PSN Online ID Change

6 minutes ago, Midnightwards666 said:

This new thread is valid and not just a duplicate of the linked thread, as it discusses a more specific topic - how will PSN Profiles handle the change? It's a good question, although no answer nor speculation from me. I think only Sly Ripper can answer. 

Bro who said it's a duplicate i just gave the guy a link to a thread where people are already talking about this.

Edited by UltraRareBoy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, soccerpl8er93 said:

The Official Playstation blog announced PSN Online ID Changes coming soon. How will this Affect the PSNProfiles Site? 

I doubt it's possible to know how it will affect the website before the changes goes live. I'm betting users will have to reassign their new ID to their old profile, at least the ones that chose not to show previous ID. We will have to wait to see how it goes.

5 hours ago, Divecomb said:

You should ask TrueAchieves how did they handle Xbox Gamertag change.

It's a different system. The problems Sony is talking about, and the fact that developers are going back into PS3 games to deal with this means Sony's system is extremely different. Xbox Live and Steam are just change your name, boom, done. No bugs, nothing.

Whatever Sony did, they really made it difficult.

23 minutes ago, Omar said:

Just letting y'all know I'm 726% changing my PSN ID when the feature is live, 15-year-old me thought nobody would see my PSN ID back when I created it as I was a major internet noob. That mistake will be UNDONE next year :lol: 

Those numbers give me the shivers :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Omar said:

Just letting y'all know I'm 726% changing my PSN ID when the feature is live, 15-year-old me thought nobody would see my PSN ID back when I created it as I was a major internet noob. That mistake will be UNDONE next year :lol: 

It's 15 years too late, the internet knows your name and date of birth now, and the internet never forget. ;) 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

If some stuf does not carry over then dear me, they won't be.... creating a fresh profile with your new name and then copying everything over... will they?

The sentence "Developers going back into PS3 games to deal with this" also gives me the shivers. What happens to games where devs can not be bothered, and might this be why Sony is in such a rush to kill the servers of its own PS3 games?

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

There is a simple explanation for the difficulty behind the Name change compared to Xbox. It's got everything to do with the UUID (Universally Unique Identifier).

When Microsoft created Xbox Live, they used a randomized alphanumeric number as an "identifier" so the system knows who is who... For example "00112233-4455-6677-8899-aabbccddeeff" which points to the Screen name "2Hawt4Fortnite". In turn, it meant that people could change their name to "PromiscuousFortnite" and all would be well because the system would still have the same UUID linking to the new Username.

Lacking in foresight when Sony created PSN, they decided to use peoples PSN name as the UUID. This means that their names are "hardwired" into Sony's PSN servers and changing a name is (by no means impossible) A LOT of work. This is why Sony have been reluctant to change Usernames.

In recent light of this "changing PSN names", I'm curious how this is going to affect not only PSNP but also PSN itself. It's all up in the air until we learn more from Sony.

Edited by Red_Dragon_JPN
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Red_Dragon_JPN said:

There is a simple explanation for the difficulty behind the Name change compared to Xbox. It's got everything to do with the UUID (Universally Unique Identifier).

When Microsoft created Xbox Live, they used a randomized alphanumeric number as an "identifier" so the system knows who is who... For example "00112233-4455-6677-8899-aabbccddeeff" which points to the Screen name "2Hawt4Fortnite". In turn, it meant that people could change their name to "PromiscuousFortnite" and all would be well because the system would still have the same UUID linking to the new Username.

Lacking in foresight when Sony created PSN, they decided to use peoples PSN name as the UUID. This means that their names are "hardwired" into Sony's PSN servers and changing a name is (by no means impossible) A LOT of work. This is why Sony have been reluctant to change Usernames.

In recent light of this "changing PSN names", I'm curious how this is going to affect not only PSNP but also PSN itself. It's all up in the air until we learn more from Sony.

PSN has UUIDs and account IDs. I really don't think Sony used the PSNID as the primary, it just seems that games were only given the PSNID and not any account ID. Now they've deprecated that in-game and provide an account ID, the issue is what they've described: "unsupported" games might think you're someone else or a new user during multiplayer.

They know PS3/Vita games won't be patched to support this so that's probably why they've waited so long. Any active PS4 game can be easily updated to support it.

• Like 4