voodoo_eyes

Kill Your Completion 9

323 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I'm not the biggest Tomb Raider fan, regarding anything pre-reboot (and the top-down twin stick shooter ones). I played the original a few years after release and thought it was crap, with it's bad camera angles, muddy look and clunky controls. It needs to be said I used to play mostly on PC back then and my go-to genres tended to be CRPGs, FPS, and RTS. I enjoyed Tomb Raider II a bit more, but still wouldn't consider it more than just OK. Pretty much skipped every game since then, until I tried TR Underworld a few years ago. Again, it was fairly mediocre and still had the somewhat clunky gameplay and awful camera angles.

 

While the original games were certainly not flawless, I've found that the reboot didn't have that sense of exploration that pervaded the original games and the "tombs" had all the complexity of a messy closet. 

 

As well, for all the hype the reboot had about how Lara had to do what she did to survive (you know, because men are such horrible people), she had no issue mowing down hundreds of people (bad men) by the end of the game (surely the trait of a bad person) without so much as a stoic glance and to me it felt way more like Uncharted featuring Lara Croft than a Tomb Raider game. The tacked-on MP only added to that feeling.

 

I realize games evolve. In the age of walkthroughs being in peoples' hands before they even start a game it really removes that exploration factor. Unfortunately, for me, that exploration was why I hung out with Lara in the first place.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

 

While the original games were certainly not flawless, I've found that the reboot didn't have that sense of exploration that pervaded the original games and the "tombs" had all the complexity of a messy closet. 

 

As well, for all the hype the reboot had about how Lara had to do what she did to survive (you know, because men are such horrible people), she had no issue mowing down hundreds of people (bad men) by the end of the game (surely the trait of a bad person) without so much as a stoic glance and to me it felt way more like Uncharted featuring Lara Croft than a Tomb Raider game. The tacked-on MP only added to that feeling.

 

I realize games evolve. In the age of walkthroughs being in peoples' hands before they even start a game it really removes that exploration factor. Unfortunately, for me, that exploration was why I hung out with Lara in the first place.

 

  Thank You! That's a perfect summarization of my TR feelings as well. In the original, Lara was frustrating as all hell when she'd run off cliffs, but the puzzle-solving, platforming and exploration were great.

  I couldn't completely pin point why I didn't care much for the reboot, but you answered for me. And the MP was absolutely atrocious. One of the worst I ever played.  Everybody was hopping around to avoid getting shot. It was like playing with a bunch of gun-toting bunnies. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevvik said:

 

While the original games were certainly not flawless, I've found that the reboot didn't have that sense of exploration that pervaded the original games and the "tombs" had all the complexity of a messy closet. 

 

As well, for all the hype the reboot had about how Lara had to do what she did to survive (you know, because men are such horrible people), she had no issue mowing down hundreds of people (bad men) by the end of the game (surely the trait of a bad person) without so much as a stoic glance and to me it felt way more like Uncharted featuring Lara Croft than a Tomb Raider game. The tacked-on MP only added to that feeling.

 

I realize games evolve. In the age of walkthroughs being in peoples' hands before they even start a game it really removes that exploration factor. Unfortunately, for me, that exploration was why I hung out with Lara in the first place.

 

Personally I thought there was plenty to explore in the reboot, although I would agree that the puzzles were a bit lackluster.. While the platforming is different, I prefer it the way they did it in the 2013 iterration, as platforming with a camera that doesn't want to cooperate is something I'll gladly do without. The online is crap though. Yet the overall feel

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

@Kevvik @PerryToxteth 

I also ate up the old games, but still loved the reboot. I stacked that shit like a madman. :awesome:

 

I might grab the latest installment- Shadow of TR.  Reviews said the gameplay is similar to old Lara with puzzles and exploration and less gun play. And no MP! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I might grab the latest installment- Shadow of TR.  Reviews said the gameplay is similar to old Lara with puzzles and exploration and less gun play. And no MP! 

But you haven't lived until you shoot a poison arrow into your co-op partner, and it stays there making noise the entire session. :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.3.2019 at 3:48 AM, Kevvik said:

I completed the first large area (post-tutorial area) along with all the quests (I think) and have moved forward to the second area. I was fairly thorough in clearing but spent a lot of back and forth running until I found the teleporter tools.  I don't mind this game but again, it hasn't aged well. Some of the characters are a little stereotypical in ways that feel a bit crude now. I'll keep going, especially for nostalgia's sake but it's no longer anywhere near the ground-breaking title it was.  I would have loved to see a remake from the ground up with a modern engine and implementation of the features that open world gaming has become rather than what it was at its inception 2 decades ago.

 

I feel you. I played outcast a few weeks ago and i had the exact same reaction to it. Just so many things have moved forward since then. Back in the day when it released the game was groundbreaking in so many ways. The Game did not only revolutionize open world as a Genre, it was the first Game to have a full orchestral soundtrack, it had 3D sound, which in itself was just mind-blowing to me and in the German synchro, Slate was voiced by Manfred Lehmann who is also the voice of Bruce Willis. Oh the Nostalgia is strong with this on. Sadly the game really didn't age well. But THQ Nordic just bought the IP so maybe all hope is not lost.

Edited by ImBossy83
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up skipping TR for the day to wrap up a couple of previous games.

 

Finished Syndrome, but seemingly missed a collectible somewhere, so no plat. Would have to play the whole game again for that, and I don't have masochistic tendencies. I did however get the plat for X-Blades, and I'll actually lower the score for it as it is so utterly boring to play through. So it's now a :bronze:. Pretty poor game overall, still better than Syndrome though.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, coldsphinx93 said:

So I think joining this event and having the sense of obligation finally got myself in the mindset I have been after for so long; I'm finally not afraid of starting a new game, regardless of completion. So once this event concludes, I am going to go through my backlog and apply the same kind of rules. I'm going to decide which games I actually want to play and hide the junk. I will enjoy each game for three days and then move on to the next, UNLESS I absolutely fall in love with the game and have to keep playing it. The idea is to get out of this funk of not knowing what to spend my time on, and to reinvigorate my love for gaming. Thank you to the organizer of this event, it has inspired me to make the most of my gaming time and finally just play the games I want to play.

 

That's why I love this event so much.  This event cured me of my gaming OCD. I've learned to move on without stressing. @Hemiak was the originator, @voodoo_eyes Is the protége.  A BIG thank you to them both for arranging the events, as I've participated in 8 of 9 KYC's. 

Anybody got a perfect record of 9 for 9? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PerryToxteth I participated in every single one :P .  It's still my favourite type of event, as it's always fun.

 

@MidnightDragon It'll be throughout the month of July

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this as it's the second time already but I will bow out from this iteration of KYC.

The last few days made me realize that playing any game with some constraints (for a limited time, with specific requirements, etc.) ruins the for me right now. Even if we can freely switch the planned and played games during the event the thought that I "have to" play something and that I want to stick to my plan still stays in my mind and that can't be turned off so easily.

Nonetheless it was fun to read all reviews so far and I will gladly read all upcoming ones.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

 

That's why I love this event so much.  This event cured me of my gaming OCD. I've learned to move on without stressing. @Hemiak was the originator, @voodoo_eyes Is the protége.  A BIG thank you to them both for arranging the events, as I've participated in 8 of 9 KYC's. 

Anybody got a perfect record of 9 for 9? 

I participated in all 9 but not always with 10 games. I think I did one with 5 and two with 7.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 0:32 PM, coldsphinx93 said:

So I think joining this event and having the sense of obligation finally got myself in the mindset I have been after for so long; I'm finally not afraid of starting a new game, regardless of completion. So once this event concludes, I am going to go through my backlog and apply the same kind of rules. I'm going to decide which games I actually want to play and hide the junk. I will enjoy each game for three days and then move on to the next, UNLESS I absolutely fall in love with the game and have to keep playing it. The idea is to get out of this funk of not knowing what to spend my time on, and to reinvigorate my love for gaming. Thank you to the organizer of this event, it has inspired me to make the most of my gaming time and finally just play the games I want to play.

 

11 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

I hate to say this as it's the second time already but I will bow out from this iteration of KYC.

The last few days made me realize that playing any game with some constraints (for a limited time, with specific requirements, etc.) ruins the for me right now. Even if we can freely switch the planned and played games during the event the thought that I "have to" play something and that I want to stick to my plan still stays in my mind and that can't be turned off so easily.

Nonetheless it was fun to read all reviews so far and I will gladly read all upcoming ones.

 

I am also thinking that I will bow out. I feel like I actually want to play games again, not just focus on trophy hunting. I've bought a few games that I simply cannot wait to play, and starting them during this event seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having a list of games to play specifically for the event. I am proud of myself for finishing up to this point, I am willingly dropping out of an event that I was more active in, and didn't just wait it out to be put in an inactive pile, so there's that. Again a huge thank you to the organizers of this event and good luck to the people still in it. 😀

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.