What're your thoughts on Guides?

I2MBlank

I think it can cheapen the initial experience if you start using a guide during your first playthrough, but it is very handy for any cleanup stuff.  There are so many games that have side objectives that would take at least a hundred hours to complete and that are tied to trophies.  Guides make those trophies bearable and cut down the time needed so you can jump to the next game.

• Like 1

I've nothing against guides since they are really welcome when it comes to collectibles, missables or even super grindy trophies that would take forever without the use of a guide. 

However, if I don't need a guide to do the Platinum/100% by myself, even if it means spending more time on the game, then I don't use a guide.

I'll just say that using a guide for games that are focused on the story for the first playthrough is completely stupid imo, for example, I prefer doing a blind playthrough and then another playthrough for a game like Heavy Rain than watching a guide before I play the game and risk to spoil myself or know which decision is the good one because it would just ruin the experience.

As far as (J)-RPG / lengthy games are concerned, I look at a guide before I play the game just to see if some trophies are missable but if that's not the case I enjoy the game and when I'm done with the story and the side quests and IF I don't know how to achieve certains trophies, THEN I use a guide.

So yeah, guides are fine as long as they don't ruin the experience of a game (too much spoilers, glitch that turn a difficult game into a joke) and make tedious tasks like collectibles easier to apprehend.

Edited by itachi-destroyer

A guide only gives you a basic guideline, on how to earn a platinum. It's there to guide you, nothing more. You the player, still have to put in all the work and effort. Knowing all the phases of a boss in Furi isn't going to matter, if you can't react and adjust to the combat. Knowing how to perform a surgery in Surgeon Simulator, isn't going to make you a master of the game. Every game requires you to put in the effort, to learn its mechanics. So I don't think it cheapens a platinum, it's merely a handy tool in your arsenal of tools.

• Like 2

Personally, I typically write the guides the way I would use them.

I want to know all the helpful tips and useful information. Is there a lot of missables? I want it sorted by when I encounter them in the game, so I can play the game as much as I can on my own, but know what to look out for so I don't miss anything etc. Is there something that can make the game much easier for me?