The Last of Us, One of the Best game ever made! Share the love, update, Left behind!

TwilightSpira

I'm probably one of the few people that thinks The last of us is probably one of the most overhyped game ever...

Now bear with me, I'm not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, very beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where I'm coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of clichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have seen for a console game, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Video games where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of video games is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes video games, or art in general.

I didn’t mean to sound too negative about it but i just wanted to express why I think game sites giving it 10 out of 10 is complete shit.

I can definitely agree with you, its definitely not a 10 out 10, and this is coming from a guy thats always really enjoyed Naughty Dogs games but there is something different about this one, not that I hate it though   

• 1 month later...

Just finished it (haven't play DLC) and I have to say that I desire a sequel a right nao. :yay:

The gameplay overall gets pretty repietitive, but the storyline is what kept me tight all the time.

Guess I'll find it waaay more challenging on higher levels and even more laidback in new game +.

I really liked Joel, but we could see his emotions started to get over him at the end.

And Ellie is just straight-up cool and very likeable, the further you get into the story.

11/10 for the story, the feels and characters.

9/10 for the gameplay - challenging at times, fun, a lot of things to look for, just what I like.

• Like 1

By far my favorite game of 2013. Would have liked to see it on next gen, but I guess they could always do The Last of Us2.

It would be amazing :) even if it's not Joel and Ellie.

But they made Left Behind so perfect, that they can definitely work something out.

Just finished it (haven't play DLC) and I have to say that I desire a sequel a right nao. :yay:

The gameplay overall gets pretty repietitive, but the storyline is what kept me tight all the time.

Guess I'll find it waaay more challenging on higher levels and even more laidback in new game +.

I really liked Joel, but we could see his emotions started to get over him at the end.

And Ellie is just straight-up cool and very likeable, the further you get into the story.

11/10 for the story, the feels and characters.

9/10 for the gameplay - challenging at times, fun, a lot of things to look for, just what I like.

Play on Survivor, is the way The last of Us is meant to be played.

Play on Survivor, is the way The last of Us is meant to be played.

The gameplay is perfect on Survivor, as you said, it's how it's meant to be played. You feel the danger and urgency of everything and when people say that the gameplay boring or repetitive - I tell them what you just said!

• Like 1

The gameplay is perfect on Survivor, as you said, it's how it's meant to be played. You feel the danger and urgency of everything and when people say that the gameplay boring or repetitive - I tell them what you just said!

Glad to know we share the same opinion.

The gameplay It's beyond perfect on Survivor and just like you said the fell of danger all the time is amazing

After finally fully playing through this and the DLC, I still disagree. While the story was very well written, the gameplay was too mediocre to even be a canidate for the greatest game of all time (at least in my book). I didn't see where the game did anything phenominally different than other survival horror and stealth games. Again, the game is good and deserving of consideration for one of the (if not "the") best game of last year but nothing beyond that...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After finally fully playing through this and the DLC, I still disagree. While the story was very well written, the gameplay was too mediocre to even be a canidate for the greatest game of all time (at least in my book). I didn't see where the game did anything phenominally different than other survival horror and stealth games. Again, the game is good and deserving of consideration for one of the (if not "the") best game of last year but nothing beyond that...

Try playing it on the difficulty it was meant to be played on [survivor] then come back and talk about the gameplay.

Edited by KillCount2121

I'm probably one of the few people that thinks The last of us is probably one of the most overhyped game ever...

Now bear with me, I'm not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, very beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where I'm coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of clichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have seen for a console game, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Video games where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of video games is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes video games, or art in general.

I didn’t mean to sound too negative about it but i just wanted to express why I think game sites giving it 10 out of 10 is complete shit.

SPOILER ALERT:

I'm basically agree with all your statements, but I'm going to say that many positives elements you mention are Uncharted series but with other skin, so I'm not agree about the "never seen before".

And about what you say of the "out of this world" Story, I remembered many months ago people saying that they were tired of sci-fi stories, shooter games when you just run and shoot like crazy to everything, they wanted something not so common in games, so having this kind of story it must be a relief for them.

For me ND did an engaging family game, that kind of game that can be easily digested for any person and not necessarily a gamer, even when the plot is very simple, focusing the game in the character development was brilliant. You have the kinda father-daughter relationship, the smart teenager, the old guy trying to not be emotional. Characters bashing fashion, twilightesque movies. All those (like many say) cliche moments that make it a nice movie-game. What else could you ask?

Well, here's the thing ...

... When i try to put together that atmosphere Into gameplay it does not fit for me. The impact got reduced to dark places, scarce ammo and instakills enemies to make it feel survival, but at least in my experience i felt me more repressed (go for this way, do this) than to be in urgency.

I felt the linearity of the game, the distracting "allies"; the weird AI patterns, sometimes unforgiving (clickers seeing u when u don't move - how??? they're blind!), sometimes stupidly easy (even on survival), the last combat sequence (before get Ellie at the hospital) you can 90% avoid (in any difficulty) going straight to the door, and other things that overcame my enjoyment, for example when Ellie is protecting Joel with the sniper rifle and you spend your time going like Fischer cleaning the area and suddenly when u finished "tadah" 4 more guys (bye bye stealth mode)

Kinda odd the fact that you spend 75% of the game so religiously crafting Joel weapons, upgrading him and suddenly out of nowhere you play with Ellie(whom at that point of the game 102% of gamer love her and see as a dream come true playing with her) and results that this little girl is Rambo's mom, i won't deny that was cool to play with her but, her aiming is better than Joel, really, her accuracy with the bow is just flawless!!!

Idk, but even when i know that are different genres/stories and the pace is different, I definitely prefer Uncharted series.

Hey guys just wanted to thank you all so much for the feedback

Since it was my first topic here on psnprofiles, it means a lot to me that it still going and its about The Last of Us, which is one of the best games ever in my opinion, and the biggest surprise i ever had in gaming.

I feel really happy to hear all this.

Thanks

Edited by Marcelo
  • Like 1

Hey guys just wanted to thank you all so much for the feedback

Since it was my first topic here on psnprofiles, it means a lot to me that it still going and its about The Last of Us, which is one of the best games ever in my opinion, and the biggest surprise i ever had in gaming.

I feel really happy to hear all this.

Thanks

Well good topics always manage to survive, as do good games themselves.  B)

As for the topic at hand, I do agree that it is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. Otherwise, why didn't it bother me to spend the full price on the DLC and all those hours on the multiplayer as well as on the main game itself?

• Like 1

Well good topics always manage to survive, as do good games themselves.  B)

As for the topic at hand, I do agree that it is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. Otherwise, why didn't it bother me to spend the full price on the DLC and all those hours on the multiplayer as well as on the main game itself?

=) Im so glad to know you feel this way, The Last of Us is indeed the game of the ps3 for me

• Like 1

=) Im so glad to know you feel this way, The Last of Us is indeed the game of the ps3 for me

Oh man definitely! I grew attached to the characters themselves, especially Ellie(look at my PSN avatar) which is something I rarely do at all apart from a few other games I've played.

• Like 1

Oh man definitely! I grew attached to the characters themselves, especially Ellie(look at my PSN avatar) which is something I rarely do at all apart from a few other games I've played.

i know what you mean, we share the same PSN avatar, lol.

Ellie is a star and Left Behind just proved it how amazing she is.

Try playing it on the difficulty it was meant to be played on [survivor] then come back and talk about the gameplay.

Any game being considered the greatest of all time shouldn't have to rely on a second/unlockable playthrough to live up to that reputation. If it can't...

1. Make that sort of impression the first time through

2. At least do something like add different story or gameplay elements that can't be gained in the first go around

3. Have alternate endings that encourages multiple playthroughs

....then another play though on a higher difficulty rating isn't going to make a big enough difference for me. A series that does what you're saying well is Mass Effect because it actually rewards you for playing on the highest difficulty when moving further into the series. Tactics Orge: Let Us Cling Together and the Chrono series are other games that are really good at making very good impressions upon the first playthrough and giving several incentives to replay the game many different times and ways over. All of which I think are better games than this overall...but that's not to say TLOU isn't a good game regardless because it is.

Edited by merciful84

Any game being considered the greatest of all time shouldn't have to rely on a second/unlockable playthrough to live up to that reputation. If it can't...

1. Make that sort of impression the first time through

2. At least do something like add different story or gameplay elements that can't be gained in the first go around

3. Have alternate endings that encourages multiple playthroughs

....then another play though on a higher difficulty rating isn't going to make a big enough difference for me. A series that does what you're saying well is Mass Effect because it actually rewards you for playing on the highest difficulty when moving further into the series. Tactics Orge: Let Us Cling Together and the Chrono series are other games that are really good at making very good impressions upon the first playthrough and giving several incentives to replay the game many different times and ways over. All of which I think are better games than this overall...but that's not to say TLOU isn't a good game regardless because it is.

I just felt survivor really pulls the game together, all the 'surviving' aspects and urgency is 200% more realised.

• Like 2

I just felt survivor really pulls the game together, all the 'surviving' aspects and urgency is 200% more realised.

Well, can't argue that since survival horror isn't really my top choices of genres. When saying a game should be considered "the best ever made", the experience should transend genres and cause me to get so lost within it, that I total forget what type of game I'm playing and any bias associated with that.

A great example of this is Final Fantasy Tactics. I am not and have never been a fan of strategy games by any stretch of the imagination, but that game made such an impression on me when I was 13 that to this day (16 years later) I still consider it the best game that I've ever played. I also give just as much credit to Chrono Trigger in peaking my interest in JRPGs because before playing through it, I didn't like them.

Edited by merciful84

• 1 month later...

I disliked the single-player (and the MP, but let's focus on SP)

The cover system seems broken. In the dock area, enemies saw me through the metal boxes. In that section with Henry, Sam and Ellie at night time where you have to get past a gate, enemies saw me through a car (I was crouching). When crouched behind a stationary Runner, while stationary myself, the Runner would randomly detect me and kill me. Clickers (this is more of a Left Behind rant) can see through walls apparently. I was crouched in a dark corner, the clicker was around another corner and it randomly charged me. It's as if it smelled Ellie.

Then there's the annoying fact of having to do 2 playthroughs, 3 if you played before the Grounded DLC, 4 if you didn't get enough parts during the first 3 like me. Got really dull since I didn't even like it the first time round.

Then there's the fact enemy layouts change when you die. The section where Ellie snipes is a good example.

Then there's the predictable storyline... But I won't go into this point in case I end up spoiling stuff.

Overall, not an enjoyable experience for me. Just got the Firefly journey to go and I'll be done with this game for good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I thought it.. I knew The Last of Us its gonna be epic, something special that you won't get often. The game has a few errors, but its only the trophies error. If you guys know what I mean.. But it still a pretty good game, like Uncharted 3 just better. I hope Naughty Dog will make a 2nd The Last of Us damn I can't wait for The Last of Us Remastered. I finished the story already but its just, I want to see how it looks on PS4 and how they changed the graphic. The Last of Us might have some errors but it still a good game, everyone who played it know why.. the emotions are so real. Its not the greatest game but one of the best from Naughty Dog.

Hello, I thought it.. I knew The Last of Us its gonna be epic, something special that you won't get often. The game has a few errors, but its only the trophies error. If you guys know what I mean.. But it still a pretty good game, like Uncharted 3 just better. I hope Naughty Dog will make a 2nd The Last of Us damn I can't wait for The Last of Us Remastered. I finished the story already but its just, I want to see how it looks on PS4 and how they changed the graphic. The Last of Us might have some errors but it still a good game, everyone who played it know why.. the emotions are so real. Its not the greatest game but one of the best from Naughty Dog.

Thank you for the reply :) it makes me really happy to see that my very first topic is still active and bringing a healthy discussion about the The Last of Us. After all, this is what i wanted to be in the first place. 

• Like 1