Why do people hate this game so much?

Sicho

On 11/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, Happy said:

There is an excessive amount of video essays on Youtube as well as professionally written reviews of this game that raise multiple reasonable points as to why many people feel the game is lackluster. I’d suggest educating yourself by those means if you genuinely don’t understand the negative reception.

I agree with this. In fact, my hats off are off to those like SkillUp, who actually put the time into to the game to make an in-depth review. I have never subscribed to the idea to think one has to play a game to think it looks like trash or that it's not worth buying. Now, if someone was to make in-depth review while not investing enough time in the game like that Downward Thrust dude, that's a different story.

Personally, I think the days of developers throwing crap out there at full price hoping it sticks is reaching its crescendo.

14 hours ago, Sicho said:

tzzz, Todd isn't half as sexy as I am ?

some people prefer bad fucks over not fucking at all ?

(but these fucks aren't bad, they are sub optimal ? Since Fallout 76 is fun and all ?)

There's even a term for these bad Bethesda fucks. It's called 'bugchasing'.

11 hours ago, NekoRave said:

2 had a overall better humor/NPC options, like if you had zero intelligence you would use body language to speak and loud grunts (you'd actually be stupid) so in some aspects it was better, gameplay wise I enjoyed 3 the most despite the detail 2 had I loved playing 3 and continue to replay it versus an isotopic game.

Its not bad its just not a game that has aged well with modern audiences.

Only the hardcore fans of those style of games enjoy it.

I guess fallout 4 went backwards in the way of insert angry or sarcastic or stupid choice versus more dialog options.

At the end of the day none of the extra dialog choices would have made 4 magically better

Its in no way a bad game, it just can't please everybody's expectations.

One of the reason Gabe won't ever make another half-life game.... And if scores continue to tank for Fallout maybe no more of that either

Ah I see, interesting.

Not too many games age well. Still might play it one day since I own it.

Lol yeah, be a bit odd if dialogue options made the game beloved by all.

Very true.

5 hours ago, Sicho said:

Fallout 4 was so much better than Fallout 3 IMO!

You could see what was in containers before opening them -> biggest gameplay improvement in the series since it went 3D! It's such a big quality of life thing that I refuse to play Skyrim on my PC without a mod that enables the same feature! (and I hate it that Skyrim VR doesn't have it :( )

The world was MUCH better than Fallout 3. Many more interesting locations, the layout was better, the atmosphere and the grpahics (colors!!!). Then you could build bases... OMG, how many hours I poured into that! I build an amazing Power Armor "Garage" that looked like straight out of Ironman :D Oh and don't get me started about the Power Armors, they way more fun and interesting in 4 than in 3!

Then the modding and customizing of armors and weapons: simple compared to other RPGs out there but it made exploring and collecting stuff matter so much more! Also I tend to "collect" weapons and armor in RPGs (in the Elder Scrolls games, I always stuff my houses full with collected items) so this made me play FO4 so much longer since I tried to have a lot of different variations of almost every weapon and armor available etc. And as I said before, I collected Power Armors and had them exhibited in my base :D

Reveal hidden contents

This was an early version :D

12310050_10153373742976379_7728591945865

VATS was way better in Fallout 4 than 3 as well. Then there were the companions: more interesting than in FO3 (especially Nick was awesome!), better features/functionalities and they had great quests of their own that netted you perks! Then, in FO4, you immediately had an endgame and could continue playing after the story without having to buy DLC ;)

I always hear people complain about the dialogue system etc. Maybe their criticisms are valid but for me, that's not the important thing about Fallout. I don't really care if I have three or five dialogue options, FOR ME the fun about Fallout (or the Elder Scrolls games for that matter) is exploring a HUGE world, finding cool stuff, collecting an insane amount of things and making your mark on that world. They will always be more "exploration" games for me than RPGs - even the old ones.

I personally prefer having more square kilometers on the map over more dialogue options. The story and the NPCs are just flavor for me, quests are sometimes even annoying and "get in the way", it's the houses, the ruins, the weird locations and the secrets and items they keep that are the thing that keep me going in these games.

And maybe that's also why I like Fallout 76 so much. It's a new world to explore. I couldn't care less that there aren't any "humans" to talk to or that the quests are a bit basic. I can build a base and have a huge world to scourge for items, building materials, weapons and Power Armor... good enough for me :)

EDIT: and a little P.S.: don't get me wrong, I also love RPGs where you can really deeply roleplay a character! But I personally think that open world and "open" roleplay don't necessarily are as good a match as deep roleplaying in a linear context. Because of the complexity of the world, you will always have to make compromises on the character development. IMO Witcher 3 was as good as it was because you couldn't play 700 different versions of Geralt. The world was prepared to react to what you did since there weren't a fuckton of choices, which made the world feel so much more organic and real.
The only way for me that huge worlds with deep roleplaying really work is in RPGs with a party, like Baldur's Gate II for example. But even in these games, your choices are fairly limited and the party members are normally predefined and have their attributes and attitude pre-set from the get go.
When you then look at RPGs that give you huge amounts of character freedom (take f.ex. Consortium or the Fable series or even to some extend the Dvinity games) then they are comparatively short games with way smaller worlds because having a character than can develop in a myriad of ways AND having a huge open world at the same time that reacts to all that is probably just very, very, very hard to do.

I definitely liked the fact Fallout 4 didn't give me severe headaches while playing it so it does have that over 3 for me. 3 will always be special because it was the first Fallout game I played plus Tranquility Lane lol.

The colour is definitely my favourite improvement in 4 (it stopped my headaches). Never really got heaps into the settlement building, it was cool having the option though. Yeah the Power Armour pretty much became loan extension of the player. Collecting weapons is almost a must in these games especially when you can customise them.

Nice Power Armour you've got there ?

Definitely agree with pretty much everything said you there, especially about being able to continue after finishing the story. Although Fawkes is still one of my favourite companions. 

Exploring is fun but I'm all about the story which adds a bit into why I'm skipping 76.

The Witcher 3 is in a class of its own, that game is as close to perfection as we can get.

Edited by Feral
iPad is an alcoholic bastard.

10 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Whose paying $60 for this game? The pre-order price was $45 on Amazon, and it's on sale for $40 now.

Doesn't every AAA game have microtransactions these days?

I will give you that it was a lot more stable before the 47gig patch. Before then I always had constant framerate, there was the occasional minor graphical glitch like an enemy would move around without being animated or wouldn't fall down when killed. Since the patch I've hit quite a few slowdowns in fights and a few crashes.

Despite this, I'm still having fun, and that's what matters to me. When I stop having fun, I'll stop playing.

It was full price, now It's like around 30-40 Dollars probably due to bad sales. You be suprised how many people are willing to pay that much money for a game.

18 hours ago, Feral said:

Never played 2. How did it go backwards? Only thing I didn't really like was the settlement building.

Alright with this better engine stuff, what do you want from them? 

All I want Is a Fallout game similar like Fallout 2 with a dark atmosphere, good story and characters,tons of amazing dialogue options,the dark humor and a upgraded engine with Fallout 4 gameplay Improved.

5 hours ago, Spider-Beyond said:

All I want Is a Fallout game similar like Fallout 2 with a dark atmosphere, good story and characters,tons of amazing dialogue options,the dark humor and a upgraded engine with Fallout 4 gameplay Improved.

The likelihood of that happening died the moment Interplay sold Fallout to Bethesda.

What is wrong with the current engine? Seriously I want to know, 

1 hour ago, Feral said:

The likelihood of that happening died the moment Interplay sold Fallout to Bethesda.

It's a modified version of the one morrowind, oblivion, fallout 3, fallout new Vegas, and skyrim all ran on, its horribly outdated when even fallout 4 looked old when it released. 

The engine itself isn't the problem, it's the developers who can't code very well.

List of games also running off netimmerse/gamebryo/creation

• Epic Mickey
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition
  • Rocksmith 2014
  • Civ IV
  • Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Zoo Tycoon 2
  • Wizard 101

10 hours ago, Feral said:

It's outdated and old.They should get some talented people who can do a much better job at modifying/upgrading the engine.CD Project Red used REDEngine 3 for Witcher 3:Wild Hunt and now Cyberpunk 2077 Is gonna use the upgraded REDEngine 4 which looks quite good.Bethesda Is living In the past and It's time for them to Upgrade ?.

45 minutes ago, Spider-Beyond said:

It's outdated and old.They should get some talented people who can do a much better job at modifying/upgrading the engine.CD Project Red used REDEngine 3 for Witcher 3:Wild Hunt and now Cyberpunk 2077 Is gonna use the upgraded REDEngine 4 which looks quite good.Bethesda Is living In the past and It's time for them to Upgrade 1f60f.png.

You're talking about graphical assets more than game engine functionality.
For example; none of CDPR's games need the same memory overhead that comes along with having high number of interactive objects that are all placeable in the world. The Witcher only kept track of what objects have been looted. If the object was a dead enemy then it would despawn eventually or if it was a static object like a barrel it would stay empty. The only persistent change a player could make is dropping items from inventory. Of course, regardless of what was dropped the only visable change would be a coin poach on the ground until the player picked up the contains. 

Bringing in new devs and a new engine might fix existing issues you have but it is far more likely to create issues porting current assests and code to the new engine. The process might even create new issues.  Eventually, a new project will be made using only the new engine but that means there will be issues associated that engine instead of the old engine or would you have us believe that there's a game engine free of bugs and performance problems? 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, wackt1 said:

Skyrim:

- Septims being found in Draugr crypts inside urns and on Draugr.

-these crypts predate the Septim Dynasty, and several in game remained untouched until the Dragonborn comes along.     

Those Draugr go out on the town sometimes, buddy, and you gots to have moolah! Stop trying to cockblock them!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 3:40 AM, Dr_Doge99 said:

You really dont though. I have it. Bought it for the trophies, not because i think its a good game.

That's his point, you aren't playing games because you think they are good. You're playing them to pad your plat count.

I love the Fallout series but felt this was going to be a dumpster fire based on what I read and saw. Sorry to see I was right but hopefully Bethesda learns from this.

Lol who am I kidding!?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I didn't really like Fallout 4 myself, but I liked Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, when they worked. I know nothing about earlier entries in the series.

How does this game compare to those three?

I honestly wouldn't bother not in the state it's currently in. I'm enjoying it for what it is but my enjoyment is lessening with each session. I quite enjoy the gameplay loop of finding locations, stripping them for supplies, heading to camp, crafting/cooking etc before heading back out but beyond that it's in a hell of a state.

I get a handful of crashes to xmb per session and I'm only playing a couple of hours at a time. Quests are few and far between and just straight up broken in a lot of instances. Never mind not being able to interact with quest items, the quests themselves disappear when you log out and I'm not just talking about the repeatable events or daily quests, actual side missions have gone missing from my log and they don't come back even if I repeat the actions that got me them in the first place. 

The no NPC thing is totally weird as well. If you can keep a quest in your log long enough to actually do it every quest starts or ends with a body or a robot. I get that they're going for "you're pioneers from the first vault!" but there is evidence everywhere of people living out there. I don't care where the story is going, there is no plausible reason I see that every single human is dead.

As for the MP aspect of it? It's kinda insignificant. Unless you have real life buddies I don't see anybody playing this in groups. You see anyone nearby you both look at each other both hoping the other isn't gonna shoot at you then you walk off.

Take new Vegas on hardcore mode with settlement building from 4. Strip out the story and characters and bung in a largely pointless MP and you've got 76

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 4:23 AM, Dr_Doge99 said:

Alright, im gonna have to stop you right there. Not liking Final fantasy 7? Sorry pal, but i got a grave here for you.

VII may be the most popular and well known entry in the series but it certainly isn't the best.

And Fallout 76 is pretty much the culmination of Bethesda's lack of care of the Fallout franchise beyond it's ability to make money. No care for the story and lore Black Isle established and they even contradict the things they themselves have established. Obsidian still has the best Fallout game out there and that's sad

Edited by majob

Just now, majob said:

VII may be the most popular and well known entry in the series but it certainly isn't the best.

While I agree with the assessment that VII isn't the best, that's clearly opinion. There's nothing "certain" about it. But anyway, getting back on track:

2 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Take new Vegas on hardcore mode with settlement building from 4. Strip out the story and characters and bung in a largely pointless MP and you've got 76

Yikes. Hardcore mode was the single biggest annoyance with NV. Settlement building was OK, but dry. I think I'll pass on this one. I like your use of the word "bung" here; more people need to use that word.

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

While I agree with the assessment that VII isn't the best, that's clearly opinion. There's nothing "certain" about it. 

That actually does make it certain. There's no general consensus that VII is the best entry in the series and its flaws are well known. That fact makes it a certainty as to why it's not the best entry and besides I wasn't trying to pass my opinion off as fact, just stating that it may be hard for some to believe but there are those like ourselves that don't put VII on a pedastal.

That aside, hardcore mode wasn't too bad in NV, though I never finished a run. But the the base building in 4 was pure cancer in my opinion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

You're talking about graphical assets more than game engine functionality.
For example; none of CDPR's games need the same memory overhead that comes along with having high number of interactive objects that are all placeable in the world. The Witcher only kept track of what objects have been looted. If the object was a dead enemy then it would despawn eventually or if it was a static object like a barrel it would stay empty. The only persistent change a player could make is dropping items from inventory. Of course, regardless of what was dropped the only visable change would be a coin poach on the ground until the player picked up the contains. 

Bringing in new devs and a new engine might fix existing issues you have but it is far more likely to create issues porting current assests and code to the new engine. The process might even create new issues.  Eventually, a new project will be made using only the new engine but that means there will be issues associated that engine instead of the old engine or would you have us believe that there's a game engine free of bugs and performance problems? 

I just want them to take the time to look at the problems/Issues and fix them.They been using the same engine far too long and many of the Issues from Skyrim and Fallout are still there. Yes I expect there to be problems with a new engine,but that's the only option they got now. They have no choice now thanks to Fallout 76.

8 minutes ago, Spider-Beyond said:

I just want them to take the time to look at the problems/Issues and fix them.They been using the same engine far too long and many of the Issues from Skyrim and Fallout are still there. Yes I expect there to be problems with a new engine,but that's the only option they got now. They have no choice now thanks to Fallout 76.

You said that you wanted Fallout 2 and new, better people making the engine.

They have been using the same engine just as along as anyone the uses Unreal and the ID engine have been going. These game engines are not akin to a pair of socks. They get updated, edited, and redesign. Their current engine has been redesigned so much that they decided to give it a new name.

I miss the time when people would constantly blame netcode for online issues. The issues in FO76 can't be all attributed to the game engine. As such, can't be fixed my simply changing engines.

• Like 1

On 19.11.2018 at 6:21 PM, Gommes_ said:

This is unfair. All the bugs are from the beta, so that doesn't really count.

Btw I loved Fallout 3 but part 4 already didn't do it for me so I will avoid 76. Such a shame to see this franchise in such a poor condition. But well, at least it's entertaining to watch.

The game in it's state after release wasn't so much different from Beta xd.