When will ps3 servers shut down?

hreichard1

I just ordered a ps3 and am wondering how much longer psn servers will last on ps3. I used to have a ps3 and was on a different account but I sold it. And now I’m earning trophies and ordered a ps3 and am wondering how long I got to earn trophies on ps3 before servers shutdown I have used ps now but that was streaming. 

Is it me, or do we have this thread every 3 months? 

To answer your question, probably not anytime soon. Servers for individual games will keep going down, but PSN as a whole will stay for the foreseeable future. No one knows if or when they will actually go down, so can we please stop asking or speculating? Sony will give plenty of notice anyways if it were to happen. It's not like they will just hit the unplug button.

26 minutes ago, TENCHU_REPPA said:

Never!

I'm just kidding, but back on topic I think there are still some ps2 servers still up??? 

Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is true then it is going to be along time until ps3 servers start to shutdown on a grand scale.....quite awhile 

Google says 2016, but you can still LAN games and create private servers. Still, that's 16 years! PS3 has been out for only 12.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Is it me, or do we have this thread every 3 months? 

To answer your question, probably not anytime soon. Servers for individual games will keep going down, but PSN as a whole will stay for the foreseeable future. No one knows if or when they will actually go down, so can we please stop asking or speculating? Sony will give plenty of notice anyways if it were to happen. It's not like they will just hit the unplug button.

I believe they fear the rumors online about preferring physical over digital because blah blah digital games are not forever blah blah...if they shut it down they'll lose access to them blah blah... you get the idea.

Edited by Negative Flash
  • Like 1

You bought the PS3 quite late, but better late than never.

I will say I feel no sympathy for people who wait until the last minute to get the online trophies for a certain game before the servers shut down, and then bitch that they didn't have enough time to get them. Or they bitch that the game was too difficult and time consuming.

Then there are the idiots who try to open up private online servers just to get a select minority to get the online trophies. Unreal Tournament 3 is a good example, I think people were also trying to open up servers for Demon's Souls just so people can trade items with one another.

If you took too long to get online trophies in say Warhawk, that's your fault. Doesn't matter what game it is, unless the trophies are glitched or the company who owned the game shut down the servers without any warning. Those situations I can see the bitching being logical and justified.

Half the time I see someone post a thread on these forums saying this game is going to have it's servers shut, a bunch of guys come on here bitching and moaning that the trophies take too long, the game is too hard, or there's too many people flooding the servers. Killzone 2 is one such game. Why did you guys wait several years before you decided to go for Valor Grand Cross?

Then of course there are people who just jump at a game for the sake of getting the online trophies done, regardless of how grand or shitty the game is and move on to the next game that may have unobtainable online trophies. Just for the sake of getting those games done in say, 5 to 10 years because they can't be bothered to finish the damn game themselves and leave a bunch of uncompleted titles on their trophy profiles.

Demons souls is more for playing with friends I think. It's not that important and even more so it's kind of irrelevant since it's a console that was hacked years ago so the trophies in my mind are nothing more then personal achievements. Shutting down psn for Ps3 is a very different thing, specially for those of us that game online more then most.

• 9 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 11:41 AM, lildunkin342 said:

I feel like the ps3 servers are going to stay up until Sony releases a new console. At that point the number of players online for the PS3 will be minimal and they'll have no reason to keep them open any longer.

But it's likely they can't shut down PS3 servers without also taking down the PS4 servers too, since both consoles run off the same network. So unless Sony also want to take down the PS4 online, I think they have plenty reason to keep them open for years to come. 

Let this worry drive you to complete all your games and earn missing trophies before servers are announced or shut down unexpectedly. That’s what I did and feel good about doing so. You can too. I just don’t want you to have any regrets.

• Like 1