I Want Mass Effect 1-2-3 Remastered to PS4 !

7 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

THQ Nordic picked up the license to Kingdoms of Amalur and I hope they put out sequels but a remaster first would be more likely.

I've heard it is forbidden for them to touch the first game in any way, i.e. remaster/republish it (THQ Nordic usually means DRM-free version on GOG, on PC)

Edited by Lance_87

7 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Except no console is backwards compatible this gen. They all have a selective emulation program going on where certain games are added. MS does a little more by touching up their selected games and having disc support.

Even with that kind of BC it doesn't stop us getting remasters of Bioshock, Borderlands, Burnout, Symphony of the Night, and Catherine.

THQ Nordic picked up the license to Kingdoms of Amalur and I hope they put out sequels but a remaster first would be more likely.

The kind if BC you're seeing /is/ a gimmick this generation.

First off, the Wii U is.

Second, it can be defined in any number of ways, but backward compatibility traditionally means putting your old thing into your new thing, and it works. By that standard, Xbox has limited, but ever growing, backward compatibility, if through emulation. PlayStation has no backward compatibility in that sense, since PS1 discs don't work, PS2 discs don't work, PS3 discs don't work, and no PS1 / PS2 classics digitally purchased can transfer to PS4.

Remasters are great. They highlight how much people really like some of their older games. If we had true backward compatibility, we wouldn't need anywhere near as many of these remasters, as a majority of them are just upscaled / upres'd versions of the originals, which you can get perfectly fine 9/10 times by playing the games through emulation and upscaling them there, as the Xbox currently does.

I keep hearing good things about Amalur, I think it's back compat now, I should check it out sometime. 

Gimmick - "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade", AKA pretty well every consumer product ever released ever. Remote Play was a gimmick that died out, PS VR is currently not much more than a gimmick with no real killer app... Back compat has a much brighter future than either of Sony's gimmicks, and it doesn't require me to spend a few hundred on a new device to take the chance on it either. 

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First off, the Wii U is.

Second, it can be defined in any number of ways, but backward compatibility traditionally means putting your old thing into your new thing, and it works. By that standard, Xbox has limited, but ever growing, backward compatibility, if through emulation. PlayStation has no backward compatibility in that sense, since PS1 discs don't work, PS2 discs don't work, PS3 discs don't work, and no PS1 / PS2 classics digitally purchased can transfer to PS4.

Remasters are great. They highlight how much people really like some of their older games. If we had true backward compatibility, we wouldn't need anywhere near as many of these remasters, as a majority of them are just upscaled / upres'd versions of the originals, which you can get perfectly fine 9/10 times by playing the games through emulation and upscaling them there, as the Xbox currently does.

I keep hearing good things about Amalur, I think it's back compat now, I should check it out sometime. 

Gimmick - "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade", AKA pretty well every consumer product ever released ever. Remote Play was a gimmick that died out, PS VR is currently not much more than a gimmick with no real killer app... Back compat has a much brighter future than either of Sony's gimmicks, and it doesn't require me to spend a few hundred on a new device to take the chance on it either. 

Even though the game's master is better, it allows the developer to earn money so that we can have more fun. I am willing to pay for remasters. backward compatibility does not give developers incentives.

Unpopular opinion on the way :

Mass effect 1-2-3 didn't aged well AT ALL.

I've started to play the series with Andromeda and ... I liked it enough to plat it. Gameplay was fun and you could customise your type of gameplay as you want. Story wise... It was OK at best.

Then this year..

I played Mass Effect 1-2-3 for the first time... 

Story wise, it was FANTASTIC !!

Gameplay wise , it was crap. 

All this to say that yes indeed, that series needs a rebuild from the ground up to modernize the gameplay and let newer generations of players experience the amazing story.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First off, the Wii U is.

Second, it can be defined in any number of ways, but backward compatibility traditionally means putting your old thing into your new thing, and it works. By that standard, Xbox has limited, but ever growing, backward compatibility, if through emulation. PlayStation has no backward compatibility in that sense, since PS1 discs don't work, PS2 discs don't work, PS3 discs don't work.

PS4's architecture makes it next to impossible for it to play PS3 games since it doesn't have CELL. It also doesn't have a CD drive so it can't read PS1 discs either though they still could have included emulation for that and PS2 and transferred PSN digital purchases for both as well. Here's hoping PS5 doesn't make that mistake

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First off, the Wii U is.

The Wii U was a failed console from this generation. The Switch is a successful console from this generation. Both were made by Nintendo.

The BC offered from the current machines of MS and Nintendo allow for software emulation while just the Xbox also adds the ability to play from physical media. Neither is full BC as the games they can access only occur after they add them to the list.

The partial BC offered by MS was just a bandaid for the Xbox One's lackluster release and patched in after the fact despite MS keeping the architecture of the Xbox One inline with previous Xboxs. In order to bring attention to their unwanted hardware they made some 4K BC games for the strongest console. A great marketing trick(gimmick) to kinda appear relevant.  

12 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

As far as I know THQ Nordic only acquired the trademark but not the distribution rights for the existing game, which makes a remake impossible.

I love the Mass Effect series...I'm even an advocate of Andromeda, and I have always felt shame for the way gamers acted towards it for some damn graphics. But I wouldn't purchase a remaster. 

Mass Effect 2 still stands as my most difficult Platinum, and I don't mean that in a good way. I had a nightmare of a time achieving it, it was one of my worst gaming experiences I've had since I've become a trophy hunter...and I never want to go through that again. For a game most people consider the best in the series, is my least favorite because I barely got to enjoy it, I was pissed off 95% of the time. There was literally a moment against the Collectors on Insanity where I ripped a small chunk of hair out of my head...it's the game that taught me what I DON'T want out of a game, that I prefer a more relaxing experience rather than something overly difficult. 

I do want a Mass Effect 4 though...hell I'd be happy with Andromeda 2 but the community ruined that ever happening. I know BioWare said the series isn't dead as it's too valuable to drop...but we probably wont see another one until after Dragon Age 4. I'm hoping Bethesda's Starfield delivers...because we just don't have enough Sci-Fi RPG's out there, developer's always seem to go the route of Tolkien Fantasy...which is fine in it's own right, but ME definitely showed me I prefer the more futuristic approach. 

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

I love the Mass Effect series...I'm even an advocate of Andromeda, and I have always felt shame for the way gamers acted towards it for some damn graphics.

Way to go misrepresenting peoples criticism of Andromeda... The graphics are the least of that game's problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Way to go misrepresenting peoples criticism of Andromeda... The graphics are the least of that game's problems.

Yeah the combat was a hot mess, story was a copy paste of the original trilogy, characters were bland, and it was still a buggy mess in spite of all the patches. The graphics were near the bottom of the list in terms of issues. Still enjoyed it though

• Like 1

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

I'm not misinterpreting anything...it's all people bitched about. "wahhh the facial expressions are bad" "the eyes look lifeless"...sure you had your usual detractors out there complaining about gameplay or story like you do with every game...but Andromeda's flak came from people moaning about some facial expressions so much that EA shut down the studio. Were they bad? Sure...but also unimportant in the long run. Everything else about the game was fantastic.

Just now, Viper said:

I'm not misinterpreting anything...it's all people bitched about. "wahhh the facial expressions are bad" "the eyes look lifeless"...sure you had your usual detractors out there complaining about gameplay or story like you do with every game...but Andromeda's flak came from people moaning about some facial expressions so much that EA shut down the studio. Were they bad? Sure...but also unimportant in the long run. Everything else about the game was fantastic.

Nah, the god-awful facial expressions were just funny to meme, so that's why it was so prevalent around its launch. It's easier to point out how bad they looked rather than go into detail about the issues with the writing, gameplay, and story, of which there were many. To say the facial expressions were the only thing people took issue with is just flat out wrong. You're entitled to like the game as much as you want, but I find it very hard to take you seriously when you say "everything else about the game was fantastic". It's okay to like a game while at the same time admitting it has problems much like @majob did.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Nah, the god-awful facial expressions were just funny to meme, so that's why it was so prevalent around its launch. It's easier to point out how bad they looked rather than go into detail about the issues with the writing, gameplay, and story, of which there were many. To say the facial expressions were the only thing people took issue with is just flat out wrong. You're entitled to like the game as much as you want, but I find it very hard to take you seriously when you say "everything else about the game was fantastic". It's okay to like a game while at the same time admitting it has problems much like @majob did.

Look, I'm not going to argue about this. All it's going to do is have us going around in circles with you saying I didn't pay attention and me trying to prove that I apparently paid more attention than you did. I know what I saw around the entire internet...I wouldn't have felt so much shame towards the gaming community if it was just your usual complaints. I felt shame because of how ridiculous the core complaint was (Notice: CORE complaint, I never said ONLY). Now, if you're taking some kind of offense to what I said, because in your mind you feel like you had more logical complaints..then great, good for you...you weren't one of the many many many asshats out there who's sole complaint was over some goddamn graphics. 

As for everything else you said...don't take me seriously, I don't really care. I'm not going to admit something I didn't experience...just because you feel the way you did about the game, doesn't mean everyone has to. I enjoyed the gameplay, the writing was perfectly fine, and considering it was originally supposed to be a trilogy, the story for the supposed first game was perfectly fine for me, it was pretty much the story I was expecting. 

Maybe 2 and 3 (but with no multiplayer), but Mass Effect 1 has not aged well at all. Mainly because of it control scheme and some game play elements. 

Mass Effect is one of those series that has a great concept, with generally good execution. Just remember, the biggest problem has always been, that it is publish by EA, the worst video game company of all.

Edited by Pershing24

35 minutes ago, Pershing24 said:

Maybe 2 and 3 (but with no multiplayer), but Mass Effect 1 has not aged well at all. Mainly because of it control scheme and some game play elements. 

Mass Effect is one of those series that has a great concept, with generally good execution. Just remember, the biggest problem has always been, that it is publish by EA, the worst video game company of all.

ME1 was the most RPG of the 3 games and the easiest for me to go back to year after year. I have almost a dozen characters but no reason to bother importing them into 2 and 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pershing24 said:

The control scheme was pretty fine to me seeing as how the game is still a cover based TPS even if a bit stiff. I certainly missed the level of customization it had over 2 and 3 and weapon variety

8 hours ago, cmdr_komo said:

Even though the game's master is better, it allows the developer to earn money so that we can have more fun. I am willing to pay for remasters. backward compatibility does not give developers incentives.

Good. They shouldn't be incentivised to keep releasing the same game over and over. BC should be baked into the system out the gate for every game, then you don't have people holding out from allowing their old game to join BC because they wanna do a quick cash grab and re-release it themselves.

7 hours ago, majob said:

PS4's architecture makes it next to impossible for it to play PS3 games since it doesn't have CELL. It also doesn't have a CD drive so it can't read PS1 discs either though they still could have included emulation for that and PS2 and transferred PSN digital purchases for both as well. Here's hoping PS5 doesn't make that mistake

If PS5 doesn't have significantly more BC than PS4, not only will I be waiting on a sale before buying it (I'll be day one Xboning, assuming it keeps it's BC stride going), I probably just won't buy it at all, unless Spider-Man 2 does end up being exclusive.

6 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

The Wii U was a failed console from this generation. The Switch is a successful console from this generation. Both were made by Nintendo.

The BC offered from the current machines of MS and Nintendo allow for software emulation while just the Xbox also adds the ability to play from physical media. Neither is full BC as the games they can access only occur after they add them to the list.

The partial BC offered by MS was just a bandaid for the Xbox One's lackluster release and patched in after the fact despite MS keeping the architecture of the Xbox One inline with previous Xboxs. In order to bring attention to their unwanted hardware they made some 4K BC games for the strongest console. A great marketing trick(gimmick) to kinda appear relevant.  

I want to put out counter points, but really you're absolutely right. I think we could both spin our angles endlessly with no clear victor. I miss shoving in my old discs and just playing. Even the 360 wasn't too bad with it's stack of OG games, it was like a 2MB patch and you're good. Each 360 game on Xbox One has minimum half a gig or so (presumably, the emulator wrapper) added to it's total size, stuff like Ms. Pac-Man is 20 odd MB on 360, same downlaod through BC is around 570 or so. Sucks for the smaller games in particular.