So Let's Really Talk about the Leaderboards

AffectatiousDonk

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Shareplaying isn't cheating when it's encouraged and advertised by Sony.

Why are you hypocritical? You tell people to stop criticizing others for how they spend their money and then straight up criticize them with an insult. 

This is clearly trolling at this point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Why are you hypocritical? You tell people to stop criticizing others for how they spend their money and then straight up criticize them with an insult. 

This is clearly trolling at this point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am more than happy to take another warning point for " trolling " if so deemed but to be honest with you I have probably bought more stacks of games than almost anyone so I don't think your point hasn't much validity. Perhaps the fact that I felt I needed to post that joke says soemthing though.  

36 minutes ago, Juzota said:

I've been playing games for 28 years. Thank you for finally telling the truth about everything.

Who knows, it is just how I see it. The funny thing is this thread will almost definitely cause negative friction but it doesn't matter. The only point was to show to others what is going on, I have long since given up on validation here. I meet some great people it is just a real shame that the vocal minority is so strong verbally but so weak " charitably " 

I was kinda spooked by the OP's warning, preparing myself for the hard to swallow redpill, but the post was pretty lukewarm.

Some people who get trophies are decent folk? I know that myself, as I'm beautiful, intelegent and modest.

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Sony is not an authority on what is cheating and what isn't.

2 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I was kinda spooked by the OP's warning, preparing myself for the hard to swallow redpill, but the post was pretty lukewarm.

Some people who get trophies are decent folk? I know that myself, as I'm beautiful, intelegent and modest.

Sony is not an authority on what is cheating and what isn't.

When it's their console, and their network, yes, yes they are. Otherwise there would be rules about it on their terms of service

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

When it's their console, and their network, yes, yes they are. Otherwise there would be rules about it on their terms of service

• You may not cheat, exploit or use any bugs, glitches, vulnerabilities or unintentional game mechanics in PSN Services or any of its products or services to obtain an unfair advantage.

3 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:
  • You may not cheat, exploit or use any bugs, glitches, vulnerabilities or unintentional game mechanics in PSN Services or any of its products or services to obtain an unfair advantage.

Like I said in my first post shareplay is not against their rules and they actively encourage people to use it as a built in feature on the ps4. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Like I said in my first post shareplay is not against their rules and they actively encourage people to use it as a built in feature on the ps4. 

Oh, I misunderstood.

So, your position is that buying plats on ebay is not cheating, because Sony didn't mentioned that practice in TOS, right?

Cheating is a term that has such a broad potential meaning. Cheating would be breaking the rules, right? this site has different rules then sony does.

23 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

So according to ToS, most guides on any trophy site encourage cheating by this definition. I can't even tell you how many games I've used glitches or not updated to the latest patch for some exploit or another. The important thing to remember is who is defining the rules. If you want to use this sites leaderboards, use their rules. 

The funny thing is the rules can change at any time. The rules in place aren't even all consistently enforced. You can't even get a consistent opinion on what cheating is either. People say multi team is cheating. people say stacks are cheating, people say glitches, downloaded saves, hacks, exploits, debug menus are all cheating. Some say they aren't. Play how you wanna play. But if you break a rule in a community to which you belong, don't be surprised if they hit you with a ban hammer of some kind.

2 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

2. Trophy Spammers ( taking a term the completionists so love to bander about ) don't have any ill will to " Completionists " by and large. The division never comes from this camp. If you don't accept that look at every thread started by a gamer on this issue.

What is a trophy spammer? You mean too easy games? Those sure makes it expensive to stay "competitive". I see no issue with people getting easy trophies, in large amounts. What I often see with easy and heavily stacked games, often done very fast, a lot of these games in a row, is that it's not the owner of the profile who actually got them the trophies. They let someone else do it for them. This of course is an issue in and of itself, but what we also find is that so many of them hack the trophies. Yes, they don't even play the games for them. Always raises a red flag for me.

10 minutes ago, clickclick-uhoh said:

Cheating is a term that has such a broad potential meaning. Cheating would be breaking the rules, right? this site has different rules then sony does.

So according to ToS, most guides on any trophy site encourage cheating by this definition. I can't even tell you how many games I've used glitches or not updated to the latest patch for some exploit or another. The important thing to remember is who is defining the rules. If you want to use this sites leaderboards, use their rules. 

The funny thing is the rules can change at any time. The rules in place aren't even all consistently enforced. You can't even get a consistent opinion on what cheating is either. People say multi team is cheating. people say stacks are cheating, people say glitches, downloaded saves, hacks, exploits, debug menus are all cheating. Some say they aren't. Play how you wanna play. But if you break a rule in a community to which you belong, don't be surprised if they hit you with a ban hammer of some kind.

They're referring to online modes in the terms of service

3. The Majority of Cheaters are not High Level Players. Completionists are notorious for cheating, I know many players that have abandoned accounts or are close to because of hacking or other such flag-able offences. I in no way blame them, Completionists succumb to a level of OCD that is at the pinnacle of trophy addiction. If you still feel this is BS then consider the fact that many of the high ranked players have spent 10's of thousands of dollars to get there, do you really think they will risk it on hacking a few trophies. If you need more proof most " Trophy Spammers " (what a distasteful term) don't care about completion so why would they care if they could finish a game. Now can you really say the same for all completionists. 

The majority of players are not high level players, but a good portion of the high level players are cheaters, so let's not kid ourselves here. As I said, out of the remaining top 150, and trust me, there's been a few that has been removed, 35% has one or two flags.

Many completionists are not cheaters, but the more trophies they got the more they seem to be willing to cheat if they simply can't get this one trophy. Often they won't get caught for that, and it's the ones that often find themselves in this situation that does, which is why they are more likely to be detected when they got a lot of games.

The argument that they wouldn't cheat when they've invested so much into their account is just false. They don't think they will get caught, so what are they risking? :P Sometimes it's not them who cheat it either, sometimes it's other players who play on their account.

100% on all PS3 games, and not on PS4 is a red flag for sure. Especially when a lot of PS3 games were finished up around the same time etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MMDE said:

The fact is, I've personally flagged and got deleted many of the top accounts that used to be there, so the top of the list has far less cheaters now. Still, the point you make here is false.

Fact:

9 out of the top 50 has a flag. 

5 out of the top 51-100 has a flag.

13 out of the top 101-150 has a flag, and I saw many of them had 2.

etc

That's 35% of what is left of the top 150, and this is just what mostly I and some few others have been able to detect.

Thankyou, perhaps that is why so many of what is left are good people. I only speak from my experience how many of the top 100 players left over the last 2 years or so. 

4. Hacking trophies is the simplest form of cheating. Many players on the boards often resort to " shareplay " or simply allow others to sign into their accounts to finish games or clock up the required amount of time / goals etc etc to meet the criteria in certain games. While this may be in the " grey " area if we are being honest this is clearly as much cheating as hacking if not more so.

I disagree. Yes, you didn't do it, but someone did put in the effort for that pop of the trophy. This is distinguished from using someone else's save file in that they haven't done it again for your trophy. The problem isn't as much that someone else does it for you IMO, it's more that it's done on a massive scale and that most of the time it's cheated, often not even played the games. The worst problem of all is edited trophies. They don't play or own the games. When you buy trophies from certain sites, this is what they do. Trust me, when I feel motivated to hunt for cheaters, these are the ones I care particularly much about, and always look for more ways to detect. I don't wanna discuss certain problematic aspects of it, because there's some serious ones. Your buddy or someone you know online playing shareplay for you, I don't give a damn about it.

• Like 1