new PS3 update 4.84 - stuck at 99%

rockstarjazz

i want to try and fix my ps3. is it a good idea to take out the hard drive and format it?

i was thinking of extracting the hard disk, put it in a caddy, connect it to my pc by usb, format it fully (fat32), place it back in the ps3, get a usb stick ready with folders ps3 > update, pasting the latest update in there, connect to usb, switch on, and hopefully its a simple process of restoring it?

i dont care if i lose my saves, i just want to get it to work again. i have a 320gb slim model, cech-2503b

opinions?

i left my console and came back and noticed i was able to go into safe mode menu now.

but then, upon trying to restore the file system, it is now going through this - really, painfully slow. i mean 11% done in 4 hours. it might be awhile until my ps3 gets healthy again. i dont know what happened with the update.

@rockstarjazz (and anyone else with this issue) - I’ve just experienced exactly the same issue; downloaded the 4.84 update fine and then froze on 99% during the install. Never had any problems with installing updates before, and also using a 320gb slim. BUT I’ve just managed to fix it (without reformatting the HDD) and my PS3’s currently back up and running with 4.84 and with no data loss. This is what I did:

1. When the install stuck at 99% the first time, I left it overnight (about 8 hours) to make sure it wasn’t just being super slow. After getting up and seeing it was still at 99%, I switched the console off by holding the power button down for about 30secs (during the install process, just pressing the power button once will cause it to beep, but not switch the console off).

2. I attempted to start in safe mode (i.e. hold power button down for three beeps, let go, then hold again for four beeps), but when holding the power button down I got four beeps straight away, without getting the first three. The console turned on and went straight to the install screen, and started again from 0% until it hung again at 99%. This time, however, after sitting at 99% for a few mins, it gave me an error message and started a 60second timer. I let the timer run out, at which point the console restarted itself.

3. The console started back up again, same install screen, once again started from 0% until hanging at 99%. This time, after a few mins at 99% it gave me a different error message without the timer, instead advising me to switch the console off, unplug from the mains, and try again after waiting a few mins.

4. I ignored the error message and instead tried safe mode again. I switched the console off by pressing the power button once, which worked now. I then held the power button down and got the three beeps, let go, held again for the four beeps, and let go again. The console came back on, and although it went straight to the install screen again rather than the safe mode menu, this time the display settings had been reset (meaning the text was now larger as the PS3 was outputting in standard definition). The install started at 0% again but this time went all the way to 100%!

5. The console restarted itself, asked me if I wanted to return to HD output, and went to the XMB as normal with all data (games, saves, music, etc.) still intact.

I can’t be sure what exactly it was that did the trick, but all I know is my PS3’s now back up and running without having to remove or reformat the HDD or use a USB stick to install from. Hopefully this helps anyone else having the same trouble!

I was so afraid that something happened to my console when I read this thread. Fortunately, I updated and everything went fine. The installation went straight away from 90% to 100%. I am much more relieved right now.

Edited by Carol

This patch Dl'ed no problem. Upon downloading it, I synched my trophies- took about 2 hours. Earned some more PS3 trophies today, synched in maybe a minute. 

I've only been able to synch my trophies twice in the last 14 months (Once after trying for a couple hours, and once after I got a new hard drive)- so i'm really, really hoping this patch allows me to get trophies on my PS3 again- I miss getting trophies on le PS3 :(

11 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

This patch Dl'ed no problem. Upon downloading it, I synched my trophies- took about 2 hours. Earned some more PS3 trophies today, synched in maybe a minute. 

I've only been able to synch my trophies twice in the last 14 months (Once after trying for a couple hours, and once after I got a new hard drive)- so i'm really, really hoping this patch allows me to get trophies on my PS3 again- I miss getting trophies on le PS3 :(

I think you reached a point that only creating a new account will solve anything. LOL

You're asking a 13 years old system to load all of your 1294 0% trophy lists every time you sync. 

11 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

You need to delete some of those 0% lists and give the PS3 a fighting chance to sync the trophies.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:19 AM, Martain2 said:

You need to delete some of those 0% lists and give the PS3 a fighting chance to sync the trophies.

My PS3 has been fine synching since DLing the patch. I've even added more 0's w no issue...hopefully that continues. There are plenty of people with more games on their tag than me, and I don't buy 0's being any different. 

I've been able to patch my 2 PS3's without issues. But now 1/3 of the games I try to update the console freezes in the black screen after it tells me there's an update to be done to xxx version. It happens on both so it's not a feature one inherited now. This never happened before.

Trophy sync now usually takes forever.

Wonderful work. Go Sony...

Both my ps3's take forever to sync and this has been for ages. The super slim updated without issues however the Slim sat at %99 for ages though eventually finished. As far as the trophies are concerned on the ps3 I dread the though of even getting one.