A question about The Last Of Us releasing date?

Syphon_Filter

Not every game, skyrim came out in the US on a Friday, I don't know why, maybe it means nothing, maybe they wanted to wait until after E3 to give more hype to the game, or maybe they wanted it to release worldwide on the same day so everybody can enjoy it at the same time, I feel the whole America gets it on tuesday, UK gets it on friday to be kind of stupid, just release it worldwide, it's better for everyone.

Not every game, skyrim came out in the US on a Friday, I don't know why, maybe it means nothing, maybe they wanted to wait until after E3 to give more hype to the game, or maybe they wanted it to release worldwide on the same day so everybody can enjoy it at the same time, I feel the whole America gets it on tuesday, UK gets it on friday to be kind of stupid, just release it worldwide, it's better for everyone.

The Last of Us is shown ad E3.

Skyrim was a publish-ti stunt, since 11/11/11

Is a game being released on a Friday really that big a mind-fuck? It makes perfect sense business sense; it's before a weekend and a big budget game gets released on a day without any competition. Hence, it's more likely to stand out and begin recouping its production costs. 

maybe they understand people work and they would like for us to enjoy the game on the weekend. it makes sense. If the good majority of people get to play it basically right away and play a lot of it. there will be more reviews by the average joe sooner than tuesday, where lots of people would wait until later on in the week to really get into the game.

• Like 1

I've never really understood why games release on Tuesdays here but releasing on a Friday doesn't really mater to me. I won't get the game on the release day, I don't think, because I had to order the Post-Pandemic Edition from GameStop.com and I can't imagine I'll have it on the release day.

Parker

In Europe games always get the release on Friday (unlike US).

Yop - Mostly 3 days after you guys get your copies.

I don't think it's because of the E3 or weekend-reason,

I think TLOU just thought "Hey. Let's make A REAL worldwide release."

anyway - most ppl will be able to get the copies earlier regardless of friday or tuesday. :o

No idea, but Im curious if humans play games more on weekends or weekdays and which day. wish there was a way to find out on PSNprofiles.

I'd venture to say weekends as most people probably have weekends off work and kids don't have school but I do think it would be cool if we could see the statistics for everyone tracked on this site as a whole.

Parker

In Europe games always get the release on Friday (unlike US).

Yop - Mostly 3 days after you guys get your copies.

I don't think it's because of the E3 or weekend-reason,

I think TLOU just thought "Hey. Let's make A REAL worldwide release."

anyway - most ppl will be able to get the copies earlier regardless of friday or tuesday. :o

Wedensday normally.

UK is always Friday unless special event

I was told by someone in the entertainment industry, that (at least where the US in concerned) games, DVD/BluRay releases, etc. are released on a Tuesday so as not to interfere with weekend movie sales, especially "opening-weekend" movie sales.

As for the Friday release reason of Last Of Us, the most common answer I hear (from the people I've asked that are in some way involved in the gaming industry) is the "E3" reason, which consisted of both: "pre-sales promotion at E3" (due to it's major influence);  &  "to prevent <same-day> interference with sales by E3" (since opening day/weekend sales are so strongly looked at by financial assesments). Again, every answer I received was speculation or rumors only, so no one I spoke w/ had confirmed any of this. The reasons seem plausable though.

Either way I don't care, all  know is.. it's around the corner, I'm not working next weekend, & come Thurs-night/Fri-morning (midnight release) I'll be feeding my PS3 a new copy of Last Of Us

I'd venture to say weekends as most people probably have weekends off work and kids don't have school but I do think it would be cool if we could see the statistics for everyone tracked on this site as a whole.

The few studies/statistics I've seen on this (been too long to remember the source for this into) was that most people tend to 'go out' on their weekends off & "stay in" on their work/school nights, & hence games played (& videos watched) were predominantly being done on weekdays. There's always the 'exception' of course, though it makes sense, even looking at my own trophy statistics I see most are obtained weekdays,

I love the UK way of releasing on Friday. It means I can enjoy the game all I like over the weekend. But I hate it when America get it 3 days before us. I think worldwide release day should be Friday for all games.

• 2 weeks later...