Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

23 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Sadly, that is the main case with most of these games. I don't think the devs hate your guts - it's just that they have to go back and update the patch after the newest one breaks the game and makes the platinum trophy impossible, which is SERIOUS BUSINESS for most of us. xD

That's why I usually wait until I know a game is finished before playing it. Of course, they haven't even finished the story mode yet. For all I know, they could add the remaining episodes as DLC and really screw me over. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

In other news... It's been a bad week to be a game on my backlog list.

Platinum #172 - South Park: The Fractured But Whole

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/77dc6c/trophies/1L367a8d.png

The combat in this game is surprisingly good. At least on Mastermind difficulty, I thought it was hard enough to be challenging, but easy enough that it never felt frustrating. I think I only got a game over on some of the gimmicky fights, and never more than once or twice. Captain Diabetes is clearly broken. I liked pairing him with Call Girl and Toolshed, and I generally kept my character as a hard-hitting tank. Wouldn't mind playing through the game a second time on Diabolic, but I guess we got other games to get to...

Anyway, I've always loved South Park. I never got into The Simpsons when I was a kid, and I thought Family Guy was overrated right from the start. When South Park first came out, it reminded me of an adult version of Calvin and Hobbes, and I thought the writing was brilliant. I'll admit that I haven't followed the show much since around season 7 or 8, but I caught up on the newer seasons while playing The Long D. It was kinda cool because they obviously used a lot of that material as inspiration for the video game. And now that I'm done, I guess I can go back and watch all the episodes that I missed. But before I do that...

If they were to make another sequel to this, what would it be? It's gotta be space, right? When you run out of places to go, you go to space. That's Sequel Writing 101.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think I only got a game over on some of the gimmicky fights, and never more than once or twice.

Wizard101 should learn a lot about boss design from this game. Their later worlds are so damn annoying to go through because their bosses cheat a lot. xD

I've never actually liked South Park myself though I did see a few episodes, including one including World of Warcraft as part of a presenation in a game design college course(luckily, we were all adults so it didn't bother us too badly), I guess I grew out of the "10-year old juvenile delinquent who thinks boobs and butts are hilarious" phase, probably after watching two episodes of Beavis and Butthead(which was the original immature cartoon; MTV used to be my go-to when I was 10 because I loved watching music videos ;)). I might as tolerated playing Stick of Truth had it not used profanities in its trophy list. I gues I am a person that feels embarrassed by having trophy descriptions which have the S- or F-Bomb in them. (Then again, I am turning 47 this year, so I am probably too old to giggle like an immature 10 year old. Not saying all 10 years olds are immature. I pray my nephew and niece don't act that way when they hit ten years of age, Michael James is nearing that point.)

Glad you got another game out of the way, Cass.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 4:14 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

Glad you got another game out of the way, Cass.

Take one down, another takes it place. Thanks a lot, Minecraft...

Oh, well. This is going to be a pretty chill month. The only game I really have on tap is Dragon Quest XI, which I just started a few days ago. It's absolutely gorgeous so far. I spent the first five or ten minutes just hopping around in the lush grass. I know it's a relatively long platinum, but it's got an auto-battle feature, and you know how much I love games that play themselves. It's a nice change from some of the longer, more stressful games I've been working through.

I bought a new art desk, so hopefully that'll be delivered by this weekend so that I can get back to drawing. My old desk was...on its last legs. Literally. Hopefully, this new one comes undamaged. I ordered one from the same company around this time last year and it looked like it had gone through a war zone. I sent it back, and I guess I never got around to looking for a replacement. I figured I could patch up the old desk with some cardboard slabs and L-brackets and just be really careful when I use it, but now I'm worried the thing is going to fall apart every time I sit down. And since it probably weighs as much as me, that's not something I want to see happen...

Anybody got any big plans -- gaming or otherwise -- this month? We had a frost advisory yesterday, so it doesn't exactly feel like June, but the rest of the week is supposed to be nice. If we can get a couple decent days in a row, there are some projects in the garage that I want to finish up, and then maybe I can move our gym into the garage. It's been on hiatus since we had flooding in the basement...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anybody got any big plans -- gaming or otherwise -- this month?

I want to finish some of my PS3 Games with Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age Origins (2 DLCs left because I didn´t want to pay 10 euro for 2 hour DLC).

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday so maybe I will start this beast depending on my PS3 Progress :) but I must say I totally wait for the 21st of June to start playing Judgement! I know I´m a fanboy of Yakuza and this is the new game of the developers in the same Setting Kamurocho. This time you Play as an detective and try to solve cases with a Serial killer involved. I expect a top notch Story!

In Germany it´s really hot right now so I guess there willl be in addition some plans with my wife to enjoy life with friends or maybe an barbecue :D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anybody got any big plans -- gaming or otherwise -- this month? We had a frost advisory yesterday, so it doesn't exactly feel like June, but the rest of the week is supposed to be nice.

Well, like @Inuty said, it's also super hot at the moment in Switzerland too... which triggers my inner lizard to come out, hungry for sun and heat... ?

In any case, I've been taking long weekends pretty much all of May, visiting friends and family, walking in the mountains, etc, so I guess June will mostly be a regular month in terms of work... Though there is an "Animals as Leaders" concert next week that I'm super excited about ? Trying to learn The Sound of Muzak by Porcupine Tree on the drums as well, but the feeling and musicality that Gavin Harrison has when playing can simply not be matched... That dude.. 

Gaming-wise... I noticed that playing Trackmania Turbo and Crypt of the NecroDancer at the same time is a bit much, so I'm prioritizing TMT, and would like to get it done this month, if possible. Thing is, I hear the hardest tracks can take 10+ hours EACH to get a gold medal in, especially if you suck at that game like I do... That's about the time it took me to get Impossible Boy, and for a track that takes about 1-2 minutes to complete! So let's see how it goes... ?

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Take one down, another takes it place. Thanks a lot, Minecraft...

Minecraft is a freaking hydra, man! I am so glad I didn't get into that. xD

Anyways, the Pokémon Direct came out showing off more Sword and Shield and the legendaries(I knew they were lupines, you don't put the head of a wolf on your title and expect people to expect anything else :P) and this new Kaiju mechanic called Dynamax so now I am going to be playing Pokémon to catch up so I can get ready for the November release date. Might order the dual pack too.

As such, I am probably going to go on trophy hunting hiatus, maybe even retirement. Trophy hunting isn't as great as it used to be, I will probably downgrade it from serious business to once a week hobby. Nintendo is just completely crushing trophy hunter's hopes and dreams with all their new content. :SHowever, I still want to try out the Ni no Kuni II DLC and I have yet to make good on my promise to complete Dragon Quest XI.

Edited by SuperSmash5U
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 4:24 AM, Arcesus7 said:

Gaming-wise... I noticed that playing Trackmania Turbo and Crypt of the NecroDancer at the same time is a bit much, so I'm prioritizing TMT, and would like to get it done this month, if possible. Thing is, I hear the hardest tracks can take 10+ hours EACH to get a gold medal in, especially if you suck at that game like I do... That's about the time it took me to get Impossible Boy, and for a track that takes about 1-2 minutes to complete! So let's see how it goes... 1f605.png

Let me know about TMT. I own it for some reason (PS+, I would assume), but I don't know if it'd really be my thing. You're not exactly convincing me by lumping it with those other two games...

On 6/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

As such, I am probably going to go on trophy hunting hiatus, maybe even retirement. Trophy hunting isn't as great as it used to be, I will probably downgrade it from serious business to once a week hobby. Nintendo is just completely crushing trophy hunter's hopes and dreams with all their new content. :SHowever, I still want to try out the Ni no Kuni II DLC and I have yet to make good on my promise to complete Dragon Quest XI.

I think I've made pretty good progress in Dragon Quest XI. I now have all the party members that appear on the cover, and I rarely have to take the game off auto-battle. This is good because it lets me enjoy the story, which is surprisingly good. Sure, it has the usual JRPG cliches -- the Evil One wants to destroy the world, I'm the Chosen One destined to save it, yadda yadda Yggdrasil, yadda yadda magical orbs -- but the characters, their backgrounds, and their voices and facial animations more than make up for it. I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall presentation of this game. But, since I'm a Negative Nancy when it comes to critiquing games, I would like to begin with some of my complaints...

First, this game is deceptively linear. The way it works is you enter a new region, there are two or three locations on the map you can visit, but you have to visit them in the order the game tells you. If you try to explore ahead, you'll just run into the an NPC that says, "LOL bring me my pudding!" and you can't move on until you go to the first location. Now, this is pretty common for RPGs in general, but I think they took it a little too far here. I'm 20 hours into the game and I'm not even bothering to explore because I know I'll run into an artificial roadblock.

Second, the overworld music is...grating, to say the least. It's not bad, but it's a 30 second loop, and it plays EVERYWHERE. Well, except in towns, where the music is kinda nice and doesn't make your ears want to bleed. (I'm in Puerto Valor right now, and I'm just kickin' it on the beach to this rocking melody.) This goes hand-in-hand with my complaint above, and I'm honestly convinced that the developers were doing everything in their power to keep you from wandering off the beaten path. That said, I'm aware of the controversy, and after hearing what the music is SUPPOSED to sound like, I have to recommend the PC version of this game with the Orchestral Overhaul Mod...

Third, as is customary with every JRPG out there, the hero you play as is about as interesting as a hunk of driftwood. I named him Teriyaki (because I'm culturally sensitive like that), but he's got nothing on Veronica, Boobs, or Uncle Scrooge Rab. I'm also glad Sylvando isn't as annoying as he first looked, because I was ready to hate him the moment he showed up. But I'm okay with supporting characters taking center stage. Ol' Terry and I will just sit back and enjoy the show. So far, we've broken into several people's homes and stolen their belongings/smashed their furniture, eradicated the local wildlife, kidnapped a little girl, spied on women in the sauna, escaped from a maximum security prison, teamed up with a PED-using psychopath to win a competition, did some underage gambling, and stole a guy's horse. Yes, we truly are the hero this kingdom deserves!

Just remember, Hendrik: I never stole a horse from someone I didn't like.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

My PS4 and TV both died gruesome deaths because a lightning bolt hit my house. I knew it was raining but didn't expect a power surge. So I am pretty much stuck with only my PS3 downstairs until I see how much I have to pony up to pay for a replacement PS4. I can't afford a PS4 Pro AND new TV, no matter how much my dad loves me. Stupid Mother Nature.

Sorry, have to vent to someone. :(

(Oddly enough, nothing else got hit with the power surge, only my PS4 and TV got fried. I think the divin entity above is telling me that I need to stick with Pokemon as my go-to game instead of wasting my money and life hunting trophies.)

Edited by SuperSmash5U

On 5/31/2019 at 3:18 AM, Cassylvania said:

I'm a little leery about Railway Empire, due to the sheer amount of DLC they keep putting out. I think most of the updates are free, but it still might be better to wait for a complete edition.

When I first read it, I didn't think much of it, but I am just looking at the Playstation Store right now (trying to find some Days of Play deals) and can confirm that so far there have been 6 DLCs for Railway Empire which cost the total of 62 dollars (never been on sale so far) and none of them is just cosmetic, they all come with expansion maps and trophies. So all in all the game is really expensive (I got the vanilla game for about 25 bucks but still haven't gotten round to it).

As for the US store Days of Play deals, I think I'll get Detroit: Become Human, as it's currently priced at $7,99, which is more than 2x cheaper than it's ever been in the EU store. Also, the price of Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is outrageously low, but I already have it ? My more general observation is that while the European sales are better for the most part, every now and then there are quite incredible prices on a few selected games in the US store! (And what's with NBA 2K19 for $3???).

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

My PS4 and TV both died gruesome deaths because a lightning bolt hit my house. I knew it was raining but didn't expect a power surge. So I am pretty much stuck with only my PS3 downstairs until I see how much I have to pony up to pay for a replacement PS4. I can't afford a PS4 Pro AND new TV, no matter how much my dad loves me. Stupid Mother Nature.

Oh, that's not good. Do you have insurance? Lightning damage is covered on any standard policy, but you'll have to read the fine print for electronics...

On 6/7/2019 at 0:31 PM, det_gittes said:

When I first read it, I didn't think much of it, but I am just looking at the Playstation Store right now (trying to find some Days of Play deals) and can confirm that so far there have been 6 DLCs for Railway Empire which cost the total of 62 dollars (never been on sale so far) and none of them is just cosmetic, they all come with expansion maps and trophies. So all in all the game is really expensive (I got the vanilla game for about 25 bucks but still haven't gotten round to it).

As for the US store Days of Play deals, I think I'll get Detroit: Become Human, as it's currently priced at $7,99, which is more than 2x cheaper than it's ever been in the EU store. Also, the price of Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is outrageously low, but I already have it 1f600.png My more general observation is that while the European sales are better for the most part, every now and then there are quite incredible prices on a few selected games in the US store! (And what's with NBA 2K19 for $3???).

Yeesh. That's ridiculous for Railway Empire. I'm glad they didn't add trophies for every ridiculous add-on to The Sims 4, or I'd be broke right now... (But hey, at least the Minecraft ones are free. And I trashed those today.)

Yeah, that's a good price for Detroit: BH. I'd pick it up if my backlog wasn't already big enough. Honestly, I'd probably pick up a few games on that sale, but nothing really jumps out at me and says "NECESSITY!" Well, except Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon, but I need to see more than 20% off.

For my personal recommendation... Nioh: Complete Edition for $19.99. I spent more than that on the DLC.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:46 PM, Psy-Tychist said:

It may have been addressed, but how is Arkham City coming along?

So, the idea there is to play it once a month throughout this entire year, around the respective Calendar Man holiday. I figure if I can get two or three trophies each month, I'll have the platinum/100% on Christmas Day. And I believe the next holiday is Father's Day, so I guess I'll be back to it next weekend... I'm doing fine, but it's a bit of a pain having to remind myself how to play each month. I think I need to just pick one holiday and try to get all the combat/predator challenges done at once.

Anyway, got my new drafting table put together. It's a bit crowded in here, but I have a lot more room to work. I want to put together a quick drawing for this Songkran event, and then start working on a comic book or something. I'm feeling the need for another big project...

As far as gaming goes... Just working my way through Dragon Quest XI. The story is really refreshing. It uses a lot of cliches, but they're darker than you might expect. I just wish the text scrolled automatically, because it is kinda annoying having to click your way through what is essentially a cutscene.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 3:59 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

Sorry, have to vent to someone. :(

(Oddly enough, nothing else got hit with the power surge, only my PS4 and TV got fried. I think the divin entity above is telling me that I need to stick with Pokemon as my go-to game instead of wasting my money and life hunting trophies.)

Do you not use a power surge protector? I've had multiple power outages at my house while playing ps4 and it ended up being fine because of the power surge protector.  

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

My PS4 and TV both died gruesome deaths because a lightning bolt hit my house.

This happened to me once way back in like 1998. The TV was legit toast, but for my N64 and Playstation, it was just the AC adapter. I didn't realize it at first and my mother had put in the claim with all of my video game systems as part of the damaged items. We got the money, I bought new systems and randomly thought to try the old system with the new AC adapter and it worked! I ended up giving my best friend my extra of each console, all he had to do was buy the adapter. Your PS4 may still work if you have a spare adapter laying around you want to try. The other thing I remember from that was when you opened up the fridge...the light inside was super bright...it felt like a 1000W bulb. 

On 6/9/2019 at 0:17 AM, Cassylvania said:

For my personal recommendation... Nioh: Complete Edition for $19.99.

Thanks for that lol just became another addition to my backlog :) 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

Honestly with the amount of easy games you have I would of quit trophy hunting a long time ago.

There's no race or competition. I have always gone at my own pace. I'm faster at getting trophies than some others are but there will always be someone who is better, more skilled, more talented and has more time on their hands. Don't let that get to you, just do the best that you can and if that's not enough then just move on to another game.

----

As a side note I am heavily thinking about buying the Contra Anniversary Collection. I was a bit too young for a lot of these games myself since my NES was quite limited (which my older sister ended up giving to me) and I was only allowed a few games per console. Never owned a Super Nintendo as a kid so I couldn't play Contra III: Alien Wars until many years later when I discovered the world of emulators and ROMS. Ended up loving and playing all the Contra games when I was in high school. Also played the arcade versions on the MAME emulator, which plays arcade ROMs.

Definitely pick this up if you're interested, because I know a number of you older guys on this website have probably grown up playing these classics.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 0:15 AM, Spaz said:

As a side note I am heavily thinking about buying the Contra Anniversary Collection. I was a bit too young for a lot of these games myself since my NES was quite limited (which my older sister ended up giving to me) and I was only allowed a few games per console. Never owned a Super Nintendo as a kid so I couldn't play Contra III: Alien Wars until many years later when I discovered the world of emulators and ROMS. Ended up loving and playing all the Contra games when I was in high school. Also played the arcade versions on the MAME emulator, which plays arcade ROMs.

Yeah, Contra looks pretty great. I'm old enough to remember it being popular, but I don't think I ever played it. The closest I ever got was something like Golden Axe or Double Dragon, which were fun co-op games at the time. It's nice to see these kinds of things being brought back.

It's been a pretty quiet week on my part. I've been chipping away at Dragon Quest XI (should beat it this weekend), and I started Spec Ops: The Line because I really want to knock out as many PS3 games as I can. I don't suppose we ever have to worry about losing the ability to sync trophies on the PS3? Either way, this is my tentative list for the console:

• Alice: Madness Returns
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (maybe the other ones too)
  • Dark Souls
  • Demon's Souls
  • God of War... all of them
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Re:coded
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Rocketbirds
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary/Underworld

I think that's it. Obviously, there are probably hundreds of games on the PS3 that are worth playing, but these are the ones I'd like to play again or for the first time. It might be worth waiting for a remaster for some of these (Demon's Souls, Mass Effect, Alice), and I suppose Dark Souls isn't really a necessity. I just thought it'd be fun to do a challenge run or something. I want to do Rocketbirds so that I can have both games on my account, and you know I love my girl Lara. I'm hesitant on GoW. There are a lot of games in that series, and I remember my thumbs bleeding from trying to platinum GoW1 all those years ago. As for HoD... I just really want that 10k milestone. We should probably knock out that Boned trophy before the servers drop, all those who will be joining me on that quest...

Speaking of milestones... It looks like 7,500 is right around the corner. This is one of those stupid milestones that shouldn't be one, but I have some excellent games going right now, so maybe we'll try to get something good. Platinum #175 isn't far away either. I don't really have anything planned out, and I'm not sure what the next community event will be... Depending how much mercy Cities shows me, it might end up being the Summer of PS3, so that I can still play games while the PS4 is on in the background.

OK. The sun is up. Time to get in my workout, and then back to Terry and friends!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

It's been a pretty quiet week on my part. I've been chipping away at Dragon Quest XI (should beat it this weekend), and I started Spec Ops: The Line because I really want to knock out as many PS3 games as I can. I don't suppose we ever have to worry about losing the ability to sync trophies on the PS3? Either way, this is my tentative list for the console:

• Dark Souls
  • Demon's Souls
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Rocketbirds

I think you will be okay with synching. Some of the games are with PS Now so I would guess you wouldn´t be able to upload any trophies from PS Now PS3 games if they deactivate the syching for a PS3, but I´m not sure.

You have a great list for PS3 games! For Dark Souls I would use the PS4 versions. I Can highly recommend Demon Souls and Mass Effect! I guess Ni No Kuni is also not needed anymore because of the remaster Version? ;) I played it on PS3 and had no complains with it! Not sure what benefits the remaster will have, but you Can Play it on PS3 if it´s only Advantages of graphics or anything.

I finished Dragon Age Orgins and 2 last week which ist good. I have a few  other PS3 games I want to finish in the future myself!

• Catherine (The last few trophies)
  • 3D Dot Hero
  • Kingdom of Amalur
  • Deadly Premonition: Director Cut
  • Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 0:15 AM, Spaz said:

Definitely pick this up if you're interested, because I know a number of you older guys on this website have probably grown up playing these classics.

I loved the first Contra and I hope this version of it is more true to the original NES version. I played the Arcade Classic and was pretty disappointed by it...I never tried the other games in the series though so I'll probably pick this up too.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

• Dark Souls
  • Demon's Souls
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Rocketbirds

I saw you started Spec Ops: The Line and I found a milestone trophy I want :) A Man of Action needs to be a fixture on my profile...I'll probably try to make that number 5000. Alice: Madness Returns is on my list too and I have that on my Bingo Card. I plan on tackling that game in between my KH series run and my Mass Effect series run that I'll probably start up around October-November. I haven't really looked at the trophy lists yet, but if there are any MP trophies you could bang them out then.

I wouldn't hesitate on God of War at all...you can get the Saga Collection for less than $25 and it's got 5 of the games. Other than some of the trials, the trophy lists aren't too bad. Less than $5 a game is a steal for that series. 

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

We should probably knock out that Boned trophy before the servers drop, all those who will be joining me on that quest...

I haven't bought this game yet, but it's on my list of things to do as well so I could easily be convinced into this as well.

• Like 2

Yeah, Contra looks pretty great. I'm old enough to remember it being popular, but I don't think I ever played it. The closest I ever got was something like Golden Axe or Double Dragon, which were fun co-op games at the time. It's nice to see these kinds of things being brought back.

I never had Double Dragon. That would of been far too difficult for a kid like me. I barely got through Super Mario Bros 3 as a kid. That was the first video game I ever played. So you can see where my love for gaming came from.

Truthfully my sister who is now 38 years old played the NES before me. She had it for a number of years before she decided to give it to me because she lost interest in gaming around middle school/high school. I still have the NES tucked away in my closet, hasn't been used in over 15 years. Some of those NES games are now worth a good price on eBay and other websites.

You need a boosting team for one trophy, which is stupid given how PSN games are practically dead on the PS3.

Honestly, give us the option to play these smaller digital only games on the PS4. Save me a lot of headache if we could.

• Demon's Souls

Everyone knows that the duping glitch saves you a lot of time and significantly reduces the time it takes to platinum this game. Though most people know that the Pure Bladestone drop, which you won't get around to until later is infamous for having a very low drop rate. I've heard of people spending dozens of hours to get it, which speaks volumes for how rare it is.

I strongly, strongly suggest backing up your save and making another copy of your save files whenever you can. The reason being is all NPCs in this game can be fought and killed. If you make Stockpile Thomas (who is a vital part of duping) aggressive then you practically fucked yourself, and you won't be able to obtain your items from him until New Game Plus.

The game is 10 years old now and it's rather dated compared to games of today, but it is still one of the best games you will play on the PS3. I highly recommend it even though you're going to be duping a lot. I wouldn't call it as good as Bloodborne or as streamlined as Dark Souls, since Demon's Souls was when From Software was still experimenting with the Soulsborne formula. It worked out tremendously in their favor.

This series is not that difficult.

The most difficult thing you have to do in the entire franchise is beating the Challenge of the Gods in the first game. Challenge #10 stands out as being one of the most bullshit challenges I have played, because it is more luck than it is about skill. You're going to be frustrated and pissed off trying to stay on the platform while those Satyrs and Hell Puppies try to throw you off.

The Speed Run is fairly easy with the Cow outfit, which I recommend doing on your second playthrough because it makes everything a lot easier. Rolling is faster than just running so definitely utilize that to save you some time.

The second game is easier but more interesting from the amount of bosses. The third game is iconic, definitely a good way to close out the trilogy. Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta are both very easy, but those wraiths on Hard difficulty in Ghost of Sparta can be very annoying. Ascension is the black sheep of the franchise, but that is also fairly easy to finish.

God of War 2018 is perhaps the easiest and while a lot of people say it is the best, I didn't like it all too much. The graphics are phenomenal and the set pieces are grand. But it felt like a huge chore going around getting all the collectibles and listening to that spoiled brat "The Boy" whine about his father throughout the story.

That's SEVEN games in all and none of them take too long to finish. 2018 is the longest because of the open world format and the amount of backtracking you have to do.

13 hours ago, Briste said:

I loved the first Contra and I hope this version of it is more true to the original NES version. I played the Arcade Classic and was pretty disappointed by it...I never tried the other games in the series though so I'll probably pick this up too.

All of the games are the originals. They had to take out all the Nintendo mentions out of the title screens because this is on the PS4.

Contra III: Alien Wars is my personal favorite, but none of them are bad. The Game Boy game is probably the weakest out of the bunch but that's only because of the hardware limitations and the fact it was a portable console.

• Like 2

Hey @Cassylvania, just thought I'll let you know that I've bought two games that you've completed before, so I may have some questions at some point, although one of them (Everybody's Golf) is probably a distant memory for you as I see you played it 1,5 years ago. The other one shouldn't be a surprise, it's The Long Dark - actually I bought 4 games because first I found TLD at a good price, but then to get free shipping I added Everybody's Golf, Doom and Spintires: Mudrunner. I see how there is some very twisted logic involved in all of this - the actual shipping would have cost me only a fraction of the cost of those extra games, but the truth is that they were all offered at very reasonable prices and I have considered playing them at one point or another. Actually, it's Everybody's Golf that is the oddball from the bunch and it was a spur of the moment purchase (and also the priciest one of all four at 20 bucks) but it's also the one which I've installed first and I like how it plays a lot, actually it brings back memories of Leaderboard Golf that I played in the early 90s on Commodore 64, which I remember I was fascinated with (I also played some Tiger Woods' game in 2004 but that didn't leave such a lasting impression on me). I may want to platinum EG, but we'll see, it's too early to say if it will grow old on me or not but something tells me I may enjoy it for a longer while. I searched for your older posts about EG and it looks like you quite enjoyed it (maybe except for a few grindy/luck-based trophies).

As for The Long Dark, I am really excited about this game though it may have to wait at least until July as time is scarce for me this time of the year and the game requires a solid commitment that I probably can't make right now. I will surely have another look at what you said about the game once I start it.

Also, I will probably finish up Fallout 4 these coming weeks, I've got to say that it was my first Fallout game and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I am one easy trophy away from the platinum but I'm not rushing it as I actually want the 100% on this game - though one of the DLCs is supposedly a grind-fest and I still haven't started it, so I can't be absolutely sure whether my motivation will last long enough. As for why I've had a blast with the game so far - well, it may have a decent story (nothing out of the ordinary but it's not super cheap and it doesn't feel like dragging unnecessarily) but it is the sheer amount of freedom the game gives you that makes it extremely enjoyable for me. Everything in this game can be customized, modified, crafted, apart from the varied apparel you also have a power suit, which again is fully customizable, the tree skill is mind-boggling (at least at first), exploration feels satisfying and on top of everything else there is a base-building component, which basically adds a whole new layer of complexity to the game - I could probably go on, but the long story short, this is just the right game for me and if anything, there is too much content in it to fully make the most of everything.

On an unrelated note, the temperatures in central Poland for the past 2 weeks have been at around 35 degrees Celsius, which translates into high 90s Fahrenheit (probably more in the sun). It's hot. I guess that's another reason why I should wait with The Long Dark - cognitive dissonance would become all too real :D

• Like 3

On 6/14/2019 at 4:41 AM, Cassylvania said:

I've been chipping away at Dragon Quest XI

I just purchased this game at GameStop, because the Luminary just got a LOT of publicity during E3. (He and his friends in older DQs got a job in Super Smash Bros. and the new Definitive Edition is coming to Switch, and it has the cool option to play in 16-bit style and explore worlds from the older games.) I also bought Dragon Quest Builders because the sequel is coming out this mid-July and I need to have the platinum to get free DLC for the sequel which lets you dress up as the first game's hero and build a Dragonlord's throne that lets you turn into the Dragonlord when you sit in it. ^_^ I might make DQXI be my first LONG platinum.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 5:56 AM, Inuty said:

I have a few  other PS3 games I want to finish in the future myself!

• Catherine (The last few trophies)
  • 3D Dot Hero
  • Kingdom of Amalur
  • Deadly Premonition: Director Cut

I like your list too. There are a ton of good games out there, but I'm trying to focus on the ones that are highly unlikely to ever be remastered. That's why I started with Skylanders (yeah, it's Activision, but the hardware component would make this difficult), XCOM (hell, remaster it if you want -- I'd buy it again), and Spec Ops: The Line (pretty sure the devs said they'd rather eat shards of broken glass than remaster this game). Catherine getting remastered makes me VERY happy, because that was always high on my list. And Alice... Call me crazy, but I'm feeling a remaster is coming. Maybe when the sequel hits in a couple of years.

I won't touch KoA. It was OK, but it was so OK that it's not worth playing again.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, Briste said:

I haven't bought this game yet, but it's on my list of things to do as well so I could easily be convinced into this as well.

I think it's the only PS3 game I mentioned that has MP trophies. (The Souls games are more difficult without help, but I don't care about that.) The problem is that it requires FIVE players from what I hear. I think we could chip it down to three if a couple of people are willing to buy the game for PS3 and also have a second copy going on PS Now on the PS4. Would you be able to do that? I don't mind subscribing to PS Now for a month to get that out of the way.

Don't forget your Arkham trophies today!

On 6/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, Spaz said:

Everyone knows that the duping glitch saves you a lot of time and significantly reduces the time it takes to platinum this game. Though most people know that the Pure Bladestone drop, which you won't get around to until later is infamous for having a very low drop rate. I've heard of people spending dozens of hours to get it, which speaks volumes for how rare it is.

I strongly, strongly suggest backing up your save and making another copy of your save files whenever you can. The reason being is all NPCs in this game can be fought and killed. If you make Stockpile Thomas (who is a vital part of duping) aggressive then you practically fucked yourself, and you won't be able to obtain your items from him until New Game Plus.

The thing is, I've platinumed Demon's Souls like three times, so I'm not even worried about the PBS. I don't think I ever duped either. At the time, it was the only game I owned for the PS3, so I didn't mind playing it over and over. It would be kinda fun to do it without cheesing every boss, though...

23 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Hey @Cassylvania, just thought I'll let you know that I've bought two games that you've completed before, so I may have some questions at some point, although one of them (Everybody's Golf) is probably a distant memory for you as I see you played it 1,5 years ago. The other one shouldn't be a surprise, it's The Long Dark - actually I bought 4 games because first I found TLD at a good price, but then to get free shipping I added Everybody's Golf, Doom and Spintires: Mudrunner. I see how there is some very twisted logic involved in all of this - the actual shipping would have cost me only a fraction of the cost of those extra games, but the truth is that they were all offered at very reasonable prices and I have considered playing them at one point or another. Actually, it's Everybody's Golf that is the oddball from the bunch and it was a spur of the moment purchase (and also the priciest one of all four at 20 bucks) but it's also the one which I've installed first and I like how it plays a lot, actually it brings back memories of Leaderboard Golf that I played in the early 90s on Commodore 64, which I remember I was fascinated with (I also played some Tiger Woods' game in 2004 but that didn't leave such a lasting impression on me). I may want to platinum EG, but we'll see, it's too early to say if it will grow old on me or not but something tells me I may enjoy it for a longer while. I searched for your older posts about EG and it looks like you quite enjoyed it (maybe except for a few grindy/luck-based trophies).

Oh, I loved EG! Yeah, there are a couple of trophies that are annoying, but the game is so laid-back that it almost doesn't matter. You'll get them if you just stick with it.

Now, The Long Dark is like the anti-Everybody's Golf. If you're just playing it for fun, I think you'll be OK. It's a good game. You have a lot of options on how you can play, and the game can be as easy or difficult as you make it. If you're going for the platinum, though... Ergh. Yeah. You miiight regret your decision.

21 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

I just purchased this game at GameStop, because the Luminary just got a LOT of publicity during E3. (He and his friends in older DQs got a job in Super Smash Bros. and the new Definitive Edition is coming to Switch, and it has the cool option to play in 16-bit style and explore worlds from the older games.) I also bought Dragon Quest Builders because the sequel is coming out this mid-July and I need to have the platinum to get free DLC for the sequel which lets you dress up as the first game's hero and build a Dragonlord's throne that lets you turn into the Dragonlord when you sit in it. ^_^ I might make DQXI be my first LONG platinum.

It really is a long platinum, isn't it? I'm 88 hours in, and I just beat what I figured is the end of the game (but let's be real -- there's always another "final" boss). Still have a bunch of trophies to go, including the true ending, maxing out everybody's level, and collecting every costume.

Also, welcome to the...whatever we are now. Guess it's still a pile. We should really be something more chill, like a coffee house.

Alright. I know some of you are papis, so happy Father's Day to you all, I hope you're able to spend some time with your kids, the Arkham City AR training exercise where you have to fly through Joker's tunnel is bullshit, and I will see you all tonight for more adventures with Terry and friends.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 7:30 AM, Cassylvania said:

I think it's the only PS3 game I mentioned that has MP trophies. (The Souls games are more difficult without help, but I don't care about that.) The problem is that it requires FIVE players from what I hear. I think we could chip it down to three if a couple of people are willing to buy the game for PS3 and also have a second copy going on PS Now on the PS4. Would you be able to do that? I don't mind subscribing to PS Now for a month to get that out of the way.

Don't forget your Arkham trophies today!

So two of us would be playing two characters? Do you know how that works in this game? Would we be able to leave one character at the beginning of the level while we play through with the other? It seems like that would be really hard if we have to actively play both characters. I don't have a ton of interest in PSNow, but I saw they have a free 7 day trial so I could do it for sure. I just need to make sure we get that one done during that 7 days lol.

I ALMOST forgot about the Arkham trophy so thanks for the reminder. Between Father's Day festivities and me being super focused in KH2, the day almost got away from me. I snuck it in quick around 11:30 last night. I'm just happy I have it saved right outside his door so it only takes like two minutes to get done.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:30 AM, Cassylvania said:

Alright. I know some of you are papis, so happy Father's Day to you all, I hope you're able to spend some time with your kids, the Arkham City AR training exercise where you have to fly through Joker's tunnel is bullshit, and I will see you all tonight for more adventures with Terry and friends.

Thanks and yeah I hated that one the most. I can't tell you how many times I hovered just high enough to get stuck on that little part of the ceiling that sticks down....

/Edit oh no!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Briste said:

So two of us would be playing two characters? Do you know how that works in this game? Would we be able to leave one character at the beginning of the level while we play through with the other? It seems like that would be really hard if we have to actively play both characters. I don't have a ton of interest in PSNow, but I saw they have a free 7 day trial so I could do it for sure. I just need to make sure we get that one done during that 7 days lol.

So, from my understanding, you just need five players to get to a boss, have four of them die, and then beat the boss with the last remaining player. I know nothing about the gameplay, but I'm assuming that's doable with three people. I wonder if you could even kill two of the players right at the start of the level... I dunno. It'll need more investigation.

23 hours ago, Briste said:

/Edit oh no!

Bloody hell... This is the game that just won't die.

Fortunately, those sound fairly straightforward. Industry Tycoon could be a problem, depending on the requirements to unlock every factory...

Either way, it seems I was mistaken about 7,500 being a milestone. I think it used to be, but it's not now, or maybe I thought it was because it was halfway between 5k and 10k (which seems to matter for platinum 50 and 100, but not this), so who knows? These used to be so much fun to plan out.

I'm dangerously close to finishing Dragon Quest XI, which is good, because I wasn't sure I'd have it finished this month. Not sure I'm going to have the drawing finished either. I was halfway through it with my old tablet, but then I installed my new one and now the old one won't work, but I don't want to switch tablets mid-drawing because the linework won't be consistent, so it's the blue pen incident all over again and yeah I'm annoyed. On the good side, the new tablet is really slick and I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of it.

Alright. What's everybody up to for the next couple of weeks? I'm going to try to finish up the three games I got going, and then I'll work on a list of games for the next community event.

• Like 2