Captchas, Captchas and more Captchas

On 11/21/2018 at 3:47 PM, Sly Ripper said:

Is this a cloudflare one? I'm hoping that it'll learn not to for editing posts.

I tried editing a post and it sent me to the captcha, but after passing it the edits I had made were reset. Any further attempts to edit the post repeated the cycle meaning I was unable to make any changes.

Edited by Stevieboy

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 4:08 PM, Stevieboy said:

I tried editing a post and it sent me to the captcha, but after passing it the edits I had made were reset. Any further attempts to edit the post repeated the cycle meaning I was unable to make any changes.

Getting this trying to update my 'about me' part of my profile.  edit - Captcha - erased - goto1

Once I learned its use, I have been a big supporter of reCaptcha

reCAPTCHA is a CAPTCHA-like system designed to establish that a computer user is human (normally in order to protect websites from bots) and, at the same time, assist in the digitization of books. reCAPTCHA was originally developed by Luis von Ahn, David Abraham, Manuel Blum, Michael Crawford, Ben Maurer, Colin McMillen, and Edison Tan at Carnegie Mellon University's main Pittsburghcampus.[1] It was acquired by Google in September 2009.[2]

reCAPTCHA has completely digitized the archives of The New York Times and books from Google Books, as of 2011.[3] The archive can be searched from the New York Times Article Archive, where more than 13 million articles in total have been archived, dating from 1851 to the present day.[4] Through mass collaboration, reCAPTCHA was helping to digitize books that are too illegible to be scanned by computers, as well as translate books to different languages, as of 2015.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, visighost said:

Yeah, starting getting them on iOS - Safari, but no on Win10 Firefox...

Yes. Forgot to mention I’m on ios safari too.

Just now, kingdrake2 said:

it appeared again. not complaining it's a necessary thing to have i think.

Once in a while, sure. But not every time you visit the main page. If I use recaptcha, update my profile, and go back to main page it’s already back. I don’t think that’s how it’s supposed to work.

22 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Anybody else having issues with this again? Every time I visit the main page ReCaptcha is there again. It doesn’t matter if I verify my account. So annoying.

To my understanding, that appears on the main page when the updates get hit too many times too quickly. They started doing it after the site got a DDOS once. It helps prevent bots from bringing down the site...which is why I occasionally joke about the robots invading PSNP. Seems like they've really been wanting to grace us with their presence a lot lately.

Edited by Starman