Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon not on Reignited Trilogy disc

MidnightDragon

I CANNOT fathom why people are making excuses for Activision about this! Like wtf people? I don’t care one bit about this game but holy shit! Its like you really want people to buy the other 2 games if they bought the disc pre used just because you want that extra 20$ while you make around 6 billion dollars a year? The money coming from this would be a drop in the bucket Activision! I thought this was for the fans as a gift from the past! Actually wtf 

16 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

I CANNOT fathom why people are making excuses for Activision about this! Like wtf people? I don’t care one bit about this game but holy shit! Its like you really want people to buy the other 2 games if they bought the disc pre used just because you want that extra 20$ while you make around 6 billion dollars a year? The money coming from this would be a drop in the bucket Activision! I thought this was for the fans as a gift from the past! Actually wtf 

What I understand is that it's a free update not a one-use code, so it's always going to download with the disc, just not be usable when the disc isn't in there.

14 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Would you please stop spamming blank posts?

I don't think they were blank posts but he has edited/deleted the content in them for some reason, you can still see what was in them in the posts below has the original one quoted.

It could be me, but I don't get why people are so angry about this and even saying to cancel their pre-orders :facepalm: . You still have access to the games, just two of them are digital, which doesn't matter at all when playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer physical over digital myself, but at least the games will be available at launch instead of it being delayed. And there's still a box to add to the physical collection. Now if you were planning on buying a used copy, then I can imagine this being a punch in the face. But hey, until it's confirmed that the other two games are a redeemable code, let's all just calm down and look forward to playing one of the PS1's gems.

17 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Even worse is that this makes the game unavailable for players that purchase the game once the servers have gone down and the game is delisted. That basically means they cannot play it anymore, unless they game share with someone that does have it. :( 

Servers? Games are purchased on PSN or has this been changed for Spyro?

Edit: never mind, didn't realise it was going to be added as a patch.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

as someone with a sometimes slow internet speed I feel people who see this as a problem, most of the time my internet is ok but not good at any stretch and I can't get better so I prefer physical games unless it's really cheap
this won't phase ME much but a lot of people in rural areas and/or very slow internet will see this as a big problem, big enough to not buy the game

I wouldn't be surprised if this hurts the sales by a big chunk

19 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

No, nothing changed. People are just panicking about not getting a full physical copy they can still play 15-20 years from now.

Btw, as has been said a couple of times in this thread, Spyro 2 and 3 won't require a code or anything, so a used copy will work just the same new one and nothing. It will be more like a patch.

20 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It could be me, but I don't get why people are so angry about this and even saying to cancel their pre-orders :facepalm: . You still have access to the games, just two of them are digital, which doesn't matter at all when playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer physical over digital myself, but at least the games will be available at launch instead of it being delayed. And there's still a box to add to the physical collection. Now if you were planning on buying a used copy, then I can imagine this being a punch in the face. But hey, until it's confirmed that the other two games are a redeemable code, let's all just calm down and look forward to playing one of the PS1's gems.

PSN are on a server. And for example The Wii shop channel are shutting down next year. So who says it won't happen to Playstation?

"you also won’t be able to re-download previously purchased Wii and Virtual Console games or the Wii System Transfer Tool to move files to the Wii U." 

from: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16385622/nintendo-wii-shop-channel-january-2019-shut-down-download-games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andreas807 said:

PSN are on a server. And for example The Wii shop channel are shutting down next year. So who says it won't happen to Playstation?

"you also won’t be able to re-download previously purchased Wii and Virtual Console games or the Wii System Transfer Tool to move files to the Wii U." 

from: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16385622/nintendo-wii-shop-channel-january-2019-shut-down-download-games

Bad example, because Nintendo's online service has always been shit and is probably the worst compared to PSN, XBL and Steam. The Wii and DSi would register digital purchases to your console and not an account for example.

You can still download PSP games on the Vita. You can also still download PS3 games.

11 minutes ago, soniq said:

Btw, as has been said a couple of times in this thread, Spyro 2 and 3 won't require a code or anything, so a used copy will work just the same new one and nothing. It will be more like a patch.

Oooooh, in that case there's nothing to complain about, even for people that are planning on getting a used copy.

10 minutes ago, andreas807 said:

But even now people can still buy PS1 games on PSN. Besides, I seriously doubt Sony would ever close the entire PSN.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

20 minutes ago, soniq said:

Bad example, because Nintendo's online service has always been shit and is probably the worst compared to PSN, XBL and Steam. The Wii and DSi would register digital purchases to your console and not an account for example.

You can still download PSP games on the Vita. You can also still download PS3 games.

This, THIS. And PSN on PSP is still functional, contrary to popular belief (they only shut down the Store app)

1 hour ago, fbdbh said:

What I understand is that it's a free update not a one-use code, so it's always going to download with the disc, just not be usable when the disc isn't in there.

Well, in that case it’s like Uncharted 4 having the good features only available on the day one patch, skins, gameplay modifiers...if that’s the case it’s still shitty, just less shitty. 

If not then honestly they don’t care about their audience anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

But even now people can still buy PS1 games on PSN. Besides, I seriously doubt Sony would ever close the entire PSN.

I see a good chance that Sony will have shutdown the PS3 Store within 10-15 years. At that point it's just no longer profitable to keep it up.

Just now, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I see a good chance that Sony will have shutdown the PS3 Store within 10-15 years. At that point it's just no longer profitable to keep it up.

If they shut down the Store on PS3 who cares, it's already malfunctional since... huh, 2016? 2015? If you search for something you're instantly kicked to the XMB.

Even the Download Queue, which is vital for games with multiple DLC, doesn't work anymore, and they don't bother fixing it, or pretend it's already fixed. Idiots.

1 minute ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

That could very well happen, especially now that the PS3 and Vita games are being dropped from PS+ starting March 2019. If the PS3's access to the store app is cut off, there's always the one that can be accessed from the computer. It's possible to download stuff from the PS3 store on that and the console will do it.

14 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

If they shut down the Store on PS3 who cares, it's already malfunctional since... huh, 2016? 2015? If you search for something you're instantly kicked to the XMB.

Even the Download Queue, which is vital for games with multiple DLC, doesn't work anymore, and they don't bother fixing it, or pretend it's already fixed. Idiots.

I was just bringing that up as an example. Eventually the PS4 store will be obsolete as well, and then what? Anyone that wants to play the 2nd and 3rd games after that will have to either game share or pirate them.

On 3/8/2018 at 0:30 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

That could very well happen, especially now that the PS3 and Vita games are being dropped from PS+ starting March 2019. If the PS3's access to the store app is cut off, there's always the one that can be accessed from the computer. It's possible to download stuff from the PS3 store on that and the console will do it.

Or the Download List from the PS3 itself. The "one that can be accessed from the computer" doesn't work at the moment, like i wrote above:

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS-Store/Download-queue-doesn-t-work-anymore-with-PS3-Vita-content/m-p/25672431

https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/PlayStation-Network-Support.topic.html/download_queue_doesn-SfDj.html

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Assistenza-PS-Store/Coda-di-download-che-fa-le-bizze/td-p/25658472 (for Italian-speaking users)

On 3/8/2018 at 0:40 PM, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I was just bringing that up as an example. Eventually the PS4 store will be obsolete as well, and then what? Anyone that wants to play the 2nd and 3rd games after that will have to either game share or pirate them.

We won't know until it happens. Only Nintendo did it, but they were different compared to Microsoft, Sony, Steam, whatever.

Edited by Lance_87

39 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

This, THIS. And PSN on PSP is still functional, contrary to popular belief (they only shut down the Store app)

I don't own a PSP anymore but surely if the store app is shut that means you cannot download any games from it to the PSP? Exactly the same thing that people are worried about happening with the PS4 at some point be it with Spyro or any other games that have been made available only digitally, stick everything needed to play the games on the disc itself and you remove any worries about that and you're future proofed against other people/companies stopping you being able to play something through no fault of your own.

Everything being on the disc has no drawbacks, needing an internet connection even for something so minor as an unlock key (let alone a full game download) does.

Keep in mind i'm talking about the base game here but there is no benefit to the customer in having a situation were something needs an internet connection over not needing one outside of a disc drive failure in which case you cannot run the disc to download 2 and 3 anyway, why would you want any inconvenience either now or possibly in the future when there exist a way which removes any risk?

Fully physical has its benefits

Fully digital has its benefits
This 50/50 approach has neither

Edited by Martain2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

I don't own a PSP anymore but surely if the store app is shut that means you cannot download any games from it to the PSP? Exactly the same thing that people are worried about happening with the PS4 at some point be it with Spyro or any other games that have been made available only digitally, stick everything needed to play the games on the disc itself and you remove any worries about that and you're future proofed against other people/companies stopping you being able to play something through no fault of your own.

Everything being on the disc has no drawbacks, needing an internet connection even for something so minor as an unlock key (let alone a full game download) does.

Keep in mind i'm talking about the base game here but there is no benefit to the customer in having a situation were something needs an internet connection over not needing one outside of a disc drive failure in which case you cannot run the disc to download 2 and 3 anyway, why would you want any inconvenience either now or possibly in the future when there exist a way which removes any risk?

Fully physical has its benefits

Fully digital has its benefits
This 50/50 approach has neither

You can still download PSP games on the PSP, from the Download List or some PC program, i don't remember, but it's totally possible. Oh and you could also use a PS3. This works for all models except the E1000 (aka PSP Street, it has no Wi-Fi)

Edited by Lance_87

53 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

By that time, it will be available on PS5, and you can fork out extra 60$, there, problem solved, Activision mic drop.

11 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

Lets just hope this gets a reprint in a year with all the games on disc(with a new extra dlc level for spyro 1 and 3 ala the crash collection that was recently reprinted with the dlc levels on disc, if there is gonna be dlc levels(doubt it, but you never know).

Wouldn't really make sense to have an extra level for Spyro 1, the number of gems is a plot element and by adding another level, you're adding more gems (and thus ruining the first cutscene of the game.)

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Edit: never mind, didn't realise it was going to be added as a patch.

The problem is that that patch isn't always going to be available. I can go and put my Spyro 1, 2 and 3 discs into my PS3 and play them, and I will be able to forever. Disc rot could get to them, but disc rot isn't much of a problem these days. When PSN eventually goes down, and it will, just like XBL and Steam wont be eternal either, Spyro 2 and 3 remastered will be lost forever. You're stuck with one third of the content you purchased with no way to remedy that. I mean I'll probably be dead before that happens, but it's a shame for the future generations to be robbed of these classics, and they're just going to start missing out on more and more as this becomes common practice.

They are appealing to a group of people who wouldn't just go online and download a pirated copy of the old Spyro games and play on their phone or PC...

They are appealing to a group of older gamers who tend to buy physical and probably have nostalgia over this...

Buying physical and having to download two of the games is backwards when many buy physical to avoid having to download and to have a copy they can come back to and play later.

I'm just going to wait for either it being dirt cheap digital or they release a version with all the games on-disc.

Yes, activision, you lose money trying to rush or avoid piracy or some shit.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2