PlayStation 4 Hard Drive is Removable, Upgradable

Aranea Highwind

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-4-hard-drive-is-removable-upgradable

Additional details about the PlayStation 4 have begun to emerge following last night's announcements. In addition to be region-free, we've now learned that that the system's500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded. Sony Worldwide Studio Head, Shuhei Yoshida, confirmed the news via Twitter early this morning. The move gives the PS4 yet another advantage over the Xbox One, which makes the hard drive inaccessible to consumers.

• Like 2

I just read that myself. 

500GB is a great starting point but the option to upgrade the HDD will extend the life of your PS4. And save us from the hassle of having to delete stuff all the time because I believe it will fill up faster than expected. 

I wonder if it will use the same HDD as the PS3. If so I'll be ordering a 1TB HDD and putting it in PS4 before I boot it up so I shouldn't have to worry about HDD space for a good while. 

Parker

I've never updated a  hard drive... do you have to break the warranty seal in any to do so?

• Like 1

I've never updated a  hard drive... do you have to break the warranty seal in any to do so?

It has been a while since I've done it, but yes I do believe you have to break the warranty seal. I had actually forgotten that little tidbit of information so it looks like I won't upgrade the HDD until my warranty is up.  :lol:

Parker

• Like 2

It has been a while since I've done it, but yes I do believe you have to break the warranty seal. I had actually forgotten that little tidbit of information so it looks like I won't upgrade the HDD until my warranty is up.  :lol:

Parker

I cant remember on the Phat one, but on the Slim it dont break the warranty Seal. Cant say for the super slim though, doubt it.

If it's anything like the PS3 fat model, then no, I don't believe it will break the warranty seal, since you don't need to open the system to change the HDD, it has a different compartment that can be removed without opening the system.

Not sure about the PS4.

I wonder if it will use the same HDD as the PS3. If so I'll be ordering a 1TB HDD and putting it in PS4 before I boot it up so I shouldn't have to worry about HDD space for a good while. 

Parker

This. I love my 1tb drive in my ps3. Id upgrade right from the get go too

Just to clarify the PS3 is designed so the HDD is removable. Therefore you do not void the warranty by replacing it. 

Do your homework first though. Not all SATA 2.5 HDD work well with the system. Go to Newegg or amazon and look at the reviews to find which models are the your best options. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify the PS3 is designed so the HDD is removable. Therefore you do not void the warranty by replacing it. 

Do your homework first though. Not all SATA 2.5 HDD work well with the system. Go to Newegg or amazon and look at the reviews to find which models are the your best options. 

Thank you for the clarification, it is much appreciated. My mind is a little fuzzy from being up for well over 24 hours. I was forced to work a 16 hour shift at work yesterday (didn't get home until after 8 AM this morning) and had to catch up with all the PS4 information then go out and pre-order it so I'm running on fumes.  B)

Parker

• Like 1

This is definitely good news. My PS3 was originally 80gb, but I upgraded ages ago to 320gb. Good thing too because even that's almost full. Wonder how big PS4 compatible HDD's will get? 2TB? 4TB? :blink:

A replaced the 80GB in my fat ps3 about a year ago too. I waited for a great deal and got a 750GB for it.  :D

I'm guessing the PS4 HDD is an SATA II 2.5. SSD are still too expensive and given the size of the PS4 I doubt it's a 3.5. 

If it is a 2.5 then the current max seems to be 2TB. While the drives bigger than 1TB are still considered 2.5 they are thicker than normal, so they won't fit in a PS3. I have no idea if they'd work in the PS4.  

So thankful for having a removable HDD. Microsoft must had been on crack to choose not to. 500GB isnt even much, and with games getting more and more advance, we probably be looking at downloading games 16-20GB. Now if these next-gen is gonna be like a social networking system were probably gonna have lots and lots of stuff saved onto it. Its a very wise choice to make it exchangeable. Looking forward into shoving a TB HD into the PS4.

I just hope they do something better than that annoying caddy in the ps3.  That thing's screws were an absolute bitch to get out of the caddy, stripped screw hole on 2 of them had to use a drill press to split the screws to get it out of the caddy, I love my 750 HDD in my ps3 tho so it was worth it.  But man I will definitely be swapping out my HD at launch,  UC3 from plus is so damn big I can't imagine what some of these games' size will be.

I just hope they do something better than that annoying caddy in the ps3.  That thing's screws were an absolute bitch to get out of the caddy, stripped screw hole on 2 of them had to use a drill press to split the screws to get it out of the caddy, I love my 750 HDD in my ps3 tho so it was worth it.  But man I will definitely be swapping out my HD at launch,  UC3 from plus is so damn big I can't imagine what some of these games' size will be.

haha, yeah. even with the right tools. I manage to stripped the hole. :| srsly it doesnt need such a delicate screw...

No, it doesn't. All you need to do is remove one small screw from the bottom of the case to pop out the HDD bay.

The warranty seal is only broken if you remove the entire shell.

• Like 1