write on FB due to the negative and rude comments I was getting from people I knew along with complete strangers).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

@Atlas however I don't think it's a teenager thing. Most of the people I talk to very frequently on here are in their mid to late 20s. 

I would say most of these members (not just here) started using forums when they are teenagers. It would be common if they continue support anime or other entertainment by ages. 

1 minute ago, DarkHarmonixer said:

i think a lot of gamers are anime fans (not all mind you just a lot).

I would agree with that statement.

And yet, on more general gaming sites like r/PS4, I commonly see stuff like "too much weebshit for me. Wish they would make this game, but without the weebshit." And whenever trophies are mentioned, people are jumping all over themselves like you win a hundred dollars for being the first one to post "Trophies are fucking meaningless." There's a very different, sour, insulting atmosphere around both of those things. Yet you go to a trophy site and scroll down and it's just anime gif after anime gif.

2 hours ago, Atlas said:

I would say most of these members (not just here) started using forums when they are teenagers. It would be common if they continue support anime or other entertainment by ages. 

Ahhh I misunderstood! I know what you're saying now! 

Ya I def agree! 

Because it's usually anime -> games.

Many people start watching anime for some reason and eventually, once they are immersed in the medium enough, they start realizing their favorite anime also have non-anime media. Eventually, after manga period, many people actually start realizing, there are MANY anime games so eventually they start playing.

And as with anime, it gets addicting =D Which is why eventually they start playing 'normal' games as well :) 

Pretty much like this, I guess?

I just always assumed it was an overlap of hardcore gamers and anime, instead of trophy hunters, since video games and the average anime's have a lot of similarities. And trophy sites just happen to be the home of the hardcore gamer. I mean, I know that's the connection for me, personally.

But it seems like most people agree on a cause so maybe I was wrong lol.

• Like 1

As far as I know, there isn't a single anime that's ever interested me.

That's fine though, I don't feel the need to be an asshole about it.

And on top of that, some 'dem shows have some really killer themes. Ready Steady Go by L'arc~En~Ciel, from FMA, Rewrite by Asain Kungfu Generation, from FMA or Brotherhood, one of those things, I Ran (So Far Away) by Bowling for Soup, from Saint Seiya Omega all spring to mind.

I guess a lot of people who like anime like gaming and vice versa, especially since Japan is pretty big in both industries.  I used to watch anime when I was a kid and in my teenage years as well, but after becoming an adult I lost interest or kind of grew out of it. I was always a gamer since I was 10, but anime was only a newer but transient phase in my life that all began with the pokemon games and yugioh, and died out soon after. Although a lot of my friends who like anime like games, but I don't it as common the other way around though as I meet plenty of gamers who don't care about anime. 

The Playstation is undoubtedly the JRPG capital of the world.  So, possibly for that reason alone, you'll get a lot of anime fans on just about any Playstation fan site.

As others have mentioned also, gaming and anime share a lot of thematic similarities.  Even those that aren't specifically anime-styled or made in Japan.  Not too surprising that the they might go hand-in-hand at times or appeal to similar crowds.

Also, gaming trends younger... and anime is popular among certain groups of youths.

Edited by Dreakon13