A rant on selfish, self absorbed vegans...

AJ_Radio

The fact of the matter is, our natural resources are getting depleted, whether you're vegans or not.

Millions of barrels of oil are burned everyday, we release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, we use more power and electricity than we ever did in the past, we eat more meat and vegetables than our ancestors did, the list goes on and on.

Even if most of us were to go vegan tomorrow and start following a strict, specific diet, that still isn't going to change how our environment is getting warmer due to our presence. Many animals and natural habitats have died out and are gone forever because of the modern conveniences we use on a daily basis.

The big concern and my main worry is, people couldn't give two shits about where our environment is heading.

As much as certain vegans like to boast and praise that they are helping save the environment by eliminating meat from their diet and trying to become more environmentally aware, they couldn't be more delusional.

Sadly it's going to fall to us, my generation, the millennials to slow this trend or at the very least come up with alternate ways of using resources, including the usage of more environmentally friendly vehicles. If you think it's bad today, just wait until your kids become young adults.

My parents and my grandparents never had to deal with this problem. Resources were a lot more abundant back then, as well as a lot less people inhabiting the Earth.

I understand the perspective of a lot of vegans out there. But you're not saving the environment like you say you are.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Vegans, all the proselytising you do will fall on deaf ears. You will never establish your meat-free utopia, as we're descendants of a species which first cooked meat a couple of millions of years ago. That's an anthropological fact. Any meat-free eaters who challenge the facts will be rightly ridiculed. 

However, what would serve their goal is if they encourage non-vegans to reduce their saturated fat intake. That would really help their cause to reduce animal suffering.

And let's be honest here: Compared to East Asian countries, our diet is shit. We consume too much protein and fat and do very little exercise, which causes most of us to be fat. I, personally, don't sit at home all day playing video games and eat shit. I cut down my fat intake and train when I can. Carbs are not the devil - the Japanese eat tons of white rice. I don't know of an obese person from Japan who got fat from eating rice and fruit. Do you? I don't.

This thread has taken a painful turn, because it's pulled a switcheroo. 

I can't stand self-absorbed vegans. I also can't stand self-absorbed omnivores. I can't stand self-absorbed atheists, but self-absorbed nuns are absolutely intolerable as well. The point was the modifier "self-absorbed". However, at some point, the thread seemed to turn to the (unproven, unprove-able, and ridiculous) insinuation that all vegans are self absorbed. Nothing could be further from the truth. Plenty of vegans interact freely with non-vegans, without proselytizing or the like.

As far as this new "environmental" strain of the thread, I'll just say that I find approximate morality preferable to no morality at all. Having come from a family that has a tendency to shit on the work that others try to do, claiming that it is ultimately futile, it's annoying to see people's serious work denigrated because it is "doomed to failure" or the like. No, vegans will not save the environment. But that doesn't mean that vegans can't contribute to solving a problem that is far greater than their efforts can considerably impact.

I recycle at my home. I vote in elections. I conserve water. And I fully realize that my efforts have, at best, epsilon impact. But that doesn't make the effort fruitless.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3

Biologically we have always been Omnivores, which is why people who choose not to eat meat need to get variations of the nutrition that you get in meat to be healthy. Some people in this thread seem to think that not eating meat is depriving yourself of certain nutrition permanently, but it's absolutely not the case. We live in an age where you can get supplements and non-meat products which give you the same benefits as beef, chicken, pork etc. Modern day food availability means you can actively choose to eat one thing over another and fill any gaps with supplements.

If we went far back enough to when we were living in forests and caves, we wouldn't have that choice - we'd need to hunt and eat meat, forage for vegetation and so on literally to survive. Having the choice nowadays is a pure luxury because we've evolved our way of life to enable us to do so. And it wouldn't matter, because we'd use literally every single part of the animal we killed to survive. Something which we don't do now at all in any significant way.

I respect everyone's choices to eat meat or not eat meat. But I think it's important that whatever you choose to incorporate into your diets and why, that we educate ourselves on the impact of what we consume. There is 100% such a thing as a responsible meat-eater. If you mindlessly shovel kilos of meat down your gullet a week without thinking about where the meat is sourced from, how much you actually need to exist as a human being and what impact it is having on the environment, then congratulations, you are the person that the extremist vegans are targetting. On the flipside - if you are a vegan who is reactionary and throws paint on meat advert signs or vandalizes property, then congrats, you are the person that meat eaters are targetting.

The point here is that meat eaters and non-meat eaters are all responsible for the environment, which is ultimately the thing that will suffer if people continue the way things are going. Perspective is the key.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 4

I don't really like vegans. And I know plenty of them. Some of them are hideous people that care about animals more than they care about people. 

I don't eat much meat myself and I love and care about animals and also feed stray cats but I don't stick my nose into someone else's business. 

I couldn't care less about what other people are  eating.