New Pokemon games on the Switch

Honor_Hand

This was announced a couple of hours ago:

What's your opinion on it?

I don't own a Switch yet but it does look kind of exciting at a glance. Actually, it is almost 12:30 a.m. at the time I'm posting this and I'm tired as hell, so I will come and make a better assessment later on. In the meantime, feel free to discuss about it.

Pokemon Fans assemble! Share your impressions with me. :)

• Like 3

Yeah I have Pikachu preordered already lol 

Looks like a fun game and Nintendo confirmed there will be a core Pokemon RPG for Switch in the later half of 2019 so things are looking good! 

The only downside which a lot of people don't like is that you no longer fight wild Pokemon.

Edit: Also anyone wanting a Switch this year should try and get one now or at least by the end of Summer. Between Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Smash later this year, Switch is going to be flying off shelves.

Edited by Death_Ninja

1 hour ago, Death_Ninja said:

Yeah I have Pikachu preordered already lol 

Looks like a fun game and Nintendo confirmed there will be a core Pokemon RPG for Switch in the later half of 2019 so things are looking good! 

The only downside which a lot of people don't like is that you no longer fight wild Pokemon.

This is basically my opinion. I was a bit bummed at getting Pokémon Go mechanics in the game, not battling wild Pokémon any more. But seeing as there's a "core" RPG coming out in 2019, I can now feel happy about both this game and whatever's coming next year. It's the best of both - Pokémon Go fans and other casual gamers get lured to the Switch witl Let's Go, and it also satisfies the people who believe the first generation of Pokémon was the best. The 2019 game can move forward with a whole new generation of Pokémon, and hopefully it'll have wild battles and HMs and everything that feels missing from the Let's Go title.

I wonder if the Let's Go titles will be cheaper titles, like Captain Toad.

I'll pre-order Pikachu. As I said in a different thread, I get why Eevee is the second choice but Charmander or Squirtle would probably have sold better.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

This is basically my opinion. I was a bit bummed at getting Pokémon Go mechanics in the game, not battling wild Pokémon any more. But seeing as there's a "core" RPG coming out in 2019, I can now feel happy about both this game and whatever's coming next year. It's the best of both - Pokémon Go fans and other casual gamers get lured to the Switch witl Let's Go, and it also satisfies the people who believe the first generation of Pokémon was the best. The 2019 game can move forward with a whole new generation of Pokémon, and hopefully it'll have wild battles and HMs and everything that feels missing from the Let's Go title.

I wonder if the Let's Go titles will be cheaper titles, like Captain Toad.

I'll pre-order Pikachu. As I said in a different thread, I get why Eevee is the second choice but Charmander or Squirtle would probably have sold better.

I bet you that the next core game is probably going to be the Diamond & Pearl Remaster.

13 minutes ago, soniq said:

I never cared about Pokemon games or Pokemon in general, but this seems exciting. How is this different from a real Pokemon game?

It's basically the same as Pokémon Yellow, one of the first gen Pokémon games, with a few differences:

- better graphics than any previous core game due to being on the Switch instead of an older dedicated handheld.

- core games have gameplay that's a but more complicated (or less not-complicated) gameplay options. You don't see the wild Pokémon before they jump you, you have to weaken them in battle before you try to catch them, there's HMs to teach your Pokémon moves tou need to advance the map (I wonder how they deal with this one seeing as HMs are reported to not be in the game)...

Other than that, everything kind of seems to be there. Of note for regular fans is also that it's exclusively first generation Pokémon, which fans are divided on whether it's the best generation or it only deserves credit for starting the franchise.

7 minutes ago, ElEyeman said:

I bet you that the next core game is probably going to be the Diamond & Pearl Remaster.

You're on. Let's Go being a remake of Yellow makes me very confident that the 2019 core game will be something new, not another remake/remaster.

I'll come back to the thread when we know to either congratulate you on your win or to boast about mine B)

These games look really bad (We're in 2018 and they are using the Switch but they are not even able to deliver a good looking Pokemon game like Battle Revolution, which was released 12 years ago by the way) but I'm not too surprised considering they want to appeal to Pokemon Go players. 

I'll wait for a proper Pokemon game with Gen 8 in 2019, the Switch may have more appealing games by then.

Edited by itachi-destroyer

This looks absolutely fantastic.

My partner loves her Pokemon, will get the new release most years (didn't bother with Super Sun and Moon though since she already had Moon), play the shit out of it for 20 hours or so, then drop the thing. I never got into the series, but have flirted recently in the last few months with the idea, playing a good 5 hours or so on my Nokia 3310 (because I can) before I lent the phone to someone, I really dug it, and was certain that with the upcoming Switch game I would jump in day one, plus it helped that Caitlyn was already probably gonna be getting it as I hinted at earlier.

I absolutely love 

. That it's a remake / ish of an older one, meaning it hopefully won't take me years to actually finish

. That the graphics are gorgeous and modern

. THE TWO PLAYER DROP IN / DROP OUT CO-OP MODE, HOLY SHIT

That co-op mode is what 100% sold it for me. I can buy the game as a gift for my partner (drops in Nov 16 in America, which is Nov 17 here, which is literally her birthday, the last two or three have dropped either on or a day or two off her birthday too and it's almost a tradition at this point), she can enjoy playing the ever loving shit out of it, then when she's done I can give it a go and play as the casual I am, knowing that it's going to be a scaled down and more of a gateway game for people like me, AND I can play in two player with someone who's way better at it than me, that's a whole bag of awesome right there, I am excite.

HOWEVER,

I never played Pokemon Go because, well, it just looks absolutely stupid to me, and if it turns out to be a relatively big part of the game, I will be bummed, because I have no intention of ever playing that game, and if it is shown to be integral, they can kiss their sale from me goodbye.

I hope the box art is temporary. As for the game, I was excited until I learned you don't battle the Pokemon so I no longer care about it. Went from wanting a Switch finally, to going back to not caring at all about it. What a waste of Pokemon Yellow.

They lost me at "play the game with one hand." They lost me again at co-op mode. I don't really get the pokeball controller, is it just going to make annoying sounds when you carry it around or it's got tomogotchi mechanics as well? Didn't they already have a tomogotchi peripheral? I think you would need to shake-weight it for the pokemon trapped inside to gain exp?

Overall the trailer was too many gimmicks and not enough pokemon RPG mechanics for me. I'd probably pick up the game if it was on PS4 or Vita, but I'm not picking up a Switch for this. Guess I'll wait and see what the real Pokemon game in 2019 is going to be like.

1 hour ago, Stardew Shelly said:

I think the name is kinda shit, but otherwise it's exactly what I wanted. Pre-ordered it months ago.

Note that there's a new core Pokémon RPG coming in 2019, so you don't need to buy this if you don't feel like it, there's more Pokémon on the way :)

Let's Go really seems to be aimed at people for who the core series isn't casual enough. Very wise of them to immediately reveal that there'll be a core game in 2019 so the long time fans don't need to be too worried.

I’m not sold on it yet. Why does it look so bad? Colosseum and X.D look graphically superior. Red looks terrible. Will we forced to use Pokemon Go? Why can’t we capture Pokemon normally? I don’t want to wave the Joy Con. I'm hoping this experiment bombs, otherwise the next generation is gonna be just as bad. 

I wanted Pokemon on the Switch, but I don't want this. 

Edited by Venocide

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

It's basically the same as Pokémon Yellow, one of the first gen Pokémon games, with a few differences

The only Pokemon games I tried for a few minutes were Red, Yellow and Fire Red, so this being another remake of these games sounds almost too perfect. :D

21 minutes ago, soniq said:

The only Pokemon games I tried for a few minutes were Red, Yellow and Fire Red, so this being another remake of these games sounds almost too perfect. :D

Yeah, it does seem pretty good for people to get into the series (again). If it's cheaper than a full game and if the 2019 game comes with a new area, new Pokémon and the gameplay as we know it, then I'm not complaining at all.

Due to the nature of the Let's Go gameplay, it'll probaby be more of a slow burn for me than something I want to play dozens of hours of in the first week alone.

I'll probably want that Pokeball more than the game! xD

I'm still unsure about this. But I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm a little bit excited for it~

There are three main gripes I currently have with this game tho:

1. Gen 1. Yay, another Kanto game... Hope you genwunners are happy. =(
  2. No wild battles, only trainers. Makes catching Pokemon less exciting which is a huge letdown for me. The whole game is basically a glorified Safari Zone.
  3. No online. ;_; Apparently, there are online functionalities. My bad.

The boxart don't look great either. Looks low-effort photoshoped. :/

Will wait for some gameplay impressions. Hopefully during the Treehouse event at E3!

Edited by LittleBlueMacaw

I was incredibly hyped for this based on the rumors and after hearing more I'm feeling a little bit skeptical but I'm still interested. Yellow is one of my favorites but I never got in to Go so I'll have to wait and see. At least there's a main game coming out next year either way so if this isn't for me I have that to look forward to.

7 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

It's basically the same as Pokémon Yellow, one of the first gen Pokémon games, with a few differences:

- better graphics than any previous core game due to being on the Switch instead of an older dedicated handheld.

- core games have gameplay that's a but more complicated (or less not-complicated) gameplay options. You don't see the wild Pokémon before they jump you, you have to weaken them in battle before you try to catch them, there's HMs to teach your Pokémon moves tou need to advance the map (I wonder how they deal with this one seeing as HMs are reported to not be in the game)...

Other than that, everything kind of seems to be there. Of note for regular fans is also that it's exclusively first generation Pokémon, which fans are divided on whether it's the best generation or it only deserves credit for starting the franchise.

You're on. Let's Go being a remake of Yellow makes me very confident that the 2019 core game will be something new, not another remake/remaster.

I'll come back to the thread when we know to either congratulate you on your win or to boast about mine B)

Article on siliconera states it will also include some alola pokemon, plus one new never before seen pokemon

as for no wild encounters, this game just feels like a glorified home console version of Pokemon Go, so it will be a hard pass for me

Ok, after a good sleep and a nice breakfast, I'm ready for commenting lol Watched the trailer a couple of times again, read all the comments and I think I can come with a more complete assessment of what I saw.

Here are the things I did like about the trailer:

- The game looks like a remake of the first Pokemon generation, which is very special for me since it was my introduction to the series and has, in my opinion, the best Pokemon designs, the best rival of all the games I've played and the best villainous team as well.

- The graphics and style befit the franchise.

- I don't mind co-op if it is done right and not forced into the player. As it stands on the video, it looks it could be fun. Nintendo usually finds ways to implement this in a positive way, I just hope it is not like, say, Super Mario Galaxy (awesome game with boring co-op).

- I like how the game is being touted as a spin-off in the franchise but on familiar territory. Not only does it give some fresh new room for experimentation but it also tries to not stray too far away from the tried-and-true formula. Just like it says near the end of the video "Your first adventure in a new style".

- The battles look standard and not overly-simplified...which is good.

Here are the things I didn't like about the trailer:

- I honestly couldn't care less about the connectivity with Pokemon Go.

- The whole catching mechanic looks way too simplistic and similar to Pokemon Go which is a no-no for me. It'd be better if wild Pokemon could be battled, affected by status conditions and whatnot, you know, like the normal games.

- The Pokeball Plus accessory looks... kind of nice and useful if you live in a normal place? It immediately reminded me of the Pokewalker that came out with my copy of Heart Gold that I never used and was shelved off for eternity somewhere :)

- Boxart design looks generic at best.

- Not enough Sandslash! WTH! ... I know this is more of a personal gripe but there wasn't a single second of my favorite Pokemon on screen. Shame on you Nintendo :facepalm:

Overall, the game looks good and interesting. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about it. It certainly pushes me towards Switch territory but it doesn't sell me out the console completely yet. Hopefully, they still have a chance to iron out the stuff I didn't like about the game and show more about it in the upcoming months. This opinion comes from a Poke Fan that has played all the games from Blue to Black 2. I own X for my 3DS but I haven't played it. I'm still pending to get the most recent games. There is stuff going around that doesn't let me move so fast on them... I guess you could say I have some catching up to do with the games ha ha ha xD

As a side note, whoever Nintendo is using to do their advertisement ever since they came out with the Switch, seriously needs a prize for getting people excited lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Ok, after a good sleep and a nice breakfast, I'm ready for commenting lol Watched the trailer a couple of times again, read all the comments and I think I can come with a more complete assessment of what I saw.

Here are the things I did like about the trailer:

- The game looks like a remake of the first Pokemon generation, which is very special for me since it was my introduction to the series and has, in my opinion, the best Pokemon designs, the best rival of all the games I've played and the best villainous team as well.

- The graphics and style befit the franchise.

- I don't mind co-op if it is done right and not forced into the player. As it stands on the video, it looks it could be fun. Nintendo usually finds ways to implement this in a positive way, I just hope it is not like, say, Super Mario Galaxy (awesome game with boring co-op).

- I like how the game is being touted as a spin-off in the franchise but on familiar territory. Not only does it give some fresh new room for experimentation but it also tries to not stray too far away from the tried-and-true formula. Just like it says near the end of the video "Your first adventure in a new style".

- The battles look standard and not overly-simplified...which is good.

Here are the things I didn't like about the trailer:

- I honestly couldn't care less about the connectivity with Pokemon Go.

- The whole catching mechanic looks way too simplistic and similar to Pokemon Go which is a no-no for me. It'd be better if wild Pokemon could be battled, affected by status conditions and whatnot, you know, like the normal games.

- The Pokeball Plus accessory looks... kind of nice and useful if you live in a normal place? It immediately reminded me of the Pokewalker that came out with my copy of Heart Gold that I never used and was shelved off for eternity somewhere :)

- Boxart design looks generic at best.

- Not enough Sandslash! WTH! ... I know this is more of a personal gripe but there wasn't a single second of my favorite Pokemon on screen. Shame on you Nintendo :facepalm:

Overall, the game looks good and interesting. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about it. It certainly pushes me towards Switch territory but it doesn't sell me out the console completely yet. Hopefully, they still have a chance to iron out the stuff I didn't like about the game and show more about it in the upcoming months. This opinion comes from a Poke Fan that has played all the games from Blue to Black 2. I own X for my 3DS but I haven't played it. I'm still pending to get the most recent games. There is stuff going around that doesn't let me move so fast on them... I guess you could say I have some catching up to do with the games ha ha ha xD

As a side note, whoever Nintendo is using to do their advertisement ever since they came out with the Switch, seriously needs a prize for getting people excited lol

How are you supposed to be able to train and level up for trainers if there's no wild encounters? Does the game just give a ton of rare candies or something?

11 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

How are you supposed to be able to train and level up for trainers if there's no wild encounters? Does the game just give a ton of rare candies or something?

That wasn't really cleared up in the video.

I think in Pokemon Go one has to catch a lot of Wild Pokemon of the same species in order to obtain a candy that is used to level up a Pokemon of the species you have been catching. I think it was that way... I honestly can't remember. I hope the leveling up process is not like that because it'd be lame.