Xbox One features a non-removable HDD

Lady Lilith

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-uses-non-removable-hard-drive-supports-external-usb-st/

x130521xbonehdd.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IBEIuef

Microsoft senior director of product planning Albert Penello confirmed with Engadget that the upcoming Xbox One console will ship with 500GB of non-removable, non-replaceable integrated storage. He assures, however, that alternative storage solutions are available.

While users will be unable to service the Xbox One's internal hard drive or replace it with a larger-capacity device, Penello notes that external storage devices can be connected via one of the console's three included USB 3.0 ports. Connected USB devices will be capable of storing all content supported by the Xbox One's hard drive, including installed game data and downloaded software.

Wow, even more of a fail than I thought.  What happens when the hard drive craps out?

Edited by Sonic

Yeah they also said you cant remove the harddrive at all, to add more memory except through usb, and if you want to play your game, you can on the account you 1st play it on, if you want to play on another account, you have to pay FULL RETAIL to do so, its true, it some how links to your username. And they avoided the question about being online all the time, if they avoid it, you know its probably true, and they said the xbox wont work without the kinect hooked up to it. Talk about suicide, no wonder when the news broke sony stock rose 9.25% and microsoft stock dropped .36%

• Like 1

Lol. Really? Keeps getting better and better. I really wasn't surprised by any of this so called "reveal" kinda expected it to suck, but not this much lol. Was already getting the feeling for the past couple of years that they were going to make my decision on the next gen that much easier. 

They are really out of touch.

XBOX really seems to fail at the moment. The only interesting thing about that reveal was the Forza Trailer, that one looked actually pretty good.

I actually like Forza, but man, Drive Club looks soooooooooo good.

Edited by skateak

WOW! what an insult to injury

i watched angry joe rant on the Xbox " one! " and i couldn't believe what micro$oft is doing for their next gen, and now this?

w..what if my hard drive got filled or got broked?

hearing all of this just making the ps4 not compatible with digital and retail ps3 games seems not a big problem. 

Edited by yellowwindow7

Bet they did it to force your hand into getting a Gold Subscription for their cloud service. Then you could at least back-up your save data if you didn't have an external hard drive.

Personally I don't like it when I'm "forced" to do anything.  :S:blush:

How many AAA's?

7 AAA

4 AA

And there is an optional power source for people who don't want to run it on batteries, it is a slot in the back where you can slide in your credit card. For $29.99 per hour, you can run an Xbox One on money. truly revolutionary.

So Microsoft shot themselves in the foot ? I'm not too surprised or bothered by this, I guess I kind of expected it to stumble but not this much. Yikes, Microsoft has to re-evaluate this gaming thing.

Edited by BSAA_Operative
  • Like 1

And there is an optional power source for people who don't want to run it on batteries, it is a slot in the back where you can slide in your credit card. For $29.99 per hour, you can run an Xbox One on money. truly revolutionary.

I thought Xbox Gold was a monthly thing?

• Like 1