The Last of Us Part II – June 19, 2020

Ghost

8 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Question, the game can already be preloaded? Or somebody knows when? Size?

Not yet - usually it's a few days before release.

EDIT: You can pre-load on June 12. The file size is 93GB. Game journalists have received their review copy.

Edited by Ghost
corrected
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

93GB

Thanks for the correction.

The Digital Deluxe Edition is at 99.04GB

It looks great. I also saw like a podcast with Alanah Pearce and Troy Baker. Really humanised this whole circus. Most of the comments on these videos are so generic and cringe of course. It's like these people never had an original thought in their lives. Will I get this game day one? Probably not. But I will get it eventually for sure. 

• Like 2

Both on Amazon US and Amazon UK, The Last of Us Part 2 is listed in the top ten best sellers in the Video Games category. Top selling game in the list when you take into account that the best sellers at the top of the list are points cards and accessories. So even if people cancelled, it's not enough to keep it from being a best selling game at least on the largest online retailer in the world.

https://tinyurl.com/y868467p

Amazon US Best Seller list for Video Games

https://tinyurl.com/yaqbtrk5

Amazon UK Best Seller list for PC & Video Games

https://tinyurl.com/y8zee8gz

It's even #2 on Amazon Japan

Edited by Seraphim_Rez

A collection of previews from gaming sites and their first impressions.

The Last of Us 2's firefights are fraught, uncomfortable, fantastic | Push Square:

The violence, at this kind of fidelity, will make you feel uncomfortable – but that’s all according to Naughty Dog’s plan. While we can’t elaborate further, this is a game about hatred and vengeance; it’s about obsession and how the cycle of violence destroys everything it touches. If you want to know more, you’re going to have to wait for our full review on 12th June. Until then, we’ll leave you with our overall impressions on this short sequence we’re allowed to preview: chef’s kiss.

The Last of Us Part 2 Preview: Shockingly Ruthless | GameSpot:

The melee combat feels incredibly good, but it's hard not to wince when you slam a machete into a person's shoulder or take them down with a knife to the side of the head. The damage modelling is satisfying, but there's always going to be a shock when someone's head shatters from a rifle shot or someone's skin gets melted by a Molotov cocktail. And when other enemy characters cry out the name of the guard dog you just exploded in front of them in disbelief, it's hard not to feel like a bad person. Whether this approach translates well to the rest of the game is something you'll have to wait until June 19 to discover.

How does ‘The Last of Us Part II’ play? The answer is extremely well. | Washington Post:

The decisions to hide or kill feed perfectly into the overriding moral journey and the humanization of non-player character adversaries. Many of those you kill feel distinctly human. Even the infected have stories to tell, through notes they left behind in their abandoned homes or elsewhere. Ellie is evolving into something she herself may not be proud of in her quest for revenge. The bloody gameplay syncs extremely well with the journey of the protagonist, and with the ravaged world that only has tiny remnants of humanity left. As a player, it’s so effective that it can feel downright disturbing.

The Last of Us Part 2’s beautiful world is filled with death | GamesRadar:

That The Last of Us Part 2 can create such complex emotions in the short segment I can discuss says a lot. But it’s how that plays out over the wider context of the full story that will really leave its mark. It’s a game that’s going to be discussed for a long time to come.

The Last of Us Part 2 initial review | Pocket-Lint:

In short, even from just this section it is clear to see how much effort and love has been poured into the look and sound of The Last of Us Part 2. It is a cinematic experience that stays with you long after the TV has been switched off.

Indeed, if this proves to be the swansong for this console generation, Naughty Dog has seemingly once again given a Sony machine a fitting end.

The Last of Us Part II – could this be the best game ever made? | Evening Standard:

From the pacing, the detail in the environments to the humanising of your enemies, this game is going to blow you away.

The Last of Us Part 2's Combat Cycle: Beating Hearts and Butchery | IGN:

Enemy encounters are frequent, but it’s credit to Naughty Dog that each one feels different to the last. Whether that be down to the variety in enemy type, items at your disposal, or your chosen playstyle, every fight feels dynamic. You can go in with a plan, but have to think quickly on your feet as Ellie’s cover is blown or a new threat enters the scene. The combat of The Last of Us Part 2 is constantly rotating between heart-pounding tension and brutal butchery and forms a circle of violence that is wholly unpleasant, but necessary for the story it is trying to tell.

The Last of Us Part II Preview: Bigger, Better, Bolder | GameSpew:

Your journey from the theatre to the hospital is just one small part of The Last of Us Part II, and so how much it crams in should be telling. It hints at a bigger, better and bolder sequel in which everything feels more dynamic and natural. Though while the gameplay of this particular segment is exemplary, what really drives you forward is the story; the reason why you’re doing what you’re doing. Unfortunately I can’t mention any of that here, though to be honest I wouldn’t want to. I don’t want to spoil it for you. But if you loved The Last of Us, you’re in for a treat. Even if you think you might have been spoiled.

The Last of Us Part II: so much more than just another zombie story | The Guardian:

Naughty Dog’s willingness to tackle difficult and sometimes distressing themes and material, in a way that’s grounded in believable characters, make this more than just another zombie story. Like the best post-apocalyptic fiction, from the early seasons of The Walking Dead to The Road, it’s a story about people, and the extraordinary and horrific things they can do for each other, or to each other.

The Last of Us Part 2 Preview: The dreary streets of Seattle | Stevivor:

To say that The Last of Us Part 2 is immersive is an understatement; I went in focused on linear progression and on-screen prompts about hints but that quickly melted away as I sat gripping a DualShock with my pulse racing, happy to have scraped by in a fight with the infected. In mere minutes, I stopped thinking about Ellie as a character in a game and started thinking about me — her — and my survival. Naughty Dog is great at character and equally as good as a compelling narrative, and what I’ve experienced is no exception.

We Cranked The Last of Us 2 to ‘Survivor’ Difficulty, It Left None | PowerUp!:

All I can really say is that come June 19, you’re going to want to block a few days out in your social calendar. Some of your allotted hours will be spent on playing, others will be needed for quiet contemplation…or a foolish replay attempt on Grounded. Either way, clearly what we have here is a sequel that’s guaranteed to grow on you quicker than cordyceps wall fungus.

Greg Miller's The Last of Us Part II Preview:

I don't understand how anything else could be game of the year.

The Last of Us Part II Preview | Game Informer:

Obviously, a lot of the context that informs this whole two-hour sequence is missing here, especially since it’s set partway through the game. But even if we could talk about story stuff now, we wouldn’t want to. The less you know now, the more you will enjoy the experience when you’re playing it for yourself on June 19.

The Last Of Us Part II Preview: A Bigger, Braver Sequel

New enemies, new abilities and new details - hands-on with The Last of Us Part 2 | Eurogamer:

The story will eventually speak for itself in the full context of the game, but as for the extended gameplay section we've played, it shows that in terms of gorgeous, terrifying spectacle and scrappy, panicked survival, The Last of Us is still unrivalled.

The Last Of Us Part 2 preview – love and hate in Seattle | Metro:

But as impressive as the technology is, it’s the story and characters that is most important to The Last Of Part 2. But whether you’ve read the spoilers or not you, literally, don’t know the full story and that’s definitely going to be worth discovering when the game is finally released later this month.

The Last of Us 2 Preview | Trusted Reviews:

The Last of Us 2 is an accomplished sequel in every regard. It feels marvellous to play, and doubles down on the thematic elements that helped the original shine. Ellie is a stunning, nuanced lead who exhibits far more emotional depth than her black and white tale of revenge would have you believe.

The Last of Us 2 Review | TechRadar:

The Last of Us 2 doesn't seem to be simply a rehash of its predecessor. Instead it elevates the original formula, adding some small but vital features, while keeping the elements that made us fall in love with the original.

Hands-on with Naughty Dog's stunning farewell to PS4 | Digital Foundry

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 4

On 20/05/2020 at 8:34 AM, Spaz said:

The big problem was thousands of fans out there were riding on this game for years since they absolutely adored and loved the original The Last of Us. Me personally, never could understand the sheer hype and anticipation that game received back in 2013. I'm completely fed up with zombies and the apocalypse story... whether it be fan fiction, video games, movies, television, even written novels. It's been done to death. Plenty of media has done these kinds of stories to great success in the past. I just couldn't see what was so great about the first game.

Speaking of which, I have at least three to five games with zombies and horror infused in them from my backlog, so I won't be short of that.

To end my rambling, many of these fans saw the leak the moment it was released on the internet and immediately decided NOT to buy the game. They let that crap get to their heads and then decided to attack Naughty Dog. The way I see that company, it's not as great as it used to be. But there was no reason to just attack them viciously like they did on Twitter. They tried to back Neil himself into a corner. Is that what kids nowadays are doing?

I swear this generation of gamers is the most crybaby, self entitled, arrogant bunch of people I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

I have many friends that are on the same boat as you. Never understood the hype for TLOU. And your right we've been fed with zombie games. But the way i see TLOU, it's not just a game about zombies and to be honest it could be anything else than zombies and it would remain on my top games of all time list anyway. May sound weird, but the reason why i loved this game so much, isn't at all gaming related, cause we'll say it, TLOU has nothing on the gamplay side that is revolutionary. I mean, stealth have been done for years, the crafting is really minimalist and the gunplay sections too are kind of simple.

But, return to my point, what caught me and probably the most majority of fans, is the story telling and character development. ND have a sense for story telling. The way the relationship between Ellie and Joel evolve over time. The poeple they meet over the course of the game. Many parts of the game are just memorable to me. And the characters are all extremely different and well done to me. There are moment in this game that a just printed in my head that i remember playing like it was yesterday.

One reason i'm kind of mad at ND, is that i think they shown too much of the game. I understand that it's all part of a marketing plan, but i would've like that they kept Dina's death ''secret'' (a part of me want to think that they mislead us this whole time). I would've like only to see a really pissed of Elie, without knowing why. I've been spoiled, but it certainly won't stop me playing this game because i know that i love ND way of telling a story (I loved Uncharted 4 for this specific reason).

It's my two cents.

• Like 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-05-there-are-games-that-are-just-comfort-food-this-is-not-one-of-those

"... how far are you willing to go for love, but when someone has wronged someone you really care about, how far are you willing to go to do right by them to bring the people responsible to justice and what effect that would have could have on you - in this case Ellie - the journey she goes on the people around her, if they're going too far and if so are they ever coming back from that?"

"You think you know what's right and wrong in the world. You are sexually attracted to people you're attracted to. Those are all things we want to explore for this character - that's how we do honest storytelling.

So if you somehow have a problem with that, well, then that sucks, but the story's gonna win for us. It's ironic or maybe sad - I think that people will benefit the most from this kind of story are the ones that are yelling the loudest right now, but I hope there's enough in the game to draw them in and just normalize stuff that is normal. It is part of our society and it is part of owning up to an interesting nuanced character."

"And yeah, a lot of the misconception is like, oh, we're somehow sacrificing the story to win diversity points. And that's not how we work. Everything is in service of the story. Getting better diversity gives us better story, gives us fresher perspectives on conflict. And I hope once they play the game, they'll realize it."

• Like 3

This should be old news but...

a local youtuber who got an early copy revealed on IG that the plat can be obtained...

Spoiler

even on easy mode, with only NG+ required, and no online trophies so far.

We probably looking for a GoW/Spider-man kind of platinum. Thats...ok.

Edited by Longbottom45

1 minute ago, Longbottom45 said:

a local youtuber who got an early copy revealed on IG that the plat can be obtained...

Reveal hidden contents

That doesn't need to be put in spoilers. And it's redundant to acknowledge that there aren't online trophies, as it's been confirmed officially that there is no online.

1 minute ago, Longbottom45 said:

For a "survival-horror" game, that is actually very disappointing if it does end up like those examples.

31 minutes ago, Longbottom45 said:

Hide contents

I really hope that isn’t true. It would be very disappointing for me. I was hoping a Grounded playthrough would be necessary for the platinum this time. Usually, Naughty Dog always asks you to complete their games on the highest difficulty, if you want the platinum. We will know for sure soon, anyway.

• Like 4

Update 1.01 detailed:

The 4GB update does the following:

Change log:

New Features:

• Photo Mode
  • Concept Art Gallery
  • Model Viewer

– General bug fixes and improvements

– Additional accessibility options

ThePlaystationBrahs

Edited by Ghost

8 hours ago, Carol said:

I really hope that isn’t true. It would be very disappointing for me. I was hoping a Grounded playthrough would be necessary for the platinum this time. Usually, Naughty Dog always asks you to complete their games on the highest difficulty, if you want the platinum. We will know for sure soon, anyway.

Yeah, maybe they will add it as DLC trophies like in the first one... And maybe if there is no online trophies maybe they will add some in the future if a multiplayer mode is added, and surely they will add some horrible MP trophies like ND always do (U2, U3, U4, TLoU (PS3)...)

I hope if there is a multiplayer part for TLoU2 later they will add its own trophy list with a plat like RE3 and RE Resistance...

• Like 1

If the trophy list is going to have no difficulty specific, it would be extremely disappointing. I know people didn't like the last game's trophy list but it at least did have difficulty specific. But then again, ND did make trophy lists easier and easier with U4 and ULL, despite difficulty specific trophies, they decide to put a cheap shot there because of unlimited ammo and one shot kill cheats. 

• Like 1