Shining Resonance Refrain Heading West This Summer

SteelFreaxx

• 1 month later...

Sort of old news, but if anyone is on the fence, there is a demo available now (US store): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA10946_00-SHININGRESDEMO00

I just played the demo and am now 100% sold on it. I'm going to pre-order it right now, in fact. One other thing: I didn't look it up at all prior to playing, but this game has an amazing voice cast.

Confession: Never played a Shining Resonance game ever. This caught my attention. My question is are the Shining games any good? What's the battle system like? I'll Youtube some gameplay to see for myself, but I also wanted to hear from you all about it.

12 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Never played a Shining Resonance game ever.

Yea, well... that makes sense :hmm: 

There's only one Shining Resonance... :awesome: 

12 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

My question is are the Shining games any good?

They are. But they aren't localized.

Damn... I really need to finish Ark :facepalm: 

Wow, Something to look forward to even though we're a little remastered to death.

Anyway, did you guys ever play the Sega Saturns Shining games? I still own The holy Ark and the 3 force games, Could never find wisdom though.

6 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Yea, well... that makes sense :hmm: 

There's only one Shining Resonance... :awesome: 

Damn... I really need to finish Ark :facepalm: 

Didn’t know that. I thought it was a series. Hence my lack of knowledge of this games 

15 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, this is more like localization than actual remaster xD

Isn't it a ps3 game now on ps4? I think you're right though. Only one of the 3 Shining Force games I have for the Saturn is in English though Holy Ark is English. I think Shining Force Neo has been the only shining game I've played that I didn't like. Anyway, it's nice to see the series hasn't been forgotten.

On 6/19/2018 at 0:33 PM, kidson2004 said:

My question is are the Shining games any good? What's the battle system like? I'll Youtube some gameplay to see for myself, but I also wanted to hear from you all about it.

Shinning games are pretty good. Majority of Shining games are SRPG/TRPG. I bought only the games which have Tony Taka's character art design, so I don't have good knowledge about the classic Shining games. Shining Tears is an action RPG, just like Ys series, basically hack and slash with magic and skills. Shining Blade and Ark have similar combat system as Valkyria Chronicles series', but Ark's combat system is little bit different. Shining Heart is a Turn-based RPG with "weird" heart system, this game has been adapted into an anime in case you are interested in watching it. Shining Resonance is an action-based JRPG with the combat system is similar as Infinite Undiscovery and Magna Carta 2's in my opinion, but a lot of ppl say this game has combat system same as Tales games'. Blade Arcus is a spin-off 2D fighting game (offline only), the game is localized as Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena for Steam. PC version has online mode, but it doesn't have Gallery mode. If you are confident in fighting game, you should give it a shot.

22 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I think you should say "most of them are not localized", otherwise, people will think none of them is localized.

Gonna add this Shining Resonance Refrain to my "Taka Tony" PS-related Game Collection :). Sadly, Shining Wind is a Japanese PS2 game only.

nOWVA3R.png

KicUtzZ.png

Another PS game with TT's art (a "kissing" game)

KiSigji.jpg

Edited by Leon Hasegawa

2 hours ago, Leon Hasegawa said:

I think you should say "most of them are not localized", otherwise, people will think none of them is localized.

Well, older ones are...

Not sure how many people would want to play them :/

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Isn't it a ps3 game now on ps4? I think you're right though. Only one of the 3 Shining Force games I have for the Saturn is in English though Holy Ark is English. I think Shining Force Neo has been the only shining game I've played that I didn't like. Anyway, it's nice to see the series hasn't been forgotten.

Yes, originally PS3 game, now on PS4 with all DLCs and an additional mode.

I'm glad that they released a demo for this. Otherwise I would have bought that game sometime in the near future (most preferably on the Switch as I dislike playing such timesinks on the big screen) but now I know for sure that I will dislike it as the battles felt unsatisfying (slow speed, enemies barely attacked) and the few story snippets didn't really help to catch some interest.

20 hours ago, mecharobot said:

Is this game going to need several playthroughs with this additional mode, or otherwise?

I presume it will take 2 this time...

Since there are trophies that explicitly mention 'in Refrain', maybe, just maybe the Refrain playthrough may be enough but...

In any case, new players SHOULD play it twice so you don't jump into Refrain without actually knowing anything about the main playthrough.

7 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

I'm glad that they released a demo for this. Otherwise I would have bought that game sometime in the near future (most preferably on the Switch as I dislike playing such timesinks on the big screen) but now I know for sure that I will dislike it as the battles felt unsatisfying (slow speed, enemies barely attacked) and the few story snippets didn't really help to catch some interest.

NANI?!

b49.gif