How many DualShock 4 controllers have broken for you?

Quink666

Posted (edited)
On 10/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, Viper said:

None. I've had my PS4 since July 2015...I bought a Wave Blue controller at the same time. Both the Blue and Black controllers still work just fine...the batteries are practically shot though, they only last about 5 hours of continuously playing, and if I don't use one of those controllers for a couple weeks the battery starts dying on it's own. 

I bought the Crystal controller back in February, and that's the one i use the most. Looking to get another one (thinking Steel Grey or that new Orange one), so that I can just put the Black and Blue ones away. 

So figured I'd update this to say the answer 6 years later is still None. I got my PS4 Pro a few months after this post, which came with a black controller...so I have 4 DS4s (2 of the originals, Black and Wave Blue, and 2 that were updated with the lightbar showing through the touchpad, black and Crystal) and never had any issues with them outside of needing to replace the batteries. 

The PS4 Pro gets extremely light use today now that I have a PS5, but the controllers held up through their time before having a PS5, so I don't have any complaints. 

EDIT: Whoops, apparently this is my third post in this topic, my second was only back in September and I said basically the same thing lol. 

Edited by Viper

In my life, I've never had a controller break on me, besides the DS4.

I've had quite a few consoles, and played on them a lot.

I've had three DS4 controllers break

One just would not turn on, or charge (battery issue i'm guessing)

I bought a new one, it had drift out of the box

I returned it, the new one I got, had drift appear within a few weeks.

The controller than came with my console when I got it second hand, a 2013 model DS4, still working fine.

Posted (edited)

Zero since I got the console in November 2018. I have 4 of them in different colors. Same answer for other consoles as well.

In the pre DualShock era 2 of the original PlayStation controllers failed with the same issue. Under the d-pad (vierpuntsdruktoets in my language originally) one of the 4 pins broke, which caused the controller always to steer into that direction. I tried to fix it myself, but I couldn't find spare parts in my country. Internet was not so popular back than to order whatever you needed.

Btw, I'm waiting for the follow up of this topic with the actual broken controllers and/or whatever was in the surrounding caught on pictures and videos. 😆

Edited by ConAir
bonus stuff

All three of my DS4s still work perfectly, the one that I got bundled with the console in 2017 and the two that I bought in 2018. I feared that I broke one of them during a rage moment but luckily I was able to fix it easily.

I don't break controllers, I take care of them, and I don't ruin controllers in rage. I may smack my table though. One day it will probably collapse. 😂

I do ruin controllers though, but it's mostly the sticks. Takes me like a month or two, and then it starts drifting. Every time, every controller. Fix? I keep using them unless it messes up my experience, then I use a new one for that one game. Games needs to be optimized with dead zones for the sticks.

Won't say broken but I had one where the rubber of both analogs came out in less than a year, then one that came with my PS4 in which started drifting, currently on my third one until I get a PS5.

Lost count of how many I've gone through, easily double digits. I've never had a controller develop a fault other than the DS4, and I take care of them all. Everyone I know who's had a PS4 has had multiple of them due to either drift or the R2 loosing sensitivity. Those of you who haven't had one go faulty are extremely lucky. 

DS4 is the main thing that put me off a PS5, and then when I heard the Dualsense was even worse quality I lost all interest in PS5. 

• Like 1

I actually had a PS4 controller just die last summer. It was the one I brought with me on vacation alongside ps TV... Never experienced that before. Just wouldn't ever turn on again.

Luckily I had earned one trophy that day, in the night, right before it broke, as it was a Sunday and stores were closed. I tried to keep a trophy streak going. I saved it by buying a used controller that Monday. 😂 Rumor has it that streak is still going strong.

Not a single one broken or with drift. Even the DS3 are working. The only problem on my DS3 is that batteries died, so I have to had them plugged to play. The only controller broken was a fake DS3. All DS4 and DualSense working like a charm.

I am like on my 4th DS4 since 2016, so about 2 years per controller before it becomes an uselsess piece.

Mostly stick drift on L3 then all of the sudden R3, yes R2 not going 100%.

And as of recent my red retail DS4 either just disconnects, freezes or repeats one input again.

Steering in racing games becomes super annoying.

FPS is unplayable with a self moving L3 and wiggly R3.

Overall the DS4 controller quality was garbage for me (no i didnt smash or throw any controllers)

The DS3 on the other hand after 5 years just started to get a stick X-Button and nothing else!

Hope that the DualSense is not as garbage as the DS4