Joining Game Sessions before earning trophies

4 minutes ago, Executioner0 said:

I can see that could be a problem, yes. I installed TDU2 and it's showing as 0% on my synced PS3 profile, yet I still can't join. Perhaps the ability to join through an Invite could be a way to achieve this.

You just need the game to show up here (if you earn a trophy in another game after syncing that 0% list to PSN, and then update your profile here, it will add the game at 0% here, and will allow you to join sessions).

You just need to have the game in your profile here to be able to join, there's no need to actually have earned trophies for said game.

I do that when I want to only start a game when I'm ready to do the online, so I may need to create a session before earning any trophies. This also allows me to delete the trophy list if something goes wrong while gathering people..

And, if you just want to join a session from someone else, just post a message saying that you are interested, but didn't started the game yet or something.. I sometimes do this even when I actually don't have the game, and just buy the game in time for the session.. It's not hard to work around the limitations of the current system if you really want to join a session, and it avoids spam from trolls..

• Like 1

Sometimes before investing money in the game, they might want to know that people are on board, so they could make a session before having the game and say "If I have enough people to boost, I will have the game by this date", a lot of games have 8 player trophies and so on and the game mode is dead so you need to boost and a lot of the time people want to get the trophies that require the most people done first so they don't need to worry about looking for people to help. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Sometimes before investing money in the game, they might want to know that people are on board, so they could make a session before having the game and say "If I have enough people to boost, I will have the game by this date", a lot of games have 8 player trophies and so on and the game mode is dead so you need to boost and a lot of the time people want to get the trophies that require the most people done first so they don't need to worry about looking for people to help. 

This exactly. Only reason I haven’t participated in moto racer 4 sessions yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dark said:

This exactly. Only reason I haven’t participated in moto racer 4 sessions yet. 

There's not any punishment currently for flunking a session for a game that you own, so I don't see what's wrong with making a session for a game you don't have yet. There's not many things worse for me personally than buying a game and not being able to do it because of stupid trophies that I couldn't get. I really go out of my way sometimes to get the trophies that require the most people out of the way as soon as possible, which sometimes requires some psychological manipulation because most of the time I don't give a damn about the game, but I gather random people who I saw playing the game and message them saying things like "hey, we could team up and play in a full lobby, let's have some fun". I'll just say because the vanilla version of Marvel vs Capcom 3 has an 8 player trophy and the game is purely dead, I have purchased more copies than I really wanted so when I start the game I'll only need a few people to join the lobby and get that trophy. 

• Like 2

I guess it's kind of like a security measure, that way you know people actually have the game at the time.

Also if you don't have the game and still want to join, i usually message the host on the boosting session and maybe send an additional PSN message. You won't show up on the session that way, but you'd still be able to participate. Well it's not preferred by the site, but i've not run into any issues yet.

• Like 1

I’d also like this, especially for old PS3 titles with unstable servers, or even announced server shutdown dates. Sometimes servers have been shut prior to the given date or even without notice. I’d like to earn all online trophies before syncing in those cases.

I usually post in sessions for these games without joining, and the host is always fine with that, but the problem is that someone else will join in the spot I’m already occupying, as the session says there are still free spots, and then we are either too many or uneccesarily many.

What about letting players create sessons for all games, but if the game is not on their list, the session will be marked somehow, so everyone is aware that the host haven’t played the game. Then everyone could tell from the session-description if the session is serious or a troll. As for joining, maybe by requesting to joining and then the host could manually approve?

14 hours ago, Sly Ripper said:

People would join/create sessions for games they don't have

This is fine.

Many people like to plan in advance to get trophies for games. I will only buy certain games if I can guarantee that  I can boost the online stuff, for example.

Right now we're still having issues with people randomly joining or creating sessions and not following up, people making a ton of "reserve" sessions at the same time slots and maybe they pick the one with more people, and a bunch of other weird stuff we have to deal with just with people who own those games. I don't think Sly will want to make the possibility this kind of thing to occur even more by adding the ability to make a session for any game at the moment :dunno:

• 4 months later...

Since I have a private profile I am unable to join or create any sessions. Any workaround for that other than going public again?

What if there was some sort of demerit for creating sessions and then canceling them without a majority vote from all people who had joined. As it stands, I've had several sessions just drop out from under me when the host got what they needed and then left the rest of us flat with no organization. Some members here don't actually ever use the session system as intended. Many people view all sessions as placeholders. Maybe having an option to create placeholder sessions separately from scheduled sessions. Then it would act as more of a fluid boosting thread but more organized than a traditional thread.

The session feature is an amazing idea and the entire reason I joined the site in the first place. But it is vastly underutilized and extremely abused. 

Edited by clickclick-uhoh