Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

11 hours ago, Copanele said:

OH WOW IT'S VERGIL FROM DEVIL MAY CRY! Why you summoning swords boi?

Nah but really  that boss is so goddamn epic, it gets my gaming blood boiling xD (anime much I know). They really did a fine job with this game. God bless those quick change scrolls lmao.

He is indeed! Very well designed, very fun boss. It sucks that I had to resort to such defensive methods, but the alternative would have been grinding for another build, or summoning. Not a fan of either, and without the buffs, the entire fight would have looked like the final third in the video above, and would have lasted for 15+ minutes.. Worked well this way, was fun regardless... ?

What I forgot to mention before... on Dream of the Demon, once an ailment has been applied (Poison, Scorched, you name it...) and it wears off, it is harder to apply it a second time. So even if it would have been possible to poison Yoshitsune once, it would not have been very useful, as it would be nearly impossible to poison him a second time.  

The next DLC is coming out this autumn... looking forward to more such awesome bosses! ?

11 hours ago, Copanele said:

What are the 3 cats doing by the way?

They are just adorable.. isn't that enough? :P

Serious anwser.. they do three things for me. First of all, they are a giant PITA for my opponent, as they keep distracting him. More importantly though, they do a fuckton of Ki-damage. The meta for Dream of the Demon seems to be Ki-destruction, but my build wasn't focused around that, so I was doing almost no Ki-damage to Yoshitsune. In the video, you see that throughout the fight I can grapple him a good handfull of times. That's sometimes because of Gust Talisman, which reflects his projectiles back at him, but most of the time it's those three cats draining his Ki. 

The other helpful feature is that they boost my Anima regeneration. Anima is needed for example for using Yokai abilities. In my setup above, you will see that I sometimes summon a wheel of fire. That's the Yokai Ability from a Yokai called "Kesha". I equipped her Soul Core and am thus able to use her ability: 

Koei Tecmo libera toneladas de lindas screenshots de NiOh 2 - Trivia PW

Now, towards the end of the fight, once the Scampuss (cats) are gone, you notice that I cannot use that ability anymore. That's because it takes a lot of time to gather enough Anima without them. Really helpful little guys. 

11 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I haven't gotten around to playing the first Nioh, as it sits on my shelf mocking me, but damn does this make me want to. That last 10% looked like it got a little sketchy compared to the first 90% of what looked like face tanking.

If the above looks even remotely appealing.. give it a go. I generally like Soulslike games a lot, but Nioh is without a doubt the most fun of them all for me (Bloodborne comes close). It is the most complex one as well though, just be aware of that... both in terms of combat, as in terms of putting a build together, learning how the smithy works, etc... 

If you start it and need some advice or pointers, I'd be glad to help though :) 

The face-tanking above might make it seem like it's an easy game on that difficulty, but trust me, it's not. If you don't spend time thinking about your build, you'll stand no chance. Luckily for me I have meanwhile spent well over 300 hours with both Nioh and Nioh 2, so I knew what I needed to "improvise" to make the fight work...

Once my defensive items and such were gone for the last 10%... yeah, needed to take it slow.. You could call that sketchy for sure ?

10 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

O wow. That looks pretty cool. It looks like Nioh has a much faster battle system compared to any Soulsborne game. Is that true? I tried Bloodborne but it was just too slow for my liking, but I also have Nioh from Ps Plus. I’m going to download it and give it a try.

Yes, and no. The fight above is really, REALLY fast, but not all enemies are like that. In general, though, I would say that yes, Nioh allows for the faster combat. But it also depends on your build of course. You could go full tank with heavy armor and an axe, and you will have long wind-ups and slower hits. ?

Above.. I am even using high stance all the time... which is the slowest stance. I could hit quicker in low stance, and instead of dodge-rolling I would then be side-stepping. Would make my moves even faster! ?

So to summarize... You can play a build that feels as slow as any build in Souls / Bloodborne, but you have plenty of options to be lightning fast while still having a viable build for the highest difficulties. 

Enemies in general are quicker, with shorter wind-up animations, so you gotta react quickly. However, the above Boss makes other enemies look like sloths in comparison :) 

Lemme know what you think once you try it out! 

• Like 2

Wow that build looks awesome! I still need to tackle Nioh 2 DLC way of the Demon is definitely no joke so well done :) I wonder what we will see in the next DLC. I am not really looking forward to farm a ton to get a desired build so we will see what I will end up with. I really enjoy the Glaive so wondering if there is a build around which doesn't require a ton of farming. 

• Like 1

I feel like Nioh and Nioh 2 were meant to be played in co-op. 

Every Dark Souls game and practically all From Software game, while you can be carried in all of them, can easily be done solo. Once you get past the difficulty curve they aren’t that hard as long as you do your research. I definitely think the difficulty is hugely exaggerated. Of course doing them solo is going to take you longer. 

Nioh on the other hand seems to go above and beyond what Dark Souls set and challenge the player to where builds mean do or die. I imagine the vast majority of players in Nioh 2 got co-op because I feel the game was intentionally designed to be played that way. 

On 9/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, Spaz said:

I feel like Nioh and Nioh 2 were meant to be played in co-op. 

Nioh on the other hand seems to go above and beyond what Dark Souls set and challenge the player to where builds mean do or die. I imagine the vast majority of players in Nioh 2 got co-op because I feel the game was intentionally designed to be played that way. 

Hmm, I actually don't think that's the case... Mainly for two reasons. The way coop works in this game is really convoluted. But anyways, once you figure it out there are still two issues

• Summoning a player costs a certain ressource (Ochoco Cups). Those need to be farmed by summoning and killing revenants from their grave, you don't simply get these cups by playing through the game normally. 
  • Most importantly, you can only summon someone that has already completed the mission you want to play in coop

I think the second part shows that these games are not necessarily meant to be played in coop. You cannot just play through the game with a friend. You can only get help from people that have already cleared the mission you want help for. It is a way to make the game easier for some, but it is not the standard way to play the game. 

In any case, you are right that the game is more challenging than the souls games, and builds mean EVERYTHING on NG++ and above, but not on NG or NG+. The first playthrough I would say is about the same level of challenge than your regular Souls game, maybe with a bit of a steeper difficulty curve to overcome because of all the different mechanics there are to learn. But if you want to do NG++ then yes, you need to spend time with the game. Which I think is a fair requirement... You don't have to do anything in NG++ for the plat, and I think it is fantastic that anyone can enjoy the game without spending hours and hours learning the mechanics, but there is still something in the game for players that like min-maxing. 

Oh, yeah... we finished the first Trine, and I FINALLY started Nex Machina :) I'm really liking it so far! I did one Arcade Run directly on Experienced difficulty, and already did most of the Misc trophy-tasks as well. I will do the Gold Medals in the arena next to get used to the individual worlds, and will then tackle the Experienced Arcade Run without continues... Should be a decent challenge! This game can become really hectic ?

The review for Trine should follow soon as well :) 

17 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Hmm, I actually don't think that's the case... Mainly for two reasons. The way coop works in this game is really convoluted. But anyways, once you figure it out there are still two issues

• Summoning a player costs a certain ressource (Ochoco Cups). Those need to be farmed by summoning and killing revenants from their grave, you don't simply get these cups by playing through the game normally. 
  • Most importantly, you can only summon someone that has already completed the mission you want to play in coop

I think the second part shows that these games are not necessarily meant to be played in coop. You cannot just play through the game with a friend. You can only get help from people that have already cleared the mission you want help for. It is a way to make the game easier for some, but it is not the standard way to play the game. 

In any case, you are right that the game is more challenging than the souls games, and builds mean EVERYTHING on NG++ and above, but not on NG or NG+. The first playthrough I would say is about the same level of challenge than your regular Souls game, maybe with a bit of a steeper difficulty curve to overcome because of all the different mechanics there are to learn. But if you want to do NG++ then yes, you need to spend time with the game. Which I think is a fair requirement... You don't have to do anything in NG++ for the plat, and I think it is fantastic that anyone can enjoy the game without spending hours and hours learning the mechanics, but there is still something in the game for players that like min-maxing.

I know very little of Nioh and Nioh 2 myself, I don't plan to play these games for a long time anyway. I was just curious in how other people looked at them, especially if they finished them.

Many people have said getting the 100 percent in Nioh is quite challenging. You also stated that people who cheesed their way through the first game are getting wrecked in Nioh 2, because they don't know what to do.

So I can guess this is a more complex game than the Souls titles? Nioh 2 has a ridiculously high percentage rate for it's platinum, much higher than Bloodborne which I didn't find that hard at all. Did everything solo in Bloodborne and got it all done in just over a week because I loved it. For the Nioh games it sounds like I'm going to struggle for the better part of a month or two.

Then again you can make the argument that comparing Nioh to Dark Souls is like comparing apples to oranges. Both have their own design and style, and both weren't exactly meant to be played in the same fashion.

I was never a min-max player, I don't find that to be all that enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review as always.

I fully agree with you but I actually didn't yet have the motivation to complete the hardcore run as its still so easy to die from all sorts of hazards in these looooong ass levels and its just frustrating to replay it all... Especially if you die to the games stupid hitboxes or bugs instead of your own mistake. I'm now slowly working my way through, doing 1 or 2 levels a day ?.

Really iterested in what you think about The End is Nigh as I love McMillens work and I've also been looking at the game for a while now.

And I'm really looking forward to diving into the world of Vermintide 2. This will be a huge project but we will nail it as we always do ?

Edited by Koro249
  • Like 1

Great review and well done on Trine! I'm not big into puzzle games, but I decided to complete both trine 1 and 2. I didn't really like it that much and with all the issues in co-op like you mentioned I don't see me playing the games ever again. I also heard that Trine 3 is rushed and not even complete. 

Looking forward to your experience with the latest Nioh 2 DLC! Still need to tackle both DLC. But The Witcher 3 needs to be platted first for my #50 milestone :)

• Like 1

@Arcesius I saw some claws gameplay yesterday from a friend who is nuts about this game...man oh MAN if you have the time please try them and tell me how they feel xD because from what I have seen they are the most fun stuff to try in these types of games. Going Fist of the North Star in Nioh looks so satisfying.

• Like 1

Nioh 2 already got more damn DLC?

If the game is already hard for filthy Soulsborne casuals like myself, it will be a LONG time before I'll ever get around to Nioh and Nioh 2 and finish them.

Good job on getting Trine 2: Complete Story and Nex Machina done. Looking forward to your review on Nex Machina, wonder how "doable" it will be for a guy like me. Between Nex Machina, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, Matterfall and Alienation, I'm not sure which one is the best. Still need to go back and wrap up some of the Resogun DLC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

If the game is already hard for filthy Soulsborne casuals like myself, it will be a LONG time before I'll ever get around to Nioh and Nioh 2 and finish them.

It's DLC 2 out of 3 even :D they will release a third one too. And yeaaaah they are tough. Actual tough.

One annoyance is that the difficulty is always in the DLC, why is the plat always so easy in comparison and makes the DLC the real challenge? I hate to see this trend usually within games these days. Either way, I am interested to see what the fist will do with the new DLC like Copanele mentioned that could be really kickass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

@Arcesius I saw some claws gameplay yesterday from a friend who is nuts about this game...man oh MAN if you have the time please try them and tell me how they feel xD because from what I have seen they are the most fun stuff to try in these types of games. Going Fist of the North Star in Nioh looks so satisfying.

Well, as usual, you need to get the Mystic Art with the new weapon, so I will be playing Wolverine whether I like it or not ? But I always dual-wield, so dual-fists should fit my playstyle just fine... I dunno if I want to grind to put a DotD together for the new weapon though... I currently have +18 divine gear, and it would take quite a while to put together a decent claw build... But I might do DotD with my current Dual Sword build and play some NG with claws :) 

Will definitely let you know what I think about it! 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Yeah, same as Nioh, there are 3 DLCs planned. I got the Season Pass though... I usually don't get games on release, or pay full price for them.. with Nioh 2, I just got the Digital Deluxe Edition pre-launch, I just love the game so much ?

And it's definitely worth it... By the time I'm done with DLC3 I will have spent ~200h with Nioh 2 I estimate, so it was definitely worth paying full price... And the game has no performance issues or anything like that, no bugs (that I encountered).... it was really polished from the start. 

Can definitely recommend both games, but they are a time investment, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Good job on getting Trine 2: Complete Story and Nex Machina done. Looking forward to your review on Nex Machina, wonder how "doable" it will be for a guy like me. Between Nex Machina, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, Matterfall and Alienation, I'm not sure which one is the best. Still need to go back and wrap up some of the Resogun DLC.

I should have the review up next week. It is definitely doable. I am putting together a guide and I would rate it 7/10 and around 30 hours for the plat, give or take. It is around the same difficulty as Furi I'd say, only that you cannot save-scum since it's an Arcade game (maybe a bit easier..?)

Note that Furi would be way harder than Nex Machina if you couldn't save-scum. But using saves, I'd put both games around the same difficulty. 

I will pick up Matterfall next time it goes on sale. I played Alienation with @BB-BakkerJ and I thought it was a ton of fun, so can definitely recommend that one, at least if you can play it in coop. But I still think Nex Machina is even better :) 

40 minutes ago, ZoutjeNL said:

One annoyance is that the difficulty is always in the DLC, why is the plat always so easy in comparison and makes the DLC the real challenge? I hate to see this trend usually within games these days. Either way, I am interested to see what the fist will do with the new DLC like Copanele mentioned that could be really kickass.

Especially because of DotD... If you needed to complete the base game on DotD for the plat, it would already be more difficult, but NG isn't the real Nioh... you don't need to think much about builds or anything. The real game starts with NG++ in my opinion, and is also the most fun difficulty to play for me. 

I'm jumping into the DLC today, straight on DotD, as I already did with the first one... no idea what to expect! :D 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

-snip-

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time for a change. :D 

Solid review as always, keep it up. ?

Regarding the "devs have been nice", I 100% agree. Like you've said, it could have been a 9/10 or even 10/10.

To my shame, I've never managed to beat TLB on Experience difficulty, so just imagining it on Hero or Master...

Did you have any shortage of feats to do? If I remember correctly, I just had enough "easy" feats to reach 100. I think 125 could have been much more difficult already, could be wrong though.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with TEiN, I'll join you soon. :)

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mori said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time for a change. :D 

Solid review as always, keep it up. 1f44d.png

Thanks man, always appreciate a nice feedback :) 

Regarding the "devs have been nice", I 100% agree. Like you've said, it could have been a 9/10 or even 10/10.

To my shame, I've never managed to beat TLB on Experience difficulty, so just imagining it on Hero or Master...

Did you have any shortage of feats to do? If I remember correctly, I just had enough "easy" feats to reach 100. I think 125 could have been much more difficult already, could be wrong though.

I think there were still a couple that would have been alright... Not saving any humans on each world (I only did Techno Forest for the Nihilist trophy), saving ALL humans in each world on Veteran (again, only did Techno Forest), killing a certain amount of each enemy... But it stops there... I think ~110-115 would still have been fine, even if already more time consuming than getting 100, but 125 would have been pretty hard already! 

Anyway, good luck and have fun with TEiN, I'll join you soon. :)

14 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Fastest time is 6 days, 3 hours. You can do it.

Well, by that logic, fastest SMB time is sub 10 hours, so what are you waiting for, @HusKy? ?

In all honesty, I think TEiN will be pretty difficult. The game only has ~300 owners (and only 23 platinum achievers), so the percentages are not very significant. Completing all cartridges will be tough. 

On Steam there is an achievement for beating the game deathless. That would have put TEiN above SMB in terms of difficulty. But with the current trophy list, it should be a bit more manageable, but still challenging.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Fastest time is 6 days, 3 hours. You can do it.

Sure, give me 5 days. :D

8 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Well, by that logic, fastest SMB time is sub 10 hours, so what are you waiting for, @HusKy1f605.png

Yeah Husky, what are you waiting for? After Crash 4, you do SMB, how about that? :) 

In all honesty, I think TEiN will be pretty difficult. The game only has ~300 owners (and only 23 platinum achievers), so the percentages are not very significant. Completing all cartridges will be tough. 

Did you expect it to be easy? :D But yeah, Koro recently sent me an interview with Edmund McMillen where he says that TEiN is (or might be) the most difficult game of his.

Spoiler

On Steam there is an achievement for beating the game deathless. That would have put TEiN above SMB in terms of difficulty. But with the current trophy list, it should be a bit more manageable, but still challenging.

Devs have been nice again. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

40-platinum.png Platinum #75 – Nex Machina

L1a73cf.png

Congratz on getting the platinum in this beast of a game. I tried it a while back and liked what I saw, but my skills were not up to snuff at that time. I recently jumped back into it a little to help bring down my unearned trophy count and it is just a fun game to pop in for quick breaks. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the platinum, but I'm going to see what I can knock out, I'm not that good at these bullet hell type of games. If there is one of these I'm going to get to better at, it might as well be this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mori said:

Did you expect it to be easy? :D But yeah, Koro recently sent me an interview with Edmund McMillen where he says that TEiN is (or might be) the most difficult game of his.

Reveal hidden contents

Haha not at all ? But it's kinda weird to think that this game is THAT challenging given that it's not even UR. You know how it is.. you start a UR game, you have the mentality of "this is gonna be a bitch"... With this game.. it seems so tame, but it will definitely be a challenge. But a fun one, I'm sure! 

Awesome video by the way... Noclip has excellent documentaries. This dude is one interesting guy to listen to! 

1 hour ago, Grotz99 said:

Congratz on getting the platinum in this beast of a game. I tried it a while back and liked what I saw, but my skills were not up to snuff at that time. I recently jumped back into it a little to help bring down my unearned trophy count and it is just a fun game to pop in for quick breaks. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the platinum, but I'm going to see what I can knock out, I'm not that good at these bullet hell type of games. If there is one of these I'm going to get to better at, it might as well be this one.

It definitely is fun for short breaks. That is the advantage of a world only taking a couple of minutes to beat... ? I usually don't play bullet-hell type of games either, so I cannot really say that I'm good at them... I think Furi was the first game in this direction, but also the only one I've played besides Nex Machina. 

Have fun with the game!! The platinum is a decent challenge, won't deny that! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!! I'm actually writing a guide for the game, so I hope to be able to give helpful hints :) Also, a couple of people frequenting this checklist have also played the game and I'm sure they would also be glad to help you out! So, just ask away! 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1