Bungie Splits from Activision

Splathew

Well color me intrigued. Haven't played much of either Destiny games, but I like their concept and what little lore there is could definitely turn out to be somewhat engaging if developed properly. What I didn't like was their shitty business practices and near scam-like DLC, like expecting people to be happy to pay twice for the game, anyone remember that?

Destiny is a series I've wanted to enjoy, but couldn't, due to how the they treat their customers. I don't think Activision is solely to blame for this, but it's pretty obvious where the main pressure to milk cash came from. I really hope Bungie will deliver on their next, (possibly) self-published installment of the series. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 2

This is incredible. 

I can't imagine the back room discussions that must have gone on. Really this needed to happen though. The fact people like myself & thousands of others that played literally thousands of hours of Destiny 1 weren't compelled to play 2 says a lot. I have whole crews of hardcore Destiny players who just dropped it. You don't see that with a lot of games, usually the hardcore stays the hardcore. 

Anyhow the most interesting part is, Destiny 2 sales have obviously been soft VS costs to make & run the game. Can Bungie afford to run this franchise itself? Who would they get into bed with after this disaster? They surely wouldn't go first party exclusive again, I don't think they left Xbox on great terms either. Maybe Playstation swings it's big dick & buys them that would be a dream come true for me & so funny considering their origins. You'd have to think it'll be more like a Bethesda though. A publisher with a lot of money & a pretty long leash. 

Can't wait to see what happens. 

Odds are Activsion simply chose to wash their hands of Bungie considering their original contract was for three Destiny games over ten years. D2 has been bleeding money from the get go and Activision probably decided to cut their losses. Supposedly Bungie  has something of a partnership with  Tencent so they'll be getting money from someone for the time being.

Edited by majob

1 hour ago, majob said:

Odds are Activsion simply chose to wash their hands of Bungie considering their original contract was for three Destiny games over ten years. D2 has been bleeding money from the get go and Activision probably decided to cut their losses. Supposedly Bungie  has something of a partnership with  Tencent so they'll be getting money from someone for the time being.

How does one just get moneh from Tencent? 

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Hopefully Bungie will be able to get back to making good games now. I'm hoping that Activision was the one that was making terrible decisions and getting them to release incomplete games and sell the rest later as DLC.

What games aside from Destiny published by Activision are incomplete?  I cant think of any games that are rendered unplayable once a DLC is available, no folks, this mess is all bungies doing.  Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sales have declined, playerbase has dropped Activision didnt want to hemorrhage any more money into a stale franchise so they cut their losses and said you aint gotta go home but you gotta get the fuck outta here

• Like 2

Don’t care won’t care. 

Some people wonder why I bitch about modern day AAA games and why I refuse to buy a number of them. 

This is one of the reasons why. 

These companies need to stop changing shit around for their multiplayer games. 

Then again the publisher has a group of 30 - 50+ year old business executives in fancy black suits and dresses who only care about the profits. Make a game to please your investors above pleasing your fanbase and player base usually comes up eventually. 

At this rate our world of capitalism and plutocracy is going to collapse within 10 - 20 years. That is if companies like Activision will still exist.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Then again the publisher has a group of 30 - 50+ year old business executives in fancy black suits and dresses who only care about the profits. Make a game to please your investors above pleasing your fanbase and player base usually comes up eventually. 

While I agree with you completely, could you point out a publisher that thinks differently?  Indie developers who self publish aren't much different, they just don't have the resources to think this way yet. They are too busy just trying to stay afloat.

27 minutes ago, Zach said:

Fuck Activision.

Much of what went wrong with Destiny was Bungie's own doing. Activision just gave them enough rope to hang themselves

4 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

While I agree with you completely, could you point out a publisher that thinks differently?  Indie developers who self publish aren't much different, they just don't have the resources to think this way yet. They are too busy just trying to stay afloat.

Unless that company is a communist co-op, odds are they're going to be concerned with profits and even communists need to pay rent at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevvik said:

I’m not singling out the big guys from the small guys. Publishers are typically people who went to college and university to earn their business and marketing degrees. They know very little about how a game is developed, much less think up of ways to innovate and expand beyond a standard norm. 

That’s why I hate how a lot of companies in this day and age turn over to their publishers and/or higher up executives a lot of times for advice on something that should be done. 

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I’m not singling out the big guys from the small guys. Publishers are typically people who went to college and university to earn their business and marketing degrees. They know very little about how a game is developed, much less think up of ways to innovate and expand beyond a standard norm. 

That’s why I hate how a lot of companies in this day and age turn over to their publishers and/or higher up executives a lot of times for advice on something that should be done. 

A publisher's job is to promote and sell a product, not create it, they don't have much of a reason to care about the in's and outs of a product beyond how to market it. This fact hasn't changed over the course of decades.

3 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

speaking of Blizzard. with the money issues they are having and such, makes you wonder how much longer Overwatch can get milked before they kill it

WoW  still rakes in billions somehow, Blizzard may be in a funk now but they won't be doing anything drastic yet