10000 kills

phoenix_shade

9 minutes ago, ShimizuGear09 said:

This trophy is the only thing that is stopping me to plat FFIX... it's a pointless and stupid grind.

I tried to do like 2 hours a day to avoid insanity. This was the worst thing ever.

1 minute ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Any place to auto grind this outside of evil forest on early game?

If now, then I will use that.. turbo controller + battle assist (invincible) + speed up + auto-battle should make this easy.. just need a good spot to farm.

Just the forest and the cage part from what I've read. I did it in the grotto.

4 minutes ago, phoenix_shade said:

And done. 11.5 hours of Grotto blood letting. X_X

3 minutes ago, phoenix_shade said:

I tried to do like 2 hours a day to avoid insanity. This was the worst thing ever.

11.5 hours total? If that's the case I might set up a lot of film and episodes of something to watch :ninja:

Just now, ShimizuGear09 said:

11.5 hours total? If that's the case I might set up a lot of film and episodes of something to watch :ninja:

Yeah man. I play through the game very slowly too, trying to max out all skills on all characters mind you and i fought everything I came across. 

It took me an additional 11.5 hours in the grotto to hit 10000 at a rate of 500-600 kills an hour which means i had around 4000 kills in my playthrough.

Throw on a movie once a day and chip away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phoenix_shade said:

Just the forest and the cage part from what I've read. I did it in the grotto.

Ok, then I think I will see if I can find a way to rubber band walk in a way that allows for the random encounters to continue to happen somewhere.. or maybe I will do it in he evil forest, but I don't like the fact that we can't save there..

16 minutes ago, phoenix_shade said:

Yeah man. I play through the game very slowly too, trying to max out all skills on all characters mind you and i fought everything I came across. 

It took me an additional 11.5 hours in the grotto to hit 10000 at a rate of 500-600 kills an hour which means i had around 4000 kills in my playthrough.

Throw on a movie once a day and chip away.

Might as well do that, thanks for the infos and the tip!

well when there is too grind to do, mostly i try to:

1. enter on a party to talk to ppl;

2. listen to a podcast or music while do that;

3. giveup lol!

anyway is less "painful" if you are doing other thing at the same time, i cant try to watch youtube/netflix cause usually the grind takes much longer or i stop playing at some point.

Edited by ivangutjahr

• 4 weeks later...

If i'm not completely mistaken, When you are on your way to desert palace and you have to enter one of these desert pools, If you just stand next to the wrong one and press X you enter a fight, I could imagine with a turbo controller you could just leave the game there. Could be wrong, not tested it myself

On 07/01/2018 at 10:36 AM, KristofferJr said:

If i'm not completely mistaken, When you are on your way to desert palace and you have to enter one of these desert pools, If you just stand next to the wrong one and press X you enter a fight, I could imagine with a turbo controller you could just leave the game there. Could be wrong, not tested it myself

I think that I can test that next weekend (is that available in disc 4? I only have save files on disc 4 and on Treno right before the other place that we can automate  the kills).

Also, I got the 10k kills on that section, it sucks that we can't save, but 9999 damage + Blood Sword make it impossible to lose anyway. Took around 21 hours. And this would be faster then the desert because we get 2 opponents each time instead of 1.

4 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I think that I can test that next weekend (is that available in disc 4? I only have save files on disc 4 and on Treno right before the other place that we can automate  the kills).

Also, I got the 10k kills on that section, it sucks that we can't save, but 9999 damage + Blood Sword make it impossible to lose anyway. Took around 21 hours. And this would be faster then the desert because we get 2 opponents each time instead of 1.

It's on Disc 3, it's only 1 mob per encounter there so not the fastest method but probably the easiest option for people with turbo controllers. Personally i used a keyboard macro to press enter with remoteplay to automate fights. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KristofferJr said:

It's on Disc 3, it's only 1 mob per encounter there so not the fastest method but probably the easiest option for people with turbo controllers. Personally i used a keyboard macro to press enter with remoteplay to automate fights. 

Ok, then no testing from me..

And with a turbo controller that section after Treno 1st time on disc 2 is the best option, the only downside is that it needs to be done in a single stint (but then unless you live in a place where poweroutage is a frequent thing, there's no worry, since the game rarely crash, if at all).

• 2 months later...

I think i've killed around 9000 enemies in Gizamaluke's Grotto, Zidane's experience grew by 205000 and i count 23 exp per kill.Is it even possible to reach level 99 without killing 1000 enemies? You need 6.6 million for level 99.I hope this shit didn't glitch on me.

Edit.Finally! After 200 more kills, it popped. 14 hours for this nonsense

Edited by sephiroth4424

17 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

So anyone know the best place to do this? and what's the best place to level up, I still need my level 99 trophy.

Beat place to level up is outside Gizamaluke's Grotto with the Grand Dragon. With only one character getting exp. and Level Up equipped, it takes 94 Grand Dragons to level from 69 to 99. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to get the kills.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 2 years later...

I can verify that Grotto gives about 500 kills per hour. I've been tracking the number of enemies per battle:

500 kills per hour matches a rate of about 2.3-2.4 enemies per battle. My overall enemies per battle is sitting right at 2.38 for 1500 kills.

Here are some set up tips:

Of the game modifiers, only speed boost should be necessary. Don't use battle assist as the trance animations will drastically slow you down.

9999 should not be needed unless you are REALLY low level, in which case you probably don't have auto-regen for the rest of the set up.

Use a party of all melee (they have access to the necessary support abilities): Zidane, Steiner, Amarant, and Freya.

Equip armor and accessories to maximize speed.

Auto-regen plus antibody keep you from ever needing to manually heal or treat status ailments.

Turn off battle camera in config menu to allow instantaneous start to battles.

Alert + Initiative helps reduce surprise attacks and helps finish battle faster.

Counter + Eye 4 Eye also increases rate for finishing battles in case you don't attack first.

Accuracy+ helps eliminates the rare random misses.

Auto-haste if you somehow have enough diamonds...

I expect that I only had a few hundred kills in my playthrough even though I never turned on safe-mode (never really did any grinding either, though). I'm expecting a 19+ hour grind. I think the walkthrough should mention the kill rate as 500 per hour instead of saying expect 10 hours. I imagine if you aren't manually tracking, you'd probably start freaking out after hitting 12-13 hours.

Edited by BobertWABC
Graphic wasn't included, so description was irrelevant.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I managed to get this a couple of weeks ago after what seemed like forever, so for people asking for timescales and what not (because it can seem neverending), this is what I did.

I played the game normally other than the speed increase and the 9999 hit modifier. At each point where I could progress with side quests to get all of the other trophies I did, and I also didn't flee from any fights - you're only hurting yourself in the long run if you do that. To know when you can progress with certain side-quests, this walkthrough is the one I used which is pretty good: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-IX/Walkthrough/

Once I got to the point where I could proceed to Memoria, I was at roughly 35 hours of gameplay. At this point I was predominantly grinding kills whilst levelling up each of my characters. Every few hours when I got a little bored, I went off to finish off any miscellaneous trophies I had yet to obtain, such as Cracking The Code (uncovering secrets of the Eidolon Wall), Back Online (repair the machine at Mognet Central), and To Ozma And Back (defeat Ozma) which helped to break things up a bit and make the grind less tedious.

The place where I grinded kills was on the Lost Continent (the snowy/icy one in the top-left with Esto Gaza) and ran around in circles at the bottom-right of that island for kills. You'll have to make sure you're always on the snow and not the dirt as you'll only ever get 1 enemy per fight on the dirt, whereas on the snow you'll often get 4 or 3. If you've done the Beach Bum (visit every beach in Gaia) trophy at this point too then you can press circle to cure your party completely after each match whenever you need it from that location. From that point you have auto on during the fights so you don't need to press anything, and it's just a case of press X a few times after each fight, running in circles until the next fight happens, and occasionally curing the party with circle.

By the time I'd popped the Bloodlust (10,000 kills) trophy, all of my characters had reached level 99 and maxed out their EXP to 9999999. I'd almost got maximum gil, which is also 9999999, and my total playtime at this point was 55:34:59.

So, if you're doing it at endgame and have cleared all other trophies before Memoria at this point, you're looking at roughly 15-20 hours of grinding to pop this. You should also just train everyone to get max EXP and to earn max gil as that's the closest thing you're going to get to a tracker aside from doing so manually yourself with a pen and paper. Once you've done that, you'll know you're getting close.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Currently living through this hellish grind… just to confirm what others have said, the Grotto seems to net me 500-600 kills per hour depending on RNG. I actually kept track of my kills since starting this grind in the Grotto and am up to 4K. I’m usually averaging 100 kills every 10 minutes with the speed booster and auto battle input on. Last night I managed to grind 1K in 1 hour and 40 minutes. 

For anyone seeing this before starting their FF9 platinum journey, I made the mistake of doing the usual multi save files which pretty much tanked my play through numbers, so I went through the Petrified Forest grind, Steiner level grind and Grand Dragon grinds along with my entire play through all the way to disc 4 and beating Ozma, before knowing that it wouldn’t all count towards the bloodlust trophy.

I expect the trophy to pop in another 10 hours or so, then I can slaughter the final dungeon and move on to the next trophy grind.